Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stan Heath

Started by undertaker, December 29, 2005, 06:16:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman64

Quote from: undertaker on December 29, 2005, 07:55:21 pm
Hogman, my question is, why in the world should our best player be in the game against a team like texas st. or missouri st. He should be over on the bench whooping it up with the rest of the starters, watching a scrubs finish up the game. Not getting that crucial offensive rebound and put back with about 20 seconds to give us the lead. It just shows how far our program has fallen off in the last six years.

I see what you are saying, but if he was on the bench  you would be saying so what we blew out texas state, big deal, thats why game scores etc this time of year dont mean a whole lot , what i am basing my opinion on is that i think players like Jefferson and Ferguson and Thomas are just alot better this year and i think it will make us a better team. i think brewer shows more leadership which will also makes us better.. dont think either of us can prove our opinions yet, but it will all come out one way or the other  by a few games into conf season.........

Razorback88

Quote from: undertaker on December 29, 2005, 06:34:35 pm
Sports Guy, that was a great come back, you had a lot of statistics with that one, there is no way i can ever make a comeback on that one, good job. When you actually show me some stats, we can have a nice discussion, until then KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH,
Here's a statistic:

TheSportsGuy:  1
undertaker:       0

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on December 29, 2005, 10:08:05 pm
We never win??
huh..

Right on WMHFan, something else we agree on!!!
Heath is the man, and the b-ball team looks great.

Notshavin, he is an undertaker...I think he has been sipping the embalming fluid... ;D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I see..

Well..I think Stan Heath is a good coach.  The next part of the season and the next couple of years will determine if he is a great coach.  I have faith in him.  The thing I like the most is how his players seem to respond in the second half.  That says a lot about him as a motivator.  I think overally he manages the game well also.  My only complaint is I WANT TO SEE MORE OF MCCURDY.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: undertaker on December 29, 2005, 07:08:24 pm
Hawg advocate, would you please tell me what Kansas and Texas Tech are rated. and if you didn't know and judging by your sign of drinking beer you didn't then you would realize that this is Heath Fourth Year, and our recored is worse this year than it was last year. Put the Beer down man!

Who gives a darn where they're rated? Obviously you don't care about what Arkansas is rated. Those two teams have top tier coaching. if you're bitching about how we can't win games, I'm gonna keep throwing up our wins over top tier coaches. I mean, if you wanna talk about the ratings of other teams, then you can't talk darn about Arkansas, cause' we're makin a move towards the top 25.

I realize now you don't mean any of what you say. Bringing up my avatar of Dave Chappelle and his beer drinking..is that the best you can do?

Lame.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on December 29, 2005, 10:27:45 pm
I see..

Well..I think Stan Heath is a good coach. The next part of the season and the next couple of years will determine if he is a great coach. I have faith in him. The thing I like the most is how his players seem to respond in the second half. That says a lot about him as a motivator. I think overally he manages the game well also. My only complaint is I WANT TO SEE MORE OF MCCURDY.

I agree!  I believe that he has us heading in the right direction.  Now...if we can only agree on HDN!  Any chance? 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

not a chance in hell..go read my prayer in The Tavern.

But I still respect you WM. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on December 29, 2005, 10:34:23 pm
not a chance in hell..go read my prayer in The Tavern.

But I still respect you WM.

Allright...I'm headin there now!

silvertip

Quote from: undertaker on December 29, 2005, 07:34:54 pm
SilverTip, all I can judge this year is how we have played so far. Your Right, the real season starts in a couple of weeks, thats exactly my point. what makes you think we are far more ready for the Sec this year than last year. Is it because we beat a non ranked texas tech team, or a non ranked kansas team, or a is it because we barely got by the juggernaugts of Texas St. and Missouri St. I am sorry i don't see anything better about this team than last years. At least last year we blew out the people we were supposed to. this year we have a real hard time in the first half. I know you can overcome that against rice, missouri st, and texas st. but you can't in the SEC. We play like we have in those games in the first half then we will get blown out. I hope it doesn't happen, but i am afraid its coming.

