Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have become Rice

Started by Jim Harris, September 19, 2005, 12:33:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Nutt has managed to turn us into Rice. A 70-17 result is what they expect out West when Rice is the nonconference opponent. The radio guys for USC and the LA-area writers were kinda shocked at the ease of it all. The radio guys on their post-game were loathe to call us "hapless" quickly adding, "well, hapless on this night." They didn't want to believe that Arkansas was as hapless as it appeared. At least we carried a reputation as a decent college football program into the Coliseum Saturday night.
But now, it's obvious we have become Rice. We have obviously recruited the kind of players Rice would be happy to land. Rice occasionally would have some good offensive players, good QBs and RBs and decent receivers, that a sound defensive and a potent offense on the other side would still be able to handle.  Meanwhile, Rice would have maybe one athlete at best on defensive and a lot of reaches who couldn't tackle, couldn't cover, looked lost, especially when they played Texas, or UCLA like Rice did a week ago. They would look very much like we did Saturday night.
Maybe around the late 1960s, when Rice became a perennial dormat, people like us today would sit around and say, "Man, I remember when Rice would kick ass back in the 40s and 50s. What happened to Rice?"
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

GrizzledHogFan

What did Rice ever do to you to deserve be insulted by being compared to us?
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Jim Harris

Quote from: gmb_79 on September 19, 2005, 12:38:04 pm
What did Rice ever do to you to deserve be insulted by being compared to us?

;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HighOnHogs

It was killing me watching the halftime show Saturday night and seeing the way they were joking and laughing at us.  Arkansas Razorbacks are a joke now.  We have taken Vandy's spot as the worst team in the SEC.  Thanks HdN.   >:(

Hawgzilla

FIRE NUTT---------FIRE HATFIELD..............

HogInMemphis

Quote from: drakehog on September 19, 2005, 12:33:51 pm
Nutt has managed to turn us into Rice. A 70-17 result is what they expect out West when Rice is the nonconference opponent. The radio guys for USC and the LA-area writers were kinda shocked at the ease of it all. The radio guys on their post-game were loathe to call us "hapless" quickly adding, "well, hapless on this night." They didn't want to believe that Arkansas was as hapless as it appeared. At least we carried a reputation as a decent college football program into the Coliseum Saturday night.
But now, it's obvious we have become Rice. We have obviously recruited the kind of players Rice would be happy to land. Rice occasionally would have some good offensive players, good QBs and RBs and decent receivers, that a sound defensive and a potent offense on the other side would still be able to handle.  Meanwhile, Rice would have maybe one athlete at best on defensive and a lot of reaches who couldn't tackle, couldn't cover, looked lost, especially when they played Texas, or UCLA like Rice did a week ago. They would look very much like we did Saturday night.
Maybe around the late 1960s, when Rice became a perennial dormat, people like us today would sit around and say, "Man, I remember when Rice would kick ass back in the 40s and 50s. What happened to Rice?"

Last year, we were Vandy. This year, we're Rice. We're sure as hell not Vandy this year but i wish we were. They are 3-0 and 2-0 in SEC already.

giveittoHillis

If were rice.... Well then

Oh god, look USC is stomping all over us!!!

_Collin1

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 19, 2005, 02:47:27 pm

Last year, we were Vandy. This year, we're Rice. We're sure as hell not Vandy this year but i wish we were. They are 3-0 and 2-0 in SEC already.

Move over in 2006 Rutgers... Here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Bomis Hawg

Unfortunatly, Rutgers is going to a bowl this year.  Sad.  Rutgers and Vandy are going to bowls. Kansas might.

Well, at least 80 wasn't posted on us and we didn't lose to UC-Davis or another D1aa team.  Wonder if Stanford is regretting the hire of Walt Harris, and if Pitt is regretting their replacement for Harris -- Quitterstadt?

THROWITDEEP

I have the 2005 Rice media guide here in my office.  I just read that they have not gone bowling since the 1961 Bluebonnet bowl.  They lost to Kansas 33-7.  Hatfield has had 3 winning seasons, but they did not go to a bowl.  That is in an Eleven year span. 

