Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky

Started by hawgfan4life, February 19, 2018, 12:22:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgfan4life

Looking at KY's stats, they have length beyond imagination.  There is zero chance we can get any of their big guys into foul trouble and it play much of a role in the game.  Ours on the other hand will have to remain out of foul trouble or it could be a huge factor in the game.  They aren't a tremendous 3 point team on paper, but you never know in any given game and LSU at their place is an example of that fact.  Playing A&Ms length was a good prep for this game, but KY even has more and they have it coming off the bench in numbers.

Keys to Success:

We need to get the game going fast and keep it fast so that their smaller main five play most of the time.  They aren't nearly as long with that group.  If it is slow and they get to play a big line-up, they have 6 players 6-9 or taller that play significant minutes and they will kill us inside. 

Somehow keep Knox from having a career game above what he typically does since he is their main player.

Gafford and Thompson MUST stay out of foul trouble until very late if ever in the game.

We MUST shoot extremely well from the 3 point line and the charity stripe.

Crowd can play a role, but KY is used to seeing large, loud crowds.  They won't be pressured by that unless it is in combination with us playing lights out and them feeling pressure from not playing well.

raz1965

Arkansas must bring there A game. Kentucky has underacheived with the talent on hand,  hopefully the hogs can get some turnovers an easy buckets in transition. The length of Bailey an the kid from Canada could be huge defensively for the hogs.

PygmalionEffect2

It should be rockin in the Bud tomorrow night.

Great chance to get a win on Kentucky.  Hard to believe they've lost 7 conference games. Got to be the biggest underachiever of the year.

Hope they wait at least one more game before they wake up. 

They're a better team than that.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

BoarEd

Arkansas has a better team than Kentucky this year and I expect them to win tomorrow night at home.

GlassofSwine

They are not a good offensive team. We need to use Hall, Ose and Bailey to help on the defensive end against their length. We will also need good minutes from Thomas. We need our guards to be active moving without the ball, if we are just playing iso all night against their length it will be a long night for us on offense.

Letsroll1200

If Arkansas get to 90 points, Kentucky want be able to keep up. Coach want have to say much to get his team ready for Kentucky.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 12:22:01 pm
Looking at KY's stats, they have length beyond imagination.  There is zero chance we can get any of their big guys into foul trouble and it play much of a role in the game.  Ours on the other hand will have to remain out of foul trouble or it could be a huge factor in the game.  They aren't a tremendous 3 point team on paper, but you never know in any given game and LSU at their place is an example of that fact.  Playing A&Ms length was a good prep for this game, but KY even has more and they have it coming off the bench in numbers.

Keys to Success:

We need to get the game going fast and keep it fast so that their smaller main five play most of the time.  They aren't nearly as long with that group.  If it is slow and they get to play a big line-up, they have 6 players 6-9 or taller that play significant minutes and they will kill us inside. 

Somehow keep Knox from having a career game above what he typically does since he is their main player.

Gafford and Thompson MUST stay out of foul trouble until very late if ever in the game.

Crowd can play a role, but KY is used to seeing large, loud crowds.  They won't be pressured by that unless it is in combination with us playing lights out and them feeling pressure from not playing well.

You, and ADavisTheGOAT roommates???
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Rome26

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on February 19, 2018, 12:43:32 pm
It should be rockin in the Bud tomorrow night.

Great chance to get a win on Kentucky.  Hard to believe they've lost 7 conference games. Got to be the biggest underachiever of the year.

Hope they wait at least one more game before they wake up. 

They're a better team than that.

They're not underachieving, they were just over rated coming out of high school.

jst01

My question to you is, why is a key to the game "Thompson staying out of foul trouble?"  Only thing that guy needs to do is come in the game and be very physical and foul.

hogsanity

Arkansas is a better shooting team. Ky is very athletic, athletic enough to keep them in the game, especially if the Hogs do not protect the defensive glass, but Ky is a terrible shooting teams, and if the Hogs rebound well, they could win big.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Rome26

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 12:22:01 pm

Keys to Success:

Kentucky has had a size advantage in every game they've played. It really hasn't helped them much because they can't shoot.

jbigs77

If we shoot well (including free throws), don't give wide open 3s from failed traps and don't get sucker punched by the refs. I believe we will win. BIG IF!

