Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 11:02:48 am

You idiots...

Started by Hawgon, February 08, 2006, 09:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

thinking McCurdy cost us that game have obviously never played basketball.  Why on earth would a coach ever pull a freshman off the bench who has not played in the game at all and ask him to play in crunch time.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Heath is an idiot!  He makes bone headed substitutions like that all the time.  McCurdy should not have been in there and then he shouldn't have touched the ball while he was.  You design a play where you put the ball in Brewer's hands and make them foul our best player in crunch time.  This is the worst team ever and Heath is the worst coach ever.  They shouldn't even let him on the plane back to Fayetteville.

fu-man-soo

just like they shouldn't let you post anymore.  i repeat.. all d-1 b-ball players should be able to make free throws at any time

Josef

I agree with you hawg....makes no F*ING SENSE! leave the same lineup in there that gave us the lead!!!! Heat are you trying to lose???

Sonofahog

Quote from: fu-man-soo on February 08, 2006, 09:15:48 pm
just like they shouldn't let you post anymore.  i repeat.. all d-1 b-ball players should be able to make free throws at any time

He should have made one. But he SHOULD NOT have been in the game at that point.  D-1 players make free throws??  Most teams average about 63% from the line.  It was a bad move to have him in the game.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

The Professor

Brady was smart enough to tell his players to foul the rookie...Heath was over there thinking about...ummmm...don't know.
----All games should be in Fayetteville PERIOD----

Father Swine

Quote from: fu-man-soo on February 08, 2006, 09:15:48 pm

and d-1 coaches should know how to coach.  Let's hire one for next year.

bigunit

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lilpiggy

stan should have to walk home

lunchbox72703

Ark Blitz

It was a FREE THROW!!  If he suppose to be one of the top free throw shooters he should have made one.

If it was Thomas, Jefferson, Brewer, Townes or Monica everyone on this board would be talking about them.

McCurdy = Choke tonight.  He is a D 1 player in the SEC. 

Please stop making EXCUSES!!

Tylerhog

Heath is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stupidest (if its a word) thing I have ever freakin seen. STUPID!!!!!!

lilpiggy

send him down the road kicking rocks

SiriusHog™

i'll just repeat what i said in another thread:

'94 championship game against duke, final minute, close game.. hogs need to make FTs to ice the game, corey beck is fouled, makes the first, then the refs find blood on his arm and he has to go out.  Al Dillard comes off the bench ICE COLD to take the FT for him in the most pressure packed moment of his life, and calmly sinks it, hogs win.  mccurdy choked, plain and simple, it wasnt heaths fault, if mccurdy makes the FTs, you guys are saying "ITS ABOUT TIME HE PUT MCCURDY IN!!!"..

codeHog

you want to see Jefferson at the line ....again?

Brewer could have won it,, Brewer had the ball at the end,,,why no blame for him?

songofthesword

are you actually tying to commpare alex freakin dillard to McCurdy?

hogfancb

Heath said on the post game "that he put McCurdy in because he is 83% FT"   Before this game McCurdy was 5 of 6 on FT's.  Out of 21 games he is 5 of 6.  Bad Coaching move on Heaths part.

lilpiggy

no matter, no better than we played, we did'nt deserve to win

Tylerhog

How many have you seen hit a big free throw after riding the pine for 39 minutes and be expected to do the deal for an idiot on the last play of the game. Say what you want, that was STUPID!!!!

lilpiggy

i say lock the gym up, turn out the lights and lets be done with this

arkiehawg

Quote from: Hawgon on February 08, 2006, 09:14:32 pm
thinking McCurdy cost us that game have obviously never played basketball.  Why on earth would a coach ever pull a freshman off the bench who has not played in the game at all and ask him to play in crunch time.  Absolutely unbelievable.  Heath is an idiot!  He makes bone headed substitutions like that all the time.  McCurdy should not have been in there and then he shouldn't have touched the ball while he was.  You design a play where you put the ball in Brewer's hands and make them foul our best player in crunch time.  This is the worst team ever and Heath is the worst coach ever.  They shouldn't even let him on the plane back to Fayetteville.

Why shouldn't McCurdy be in the game at that time?  He put his best ball handlers and FT shooters in at that point.  McCurdy is a 86% FT shooter.  The fact is he rushed his first FT and then choked on the second.  What would you have rather had Jefferson on the line....you would just B..tch about that as well.

What no has said is how well Heath drew up that play to put him on the line.  The ball was actually passed and being prepared for a slam dunk when McCurdy was fouled. 

Bottom line (and I like the kid) he choked....I don't care whether he is a Freshman or not....and off the bench or not....he should have hit at least one of the FT.

