Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Search Committee

Started by Hogginintheville, October 27, 2017, 10:18:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogginintheville

If we were to put together a search committee to find a new coach, who would you want on it?

I think the first person asked to be the chairman should be Terry Don Phillips.

Atlhogfan1

No. Committees should never be used to hire at this level.  Not in a formal public process like White tried to make his.  Established candidates can't be a part of something like that so you immediately dwindle your potential candidate pool.  Only coaches with nothing to lose or would be getting a big promotion would maybe participate. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sed76

Guv, Delta, FCJ, Porkrinds and Jim Harris. If that bunch couldn't get us a elite coach no one could.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sed76 on October 27, 2017, 10:26:55 am
Guv, Delta, FCJ, Porkrinds and Jim Harris. If that bunch couldn't get us a elite coach no one could.

Don't include my name with ththe likes of GUV and delta. But you could hire me as AD and we'd be winning immediately.

Sed76

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 27, 2017, 10:27:54 am
Don't include my name with ththe likes of GUV and delta. But you could hire me as AD and we'd be winning immediately.

Someone had to be the voice of reason in that group.

The Boar War

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 27, 2017, 10:20:51 am
No. Committees should never be used to hire at this level.  Not in a formal public process like White tried to make his.  Established candidates can't be a part of something like that so you immediately dwindle your potential candidate pool.  Only coaches with nothing to lose or would be getting a big promotion would maybe participate. 

I agree.  It is common, however, for ADs to ask those familiar with the program and college football  to give a suggestion on filling a vacancy.  I'd be interested to hear who Barry Switzer would suggest.

HotlantaHog

No committee. As for who to consult with, it's difficult because most of the people who could really help (like Nick Saban or maybe Dabo Swinney) are self-interested and probably looking out for their buddies as opposed to making unbiased judgments.

onebadrubi

You gotta include wildhog, he will get us a crooter if anyone can!! 

What about Petrino?  Think he would head up a committee for us????

EastArkHog 47

So we leave the next hire up to Jeff Long? Or do we hire a real AD and let him hire the next FB coach.

East Clintwood

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on October 27, 2017, 11:16:00 am
So we leave the next hire up to Jeff Long? Or do we hire a real AD and let him hire the next FB coach.

I understand the limitations of a committee but isn't the alternative (letting Jeffy select our new coach) much, much, much worse?

This is something I posted in another thread:

I honestly believe Jeffy would have a better success rate choosing a good coach if he made the selection by throwing darts at a list of names submitted by fans.

Whatever "evaluation" process he's used in the past has been a dismal failure over and over:

Wannstedt
Grobe
Bowden
Smilie
Bert

He got lucky once with Petrino but he soon remedied that error by firing the only successful coach he ever had.

I think everyone should keep in mind just how awful this guy is at evaluating coaches
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ricepig

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 27, 2017, 11:28:22 am
I understand the limitations of a committee but isn't the alternative (letting Jeffy select our new coach) much, much, much worse?

I think everyone should keep in mind just how awful this guy is at evaluating coaches

There will be help, just not a "formal" committee as such, much different angle.

HotlantaHog

He's the AD we have. As much as folks (including me some days) would like to replace him, there seems to be no sentiment to do that from the folks who get to decide.

Tusks

Yeah I'm think of a more informal committee.  A group of people that discuss things off the record and have some input.

Terry Don, and 5-6 people who get on a conference call a few times and keep Long from hiring Grobe.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sickboy

Dead OR alive? Or just alive? Or just dead?

DOA: Jesus, Jimi Hendrix, 1992 era Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ernest Hemingway, 1970's Barack Obama, Joan of Arc, the Tom Hardy version of Mad Max and Hunter S. Thompson.

hogman64

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 27, 2017, 11:28:22 am

Don't forget Dykes... maybe the worst college basketball coaching  hire EVER. 

31to6

Quote from: The Boar War on October 27, 2017, 10:50:32 am
I'd be interested to hear who Barry Switzer would suggest.
Coach Jim Beam. :P

smb

They should consult Hogville before any hire.
GeorgiaHOG

Hogginintheville

Quote from: tusked on October 27, 2017, 12:00:50 pm
Yeah I'm think of a more informal committee.  A group of people that discuss things off the record and have some input.

Terry Don, and 5-6 people who get on a conference call a few times and keep Long from hiring Grobe.

This is what I was asking about.

elviscat

Jeff Long, trying to find a  new coach is like a money trying to scratch his watch or wind his ass. Nothing would ever get done.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hogginintheville on October 27, 2017, 10:18:24 am
If we were to put together a search committee to find a new coach, who would you want on it?

I'd hope a search committee would be made up of people who have actually been a part of the UofA in the last, say, 20 years? Or at least been somewhat close.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 27, 2017, 01:54:34 pm
I'd hope a search committee would be made up of people who have actually been a part of the UofA in the last, say, 20 years? Or at least been somewhat close.

Or at least have stepped foot on campus in the past 10 years.

East Clintwood

I think everyone the committee should be a UofA graduate.

This rules you out Jeffy.

Granny fan

Please Noooooooo!  That's how we wound up with Nutt!

