Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 08:09:25 pm

SWATing

Started by Mellon Collie, December 29, 2017, 06:57:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellon Collie

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alleged-swatting-hoax-ends-death-223700818.html

Now, you can focus on the hoax that put the cops there, or you can ask the more important question as to why you get filled with bullets for answering a knock on the door....to protect and serve

WaltKowalski

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 29, 2017, 06:57:21 pm

Now, you can focus on the hoax that put the cops there, or you can ask the more important question as to why you get filled with bullets for answering a knock on the door....to protect and serve

Whats your address Melon Head?

Ugly Uncle

They guy who called it in should be charged with negligent homicide.

I think when the police are on alert with one dead and hostages being involved and someone shows aggression...you take action. 

We don't have any idea what happened, but you immediately assume the cop is guilty...when the truth is we know that the guy who called in the incident IS guilty.

Heat of the moment...adrenaline...one dead already...you don't think things MIGHT go sideways?
Retired Radio Host

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 07:07:40 pm

I think when the police are on alert with one dead and hostages being involved and someone shows aggression...you take action. 

We don't have any idea what happened, but you immediately assume the cop is guilty...when the truth is we know that the guy who called in the incident IS guilty.

Heat of the moment...adrenaline...one dead already...you don't think things MIGHT go sideways?

opening your front door is now 'aggression'?  good to know.

Billy Bats

Cops are never guilty.  Come on.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 29, 2017, 07:09:31 pm

knock, knock...who's there?....bullets, lots and lots of bullets

Johnny Bobo

intent

there was none

but forget that, let's start a groundswell movement to destroy America off of the mistake

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 29, 2017, 07:13:54 pm
knock, knock...who's there?....bullets, lots and lots of bullets
Quote from: Billy Bats on December 29, 2017, 07:09:31 pm

Is that what happened?

Man just opened the door to swat and they started shooting?  Give me the play by play as you know it. 

You have the video?  You have the eye witness testimony?

I'll be happy to change my opinion when you present the facts of exactly what happened.

Your turn.
Retired Radio Host

Billy Bats

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 07:19:10 pm
Is that what happened?

Man just opened the door to swat and they started shooting?  Give me the play by play as you know it. 

You have the video?  You have the eye witness testimony?

I'll be happy to change my opinion when you present the facts of exactly what happened.

Your turn.

You got any of that stuff?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 29, 2017, 07:21:16 pm
You got any of that stuff?

Yes.

Fact:  Dude called in a homicide and hostage situation.  Someone died because of it.  He is guilty.

Fact:  Until you know what happened you look like an idiot placing blame on what happened after the other idiot falsely called in a homicide hostage situation.
Retired Radio Host

Billy Bats

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 07:25:36 pm
Yes.

Fact:  Dude called in a homicide and hostage situation.  Someone died because of it.  He is guilty.

Fact:  Until you know what happened you look like an idiot placing blame on what happened after the other idiot falsely called in a homicide hostage situation.

All I said was the cop is never guilty.  They're overwhelmingly exonerated after inquiries in cases similar to this.  Calm down.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 29, 2017, 07:29:20 pm
All I said was the cop is never guilty.  They're overwhelmingly exonerated after inquiries in cases similar to this.  Calm down.

I'm calm.  I didn't mean "you" specifically.  I meant the "you" in general terms.

I should have said, "One" looks like an idiot...
Retired Radio Host

Johnny Bobo

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 29, 2017, 07:29:20 pm

congrats shooting your entire load on low level cops

Billy Bats

Quote from: Johnny Bobo on December 29, 2017, 07:32:53 pm

congrats shooting your entire load on low level cops

Sense.  Do you make it?

Mellon Collie

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 07:20:13 pm
You are  a [CENSORED] dumbass.

id imagine you'd feel differently if you were on the opposite end of a bullet sandwich for nothing more than being polite.

Billy Bats

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 07:34:01 pm
I hope that one day soon both you and MC need a police officer.

I'll never need to get shot by a cop in my home.  Thanks though. 

Mellon Collie

i need a police officer like a need multiple gun shot wounds to my upper torso...

