Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Louisiana Sportswriter

Started by lahawg1, November 06, 2017, 08:04:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lahawg1

And I can't argue with him

There are only three games left, and this one coming up against Arkansas at 11 a.m. Saturday in Tiger Stadium on ESPN is not really a Southeastern Conference game because it's not really against an SEC opponent. This will be like a non-conference game, and not another Troy game. Because Arkansas is bad.

The Razorbacks (4-5, 1-4 SEC) could well be 2-7 and 0-5, considering their luck in beating Ole Miss, 38-37, on Oct. 21 last week, and Coastal Carolina, 39-38 on Saturday. The Chanticleers led the Hogs 38-25 in the fourth quarter Saturday before losing 39-38. Coastal Carolina is 1-8 on the season and 0-5 for last in the Sun Belt.

Arkansas is near the bottom in the SEC in scoring defense, pass defense and total defense. Three of its losses were by an average of 26 points. Just what LSU - the school on a never ending search for a quarterback - ordered. Then it's a date at Tennessee the week after that.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2017/11/05/not-before-but-now-right-time-lsu-take-long-hard-look-brennan-qb/834022001/

depressed_fan

please tell me this is fake news and a real Louisiana journalist doesn't view our program in this light. Please tell me it's fake. This isn't like a Tom Murphy or Bob holt or Trey Biddy or Bo Mattingly or Dudley Dawson is it?  Maybe a Robert shields type...........

EastTNHog

LOL gotta call it like it is!  Yikes.

Hogwild

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 06, 2017, 08:27:45 am
please tell me this is fake news and a real Louisiana journalist doesn't view our program in this light. Please tell me it's fake. This isn't like a Tom Murphy or Bob holt or Trey Biddy or Bo Mattingly or Dudley Dawson is it?  Maybe a Robert shields type...........
No, its Glenn Guilbeau, he is the LSU beat writer for North Louisiana, he also works for USA Today

hogsanity

Quote from: lahawg1 on November 06, 2017, 08:04:02 am

Arkansas is near the bottom in the SEC in scoring defense, pass defense and total defense.

But all of the Hogs problems will be fixed by hiring a spread offense 1st coach, lol.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

I hope their team feels the same way. It's our only hope.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 08:49:45 am
But all of the Hogs problems will be fixed by hiring a spread offense 1st coach, lol.

I bet we will be better than the crap your boy has rolled out.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 08:51:04 am
They lost to Troy.  They won't have another let down.  We won our last game 2 days ago.

LRrazorback

You see a problem with what the writer said?

hogsanity

Quote from: LRrazorback on November 06, 2017, 09:10:28 am
You see a problem with what the writer said?

No, seems pretty spot on. I thought it telling that what he singled out about the Hogs was how bad their DEFENSE is, yet all the talk among hog fans about a new coach centers on getting someone with a " exotic " OFFENSE.

Tell me, what won the biggest games last weekend? Iowa's DEFENSE forced multiple turnovers and crushed Ohio St. Mich St's DEFENSE shut down PN St. Miami's DEFENSE made VT look pedestrian. BAMA held LSU to 10 pts. Only the OU/OSu game featured absolutely no defense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

It will be called the Miracle in the Swamp. If the  Hogs pull off the win.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 06, 2017, 09:00:54 am
They lost to Troy.  They won't have another let down.  We won our last game 2 days ago.

I'm afraid you maybe be right...but still try to keep that glimmer of hope alive... until that rescue boat shows up...

East Clintwood

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 06, 2017, 08:27:45 am

How the hell else would he view us?  It is what we are.

We are Jeff Long's football team.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jjdlc

While it's hard to argue, that kind of viewpoint from Louisiana folks is a big reason we always seem to surprise them.  Not betting on it this year, but I just always find it funny.

Seebs

Sometimes you just got to take your butt-whooppin. I just hope none of our boys get hurt.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ShadowHawg

A modern approach to offense will help a ton. Rules changes have helped the offense gain advantages over the defense. Our ancient approach is giving away these advantages by not utilizing them.

If your view were correct, teams would still be running the bone and veer. Time to come into the present.

Youngsta71701

You do know you can run the spread without hurrying up right? Buck James did it at Camden Fairview for years and it works. Of course if the OC knows how to read defenses.

