Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time for Gabe O?

Started by lookawayquick, January 02, 2018, 10:40:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lookawayquick

Adrio Bailey played well tonight but seems to be a bit sporadic.  Dustin Thomas and Orlando Cook have limited skills.  Dustin should never try to be a PF.  My question for the night, is it time for Gabe O to get more PT?  Surely he's as good as Thomas and Cook.  Long arms, good hops.  Maybe he would get a few rebounds.

lookawayquick

I say the combo of Adrio and Gabe O will bring bounce and energy.  Not getting that out of Thomas and Cook.

bigred223

It's time for the Thomas thing to end. Would love to see Gabe get more minutes.

hogginbama

Quote from: bigred223 on January 03, 2018, 06:26:37 am
It's time for the Thomas thing to end. Would love to see Gabe get more minutes.

It seems he plays with little emotion, tries to be even-keel. Maybe move him to the second 5 instead of the start.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Hogimus Prime

Start Bailey with Gafford with Cook and Gabe O as their back ups

I'm assuming Gabe has little to offer right now, or he would be playing. I doubt Anderson has forgotten about him.

bigred223

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 08:55:55 am
I'm assuming Gabe has little to offer right now, or he would be playing. I doubt Anderson has forgotten about him.

He offers athleticism at the very least.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 08:55:55 am

Mike leans on veterans, especially seniors, unless there is a huge gap in talent (See Gafford and Trey).

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 10:52:14 am
Mike leans on veterans, especially seniors, unless there is a huge gap in talent (See Gafford and Trey).
But Hall is getting minutes, and he generally looks overmatched lately.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 10:53:05 am

Hall flashes what he could be... The only way to mature the learning curve is to throw him in the fire with sustained minute's but we have enough of a bench to not have to do that.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

draftkings33

If you think Gabe should be playing you have a very low basketball IQ or you just haven't watched the games.  Halls minutes are about to completely vanish as well.

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 03, 2018, 12:37:52 pm
Hall flashes what he could be... The only way to mature the learning curve is to throw him in the fire with sustained minute's but we have enough of a bench to not have to do that.
So that means Anderson will play freshman to mature the learning curve. The fact that Gabe is getting no minutes must mean Anderson doesn't think he's ready, as opposed to just doesn't trust a freshman.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 10:53:05 am

There is really no one in front of Hall to compete for his minutes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 03:07:01 pm
So that means Anderson will play freshman to mature the learning curve. The fact that Gabe is getting no minutes must mean Anderson doesn't think he's ready, as opposed to just doesn't trust a freshman.

He doesn't trust freshmen over veterans, unless the talent gap is obvious. Gafford is obviously better than Thompson. Hall has no one in front of him to compete for minutes (he is the only true small forward). Gabe is in the mix with Bailey, Thomas, and Cook.

hogsanity

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 03, 2018, 01:39:14 pm
If you think Gabe should be playing you have a very low basketball IQ or you just haven't watched the games.  Halls minutes are about to completely vanish as well.

Here is the problem with that. Mike's system in predicated on using a lot of players to wear down the other team, and to get steals/force turnovers when they start to tire. If you can't/don't play as many players then the whole system starts to fall apart.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigred223

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 03, 2018, 01:39:14 pm

Terrible idea. Use your athletes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 03:39:43 pm
Here is the problem with that. Mike's system in predicated on using a lot of players to wear down the other team, and to get steals/force turnovers when they start to tire. If you can't/don't play as many players then the whole system starts to fall apart.

Exactly. Which is why we are starting to see the loss of Garland really impact this team.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 03:47:37 pm
Exactly. Which is why we are starting to see the loss of Garland really impact this team.

Yea to bad we don't have a sr guard that was highly recruited that is capable of being the league player of the week, maybe with a name like Nick Babb...oh wait

I told you all when he left that losing Babb would come back to bite them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 04:02:39 pm
Yea to bad we don't have a sr guard that was highly recruited that is capable of being the league player of the week, maybe with a name like Nick Babb...oh wait

I told you all when he left that losing Babb would come back to bite them.

I did too. People laughed at me saying he only averaged 1 point per game. Mike develops guards and Nick is a guard you need to have 4 years. Now he is averaging 12 pts, 7.5 rebs, and 7 asts per game.

