Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 05:32:07 pm

Reality

Started by Bacon_Bitz, December 19, 2017, 11:48:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacon_Bitz

Recruiting is off to a terrible start under CCM. All the news is about losing commits or instate kids signing elsewhere in the early period. Besides paying for a few reaches to visit the hill on the university's dime and flipping some low three stars from SMU, there has been no good news.

I hope CCM succeeds and expect he might have a better class next year but the reality is this year's class will probably be the worst of the century.

colbs

Bishop?  Ferrell?  Jeez not sure what some of you expected.  Only 9 days to recruit at Arkansas.  It's not like he can spend a ton of time with these players.  Some players took their OV with the he old staff so Morris can't meet them in person.

Wooderson

It is not going well.  I guess he will have a little over a month to salvage it.  I do not think he will be able to do what Bret did his first recruiting class.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

a0ashle

Some of this may be good as it frees up spots for CCMs players, it will definitely take some work, but I'm gonna wait until signing day before I sweat it too much.

colbs

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 11:51:02 am
It is not going well.  I guess he will have a little over a month to salvage it.  I do not think he will be able to do what Bret did his first recruiting class.
Two things that helped BB out a ton.  First no early signing period. 2nd Tim Horton was out recruiting until BB was hired.  Lunney wasn't able to go out and visit any recruits until CCM was hired.  If he would have been able to then that might have held off some kids from visiting other schools.

jgphillips3

Every coach in the past has had at least 6 weeks to work on the class.  This is the first early signing period ever.  I don't think we can say with any clarity how well or poorly he has done with that little time. 

farmhawg

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 19, 2017, 11:48:13 am
Recruiting is off to a terrible start under CCM. All the news is about losing commits or instate kids signing elsewhere in the early period. Besides paying for a few reaches to visit the hill on the university's dime and flipping some low three stars from SMU, there has been no good news.

I hope CCM succeeds and expect he might have a better class next year but the reality is this year's class will probably be the worst of the century.
Good grief.....you just can't fix stupid.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Tim Harris

Early signing period and choosing to wait until after bowl games to announce assistants is going to hurt his first class.  In the end I'm sure they will be able to put together a decent class though.

Wooderson

Quote from: colbs on December 19, 2017, 11:54:05 am
Two things that helped BB out a ton.  First no early signing period. 2nd Tim Horton was out recruiting until BB was hired.  Lunney wasn't able to go out and visit any recruits until CCM was hired.  If he would have been able to then that might have held off some kids from visiting other schools.

Why was Lunney not allowed to?  NCAA rules or UofA decision?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 11:51:02 am

The good news here is, maybe he'll be a helluva lot better recruiter than Bret was in his following years after his big splash first class after taking the job, because Bret's followup classses were LOUSY.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

colbs

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 11:56:00 am
Why was Lunney not allowed to?  NCAA rules or UofA decision?
U of A decision.

Bacon_Bitz

Yes Ferrell and Bishop are bright spots. Early signing period definitely makes this year different. And coming from SMU, CCM didn't have the already established connections with some big time recruits like CBB did coming from Wisconsin. And we will see how things end up but whatever the explanation the class will not wow anyone in the end.

Wooderson

010HogFan

hogfan14

Not sure what people expect with barely over a week to recruit and no defensive staff yet.

FraggleHog

Recruiting is off to a terrible start under CCM. All the news is about losing commits or instate kids signing elsewhere in the early period. Besides paying for a few reaches to visit the hill on the university’s dime and flipping some low three stars from SMU, there has been no good news.

I hope CCM succeeds and expect he might have a better class next year but the reality is this year’s class will probably be the worst of the century.

Just stop it... He has literally been on the job for 10 days.  Couple that with the new Early Signing Day initiative sets up teams that are going through coaching changes for failure. The success of this class has nothing to do with CCM's abilities. The guy has been on the road recruiting non-stop since he was hired.

Take a deep breath and let things play out...
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: hogfan14 on December 19, 2017, 11:57:59 am
Not sure what people expect with barely over a week to recruit and no defensive staff yet.

I didn't expect much. There's plenty of excuses. At the end of the day thought this class won't be very good. That's reality

searkhogfan

Oh Good God,  step away from the Ledge.

010HogFan

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 19, 2017, 11:59:15 am
I didn't expect much. There's plenty of excuses. At the end of the day thought this class won't be very good. That's reality

That's Bielema's fault. He quit recruiting.

Psychohog

Never smarten up a chump.

Wooderson

This defensive hire better be a good one to offset the potential damage to recruiting.

Grizzlyfan

This isn't going to be a great recruiting class.  there's no doubt about that. But there is also no reason to believe it would be.  Crappy season.  Coaching change.  No DC in place for the recruits on the D side.  Don't start judging his recruiting until next year.

010HogFan

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 19, 2017, 12:01:35 pm
This isn't going to be a great recruiting class.  there's no doubt about that. But there is also no reason to believe it would be.  Crappy season.  Coaching change.  No DC in place for the recruits on the D side.  Don't start judging his recruiting until next year.

no logic allowed here

Wooderson

A coaching change and the new signing period are certainly limfacs, but not having a defensive staff in place is Coach Morris decision and falls squarely on him.  Hope the hire is a great one to justify it.

colbs

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on December 19, 2017, 11:59:15 am
Well it's yet to be determined.  There is still a signing period in a February.  Regardless this class wouldn't have been ranked highly because they won't take a full class.  I think majority of people were going to wait and see how next year's class turns out.