Mellon Collie

https://compete.kotaku.com/police-kill-28-year-old-after-prank-swatting-call-1821648110

"The male was given verbal instructions and complied, said Livingston during the press conference. But according to the department's statement, he reached towards his waistband, leading an officer to fire. The man was later confirmed to have been unarmed."

...and there you have it...going with the 'reached towards his waistband' defense...jesus this sickens me.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 29, 2017, 06:57:21 pm

Sounds like two people should be held on murder charges here.  Obviously a poorly train "swat" officer.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

If they do there is a good chance they get shot by mistake.  What good is that?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Mellon Collie

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 29, 2017, 08:27:20 pm
Sounds like two people should be held on murder charges here.  Obviously a poorly train "swat" officer.

no doubt. 

kodiakisland

December 29, 2017, 08:30:27 pm #22 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:45:49 pm by kodiakisland

The cop killed an innocent, unarmed man.  That is guilty.  There was no dead person.  There were no hostages.  Cops are supposed to have some level of training to deal with issues like this.  Not shoot first and ask questions later.  I hope he spends some time in jail for the lives he chose to ruin.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 29, 2017, 08:27:57 pm
If they do there is a good chance they get shot by mistake.  What good is that?

Good for who?
Retired Radio Host

panhandlepig

Maybe I'm showing my age. Possibly I don't understand what swating is or tweeting twatting bull is either. Well not possibly, what the eff are people doing? What the eff are police officers to do to about this nonsense?  Please help me understand .

And yes I read the article. Still don't understand what happened.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: panhandlepig on December 29, 2017, 08:35:38 pm
  Maybe I'm showing my age. Possibly I don't understand what swating is or tweeting twatting bull is either. Well not possibly, what the eff are people doing? What the eff are police officers to do to about this nonsense?  Please help me understand .

Not shoot innocent people or make their family including small children have to step around the shooting victim on their way out to the freezing cold without being dressed for it.  This was handled as poorly as a police group could but not surprising. 

Swatter and Officer should be locked up. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigoBoys

Quote from: panhandlepig on December 29, 2017, 08:35:38 pm
People/someone calls 911 and describe a terrible potential crime scene that causes police to dispatch a major response, a response to match what has been called in as a crime in action.  In the earliest days SWAT teams were deployed that is why it is called SWATting.  Here is a link to story about famous people who have been victimized. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-swatting-victims/celebrity-lists

I had a guy that worked for me that had this happen to him.  Basically, some teenagers reported to police that a certain person was engaging in human trafficking and he was "getting ready to move the girls at any moment".  Gave them an address and at 10:30 at night my buddy found his home surrounded by 30 police officers from multiple departments.  It is intended to be a prank, not funny if you are the target of the prank. 

panhandlepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 08:39:47 pm
Not shoot innocent people or make their family including small children have to step around the shooting victim on their way out to the freezing cold without being dressed for it.  This was handled as poorly as a police group could but not surprising. 

Swatter and Officer should be locked up.

I didn't read anything in there that included details.  I'm perplexed why anyone would try to "hoax" police officers. Don't they have enough to deal with?

panhandlepig

Quote from: BigoBoys on December 29, 2017, 08:43:57 pm
People/someone calls 911 and describe a terrible potential crime scene that causes police to dispatch a major response, a response to match what has been called in as a crime in action.  In the earliest days SWAT teams were deployed that is why it is called SWATting.  Here is a link to story about famous people who have been victimized. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-swatting-victims/celebrity-lists

I had a guy that worked for me that had this happen to him.  Basically, some teenagers reported to police that a certain person was engaging in human trafficking and he was "getting ready to move the girls at any moment".  Gave them an address and at 10:30 at night my buddy found his home surrounded by 30 police officers from multiple departments.  It is intended to be a prank, not funny if you are the target of the prank.
Thank you. So it's a upgraded on steroids fire alarm from the 70s or a bomb threat from the 90s? So now these posters are upping their game?  How the hell are law enforcement supposed to discern the difference? It's insane. I hate this crap.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: panhandlepig on December 29, 2017, 08:49:30 pm
   I didn't read anything in there that included details.  I'm perplexed why anyone would try to "hoax" police officers. Don't they have enough to deal with?

indeed they do.  but officers need better training. period.  dude got killed because some arsehat cop got itchy fingers to take out a "bad guy".  there needs to be severe consequences for this for the caller and the cop.