Get to the line of scrimmage as fast as you can. Give a couple of dummy counts. Get the defense to show their hand. Then call the play according to what the defense is giving you. There you go. Genius... ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HoggieStyle

Great bulletin board material for us, but I'm afraid he's not wrong.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 10:02:44 am
You keep posting this sentiment without anything of substance to support it.  Obviously you have a problem with the state of football today.  Tell us, how many college football teams run a traditional pro set?  How many NFL teams still run the traditional pro set we run?  You picked random games this past weekend to support your claims but it defies logic why you didn't mention last season's NC game.  You know how many plays Clemson ran?  99! 

The bottom line:  nobody is going to out-Bama Bama!  You have to spread them out and run their tongues out!  The same can be said for LSU, Miss St, UGA, Ohio St, Wisky, and a multitude of other top teams in the country when it is IMPOSSIBLE to recruit at their level.  The only way UA will compete with these teams is through scheme and movement.  Those two factors lead to confusion on the defensive side of the ball.  Coaches at college and NFL levels use rubs/pics to get separation for receivers, we DON'T! 

You know what I've seen in the NFL all season?  RPOs, bubble screens, jet sweeps, RBs spread as receivers, and TEs spread as WRs, not in traditional TE spots.  So if High School teams, the vast majority of college teams, and now, most NFL teams have abandoned the antiquated pro formation, why shouldn't we?

What say ye?

Where did I say NOT to hire a spread offense coach? What i said and have said for a long time, UNTIL THE DEFENSE IS FIXED it will not matter what type offense the run. I mean they gave up 38 pts ( one score was a defensive td ) to a team averaging 22 ppg iirc.

Again, fix the defense IF the goal is to win titles. If the goal is to just win some games, bring a guy to run whatever offense.

SemperFi

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 09:23:43 am
No, seems pretty spot on. I thought it telling that what he singled out about the Hogs was how bad their DEFENSE is, yet all the talk among hog fans about a new coach centers on getting someone with a " exotic " OFFENSE.

Tell me, what won the biggest games last weekend? Iowa's DEFENSE forced multiple turnovers and crushed Ohio St. Mich St's DEFENSE shut down PN St. Miami's DEFENSE made VT look pedestrian. BAMA held LSU to 10 pts. Only the OU/OSu game featured absolutely no defense.

We scored 39 points against a bottom dwelling Sun Belt team. The offense is not very good top to bottom, so I understand why people are generally focused on the offense. Today, to win, the Hogs need to have the ability to score from anywhere on the field instead of relying on our defense to get a stop or two. I am, however, a defense kind of guy and if we are going to lose I would rather lose 14-7 instead of 50-7 like LSU is going to do to us this Saturday.

This is just sad that an SEC opponent is looking at us like we're a rent a win.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

hogsanity

Quote from: SemperFi on November 06, 2017, 10:16:07 am
We scored 39 points against a bottom dwelling Sun Belt team. The offense is not very good top to bottom, so I understand why people are generally focused on the offense. Today, to win, the Hogs need to have the ability to score from anywhere on the field instead of relying on our defense to get a stop or two. I am, however, a defense kind of guy and if we are going to lose I would rather lose 14-7 instead of 50-7 like LSU is going to do to us this Saturday.

This is just sad that an SEC opponent is looking at us like we're a rent a win.

Lsu could win this game without throwing a pass, They could put up 400 yards rushing if they want to. 

This years offense is not very good, but for the most part offense has not been the problem for the last 15 years, and it was almost never the reason the Hogs lost the most important games.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 10:23:13 am
Lsu could win this game without throwing a pass, They could put up 400 yards rushing if they want to. 

This years offense is not very good, but for the most part offense has not been the problem for the last 15 years, and it was almost never the reason the Hogs lost the most important games.
Serious? We could've beaten Bama twice with better offense over the last 3-4 years. Some of our most important games our offense failed us just as much as defense.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 10:37:58 am
Ohhh!  Ok, I think we all keep misinterpreting your posts.  Yes, we all agree the D has to be better, but does it have to be elite with a high powered offense?  In the perfect world, it would be great to have both, but it's not a perfect world.  So, we see the traditional top ten teams consistently gobbling up the best D players in the country so how are we to obtain players to run this elite D?  TCU comes to mind, smallish quick linemen and LBs with aggressive back end.  Again, scheme. 

