Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High dollar putters

Started by GolfNut57, April 25, 2017, 12:14:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the high dollar putters (over $100) really worth the extra money?

Yes they are because you actually putt better with one vs the cheapie from Walmart.
No, they are just status symbols for those with more money than brains when it comes to golf equipment.

GolfNut57

Just curious about this. I saw where the red squarish looking Taylormade putter that some pros are using runs $300 at the local Golf HQ. No way in hell would I pay that much for one but would anyone else here do so? Heck I didn't even like paying $100 plus for the Oddysey putter I use.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

onebadrubi

I have a SC I only bought because I had gift cards from some tournaments.  It looks good but I still suck at putting.

GolfNut57

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 25, 2017, 12:34:06 pm
I have a SC I only bought because I had gift cards from some tournaments.  It looks good but I still suck at putting.

So I am guessing you voted No? lol
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

waphill

IMO, you're better off putting that money towards lessons, than an uber expensive putter.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 25, 2017, 12:14:18 pm
Just curious about this. I saw where the red squarish looking Taylormade putter that some pros are using runs $300 at the local Golf HQ. No way in hell would I pay that much for one but would anyone else here do so? Heck I didn't even like paying $100 plus for the Oddysey putter I use.

I was wanting a Scotty Cameron putter because that's what all the pros use till I saw the price.  $400.  The guy at the store told me I'd pay for that in not time in the money games we play and I told him no way in hell because we don't play for that kind of money.  Ping has a new one out for $125 or so.  Think I'll keep what I have.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 25, 2017, 12:35:58 pm
So I am guessing you voted No? lol

I didn't vote.  Because my distance is actually more consistent.  But I still have a bad stroke.   I have a tendency to leave the face w little open.  Someone told me to play with weights because I consistently miss in same spots.  I love the feel of the face of this SC as well. So I'm kind of Inbetween.  I had a ping before this one and used it for 7-10 years.  It was your average putter and would probably say a cheapie was as good as it. 

Jackrabbit Hog

I've been using an old Taylor Made Rossa Daytona putter that I bought new about 15 years ago.  I think it was about $75 then.  Best club in my bag and unless I lose it or break it, it'll be the last putter I ever buy.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

theFlyingHog

I got an Odyssey white hot center shaft #5 back around 2001. It fits my stroke and my eye. I've never seen or touched another putter I like more. I think if you really like your putter then it doesn't matter how much it costs. But I have real big hang ups on club aesthetics. I like a smaller traditional shaped driver, thin topline and sole on the irons, etc

GolfNut57

Quote from: waphill on April 25, 2017, 02:07:48 pm
IMO, you're better off putting that money towards lessons, than an uber expensive putter.

I would agree with this. If you put in enough practice with it I dare say you could putt just as well with a flat rock tied to a stick as you could with one of the mega hundred dollar flatsticks. To me the putter is the last club in the bag where a higher price would guarantee better results.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 25, 2017, 09:56:09 pm
I would agree with this. If you put in enough practice with it I dare say you could putt just as well with a flat rock tied to a stick as you could with one of the mega hundred dollar flatsticks. To me the putter is the last club in the bag where a higher price would guarantee better results.
Truth. Nicklaus won a bunch of money rolling a bullseye.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

onebadrubi

I putted better today with my 60 degree titleist.  It was about a $100.  Ha, but seriously I did.