Jimmy Whitt is another big loss. Currently averaging 10 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts, and 2 stls per game.

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 04:49:51 pm
I did too. People laughed at me saying he only averaged 1 point per game. Mike develops guards and Nick is a guard you need to have 4 years. Now he is averaging 12 pts, 7.5 rebs, and 7 asts per game.

Jimmy Whitt is another big loss. Currently averaging 10 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts, and 2 stls per game.

You guys need to also acknowledge because of having a void in this area we were able to land Barford.  Take it with a grain of salt but Babb is not a high octane player and hasn't gotten major playing time at Iowa St until this year which last I saw isn't exactly setting the world on fire in basketball.

I'd take Barford all day over Babb or Whitt and the numbers back it up.  Turnover in basketball happens a lot so you have to manage it well.  I think mike has done that fairly well.

It's also a tough break with Garland who would have logged minutes for this team.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

draftkings33

Quote from: bigred223 on January 03, 2018, 03:47:21 pm
Terrible idea. Use your athletes.
I'll take a basketball player over an athlete anyday

beachhog

Gabe O should get more PT especially if he can rebound.

draftkings33

Quote from: beachhog on January 04, 2018, 06:00:10 pm
Gabe O should get more PT especially if he can rebound.
But what if he can't dribble or shoot????

Fan701

But if we had Babb and Whitt, we most likely wouldn't have Barford and Macon.  Which duo would you prefer, really?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Fan701 on January 05, 2018, 01:19:53 pm
But if we had Babb and Whitt, we most likely wouldn't have Barford and Macon.  Which duo would you prefer, really?

but that's not how it works.. can't complain or blame if you have to do an either or..

niels_boar

Hall's problem is on O, namely TOs.  CMA took him out against UT because he had 3 TOs in 3 minutes in a game that we needed OT to win.  Hall and Jones need to slow down, and let the game come to them instead of forcing the issue.  Growing pains.  We need points from Jones, and we need Hall to cut down the negatives so that we can reap the benefits of his D. Actually I've wondered if Gabe might be an option for some wing minutes.  In his limited time he seems to do the Watkins thing in that he makes some plays - draws a charge, gets a putback, plays solid D - but doesn't seem prone to doing what he isn't capable of doing.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Pigasaurus

Hope to see jones 3 pt shot come back.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

toxichog

Gabe O is a "project "....... thought that was plain when we signed him.  He does have potential........great length, decent skills, kind of learning the game.  Biggest defeciancy right now is STRENGTH.  If he could build up his body to SEC caliber and mature could be a nice player by his junior year.  Not everybody comes in as a freshman ready to rip and roar (Gafford).  Be patient, he could end up a solid player.

hawginbigd1

Saw today that Babb would be the 2nd player to ever avg. 12-7-7 for a season. I said it back then Babb was a huge loss, I doubt we ever miss Whitt, but maybe. I think we still have Macon and Barford if Babb was here, maybe not with Whitt, and I prefer those 2 to Whitt any day.

hawginbigd1

Gabe O has no offense to bring to this team, but I think he could get 3-5 playing defense, I like the way he moves and is quick to help and take a charge. Hall had about 3 games in a row that I thought he might be a solid contributor but he has fallen off.

draftkings33

Quote from: pigasaurus on January 06, 2018, 09:27:57 am
Hope to see jones 3 pt shot come back.
3 point shooters that jump as high as he does tend to be very inconsistent shooters.  Example Malik Monk

razorback1829

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 06, 2018, 04:32:41 pm
Gabe O has no offense to bring to this team, but I think he could get 3-5 playing defense, I like the way he moves and is quick to help and take a charge. Hall had about 3 games in a row that I thought he might be a solid contributor but he has fallen off.

He's actually a decent ball handler as we've seen in games, and he's so long that he can battle on the boards. I don't see Dustin Thomas getting too dunks in games.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 06, 2018, 04:28:27 pm
Saw today that Babb would be the 2nd player to ever avg. 12-7-7 for a season. I said it back then Babb was a huge loss, I doubt we ever miss Whitt, but maybe. I think we still have Macon and Barford if Babb was here, maybe not with Whitt, and I prefer those 2 to Whitt any day.

Would be nice to have Whitt next year. I never bought into the "Whitt is the best guard on campus already" theory, but we could use a veteran guard next year.