But yes, the D has to be better but without an explosive, point generating O, I don't think it would matter.  As long as Saban is around and Auburn and LSU keep piling up D recruits the way they are, we have to have an updated, unpredictable, O that run those guys to death, just like Clemson did Bama.  So, since we know BB and staff don't have the ability to provide either, there is zero to lose hiring an O minded coach.  Our D can't be any worse than what we've seen the last 3 or so years.

I think we are on the same page. IMO, it is not going to matter what offense they run, they are still not going to win titles. But, from what I read here, i do not think winning titles is the goal of the fans any more.

People keep pointing to Clemson and how they beat Bama. Even with a better than elite QB, and elite skill position players, and some very very good defenders, they still had to have a near miracle drive in the final minutes to win.

I still contend the problem for any coach at UofA is going to be inability to recruit enough talent to win more than 8 CONSISTENTLY. Regardless of scheme, there are going to be 3 or 4 teams on the schedule every year that just flat out have better players on both sides of the ball. Sure, a coach may out scheme one of them, maybe even 2 of them, but you are not going to make gains by constantly hoping to out scheme the opponent and trying to do so with less talent.

hoghearted

If your defense can't stop someone, you'd damn well better have an offense that can at least keep up.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Vantage 8 dude

There are only three games left, and this one coming up against Arkansas at 11 a.m. Saturday in Tiger Stadium on ESPN is not really a Southeastern Conference game because it's not really against an SEC opponent. This will be like a non-conference game, and not another Troy game. Because Arkansas is bad.

The Razorbacks (4-5, 1-4 SEC) could well be 2-7 and 0-5, considering their luck in beating Ole Miss, 38-37, on Oct. 21 last week, and Coastal Carolina, 39-38 on Saturday. The Chanticleers led the Hogs 38-25 in the fourth quarter Saturday before losing 39-38. Coastal Carolina is 1-8 on the season and 0-5 for last in the Sun Belt.

Arkansas is near the bottom in the SEC in scoring defense, pass defense and total defense. Three of its losses were by an average of 26 points. Just what LSU - the school on a never ending search for a quarterback - ordered. Then it's a date at Tennessee the week after that.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2017/11/05/not-before-but-now-right-time-lsu-take-long-hard-look-brennan-qb/834022001/
The painful and sad truth is that so much of what is written here is true. Nope, whether it's considered "fake" or not, the plain fact is that the Hogs are undeniably bad in so many phases of the game, especially on defense and special teams (although associating "special" with teams is a huge stretch). Yep, even with an LSU struggling, as usual, at QB this could be a very ugly game and fast. However, perhaps there are a couple factors that could possibly work in our favor Saturday. One is the early 11:00 am start; historically the Tigers have started very slow at home with these very early kickoffs. The other is the possibility that the Hogs haven been so embarrassed with their game against CC could use this as a game to try to reestablish some semblance of competitiveness in the SEC. Both are stretches, however, at this point those of us who still want the Hogs to do well (for the kids always) we have to offer some source of hope.

Cinco de Hogo

Hogsanity forgets that we won 21 games in two years with a defense that allowed "just" 22 or so points per game while running the power spread.  Ha but we scored 35 or so per game.

Strange stuff right there!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 11:12:17 am
Hogsanity forgets that we won 21 games in two years with a defense that allowed "just" 22 or so points per game while running the power spread.  Ha but we scored 35 or so per game.

Strange stuff right there!!!

And still lost the games they needed to win to actually win something because they could not stop the other team.

At some point your D has to be capable of getting a critical stop.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:16:35 am
And still lost the games they needed to win to actually win something because they could not stop the other team.

Right, out Bama, Bama. That's worked for how many schools exactly?  OSU was a very experienced veteran team and when we got our feet under us we whooped their butts.  A bad throw by Mallett was the only thing that saved them. 

The point is if Arkansas has a "place" in the SEC CBP proved where it is.   That's not good enough for you but what we have today sure is.  Every post you post and every thread you start is about the same thing.