hawgfan4life

Thompson needs to stay out of foul trouble because he is the closest to a 5 we have after Gafford.  If we rely on Bailey, Davis, Osu, and Cook with Gafford and Thompson, we will be trying to beat them at their own game.  I don't like our chances trying to play half court O and D playing their game.  If our big lineup can play a fast transition game and score, yes.  If the ball gets slowed down on both ends, we are putting lesser talent players playing the game KY wants us to play.  IMO, I like us playing 3 guards, playing fast, and hitting shots as best way to win.

jst01

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 02:54:53 pm
Thompson needs to stay out of foul trouble because he is the closest to a 5 we have after Gafford.  If we rely on Bailey, Davis, Osu, and Cook with Gafford and Thompson, we will be trying to beat them at their own game.  I don't like our chances trying to play half court O and D playing their game.  If our big lineup can play a fast transition game and score, yes.  If the ball gets slowed down on both ends, we are putting lesser talent players playing the game KY wants us to play.  IMO, I like us playing 3 guards, playing fast, and hitting shots as best way to win.

You are saying exactly what Thompson can't do, play fast. He is a liability on D when teams run. 7' centers outrun him down the court easily.

Paul Westerhawg

Tremendous 3 point team? You stupid? They can't shoot a lick.

Paul Westerhawg

Correction: I misread that. You are correct. They are a very bad team from three.

upperdeck_hawg

I would play a lot of zone in this one. They are the worst 3 pt shooting team in the SEC.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

26.2Hog

Quote from: Paul Westerhawg on February 19, 2018, 03:09:28 pm
Correction: I misread that. You are correct. They are a very bad team from three.

Paul, you are right.  Kentucky ranks #273 in shooting 3s.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 02:54:53 pm

Problem is I don't think our guards will be able to get good shots against their length in the half court. Plus if we don't get good minutes from the younger guys, Thompson and Gafford will be put in foul trouble early. Kentucky is going to try to pound it inside on offense, if for no other reason we need those guys to absorb fouls away from Gafford and Thompson.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: GlassofSwine on February 19, 2018, 08:42:40 pm
Problem is I don't think our guards will be able to get good shots against their length in the half court. Plus if we don't get good minutes from the younger guys, Thompson and Gafford will be put in foul trouble early. Kentucky is going to try to pound it inside on offense, if for no other reason we need those guys to absorb fouls away from Gafford and Thompson.

My counter argument is that Kentucky sucks greasy-green donkey dongs in 2018. We should win this game, hands down.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: BoarEd on February 19, 2018, 12:58:12 pm
Arkansas has a better team than Kentucky this year and I expect them to win tomorrow night at home.

If we bring it and we will we win this game. We have some on this thread way over rating Kentucky. They haven't faced a crowd like they will see tomorrow night. The Bud will rock their world.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 19, 2018, 09:00:48 pm
If we bring it and we will we win this game. We have some on this thread way over rating Kentucky. They haven't faced a crowd like they will see tomorrow night. The Bud will rock their world.

Thanks.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: jst01 on February 19, 2018, 03:02:59 pm
You are saying exactly what Thompson can't do, play fast. He is a liability on D when teams run. 7' centers outrun him down the court easily.

I can't argue with that other than to say we have been pushing it hard all year with him in the games when he plays so we are used to whatever handicap that provides.  Our biggest key in all games is whether we are shooting well.  We absolutely must be shooting well from the perimeter or it won't matter what we do anywhere else.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: GlassofSwine on February 19, 2018, 08:42:40 pm

Our guards have to shoot well or we are toast.  I agree that KY is going to pound the ball.  I think they are going to slow it down to a snails pace if possible and pound the ball inside as much as possible on offense and force it inside on defense until we make them stop.  That is what I would do with their length against our strengths and weaknesses.  IMO, our only hope is to get the game as fast and ugly as possible while shooting well from the perimeter.  By well, I don't mean it has to be anymore than what we are averaging on the year.  It just can't be worse than normal.  FT shooting needs to be better than our average.

GO

First time in several years I think we send Kentucky home with a big L. Well that or out we make them look like best 3 point shooting team in the country. Yeah one of those!

Rawker

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 19, 2018, 05:26:45 pm
Paul, you are right.  Kentucky ranks #273 in shooting 3s.

