Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the best hog BIG MAN of all time

Started by musiccityhog, January 09, 2006, 10:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: cityhog on December 21, 2017, 03:36:03 pm
So I'm a Denver Nuggets fan (insert your snarky insults here), and Scott is the color guy on Altitude Sports. He's really good and pretty funny to boot. I'll tweet at him every now ad again with a deep cut hog reference.

When you do say Hey NEIGHBOR!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogimus Prime

The Big O.  Nothig against Big Nasty, Joe Kleine, Andrew Lang or anyone else, but the Big O affected the game in so many ways. He was a great shotblocket, rebounder and could score inside, but then there was his passing.  He did so much.  As Big O went do did the Hogs

hvsupastar

Daniel Gafford, when it's all said and done. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

East TN HAWG

Quote from: FIRENUTZ on January 10, 2006, 07:16:11 am
Scott Hastings has to be somewhere in the rankings.
You beat me to it.

I would consider Corliss and Bobby as power forwards and not centers.  Here are my top 4 centers: 1) Joe Kline, 2) Scott Hastings 3a) Andre Lang 3b) Oliver Miller

El Puerco Grande

He wasn't a center, or a big scorer, but when Roosevelt Wallace fouled you in the paint, it wasn't unusual for someone else to shoot the free throws while the shooter was getting medical attention
How 'bout them hogs?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on December 22, 2017, 11:32:50 am
He wasn’t a center, or a big scorer, but when Roosevelt Wallace fouled you in the paint, it wasn’t unusual for someone else to shoot the free throws while the shooter was getting medical attention

Stephan Moore got his money's worth on fouls too.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: nesjunk on December 20, 2017, 10:17:07 pm
Steven Hill still has the best NBA FG percentage of all Razorbacks... :-)

I just...
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

hawgball40

i know he washed out to some degree, but michael washington was a pretty good big in my opinion. heart and soul of some bad razorback teams under smellphrey.

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

cc

Lot of guys that had different talents.  I would have loved to see Andrew Lang with more talent around him. Kliene, Hastings, Miller were all great. Williamson's numbers and National Championship speak for themselves.  Derek Hood was another really good PF/C Hybrid.

upperdeck_hawg

Corliss was the best offensive post player. Andrew Lang was the best defensive player. Oliver Miller was the best combination of both. Big O was also the best passing big man we had.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hawkhawg

pigroots

Who do I Want to give the ball to on the block for a basket with game on the line? Corliss all day. He was a beast against the best and in the biggest games. I do think Gafford could rival him in another 3-4 years but unfortunately for us he'll be wearing a different uni by then

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: pigroots on December 22, 2017, 11:00:33 pm
Who do I Want to give the ball to on the block for a basket with game on the line? Corliss all day. He was a beast against the best and in the biggest games. I do think Gafford could rival him in another 3-4 years but unfortunately for us he'll be wearing a different uni by then
agreed about Corliss as long as the opposing center isn't a  7' Czech with the first name of George and wears a sky blue and gold uniform
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

sadhogfan

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 22, 2017, 01:48:16 pm
i know he washed out to some degree, but michael washington was a pretty good big in my opinion. heart and soul of some bad razorback teams under smellphrey.

That was a fun game.

I know we are no longer Marcus Monk fans around here, but I think his being declared ineligible really changed that entire season.

HawgnCorona

A lot of good choices here but Dean Tolson was as good as any...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

apcapri

hawgdavis

Quote from: the donger on January 10, 2006, 01:10:24 am
Freddie Childress! Oh wait, wrong sport.

I went to school with big Fred and played football with him s something most people probably didn't know about Freddie is he played multiple sports, he was a truly gifted athlete. His sr year Fred was 6' 4" weighed 298 ran a 4.5 40 and had if I remember remember right a 36" vertical leap. Fred could take 1 step and slam it with both hands and could shoot the ball. It must of been hell to play him in the low block.

jusgtohogs

with all due respect to opinions already posted, Corliss at 6'6" (generously) was not a big man in college.  The 2 best 'bigs' at U of A (all-time) are: Big 'O' and Joe Kleine.  Kleine didn't have the supporting cast that Miller had, though.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jusgtohogs on December 23, 2017, 12:39:39 pm
with all due respect to opinions already posted, Corliss at 6'6" (generously) was not a big man in college.  The 2 best 'bigs' at U of A (all-time) are: Big 'O' and Joe Kleine.  Kleine didn't have the supporting cast that Miller had, though.