Chupin

February 08, 2006, 09:39:12 pm #20 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 09:40:45 pm by Chupin
Absofreakinlutely...  Great players make great plays at great times.  Doesn't matter if he's a freshman or a senior, 18 or 35.  The boys on scholarship and the "savior" of the hogs PG situation, an 80+% free throw shooter, and he can't make 1 out of 2? 

Give me a break... great coaches put their players in the POSITION to win.  If I've got an 86% free throw shooter on the bench, and the games on the line, i'm putting him in to give him the CHANCE to win it for us. 

arkiehawg

Quote from: The Professor on February 08, 2006, 09:25:29 pm
Brady was smart enough to tell his players to foul the rookie...Heath was over there thinking about...ummmm...don't know.

That is BS....look at the play...they tried to foul two other players before getting to McCurdy.....

Hawgon

Six [CENSORED] free throws all year.  He ain't no 83% shooter anymore.  That is the dumbest coaching move I believe I have ever seen, and boy, have I seen some dumb ones this year.  I don't know what is wrong with the man but he when he tries to think and coach in the last few minutes, he invariably posters it up.  Sorry Stan, Arkansas is not the kind of program where you should get on the job training.  Walk your ass home tonight.

Richard_white

5/6 is your best free thrower?..lol..no..and to compare Al Dillard to McCurdy, atleast Al Dillard got about 10 minutes a game compared to 2 minutes a game in McCurdy

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Bogarto on February 08, 2006, 09:26:34 pm
I like McCurdy, but a free throw is a free throw. I see tons of true freshmen in college basketball step up and hit big free throws.

bogarto, I see your point.  But AT LSU, with OUR road record, with a coach that obviously HATES him and REFUSES to play him and then THROWS him in like that COLD?  Doesn't that merit some consideration?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

johnny cash

Quote from: WarRazorbacks on February 08, 2006, 09:31:29 pm
i'll just repeat what i said in another thread:

'94 championship game against duke, final minute, close game.. hogs need to make FTs to ice the game, corey beck is fouled, makes the first, then the refs find blood on his arm and he has to go out.  Al Dillard comes off the bench ICE COLD to take the FT for him in the most pressure packed moment of his life, and calmly sinks it, hogs win.  mccurdy choked, plain and simple, it wasnt heaths fault, if mccurdy makes the FTs, you guys are saying "ITS ABOUT TIME HE PUT MCCURDY IN!!!".. Great post hit nail on the head.

Hums

We did throw the ball into Brewer he got double teamed and he threw the ball to Mccurdy, not like we designed a play to get him the ball. You put your best FT shooters in the game at the end.

Chupin

Free throws are all about mechanics, if the boy has the stroke to go 5/6, he has the stroke to go 86/100.  If you want to say that his percentage is a fluke, and that his late-game success is a fluke, hell I'd go along with it. 

That would require all you huggers to realize that McCurdy isn't all he's cracked up to be, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

hogfancb

Wasn't Dillard a senior?

Quote from: Chupin on February 08, 2006, 09:43:44 pm
Free throws are all about mechanics, if the boy has the stroke to go 5/6, he has the stroke to go 86/100. 

Free throws in THAT situation, ALL MECHANICS????
GO BACK TO YOUR SEAT, and return here when you have something INTELLIGENT to post.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: Bogarto on February 08, 2006, 09:46:03 pm
I still don't like Heath and I still like McCurdy. To say though that McCurdy didn't choke is inaccurate.

I agree.  But Heath is partly to blame for his choke.

murray-vegas

Quote from: hogfancb on February 08, 2006, 09:33:47 pm
Heath said on the post game "that he put McCurdy in because he is 83% FT"   Before this game McCurdy was 5 of 6 on FT's.  Out of 21 games he is 5 of 6.  Bad Coaching move on Heaths part.
I assume that the team has drills that ended like mine did in HS. Send a shooter to the line to hit both or do the drill again. I have to side with a coach putting a guy in who has hit FTs in a game before or a guy who hits them in practice. I've never seen a practice this year so I assume the coach had his best shooters in there. Has anyone seen evidence that McCurdy is a bad shooter? If not then I agree with the coaches decision.

Richard_white

Not partly but fully to blame

TXrazorback

McCurdy choked, absolutely, but WHY? WHY? WHY? did he have the opportunity to? 

That is the question that you guys should be asking.

I honestly believe that was a big "I told you so" from that a-hole Heath. 

HE IS A TERRIBLE COACH.

You people (morons) who want to make excuses for a coach who is 3-20whatever on the road of the ARKANSAS freakin RAZORBACKS bball team are simply stupid. 

END OF STORY get your heads out of your rears and then wipe of your glasses
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

Hawgon

Quote from: Chupin on February 08, 2006, 09:43:44 pm
Free throws are all about mechanics, if the boy has the stroke to go 5/6, he has the stroke to go 86/100.  If you want to say that his percentage is a fluke, and that his late-game success is a fluke, hell I'd go along with it. 

