Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tiger at Torrey starts today

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, January 25, 2018, 08:05:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Eldrick vs. Torrey Pines.   Does he make the cut, miss the cut, or WD due to injury?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

kingofdequeen

GolfNut57

And across the land Tiger haters are sticking pins in their Tiger Voodoo dolls right this minute. Meanwhile the Tiger lovers are likely pleasuring themselves in front of their Tiger 30 x 40 posters in the privacy of their bedrooms.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on January 25, 2018, 09:25:13 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=649785.new#new

i'm gonna learn you fools.    Less Threads are better.

Faulty premise for that thread.  Prematurely posted.  Mine's better.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2018, 11:22:38 am
Faulty premise for that thread.  Prematurely posted.  Mine's better.

I'm going with this ^^^^ I'm going to need a pond to cool off in at Southwind this June.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2018, 11:27:46 am
I'm going with this ^^^^ I'm going to need a pond to cool off in at Southwind this June.

Consecutive prepositions in a sentence.  Must be from northeast Arkansas..

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2018, 11:38:22 am

Consecutive prepositions in a sentence.  Must be from northeast Arkansas..

Ima fixin to hire Ponderin to off you in that pond......

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2018, 10:36:48 am
And across the land Tiger haters are sticking pins in their Tiger Voodoo dolls right this minute. Meanwhile the Tiger lovers are likely pleasuring themselves in front of their Tiger 30 x 40 posters in the privacy of their bedrooms.
I'd enjoy Tiger on the tour and playing pain free. Seems like he is, at least for now. I've taken a new tack on Eldrick. I'm ready to watch him try to compete with the vast number of twenty somethings that are currently on the tour. It will be interesting. I don't think he'll ever win again, but he could be in contention every now and then. It's good for the game of golf as you can see what Roger Federer has done for tennis. Oh wait, he just won his 20th Grand Slam this morning. Tiger won't win a major ever again, he can't drive the ball well enough, but he could scare some of the youngsters. I'd enjoy seeing that.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Lao Tsuie

EastexHawg

Tiger is leading!  He has to be!  I was fast forwarding through my DVR and half the TV coverage was of Tiger.  And, as if that wasn't enough, I saw that they showed highlights of his entire round mid-round.

He's back!

majestic

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 28, 2018, 12:59:22 pm
Tiger is leading!  He has to be!  I was fast forwarding through my DVR and half the TV coverage was of Tiger.  And, as if that wasn't enough, I saw that they showed highlights of his entire round mid-round.

He's back!
Waaaaaa.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

99toLife

He's back!

Believe he is 19-20 right now.  NOT leading

Arky

He's back!
still can't hit a 9 iron as well as his ex-wife 

Jackrabbit Hog

He's back!

He left Phil in his dust.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 28, 2018, 04:08:54 pm
He left Phil in his dust.

-3 compared to even par? Not that must dust between the two methinks. Today MIGHT have been a fair showing for Woods. But he was NEVER really in contention this week. JMO but him and Phil both are rapidly approaching the level of hasbeens in terms of PGA golf.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

majestic

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 28, 2018, 04:33:59 pm
-3 compared to even par? Not that must dust between the two methinks. Today MIGHT have been a fair showing for Woods. But he was NEVER really in contention this week. JMO but him and Phil both are rapidly approaching the level of hasbeens in terms of PGA golf.
If Woods could hit anything in the fairway he would have been -8 or so. Still wouldn't have won, but pretty competitive.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 28, 2018, 04:33:59 pm

That comment was for Eastex.  He's a Phil fanboy.     ;)

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on January 28, 2018, 04:47:15 pm
If Woods could hit anything in the fairway he would have been -8 or so. Still wouldn't have won, but pretty competitive.

That is a huge if. Announcers stated he only hit 17 of 56 fairways. That is pretty bad, even by hacker standards.

majestic

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 28, 2018, 04:59:38 pm
That is a huge if. Announcers stated he only hit 17 of 56 fairways. That is pretty bad, even by hacker standards.
I know. I do better than that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on January 28, 2018, 05:05:06 pm
I know. I do better than that.

Me too. In a given 18 hole round I am usually good for hitting 10 of them and occasionally even 12 out of the 14. However, when it comes to hitting GIR I stink. I usually will only hit 5-6 out of 18. Miss em long, short, left or right. Hitting GIR is the weakest part of my game. But I can still usually manage to score in the high 80's at the end of the day.

majestic

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 28, 2018, 05:11:17 pm
Me too. In a given 18 hole round I am usually good for hitting 10 of them and occasionally even 12 out of the 14. However, when it comes to hitting GIR I stink. I usually will only hit 5-6 out of 18. Miss em long, short, left or right. Hitting GIR is the weakest part of my game. But I can still usually manage to score in the high 80's at the end of the day.
Oh, I'm a shot waster like you wouldn't believe. I don't know if you've ever played Paradise Valley in Fayetteville, but #10 is downhill with trees to left. If you crank one, you can get it about 300 just in front of the pond and be about 80 yards from the green; maybe even a little less than that. I did just that the last time I played. And for my PW to the green I airmailed it into the pump house 15 yards behind the green. I managed to save a double on that one.