By the way our defense was killing OSU the whole second half.

farmhawg

Keep your blinders on, fits you.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Youngsta71701

November 06, 2017, 11:28:14 am #29 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:57:18 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:16:35 am

I'll take 11 wins over 8 any day. 11 was the max under Petrino and 8 has been the max under Bielema. Last time I checked 11 was greater than 8. Just saying...I don't care how you win as long as you win. Although I am a huge fan of good solid football on both sides. I prefer 3 and outs and turnovers on defense. Not this bend but don't break stuff.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hogwild

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 06, 2017, 08:51:04 am

With Canada's history with CBB, they will be ready.  You know he wants to hang 50+ on CBB

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 11:23:51 am
Right, out Bama, Bama. That's worked for how many schools exactly?  OSU was a very experienced veteran team and when we got our feet under us we whooped their butts.  A bad throw by Mallett was the only thing that saved them. 

The point is if Arkansas has a "place" in the SEC CBP proved where it is.   That's not good enough for you but what we have today sure is.  Every post you post and every thread you start is about the same thing.

Show me one post where I have said whet we have today is good enough? I can show you several where I have said BB has shown he is not going to get it done in the SEC.

So now having a defense capable of getting a critical stop is trying to out bama bama?

Look, I get it, most people do not get excited over defense and most fans would rather watch a 65-58 game than a 14-10 game. If the goal is to just win some games, be entertained, and maybe make a run every now and then, go for it with a team that can't stop anyone but might have enough offense to outscore 8 teams a year.

IF, however, anyone still harbors thoughts o winning the secw, or the seccg, or making the playoff, then you better hope they hire a coach capable of building a defense.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Hogwild on November 06, 2017, 11:29:35 am
With Canada's history with CBB, they will be ready.  You know he wants to hang 50+ on CBB

Forgot about Canada, yikes.

1highhog

Seems to me that reporter must have came to the game this past Saturday and watched our Bielema led team almost get beat by the worst team in the Sunbelt conference.

Leadbelly

Yeah, well truth hurts!!!!
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

moses_007

We all should forward this news article to Jeff Long.

hogginbama

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 10:13:43 am
Where did I say NOT to hire a spread offense coach? What i said and have said for a long time, UNTIL THE DEFENSE IS FIXED it will not matter what type offense the run. I mean they gave up 38 pts ( one score was a defensive td ) to a team averaging 22 ppg iirc.

Again, fix the defense IF the goal is to win titles. If the goal is to just win some games, bring a guy to run whatever offense.

Man, don't you know the cry to win more games is a cover up? These folks just want a wide open offense to chunk the ball around the field to make it exciting. The offensive scheme we have is not a bad one, utilizes players in many roles, it is the dang defense that is giving us total fits. You can see the weekly improvement on the offensive side of the ball and the increased production in the red zone. Wasnt that a major trouble spot last year? I think the defense is hurting more to the change to the 3-4. While many said it would have some bumps, I think it has had some major road blocks that no one expected. I understand the reason for change, allows you to utilize some of those good "tweener" DEs as LBs and easier to build depth on the DL than a 4-3. But the improvements haven't come as quickly as need be.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 11:37:43 am

Can we agree, although we didn't contend for a title last season, under any other coach, that was easily a 9 win team?  So as the Head Hog has said, "we are close," but he cannot get us over the hump.  Do you not think 8 or 9 win seasons would impact recruiting?

I am not sure any team at AR is easily a 9 win team, regardless of coach.

I know that back to back 10 & 11 win seasons did not impact recruiting. Recruiting has been stagnant at around 25 for many years. As I have said before the problem with that is that is only 7-10th in the sec, so every year 7-10 teams in the same league are getting better players.

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 11:37:43 am

Hey, I get it!  No, I for one am not talking about titles because the needle has been stagnant for 6 seasons.  It goes back to "first things first" with me.  Start winning games we should win, i.e, Missery and Va Tech last season; TCU, aTm, USCe, this season, play competitive against Auburn and Bama and at some point the gap in talent will diminish some to at least give scheme and coaching a shot to beat the more talented team.  It's just unrealistic to talk titles right now.  We should be talking, 8-9 wins because that's the only aspect that will EVER put us in a position to discuss titles.  I'm a process guy: crawl, walk, run.  We have been crawling for six years.  When it appeared it was time to walk (the season we beat TX in the bowl) we crumbled and now we are stuck in the crawling stage. 

Perfectly reasonable approach.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:31:06 am
Show me one post where I have said whet we have today is good enough? I can show you several where I have said BB has shown he is not going to get it done in the SEC.

So now having a defense capable of getting a critical stop is trying to out bama bama?