That would require all you huggers to realize that McCurdy isn't all he's cracked up to be, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, and your golf swing on the first tee in front of the clubhouse and all those foursomes waiting tee off is all mechanics.  That is right before you shank the ball onto the damn driving range and nearly kill some old lady out there working on her 9 wood you [CENSORED] dufus.

Chupin

So, shavin, it would be your opinion that somehow the mechanic of making free throws somehow changes when the games on the line?

You tell ME to make an intelligent post?  The reason he didn't make the free throws is because he choked and changed his usual shooting stroke.  Bottom line.  This isn't some bum off the street that we slapped a jersey on, this is a boy who is on scholarship at the university.  You would assume someone good enough to play d-1 ball on scholarship could make 1 out of 2 free throws, no matter the situation.

It's your opinion that it was coaching, not McCurdy, that lost the game.  Ok, who should have been at the foul line instead?

Hawgon, if I'm getting paid 10k a year to swing a club, or shoot free throws, I damn well better be able to do it.  End of story. 

Richard_white

Why isn't all people that are new are huggers?

SiriusHog™

Quote from: Hawgon on February 08, 2006, 09:40:23 pm
Six farging free throws all year.  He ain't no 83% shooter anymore.  That is the dumbest coaching move I believe I have ever seen, and boy, have I seen some dumb ones this year.  I don't know what is wrong with the man but he when he tries to think and coach in the last few minutes, he invariably fricks it up.  Sorry Stan, Arkansas is not the kind of program where you should get on the job training.  Walk your ass home tonight.

if mccurdy sinks the FTs, you're saying it was a great move...

Quote from: Chupin on February 08, 2006, 09:53:02 pm
So, shavin, it would be your opinion that somehow the mechanic of making free throws somehow changes when the games on the line?

You tell ME to make an intelligent post?  The reason he didn't make the free throws is because he choked and changed his usual shooting stroke.  Bottom line.  This isn't some bum off the street that we slapped a jersey on, this is a boy who is on scholarship at the university.  You would assume someone good enough to play d-1 ball on scholarship could make 1 out of 2 free throws, no matter the situation.

It's your opinion that it was coaching, not McCurdy, that lost the game.  Ok, who should have been at the foul line instead?

McCurdy.  BUT AFTER having actually broken a sweat and gotten into a rhythm.  We have all shot free throws at some point sweating and cold.  Furthermore, add the fact that it is OBVIOUS Heath doesn't think he can play, b/c WE HAVE NOBODY BETTER AT POINT.

YOUR point was that his mechanics sucked.  MINE is that there was much more going on than that.  I am not taking all of the blame away from him. BUT HE DID NOT COST US THIS GAME.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: songofthesword on February 08, 2006, 09:33:19 pm
are you actually tying to commpare alex freakin dillard to McCurdy?

just comparing the situations... and dillard was under ten million times more pressure...

SiriusHog™

Quote from: hogfancb on February 08, 2006, 09:45:11 pm
Wasn't Dillard a senior?

yes he was, and like i said before, he was cold and under ten million times more pressure..

TXrazorback

HE IS A TERRIBLE COACH.

You people (morons) who want to make excuses for a coach who is 3-20whatever on the road of the ARKANSAS freakin RAZORBACKS bball team are simply stupid. 

According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

Richard_white

Amen notshavin..karma to you

jkcrunch

Heath rotation on the play was horrible Mccurdy was sent to the middle of the floor to get the ball which mean he is going to be the open man.   Mccurdy and Thomas should have been switched.  Thomas was solid at the line the whole game and is a big target in the middle of the court.  I agree with Mcurdy being in but in the front court with Ferguson.  To this end Stan is a fault,  yet Mcurdy wants to be a d1 star and that is the situation he should begged to be in, ask him he will tell you he should have made the freebies.  Sorry folks FT are about mechanics and focus winners have that focus.   Beck was 50% from the line until the game was on the line and he became a stud.  If you hammered DJ then you have to hammer Sean

Hawgon

Chupin,

Answer this question?  Do you think it is smart to put someone in who is totally cold and expect them to win the game on the line?  Have you ever shot a free throw in a game situation in your life?  Do you know what it is like?  Have you ever shot a free throw to win a game?  If you haven't shut the Frank up because you don't have a clue what your are talking about.

Anybody can learn to shoot free throws. You don't have to have D-I talent to shoot free throws.  There are guys on this board who are better free throw shooters than anybody on our team.  But even so, anybody who has ever done it will tell you that you don't want to come in off the bench, ice cold, and be put into a situation like that.  Should he have made them?  Yeah, there is never an excuse for missing a free throw.  But shoud a real coach ever put a freshman in a situation like that?  No, of course not.  Heath lost this game, pure and simple.  A coach is supposed to make decisions that make things easier on his players, not decisions that put the wrong players in unbelievably pressure packed situations.