Not tomorrow night.  They'll be number one.  Not because of bad D...the Hogs have greatly improved that, by the eye test and statistically.  It's just that.....I have never in my life seen a team be a victim of the bad bounce and the "longest and most 3s this guy has ever shot in his life" as consistently as this particular Hog team.  The play style dictates that there will be more opportunities than some other teams no matter which Hog/UAB/Mizzou/Richardson/Anderson team is analyzed, but this team in particular has had some bad bounces in that regard.  They do have their natural deficiencies, like the fact that even our most vocal leader, Macon, can't be counted on to take care of the ball, but man....until the last couple of games, they were also just VERY unlucky.  No team has been as close to a steal that results in a 3 (which until SC, the opponent DID NOT MISS ONE of those lucky bounce threes) more than this one over the whole season, and it's not even close.  All that being said, it has been happening way less in the last few games, so maybe that will continue.  But my hunch is, because I hate Kentucky so much, and because Murphy's Law is the law of my world,  they will get a lot of that crap tomorrow night.  Plus, since it's UK, the refs will be calling fouls every time we almost get a clean steal.

Rawker

Quote from: GO on February 19, 2018, 10:26:53 pm
First time in several years I think we send Kentucky home with a big L. Well that or out we make them look like best 3 point shooting team in the country. Yeah one of those!

I don't know about SEVERAL years.  Hogs beat them 4 out of 5 from 2011 thru 2014.  if three seasons is several to you, okay.

GO

Quote from: Rawker on February 20, 2018, 12:23:00 am
I don't know about SEVERAL years.  Hogs beat them 4 out of 5 from 2011 thru 2014.  if three seasons is several to you, okay.

Beating them and me going into the game really confident we would win are not the same thing. Also those 4 wins you mention are the ONLY wins against KU since 2001. So it's not like we make a habit of beating them to give us much confidence we will come out on top.

riccoar

We have beat Kentucky before when they had better teams.  Kentucky's only saving grace this season is their name.  Yes, they have stellar talent.  But not the kind that has melded into a team.

J-Five

I REALLY hope we win this game, but Kentucky's length really scares me.  We don't rebound well at all (I was shocked we out rebounded A&M), and I think that will be a big factor in this game.  Kentucky gets a lot of their points off 2nd chance and put backs.  We gotta crash the boards!!!
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

LRhawg926

This game equates to the LSU game in football as far as rivalry goes. Our hogs are ready, Our crowd is ready, HOGS ROLL IN THIS ONE!! WOO PIG!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 19, 2018, 10:24:41 pm
Our guards have to shoot well or we are toast.  I agree that KY is going to pound the ball.  I think they are going to slow it down to a snails pace if possible and pound the ball inside as much as possible on offense and force it inside on defense until we make them stop. That is what I would do with their length against our strengths and weaknesses.  IMO, our only hope is to get the game as fast and ugly as possible while shooting well from the perimeter.  By well, I don't mean it has to be anymore than what we are averaging on the year.  It just can't be worse than normal.  FT shooting needs to be better than our average.

KY is going to run with us. They have the length and athleticism to do so. Their outside shooting will be better against us because shooters can get in a rhythm easier in an up and down game. They are going to try and penetrate and dish for layups and lobs like they always have and look to score in transition. Should be an exciting game.

Hope we are leading at halftime.
Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

Don't know what will happen tonight but I'm enjoying CAL getting a taste of humble pie.

HognitiveDissonance

Recruiting a new team every year is a crapshoot.
Talent is there, yes.
Some years like the Karl-Anthony Towns year or Anthony Davis years, the talent is great and there is instant jelling.
Some years, like the Harrison twins frosh year, the talent is there, but it comes together late in the year and takes a while.
Some years, like the Archie Goodwin year, the talent is there, but it just never comes together. NIT
This is another year like the Goodwin year. There is talent, but the pieces aren't fitting together very well.

KY is always good, but I definitely expect the Hogs to win this game at home. I'm more confident about this game than Auburn or A&M.

BoarEd

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 20, 2018, 09:10:59 am
KY is going to run with us. They have the length and athleticism to do so. Their outside shooting will be better against us because shooters can get in a rhythm easier in an up and down game. They are going to try and penetrate and dish for layups and lobs like they always have and look to score in transition. Should be an exciting game.

Hope we are leading at halftime.

This is correct. Kentucky will not slow the game down. In fact, the few times I've seen them play this year the thing that has jumped out to me about their team is their perimeter defense that leads to transition buckets. Their guards are long and they have quick hands. They get a lot of steals, and they sprint the other way for layups.

Kentucky is a good team, obviously (they always are), but according to ESPNs BPI Arkansas has a 66% chance of winning this game tonight.

If Barford and Macon are on their game, Arkansas should win. Those guys have been deadly lately and this Hogs team is playing very good basketball.