Well, I wish we had more blowouts since we need to get Hunter, McGowan & McCurdy a lot of work.

I really do wonder if you know where to find Strength of Schedule rankings and the RPI. You keep bringing up Mo St as if you think we should blow them out. Mo St is a very strong team & their conference is so far ranked higher than the SEC. Just because they are not a "name" team to you just makes me think you need to learn a lot about NCAA BB.

You might feel better about the Hawgs if you realize that half the ranked teams have played a weaker schedule. You might feel better if you knew that most SEC teams have played a weaker schedule. You might feel better if you knew that this year's Hawg schedule is a LOT tougher than last years. If you go to secsports.com, you can look at SEC stat rankings and realize that the Hawgs are definitely on of the best SEC teams.

That's what you can do if you want to quit worrying so much about this team's progress. OR you can just sit around & mope if that's what you want.

CiriusPorker

I think it's funny that we haven't accomplished much this year and everyone wants to jump on the Heath bandwagon.  I've seen some improvement, but nothing stellar compared to the talent of the recruits that we supposedly got.  I'm willing to give Heath a chance to see how the SEC plays out, but I can see where undertaker is coming from.  With the talent that we supposedly got, one would think we'd be killing our opponents.  The only thing that makes us look like we're not competive this season is that we play at the level of our opponents.  If they're a bad team, we play bad, if they're a good team, we play good.  This is Heath's first HC job...so I think we will know if he's the real deal by March...until then, we just have to let him coach and give him a chance to succeed.

silvertip

December 30, 2005, 01:09:59 am #60 Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:17:25 am by silvertip
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on December 29, 2005, 10:07:01 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on December 29, 2005, 07:48:23 pm
SilverTip, all I can judge this year is how we have played so far. Your Right, the real season starts in a couple of weeks, thats exactly my point. what makes you think we are far more ready for the Sec this year than last year. Is it because we beat a non ranked texas tech team, or a non ranked kansas team, or a is it because we barely got by the juggernaugts of Texas St. and Missouri St. I am sorry i don't see anything better about this team than last years. At least last year we blew out the people we were supposed to. this year we have a real hard time in the first half. I know you can overcome that against rice, missouri st, and texas st. but you can't in the SEC. We play like we have in those games in the first half then we will get blown out. I hope it doesn't happen, but i am afraid its coming.

Have you watched any of the games...Pretty much everything you have mentioned you could know by just reading the final score in the paper... The fact is that everyplayer on this team is playing as well and in most every case better than he did last year, we now have a star player that takes over at the end of close games, and the team as a whole finds ways to win games not lose them, you should try watching a few games..........I admit we dont really know until conference season gets going, but there are sure solid reasons to be optimistic at this point..............

Hogman, I know undertaker really well. Trust me, he watches a lot of the games, and knows a lot about BB...he is just disillusioned by his "great dislike" for whatever reason of Heath!!

WestMemphis, I will have to disagree with your statement that undertaker "knows a lot about BB." There is more to understanding BB than just watching a bunch of games & getting an "impression."

(1) He keeps implying over & over that Mo St is a weak team. That just shows a lack of understanding of the college BB. Last I looked, they are ranked higher than the Hawgs & their conf is ranked higher than the SEC. This is not football.

(2) he keeps saying that Heath's teams haven't made progress. Well, you can go to hogwired.com & get total season-end stats for every Hawg team & player back to 2001 at least. You can track FG%, RB, TOs, steals, blocked shots, assist-to-TO ratios, 3pt FG%, blah blah blah for each team & every player.
You will find that Hawgs as a team & each individual player have improved in the hugh majority of stats every year.