Dillar Dog

majestic

Boarcephus

What did JB Holmes do today that might result in a fine or something??  Watching the golf channel and they're talking about it but I got in too late. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dillar Dog

Boarcephus

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 28, 2018, 06:41:56 pm
Slow play - really slow.  That group took about 6 hours it was said.

Thanks.  Been trying to find out and he's being blistered on Twitter. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawgon

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 28, 2018, 06:41:56 pm
Slow play - really slow.  That group took about 6 hours it was said.

I was at the gym and watching it on TV there.  JB got up to the ball.  I did my set.  I then timed three minutes and did another set.  JB then took about another minute to hit the ball.  This was one the last hole with JB effectively out of it at that point and Norren who had a chance to win it if he birdied, having to stand there and watch that ridiculous mess.

Boarcephus

Noren is looking decent now  On it two with Day still in the fairway.

Boarcephus

Well, maybe not as good as I'd thought.  ;) 

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on January 28, 2018, 07:24:17 pm
I was at the gym and watching it on TV there.  JB got up to the ball.  I did my set.  I then timed three minutes and did another set.  JB then took about another minute to hit the ball.  This was one the last hole with JB effectively out of it at that point and Norren who had a chance to win it if he birdied, having to stand there and watch that ridiculous mess.

Dude had to make an eagle to get into the playoff, definitely a David Simms move....

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 07:55:39 pm
Dude had to make an eagle to get into the playoff, definitely a David Simms move....

Yeah, after all that, he laid up.

onebadrubi

What JB Holmes did has to be qiestioned, it certainly appeared like he had other motives.  And they style In which he did it was just disgraceful.   In a game all about professionalism (see speiths slow play immediate apology and quick efforts to hit his shot from last year) he lacked any at all standing in the fairway on 18 today.  He being JB.  That being said, Norens caddy should have forced him to layup and hit a short wedge off that backstop for a short birdie attempt. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on January 28, 2018, 05:24:22 pm
Oh, I'm a shot waster like you wouldn't believe. I don't know if you've ever played Paradise Valley in Fayetteville, but #10 is downhill with trees to left. If you crank one, you can get it about 300 just in front of the pond and be about 80 yards from the green; maybe even a little less than that. I did just that the last time I played. And for my PW to the green I airmailed it into the pump house 15 yards behind the green. I managed to save a double on that one.

I've only played one course in Fayetteville and that was Stone Meadows to complete my "career sweep" of the Arkansas golf trail.  ;)

Hitting a PW from 80 sounds like too much club. No wonder you airmailed it. I would be hitting a LW from that yardage, depending on the wind and slope of course.

Boarcephus

Are the planning on televising the play off??

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 28, 2018, 09:05:26 pm
What JB Holmes did has to be qiestioned, it certainly appeared like he had other motives.  And they style In which he did it was just disgraceful.   In a game all about professionalism (see speiths slow play immediate apology and quick efforts to hit his shot from last year) he lacked any at all standing in the fairway on 18 today.  He being JB.  That being said, Norens caddy should have forced him to layup and hit a short wedge off that backstop for a short birdie attempt.

I don't think JB has ever been Mr. Popularity among his fellow pros.  Not that you need to be that, but there are a few guys who have the reputation of being tools and I think he's one of them.  I remember reading several years ago, when he first joined the tour, that Kenny Perry (a fellow Kentucky native like JB) went to him and offered to sort of mentor him on the tour.  JB's response was along the lines of "mind your own business, old man."

East TN HAWG

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 28, 2018, 09:05:26 pm
Golfers are like gamblers in the belief they can get a big hit or big score on any given shot.  If he hit a eagle on that hole, he would have been in the playoffs.  For him personally, it was a 1.5M shot.  He was waiting and trying to get a break on the wind.  I'm not saying it was the right thing, but I understand what he did.  From what I've been told, JB is a very nice guy off the course, and I doubt there was anything funny about his decision other than trying to get an eagle.   

Your strategy for Noren to lay up is probably the correct one.  However, caddies don't force the golfer to do anything.  The only example that I know of was Phil's deal with Bones where Bones could overrule one time per season.  They will advise, but leave it up to the golfer.  Then support the golfer's decision 100%.  If it is the wrong decision, they never say "told you so."  Also, if they advise and it is wrong, the golfers don't throw it back at the caddie.   

Caddie's make a good living.  Generally, a monthly salary $2,000-$5,000 and a percentage 10-15%.  They pay their own travel expenses, and work very long days 12-14 hours each day.  It is a physically demanding job, but its a lot of fun.  They are not going to risk their position trying to force a golfer to do anything.  It just does not work that way.     

ricepig

Well, that didn't take long, Day wins with a birdie after Noren puts his second in the pond.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 29, 2018, 10:19:31 am
Well, that didn't take long, Day wins with a birdie after Noren puts his second in the pond.

You should feel right at home going in to fish that one out.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 29, 2018, 10:21:23 am
You should feel right at home going in to fish that one out.

I play Titleist, no reason to get that one.

Jackrabbit Hog