Uncle Remus

Here's the other thing...we are coming off of a rough season to say the least.  The program has been in the headlines for several of the wrong reasons this year during the season and since BB's departure.  Surely we realized that this was going to be a tough job to say the least.  I think some folks are going to have to see the results on the field before some of this could has lifted.  Plus, we are going to have to give the man some time.  I don't think it's fair in any way you spin it to blame him for the recruiting for this year.  He is doing all he can with no momentum whatsoever to work with.  Like CCM or not, we have got to be reasonable about this and placing blame on his shoulders for any of this recruiting mess is not living in reality or being reasonable.  Part of taking over any job in any field after someone's termination requires some time to clean up messes.  If you think that a mess wasn't left with him when it came to many of these players...then you really aren't informed.  Let's see where GB is going to go today, but if he does indeed go elsewhere, how much of a chance did CCM have to salvage that in the period of time he had and with the poor relationship that was already in place?  Let's let this play out and really start to look at the recruiting class through a microscope in February...but more realistically...next year.

hobhog

#dramaqueen

Not sure how anyone could expect much 10 days on job with first ever early signing date for kids he doesn't even know.

Atlhogfan1

I think the early period has really changed the dynamic from what both BB and BP faced.  BB and BP both had some good success in their partial classes in the weeks leading up to the Feb signing day.  Morris not so much so far and we'll see who is left for the traditional Feb signing day.  Give it the 2019 class before getting into too much of a panic. 

As far as the impact of this class, BB did a good job redshirting his last full class.  Hopefully on the field in 2021 we won't feel the effects of this 2018 class too much in a negative way. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

colbs

Now they will have time to complete the staff, evaluate the current roster & evaluate recruits.

farmhawg

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 12:03:19 pm
A coaching change and the new signing period are certainly limfacs, but not having a defensive staff in place is Coach Morris decision and falls squarely on him.  Hope the hire is a great one to justify it.
Ok Mikey
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Redhogs

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 19, 2017, 11:59:43 am
That's Bielema's fault. He quit recruiting.
100% true....got lazyer and lazyer as time went on. Really did run this program into the ground.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ChopSooie

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 12:03:19 pm

This logic is a short term answer to our lack of DC. You have to look long term. The announcement of the DC isn't just on him. Ever switch jobs? It's a mutual decision on any start date.

Redhogs

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on December 19, 2017, 12:11:35 pm
Banks was a JUCO guy that only committed because Hogs were best offers. Plus, FL is home state school. Flanagan one is more of a bummer because he's an in-state kid. His makes less sense and not a good look, even if he doesn't seem to be all that great of a player. Not going after Hanspard is also questionable... But getting Ferrell and Bishop is a major positive! Regardless that they're from Arkansas, neither was coming here under CBB and they needed to be. Both great athletes! Banks was likely to flip even under the old staff. That's how it goes sometimes, not an exact science. New signing period is a hindrance for new staff
All this seems to be true.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

TexasRazorback

What do you expect when you hire a coach 13 days before early signing period. You are going to lose kids who committed to Bielema. CCM is doing a great job and is hitting the ground running. Rome wasnt built in a day neither was Clemson or Bama.

AirWarren

BOOO HOOOOOOOO

Chicken little.

AirWarren

I am also fascinated in the anger you people are having toward kids the PREVIOUS COACH touted as reliable given his winning record here at Arkansas........

Seems most would be happy to see any Bielema tie go......

jkstock04

Quote from: hogfan14 on December 19, 2017, 11:57:59 am
I'm not really surprised...kind of one of those is what it is type of deals. Gonna get a lot worse before/if it gets better.

I agree..with the timing tough to blame the current coaches. I blame Bielema and Jeff Long for being terrible and putting us in this current position.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

December 19, 2017, 12:18:48 pm #37 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:38:59 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 19, 2017, 12:01:35 pm

This is a good point in my opinion. Also, I believe CCM's record at SMU is causing him problems with recruiting too but once his Hogs start winning, the recruiting will really pick up.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wooderson

farmhawg

Quote from: Wooderson on December 19, 2017, 12:19:53 pm
It's Michael to you. 
Should I just use your last name?
From theflyinghog

Dirty

Quote from: farmhawg on December 19, 2017, 11:55:32 am
Good grief.....you just can't fix stupid.

You can if you hit enough times with a 🔨.

Wooderson

Quote from: farmhawg on December 19, 2017, 12:20:59 pm
Should I just use your last name?

That's up to you.  I promise it won't change a thing I say.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 19, 2017, 12:18:04 pm
I’m not really surprised...kind of one of those is what it is type of deals. Gonna get a lot worse before/if it gets better.

I agree..with the timing tough to blame the current coaches. I blame Bielema and Jeff Long for being terrible and putting us in this current position.

I have no animosity toward Bret Bielema. He was put in a bad position from the git-go and it shouldn't have happened. This is ALL on Jeff Long,

farmhawg

All over now, Guv showed up.
From theflyinghog

PonderinHog

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on December 19, 2017, 12:41:32 pm
I have no animosity toward Bret Bielema. He was put in a bad position from the git-go and it shouldn't have happened. This is ALL on Jeff Long,
What bad position was Bielema put in?  Being the coach at Arkansas?

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: Psychohog on December 19, 2017, 12:00:33 pm
Is your avi a pic of you?

You should be bant for not being a real sports fan!! All sports fans would know that is from Major League!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on December 19, 2017, 01:14:38 pm
What bad position was Bielema put in?  Being the coach at Arkansas?

Basically in hiring Bielema, Long tried to put a square peg in a round hole.

Bacon_Bitz

Amazing all the touchy responses a thread gets just from pointing out this will be a bad recruiting cycle.  Call me stupid, call me a drama queen, call me any name.  Offer any excuses or explanations you want.  Give him time.  Ok  It's going to be a tough cycle.  Not one of you actually argued with that basic fact.