Look, I get it, most people do not get excited over defense and most fans would rather watch a 65-58 game than a 14-10 game. If the goal is to just win some games, be entertained, and maybe make a run every now and then, go for it with a team that can't stop anyone but might have enough offense to outscore 8 teams a year.

IF, however, anyone still harbors thoughts o winning the secw, or the seccg, or making the playoff, then you better hope they hire a coach capable of building a defense.

Do you really not know that what you say over the many thread contradicts itself.   Defense is harder to recruit at Arkansas than offense, do you disagree?  Do you really think that just because someone wants a high powered offense they don't want defense, are you that naive? 

Bama under Saban achieved a balance that worked for them and it was more defense oriented than offense.  With the proliferation of the higher powered offense's Saban has tweaked that to put more emphasis on offense but his trademark will always be defense.

Arkansas is just the opposite of that but it's even worse.  If we don't have a high powered offense our hope of winning by percentage goes way down because we ain't Bama or any other elite team.  We can have great seasons, we may even beat the elite teams when we do luck into a great defense, but even then it will not happen unless we have a great offense.

By the way do you know the Bama vs LSU record?  It's looks kinda like the Arkansas vs Texas record.  That's why most years we should be battling LSU and Auburn for at least second place in the west with an occasional shot at a division championship.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogginbama on November 06, 2017, 11:39:12 am
Man, don't you know the cry to win more games is a cover up? These folks just want a wide open offense to chunk the ball around the field to make it exciting. The offensive scheme we have is not a bad one, utilizes players in many roles, it is the dang defense that is giving us total fits. You can see the weekly improvement on the offensive side of the ball and the increased production in the red zone. Wasnt that a major trouble spot last year? I think the defense is hurting more to the change to the 3-4. While many said it would have some bumps, I think it has had some major road blocks that no one expected. I understand the reason for change, allows you to utilize some of those good "tweener" DEs as LBs and easier to build depth on the DL than a 4-3. But the improvements haven't come as quickly as need be.

You need to look up the definition of misrepresentation. Jeez!

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 11:46:00 am
Do you really not know that what you say over the many thread contradicts itself.   Defense is harder to recruit at Arkansas than offense, do you disagree?  Do you really think that just because someone wants a high powered offense they don't want defense, are you that naive? 

Bama under Saban achieved a balance that worked for them and it was more defense oriented than offense.  With the proliferation of the higher powered offense's Saban has tweaked that to put more emphasis on offense but his trademark will always be defense.

Arkansas is just the opposite of that but it's even worse.  If we don't have a high powered offense our hope of winning by percentage goes way down because we ain't Bama or any other elite team.  We can have great seasons, we may even beat the elite teams when we do luck into a great defense, but even then it will not happen unless we have a great offense.

By the way do you know the Bama vs LSU record?  It's looks kinda like the Arkansas vs Texas record.  That's why most years we should be battling LSU and Auburn for at least second place in the west with an occasional shot at a division championship.

Actually I have been quite clear, I do not think they can recruit enough sec calibre athletes to win anything of consequence regardless of offensive or defensive schemes.

HDN showed with a decent defense, and a ball control offense with a homerun hitter in the backfield ( MJ in one case and dmac in the other ) you can win a lot of games and maybe win the secw. BP showed that with a highly prolific offense and a decent defense they could win a lot of games. But the end result was the same, and we are now 26 season in the sec and not 1 sec title and the only secw titles came when the division as as weak as the sece is now. 

Pistol Pig Maravich

wrong....Arkansas v Coastal Carolina !!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:53:15 am
Actually I have been quite clear, I do not think they can recruit enough sec calibre athletes to win anything of consequence regardless of offensive or defensive schemes.

HDN showed with a decent defense, and a ball control offense with a homerun hitter in the backfield ( MJ in one case and dmac in the other ) you can win a lot of games and maybe win the secw. BP showed that with a highly prolific offense and a decent defense they could win a lot of games. But the end result was the same, and we are now 26 season in the sec and not 1 sec title and the only secw titles came when the division as as weak as the sece is now.

We all know the difficulties of winning the SECW right now with Saban at Bama, as another poster said forget that for awhile and just focus on our strengths.   That happens to be offensive players and serviceable defenses.  You can harp on it in a thousand post and we aren't going to build a Bama level defense anytime soon.  Plus you yourself point out constantly why that is.  Why then do you continue to push so hard on the subject?  I get it, you like defense, I like defense, we all like defense....when it's our defense doing good.  The ones talking offense are just pointing out where our major strength area is.  Do you disagree with that?

jgphillips3

Offense can be improved by scheme.  Defense, unfortunately, is a Jimmy's and Joe's issue.  I think most feel, since you can "see" what offense a coach runs but you cannot know how successful he will be in recruiting, you are going to focus on offense first.  Build some excitement with your offense, improve your wins and recruiting and there you go.  Incidentally, when Nolan took over, he sold 100 point games to the public but we know he couldn't sell his defense until he had the guys to run it.  It's a similar proposition now in football.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 12:07:00 pm
None of us know what would have happened in recruiting after those 2 seasons because the Head Hog decided to take a blonde for ride and was fired.  So how do we know those 2 seasons would not have bumped us in recruiting if the same coach would have been there.  So you can't say what would have happened in recruiting if not for a motorcycle ride. 

What we do know, is a new coach came in with a total different philosophy who didn't need 18 receivers on the roster.  How do we know that many receivers would not have worked under the Petrino system?   But, and there's that magic word again.  In the current system, under the current coach, have we had any problem at all stock piling 4* TEs, RBs and O-linemen?  Keep in mind there were only 31 -5* recruits of any position last year and only 33 this year.  Have we recruited 4* DBs?  So you keep referring to talent and recruiting rankings, which I reject, because QBs, RBs, and WRs are what prop up recruiting rankings, not linemen and TEs.  Because even though we have gotten plenty of 4* TEs and O-linemen, the % in the rankings are lower because they are not valued by the services like QBs, RBs, and WRs.  Add to that the tweener 2-3 Star linemen BB loves, and the tweener 2-3 WRs BP craved and that's how you end up with a 25-30 ranked class. 

Eliminate the tweener 2-3* athletes, without regard to how they currently fit a teams needs.  Take that high 3* athlete and even though it may not fit a team need, it looks good for recruiting rankings but does it translate to meeting team needs to win more games?  It definitely boost recruiting rankings but doesn't mean consistent Vs every weekend, ask OU!

We know what the 11 class ranked after the 2010 season, and we know what the 12 class ranked after the 2011 season. They were not anything different than what the rest are.

I agree, recruiting rankings are not the be all end all, BUT when teams consistently get top classes, they tend to beg top teams on the field.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:09:45 pm
We know what the 11 class ranked after the 2010 season, and we know what the 12 class ranked after the 2011 season. They were not anything different than what the rest are.

I agree, recruiting rankings are not the be all end all, BUT when teams consistently get top classes, they tend to beg top teams on the field.

I have maintained for years that we must build our teams around the best players for Arkansas and by doing that our rankings will suffer because Arkansas players are not valued as highly by the ranking services are other states.  We can live with that and we can beat the pants off teams with higher ranked classes, we've been doing it for over a 100 years.  However a coach like Lunney should be able to handle that chore leaving the rest of a staff to recruit nationally.  We can win that way and we can build on winning.  Our current coach has absolutely no respect for Arkansas high school players.  That's why you see a Hayden starting as a freshmen while a Hammonds set on the bench.  This is a really really bad thing for a Razorback team that is a state institution.

Porkette

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:53:15 am

Hogsanity, serious and respectful question here. I have a really hard time understanding what exactly you see as your purpose on this board. You seem to dedicate many hours of your time to telling other fans, on a Razorback message board, that in a nutshell, being a Razorback fan is pointless because we can't ever win anything of any consequence. Now, most of what you point out about recruiting is true. We do have major limitations in recruiting. Knowledgeable fans are aware of this. But for now, I still choose to be a fan for a variety of reasons, and Arkansas has still proven to be a respectable (though not powerhouse) program for most of our history.

But if you believe it's all futile, why not just be a casual fan at best? Why spend time on here constantly arguing this point?  Just enjoy arguing for the fun of it? I'm kind of curious.
GO HOGS GO!

hogsolutely

Cannot disagree with this writer!  We are the team that everyone wants to play for homecoming!  Hell we paid someone $1.5 million to come in an almost whip us on our homecoming! That is how bad we are!  Time for a change.

IronHog

Thinking Arkansas is gonna win with 70's style defense is foolish

Score big, force turnovers, play great special teams

That's the formula at Arkansas
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

How did LSU not gobble up Kelly?

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.