That is not very good! 
But now, it's obvious we have become Rice. We have obviously recruited the kind of players Rice would be happy to land. Rice occasionally would have some good offensive players, good QBs and RBs and decent receivers, that a sound defensive and a potent offense on the other side would still be able to handle. Meanwhile, Rice would have maybe one athlete at best on defensive and a lot of reaches who couldn't tackle, couldn't cover, looked lost, especially when they played Texas, or UCLA like Rice did a week ago. They would look very much like we did Saturday night.

Inigo Montoya

I believe ASU could beat us this year.

Biggus Piggus

drake, I think I used that Rice reference Saturday night.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 19, 2005, 04:56:36 pm
drake, I think I used that Rice reference Saturday night.

I'm always trailing you. but I'm glad we see it the same.

Biggus Piggus

How about some quotes.

http://www2.presstelegram.com/usc/ci_3041637

"We will play teams a lot better than Arkansas,'' offensive lineman Winston Justice added. "I thought this game was funny.''

"It does seem like a video game,'' tailback Reggie Bush said. "It was fun and easy at the same time.''

Freshman wide receiver Patrick Turner said he never imagined college football would seem so one-sided, no matter the opponent.

"I never thought it was going to be this easy. It's crazy how we outscheme them,'' Turner said. "I've never seen this kind of football. This is what made me choose USC.''

[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 19, 2005, 04:58:50 pm
How about some quotes.

"We will play teams a lot better than Arkansas,'' offensive lineman Winston Justice added. "I thought this game was funny.''

"It does seem like a video game,'' tailback Reggie Bush said. "It was fun and easy at the same time.''

Freshman wide receiver Patrick Turner said he never imagined college football would seem so one-sided, no matter the opponent.

"I never thought it was going to be this easy. It's crazy how we outscheme them,'' Turner said. "I've never seen this kind of football. This is what made me choose USC.''

and we wonder why players visit is, talk about how great the facilities are, and choose somewhere else.

texhog

Quote from: hogmommy on September 19, 2005, 03:56:52 pm
Quote from: hogapalooza on September 19, 2005, 12:42:37 pm
Rice, NO I don't think so.... They have people as smart if not smarter then vandy? So they have the same excuse vandy used for years....
We are more academic the athletic....
We can't say that....
We would be more like .....hmmmm

Baylor?

FIRE HDN!!

The admission standards at Vandy do not compare to those of Rice. Most "normal" (non-athlete) students going to Rice could have gotten into Ivy League universities. It really surprised me that they ever had a good football team (even though it was 50 or 60 years ago) because of their intense focus on academics.

Actually Vandy and Rice are almost identical.  For example, they both consistently rank in the US News & World Report's top Universities.  This last edition has Rice at 17th and Vandy tied with Notre Dame at 18th.  Vandy has the same requirements as Rice and yet still has to battle SEC teams every year.  Given that, I'd say they have done a respectable job. 

HogInMemphis

How about some quotes.

Son, that is hard to swallow right there if you are making your living in the athletic dept. at U of A.  And if you are JFB, HDN or any of the coaching staff or players and you read these comments, that's got to sting severely.

B Ray

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 19, 2005, 11:02:32 pm
How about some quotes.

Son, that is hard to swallow right there if you are making your living in the athletic dept. at U of A. And if you are JFB, HDN or any of the coaching staff or players and you read these comments, that's got to sting severely.
Sting ,,yes.what will they do about it though?

pioneerbasketball

How about some quotes.

talk about burn :(

BatesvilleHawg

Do some of you people sit around and try to think of retarded things like this to post?  Geez. 

Atreyu

July 28, 2006, 09:23:47 am #22 Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:33:29 am by pseudorabies
That pioneerbasketball has thought it funny to resurrect old threads.

POST EDITED:  Please leave name calling of the board.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

rockhog

surely you guys cant consider yourselfs razorback fans?  this is depressing post right before the season starts.

hogsNbeer

Now this is FUNNY....... :razorback: