Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freezing Temps

Started by campushog23, January 09, 2018, 05:20:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

campushog23

Quick question: how will freezing temperatures impact the racing at Oaklawn this weekend? I understand workouts don't take place due to a frozen track, but how does the track handle this on race day? Push post times back slightly in an effort to let the track thaw or just cancel the day of racing completely? Thanks in advance for the info.

The Hogfather

Quote from: campushog23 on January 09, 2018, 05:20:27 pm
Quick question: how will freezing temperatures impact the racing at Oaklawn this weekend? I understand workouts don't take place due to a frozen track, but how does the track handle this on race day? Push post times back slightly in an effort to let the track thaw or just cancel the day of racing completely? Thanks in advance for the info.

Damn!  Was really hoping to avoid this shiz.  Can go many different ways.  Doubt they move post times.  In the past, they've waited until everyone is there and then cancel right before or right after the 1st.  Also, I've been there when they run a race or two and the jockeys refuse to go on because they are getting hit in the face with frozen chunks of the track.

kingoftherapids

they work the track over and over and over all night long. starting thursday night they will not come off the track all night.

the rain tightened it up a little. it was dusty as can be before a couple days ago when we got all the rain.  i would say right now we will race every day and be okay. if we get precip one afternoon we probably can kiss the next racing day goodbye unless it gets to 35 or more and is sunny. once the track freezes with water in it, it gets super hard to unfreeze it without sunlight and 4 or 5 degrees above freezing.

holeinthewall

Friday should be sunny after the precip passes.  Problem is it won't warm up to 40 until Monday.   Friday should be good regardless then we need a lot of sun Friday and they will have to work the track all night Friday.

Also the warm temps today and tomorrow will help the ground get some heat in it.

hog_fan

Rain tomorrow aleast in Little Rock then clear Friday.

holeinthewall

Friday morning low is only around 30 and that only last for a maybe 4 hours.  Not enough to freeze the ground after the warm weather.  Sun should dry the track out on Friday especially with it being worked between races.  Low Saturday morning mid 20's.  They shouldn't have any problem keeping the track raceable.  Might not be any training over the weekend or it will be later in the morning.