So, no, I don't think the undertaker "knows a lot about basketball" at all. And I don't appreciate people who come here whining about the coaching when they have no facts---and show no inclination to look at the facts.

camelt

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 30, 2005, 01:07:39 am
I think it's funny that we haven't accomplished much this year and everyone wants to jump on the Heath bandwagon. I've seen some improvement, but nothing stellar compared to the talent of the recruits that we supposedly got. I'm willing to give Heath a chance to see how the SEC plays out, but I can see where undertaker is coming from. With the talent that we supposedly got, one would think we'd be killing our opponents. The only thing that makes us look like we're not competive this season is that we play at the level of our opponents. If they're a bad team, we play bad, if they're a good team, we play good. This is Heath's first HC job...so I think we will know if he's the real deal by March...until then, we just have to let him coach and give him a chance to succeed.

I think you could make those same statements about virtually and D1 basketball program.  There is so much parity and the 3 point shot is the great equalizer.  Just win baby. 

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on December 30, 2005, 01:09:59 am
Quote from: WestMemphisHogFan on December 29, 2005, 10:07:01 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on December 29, 2005, 07:48:23 pm

Have you watched any of the games...Pretty much everything you have mentioned you could know by just reading the final score in the paper... The fact is that everyplayer on this team is playing as well and in most every case better than he did last year, we now have a star player that takes over at the end of close games, and the team as a whole finds ways to win games not lose them, you should try watching a few games..........I admit we dont really know until conference season gets going, but there are sure solid reasons to be optimistic at this point..............

Hogman, I know undertaker really well. Trust me, he watches a lot of the games, and knows a lot about BB...he is just disillusioned by his "great dislike" for whatever reason of Heath!!

WestMemphis, I will have to disaree with your statement that undertaker "knows a lot about BB." There is more to understanding BB than just watching a bunch of games & getting an "impression."

(1) He keeps implying over & over that Mo St is a weak team. That just shows a lack of understanding of the college BB. Last I looked, they are ranked higher than the Hawgs & their conf is ranked higher than the SEC. This is not football.

(2) he keeps saying that Heath's teams haven't made progress. Well, you can go to hogwired.com & get total season-end stats for every Hawg team & player back to 2001 at least. You can track FG%, RB, TOs, steals, blocked shots, assist-to-TO ratios, 3pt FG%, blah blah blah for each team & every player.
You will find that Hawgs as a team & each individual player have improved in the hugh majority of stats every year.

So, no, I don't think the undertaker "knows a lot about basketball" at all. And I don't appreciate people who come here whining about the coaching when they have no facts---and show no inclination to look at the facts.

Point well taken!

Pioneer Fan

I don't think the conference games will give us any measure of how good this team is. I just watched a horrible Auburn team barely beat Winthrop at home. The SEC seems to be down considerably. I could see us making the tournament this year as a five seed and getting beat in the first round.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

camelt

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on December 30, 2005, 01:18:05 am
I don't think the conference games will give us any measure of how good this team is. I just watched a horrible Auburn team barely beat Winthrop at home. The SEC seems to be down considerably. I could see us making the tournament this year as a five seed and getting beat in the first round.

Again, you can say that about all but maybe 10 teams in the country.  The NCAA tourney is becomming a crap shoot, which makes it fun.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: cameltoe on December 30, 2005, 01:19:55 am
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on December 30, 2005, 01:18:05 am

Again, you can say that about all but maybe 10 teams in the country. The NCAA tourney is becomming a crap shoot, which makes it fun.

I agree with you somewhat, but there are more than 10 good teams this year. I do like the fact that a Nevada or Wisconsin-Milwaukee actually wins some games. It makes for a funked up bracket.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: HogZ28 on December 30, 2005, 02:00:04 am
so we havent blown out some teams we should have, but a win is a win. i think playing close games will help the team alot more down the road than blowing out someone by 30-50 points.....

i would like to see us back to the way we were in early to mid 90's, but i know to build a really great program it takes time........yeah i was disappointed in last year big time, but i think they have learned from it and in the next couple of weeks we will know...........so all i gotta say is

GO HOGS GO

You reminded me of Nutt with that last line.  If you ever watch the HDN show..when they're in the locker room..he does that exact same thing..

All we gotta do is...

Hit that line, hit that line...

pretty cheesy on the television show