I'm not sure about that.. Alvin Robertson and Darrell Walker were pretty good players...

sowmonella

Saw Big Joe from Slater, MO at church tonight. He was our best true center.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

thebignasty

Quote from: sadhogfan on December 23, 2017, 01:21:12 am
That was a fun game.

I know we are no longer Marcus Monk fans around here, but I think his being declared ineligible really changed that entire season.

That and if memory serves,  Washington had a bum back for the second half of the season.

Add in Courtney Fortson being a crazy fella off the court and that team was maybe always doomed to collapse. 

Pigasaurus

Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 11:15:47 pm
Remember in the Final Four when Corliss took Rasheed Wallace to school down low.
Wallace is still looking for Corliss.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Beavthompson

I'm just going to add Derek Hood for the sock.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

JenksHawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 10, 2006, 12:11:58 am
It was Jon Koncack.....

....and those were great years.  SMU, Arkansas, and Houston had good teams then.

Joe Kleine....he was the best BIG man.....although I remember Oliver Miller giving Shaq fits because O would play out on the perimeter...

If you're talking C....then Joe Kleine.

....and let's not forget Steve Schall and Jim Counce.

Gotta give some love to Scott Hastings too - is out him at 3 behind Klein's and Corliss.

oldfart

Quote from: Since 1894 on January 09, 2006, 11:07:20 pm
I went to college watching Joe Kleine battling Mike Concack (sp) of SMU (?).  It was like going to a J.Taylor fight and a basketball game breaking out!  Barnhill was a rocking!!

My favorite was Dwight Stewart - Put a dress on him and he could pass for the Aunt Jemima at the time.  Loved it when he would make those 3 point shots and the TV announcers wouldn't know what to say about our center making outside shots.

Jon Konkack... legs up to his shoulders

SPAL

Miller. I don't consider Corliss a Big.

I guess I should ask how we are defining it. When I hear Big man, I'm thinking center.

Torqued pork

Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 11:03:40 pm
Corliss may have not been a "Big" man , but he was the best we've had around the basket in a long time.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 09, 2006, 11:47:23 pm
Joe Kline was the only true good center that I remember.  All others have really been power and/or small forwards.

This is what I think too. When I hear "big man," I think the 5 position or a guy who plays the 4 and 5. Joe was a true center. Big O might have been too, but he was so versatile, Nolan had him moving all over the court. Same for what Eddie did with Scott Hastings.

I saw all these guys play, and man they were fantastic. Funny tidbit...several years ago one of my boys went to a weekend basketball camp. When the coaches were introduced, one of them was Texas Tech's center from 1981-85 (which is exactly when I was at the U of A). I went and talked to him at the end, we both got a rise reminiscing about all the good ol' SWC days. He said that JOE KLEINE—more than Akeem Olajuwon—was the hardest guy to play against...because he was so strong and WIDE.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

VBMark

Joe Klein and Steve Schall. Joe has an Olympic medal.

Scott Hastings and Big O were actually PFs playing as a center. Same for Corliss.

Joe has an Olympic medal; the others do not.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

TushCrush

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Knot2brite

Kleine, Oliver Miller and Mario Credit are the top three I have. Lang was mainly just a defensive guy and Hastings was a 6'10 small forward...Steven Hill was a less offensive minded version of Lang
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

EastexHawg

I don't really consider Corliss to be a true "big man" in basketball terms.  Given that, I'll go with Joe Kleine.

pigture perfect

I liked Scott Hastings. He may have been a 4 in the Association, but he played a true 5 in college. He was a great offensive rebounder and had a text book Up and Under move. Had a pretty good NBA career as well. He was a Pistons Bad Boy champion.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogsolutely

Corliss, Balentine, Joe K., Hood in that order.