Atlhogfan1

This just made the situation worse. What kind of a person would do this(not taking about the swatter)?

" before family members were forced to go outside barefoot in the freezing cold and were cuffed.

Lisa Finch added that her granddaughter was forced to step over her dying uncle, and that no guns were found in the home."

Guess the paramilitary unit thought they needed to secure grandma and the kids as they may have been a threat. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: panhandlepig on December 29, 2017, 08:49:30 pm

Yes they do.

When they roll up on a scene with one dead and others life in danger, a innocent wrong move can get someone killed.  A shame and a tragedy, but not sure if it is a crime.

Definitely should be a crime for the fool that called it in though.
Retired Radio Host

panhandlepig

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 29, 2017, 08:53:53 pm
indeed they do.  but officers need better training. period.  dude got killed because some arsehat cop got itchy fingers to take out a "bad guy".  there needs to be severe consequences for this for the caller and the cop.

I'm still sketchy on the details. I agree officers need better training. I'm not sure what kind of training prepares anyone for bogus 911 calls. Who the eff are these people?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 08:54:39 pm
This just made the situation worse. What kind of a person would do this(not taking about the swatter)?

" before family members were forced to go outside barefoot in the freezing cold and were cuffed.

Lisa Finch added that her granddaughter was forced to step over her dying uncle, and that no guns were found in the home."

Guess the paramilitary unit thought they needed to secure grandma and the kids as they may have been a threat. 

First responsibility is to clear the house/scene.  Make sure everyone is safe. 

I thought this was an honest discussion.  I guess this is just another lets bash the cops thread before we know or understand all the facts.
Retired Radio Host

kodiakisland

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 08:55:49 pm
Yes they do.

When they roll up on a scene with one dead and others life in danger, a innocent wrong move can get someone killed.  A shame and a tragedy, but not sure if it is a crime.

THERE WAS NO ONE DEAD UNTIL THE COPS SHOWED UP.  That's the truth.  The caller filed a false police report.  The cop murdered someone for answering their door.

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 08:55:49 pm
Yes they do.

except that wasn't the case.  they did zero to assess the situation, no one was in danger, unless you count the innocent guy unfortunate enough to answer his own door..... 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 08:58:36 pm
First responsibility is to clear the house/scene.  Make sure everyone is safe. 

I thought this was an honest discussion.  I guess this is just another lets bash the cops thread before we know or understand all the facts.

How was I dishonest?

Clearing the house is sending the family of someone the paramilitary just shot into the cold and cuffing them as if they did something wrong?  Hell yes I am going to bash that. 

Mellon Collie

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 09:02:25 pm
How was I dishonest?

Clearing the house is sending the family of someone the paramilitary just shot into the cold and cuffing them as if they did something wrong?  Hell yes I am going to bash that.

seems ole' ched got his panties in a bunch.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 29, 2017, 09:09:15 pm
seems ole' ched got his panties in a bunch.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 29, 2017, 09:02:25 pm
How was I dishonest?

No not really Mellon, was just done with an obvious "gotcha" thread. 

However, I thought I would be polite enough to answer althogfan...

I'm no police officer.  I do know enough about them to know this; when there is a very real perceived threat...and in this case a call of someone shot dead in the house and hostages...they will secure the scene by handcuffing everyone until they know what is going on.  Right or wrong that seems to be procedure. 

Retired Radio Host

kodiakisland

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 09:16:44 pm
No not really Mellon, was just done with an obvious "gotcha" thread. 

However, I thought I would be polite enough to answer althogfan...

I'm no police officer.  I do know enough about them to know this; when there is a very real perceived threat...and in this case a call of someone shot dead in the house and hostages...they will secure the scene by handcuffing everyone until they know what is going on.  Right or wrong that seems to be procedure. 