BoogaHog

Dean Weber
Jerry Jones
Stephen Jones
Jim Lindsey
Jimmy Johnson
Terry Don Phillips
Marcus Elliott
Dr. Fitz Hill

Sivad

We had a search committee once.
It got us Houston Dale Nutt (thank you Quin Groovey).
We NEVER want another one.

DoctorSusscrofa

I think they already got somebody waiting.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

dcrback

FCJ...a committee of one!!  Can I vote more than once?  [I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I have relatives in Chicago] :-\
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

DeltaBoy

I would privately consult Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer and Tommy Tubberville. Then I would go from there.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BoogaHog

Quote from: Sivad on October 27, 2017, 02:28:48 pm
We just need a mid 1970's version of JFB as AD...Jeez I wish it could be this way again.

Tusks

Terry Don
Clint Steorner
Jimmy Johnson
Group of Joneses

I like the idea of some of the former players that do national media as that has put them in and out of a bunch of different programs and have seen some do's and don'ts

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

East Clintwood

Quote from: Sivad on October 27, 2017, 02:28:48 pm

True but we have an AD currently and that led to Smilie and Bert,  And almost to Grobe and Bowden.

BoogaHog

Quote from: tusked on October 27, 2017, 02:37:22 pm
Terry Don
Clint Steorner
Jimmy Johnson
Group of Joneses

I like the idea of some of the former players that do national media as that has put them in and out of a bunch of different programs and have seen some do's and don'ts
I could accept that.  I would add two gentlemen.  Dr. Fitz Hill as he is a UA grad, former assistant, but also understands higher ed as well as the special challenges in dealing with the kids and backgrounds they start in.  He also has impeccable integrity.  Also I would add Dean Weber.  In dealing with him as a student and executive (been 20 years since I have done business) he is THE constant.  He has seen every Arkansas success and failure and understands more about how the program was run than anyone else.  He once said "the best thing about volunteering as a student assistant is learning how big time college athletics is run."  So true, he understands the Best Practice and the Economics of our program better than anyone else.  He is in the Razorback Foundation.  Someone need to do a series of interview/debriefs with him and archive all of the information as a future resource for athletics admin.s at UA.  He is as Razorback as anyone I have ever met although he never played or graduated from the University. 

HotlantaHog

Terry Don Phillips is someone who could be good though has been out of being an AD awhile.

Albert Swinestein

Quote from: tusked on October 27, 2017, 12:00:50 pm

I had to chuckle at this silly post.  As someone that has known Jim and his wife Holly since around 2001, you might be surprised to know that Phillips contacted Jim to be the coach at Clemson and was told he was one of the top two candidates on Phillips list.  Both turned Clemson down before they eventually hired an unknown at the time, Dabo Swinney. 

elviscat

This is the way we rid the program of un-loyal people who don't understand what being a Razorback means. Frank Broyles, would have gotten rid of both these clowns years ago.

Dr. Starcs

Made me LOL. Well done.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Hey Future AD - i am sure I could start 1-3 in the SEC. 25% improvement in year one. Extended buy out. 

Pork Twain

It has to start and end with Hogville.  Some of the sharpest guys in the world, that never make mistakes and could do what that darned ole carpetbagger did, are posting on the other side of a computer screen from you every day..
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Porkchop#1

Oh , I agree, you'd make a great AD, but initially, you'll need to hire in as the janitor, and train under Guv, Delta and the others.

jjsam

Search Committee:

Jerry Jones
Chuck Dicus
Ken Hatfield
Dr Fitz Hill
Barry Switzer
Terry Don Phillips
Dean Weber

harrisburghog

Quote from: jjsam on October 28, 2017, 06:41:58 am
Search Committee:

Jerry Jones
Chuck Dicus
Ken Hatfield
Dr Fitz Hill
Barry Switzer
Terry Don Phillips
Dean Weber

I would remove Hill and replace him with Bill Montgomery. Remove Weber and replace him with Scott Bull.

sw403

Peyton Manning would be nice

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogginintheville on October 27, 2017, 10:18:24 am

Phillips will chair it as the interim AD

Kevin

how can you have a search committee without mike irwin
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

swineology

JL will be fired, just ask Delta

(notOM)Rebel123

Why not add Dr. Derrick Gragg, AD at Tulsa. Finished his PhD at Arkansas
and was Assoc. AD, now AD at Tulsa? Makes about as much sense as some of the names being thrown around.....😉

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 28, 2017, 09:13:30 am
Why not add Dr. Derrick Gragg, AD at Tulsa. Finished his PhD at Arkansas
and was Assoc. AD, now AD at Tulsa? Makes about as much sense as some of the names being thrown around.....😉

A lot better chance then some of the old retreads being thrown out, and that's coming from an old recap that's coming apart, lol.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on October 28, 2017, 09:20:27 am
A lot better chance then some of the old retreads being thrown out, and that's coming from an old recap that's coming apart, lol.

I feel your pain....

JethroB.

Quote from: tusked on October 27, 2017, 02:37:22 pm
Terry Don
Clint Steorner
Jimmy Johnson
Group of Joneses

I like this but would also consider Hatfield and Switzer as is mentioned previously.