I mean what in the heck would you say if HDN put the third string field goal kicker into the game to make a 20 yard chip shot for no apparent reason?  Yeah, you know who you would blame that on when he missed.  There was no reason to put in McCurdy at that point.  None whatsoever and there were a ton of reasons not to put him in the game.

TXrazorback

Quote from: Hawgon on February 08, 2006, 10:01:39 pm
Chupin,

Answer this question?  Do you think it is smart to put someone in who is totally cold and expect them to win the game on the line?  Have you ever shot a free throw in a game situation in your life?  Do you know what it is like?  Have you ever shot a free throw to win a game?  If you haven't shut the frick up because you don't have a clue what your are talking about.

Anybody can learn to shoot free throws. You don't have to have D-I talent to shoot free throws.  There are guys on this board who are better free throw shooters than anybody on our team.  But even so, anybody who has ever done it will tell you that you don't want to come in off the bench, ice cold, and be put into a situation like that.  Should he have made them?  Yeah, there is never an excuse for missing a free throw.  But shoud a real coach ever put a freshman in a situation like that?  No, of course not.  Heath lost this game, pure and simple.  A coach is supposed to make decisions that make things easier on his players, not decisions that put the wrong players in unbelievably pressure packed situations.

I mean what in the heck would you say if HDN put the third string field goal kicker into the game to make a 20 yard chip shot for no apparent reason?  Yeah, you know who you would blame that on when he missed.  There was no reason to put in McCurdy at that point.  None whatsoever and there were a ton of reasons not to put him in the game.

Could not have said that better myself.................................or could I?:

HE IS A TERRIBLE COACH.

kyhog

It is interesting how, in some posters' opinions, it is always Heath's fault when we lose and it is always the players who win.  For the record, I think we hired Heath before he was ready to be a major conference head coach.  It's obvious that his road record in the SEC is abysmal.  Arkansas seems to lose every close game.  The only way they can win is if they win going away.

Now, about tonight.  If you want to criticize Heath for his offensive sets, style of play (I think we should play more uptempo), or substitution patterns up until near the end of the game, i can buy that.  But ask ANY coach who they will put in the game in the situation we were in near the end and they will tell you that you put your best free throw shooters and ball handlers in the game.  Heath did that.  When he deserves blame, I will place it on him.  He might deserve blame tonight, but not for the decision to put McCurdy in at the end.  It's amazing to me that some posters whine and complain that we don't put McCurdy in, then he gets in at the end of a game, misses two free throws, and the same posters whine and complain because we put him in.

McCurdy missed two free throws.  It's not the end of the world and it won't define his career.  He will be a successful point guard at Arkansas.  The shame of it is that we had a very good chance to FINALLY get an SEC road win against a good team.

As far as Heath's future, I have mixed feelings.  On one hand, I can absolutely see getting rid of a coach with the kind of record he has in (1) SEC road games, and (2) close games.  There are obviously coaching deficiencies.  On the other hand, Nutt has had many bad seasons and has been given a pass.  He has flirted with jobs at Nebraska and LSU, while doing a poor job of coaching OUR team.  If Broyles gives Nutt a pass, he should probably give Heath one as well. 

At this point, I am looking forward to baseball season.  How about that cross country team?

Chupin

Quote from: Hawgon on February 08, 2006, 10:01:39 pm
Chupin,

Answer this question?  Do you think it is smart to put someone in who is totally cold and expect them to win the game on the line?  Have you ever shot a free throw in a game situation in your life?  Do you know what it is like?  Have you ever shot a free throw to win a game?  If you haven't shut the frick up because you don't have a clue what your are talking about.

If McCurdy is truely the best shooter/freethrow shooter the teams got, as most of you "OMG MCCURDY IS HOGBALL'S JESUS" fans probably believe, then yes he should have been shooting those free throws. Yes, I played Basketball/Football in highschool, though the logic doesn't follow through, in any situation.

IF McCurdy was the best man for the job, which alot of you believe, then he SHOULD have been in that situation, no matter if he's a freshman or a senior, played 40 minutes or played 40 seconds.  If McCurdy isn't all that, like you guys say he is, simply say so and I'll say it was a bad decision to have him in the game. 

Would you be pushing Nut to put in a third string goal kicker?  Then why are you pushing for Heath to put McCurdy in?  I mean after all, you are the one comparing McCurdy to a third string player.  Logic betrays you!

devildog

I'm so glad I didn't watch the game. Sounds like you guys had fun with it.

When UA hires a coach and wins four SEC games in a row I think I'll tune back in.
I'm busy gettin my butt ready for Baum.

TennesseeRaz

That kid from Memphis that choked on his FTs in the conference tourney, costing Memphis a NCAA bid, was having a darned good year this year.  Here's to hoping McCurdy can use it to light a fire for next year.