There is nothing wrong with the premise of the thread.  It's needs to be addressed.  People shouldn't be shot for nothing more than answering the door.  Quite a few innocent people are killed by the police each year.  If the police were held more accountable for their misdeeds, they might have less of them.

I had a cop knock on my door last week to tell me someone wrecked on the back of our property.  I couldn't see who was at the door when I opened it because my wife put a large Christmas wreath on it.  I was holding a coffee cup at the time.  After opening the door, I realized it was a mistake to have something in my hand pointed toward the person.  I should not have to fear getting shot over a coffee cup, but it happens for less.

This cop should be held responsible for what he did.  The department needs to be held responsible for his training.  The caller needs to be held reasonable for his part.  This was not an accident.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 29, 2017, 09:25:48 pm
There is nothing wrong with the premise of the thread.  It's needs to be addressed.  People shouldn't be shot for nothing more than answering the door.  Quite a few innocent people are killed by the police each year.  If the police were held more accountable for their misdeeds, they might have less of them.

I had a cop knock on my door last week to tell me someone wrecked on the back of our property.  I couldn't see who was at the door when I opened it because my wife put a large Christmas wreath on it.  I was holding a coffee cup at the time.  After opening the door, I realized it was a mistake to have something in my hand pointed toward the person.  I should not have to fear getting shot over a coffee cup, but it happens for less.

This cop should be held responsible for what he did.  The department needs to be held responsible for his training.  The caller needs to be held reasonable for his part.  This was not an accident.

If, when all the facts come in, what you said is true, then as I said earlier, I will change my opinion of this incident.  Right now this happened less than 48 hours ago? 

I think this swat-ing is happening way too much.  That guy should be on trial for murder.  The cop?  Lets see what the video says and what ALL the eye witnesses say. 
Retired Radio Host

pigz

You guys have a good time frig dancing

BigoBoys

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 29, 2017, 09:25:48 pm

It's appropriate that you won't be on the jury   

kodiakisland

Quote from: BigoBoys on December 30, 2017, 10:50:52 pm
It's appropriate that you won't be on the jury   

Probably a good thing for the cop.  Instead of thinking of that poor officer, I'm thinking of the guy who went to his door to see why cops were parked on the street in front of his house.  Poor guy probably never even realized they were yelling at him, since he had no reason to think they would be.  Probably figured they were yelling at a perp near his house. 

I'm the kind of guy who thinks a cop should be better trained to deal with the situation than to shoot an unarmed innocent man in his own doorway.  Obviously you think differently.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 30, 2017, 11:19:36 pm
Probably a good thing.  Instead of thinking of that poor officer, I'm thinking of the guy who went to his door to see why cops were parked on the street in front of his house.  Poor guy probably never even realized they were yelling at him, since he had no reason to think they would be.  Probably figured they were yelling at a perp near his house. 

I'm the kind of guy who thinks a cop should be better trained to deal with the situation than to shoot an unarmed innocent man in his own doorway.  Obviously you think differently.

Not much "for sure" and a lot of "probably" in your comment.  You should "probably" wait until you know more of the facts. 
Retired Radio Host

kodiakisland

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 30, 2017, 11:23:51 pm
Not much "for sure" and a lot of "probably" in your comment.  You should "probably" wait until you know more of the facts. 

Which facts are you unclear of?  The fact this cop killed a completely innocent man who had done nothing wrong and was just standing in his doorway?

I've seen enough from the video they choose to release.  The guy just came out of his door to see what was going on with multiple people yelling from dark areas.  The guy was innocent.  He did nothing wrong.  And yet many here want to excuse the cop.  We can agree to disagree.  Innocent people shouldn't be killed in their door way by "trained" officers of the law.

Billy Bats

Why is this thread trashed?  This is a big deal.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 30, 2017, 11:47:12 pm
Why is this thread trashed?  This is a big deal.

Because the self moderated forum it was started in still has mods with thin skins?  At least it wasn't deleted.

Billy Bats

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 30, 2017, 11:50:06 pm
Because the self moderated forum it was started in still has mods with thin skins?  At least it wasn't deleted.

I read up on it today and it's scary as all get out.  Apparently all you need to know is a name and address and you can easily kill someone via swat team.  Night night!