Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dennis Johnson status

Started by want2be, January 12, 2008, 06:10:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

I read in another thread that I can not find now, that Petrino is visiting with Dennis when he goes to Texarkana to meet Malletts parents.

Did he play TB only in highschool and did he play DB also ?

If we get Curtis, Thomas, and Schuler do we need another running back ?

bd93

January 12, 2008, 06:32:29 pm #1 Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:36:41 pm by bd93
Quote from: want2be on January 12, 2008, 06:10:42 pm
I read in another thread that I can not find now, that Petrino is visiting with Dennis when he goes to Texarkana to meet Malletts parents.

Shuler will not quallify, per his coach.  Also I have head that Aundre Dean may be coming to Fayettville on the 18, not sure about that though.

Dean's rivals profile: http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=57215

hog_fan

Quote from: bd93 on January 12, 2008, 06:32:29 pm
Shuler will not quallify, per his coach.  Also I have head that Aundre Dean may be coming to Fayettville on the 18, not sure about that though.

Dean's rivals profile: http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=57215

Thats not what i read in an article not long ago. Said he was fine with qualifying

Shizzle

Dennis Johnson status is Junior College...............................
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

jgphillips3

DJ is a great athlete.  The rumours are that his grades aren't good and his ACT was ultra-low.  However, if he goes to JC it wouldn't hurt to be in on him now because he is a top running back in the state.  I think Petrino is the kind of guy to leave no stone unturned in the State (unlike HDN) and wants to be sure of the situation for himself.

Dr Swineglove

January 12, 2008, 07:05:54 pm #5 Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:20:20 pm by Dr Swineglove
IMO, if we wind up with too many RB's, one or more might get moved around to other positions, particularly to defense.  The starting RB is often the best athlete on many high school teams, often making it desirable to sign more RB's than you can really play - and making it quite common to move middle of the pack runners to other positions where they can contribute.

Also, when CBP first began recruiting Dean & Johnson, all three of our RB's were thought to be soft verbals. Now it looks like the best one of the three, Curtis, is a solid commit - but what about the other two?  Shuler would likely be a big back at Arkansas, if he signs & qualifies.  CBP likes playing some power-I... But I think Shuler could also get moved to LB, where he could be a beast. With 4.4 speed, I could see Devin Thomas being moved to WR or DB (where he could be a star), should he get beat out in the spring at RB.  The same could be said of Dennis Johnson - at 5' 8", 180 lbs with 4.4 speed, he might even be offered as a CB, not a RB.  Or if offered as a RB, I bet he would be informed we'd like to move him to CB it appears he could make a greater impact in the secondary.

The bottom line, you've got to sign all the best athletes you can get, and worry about where they'll all fit latter on.  If they're good enough athletes, and have the right attitude, they'll wind up playing in whatever position some healthy competition reveals to be the one that offers them the most NFL potential.  If you can't win playing time in the three deep in college, you aren't going to get drafted in the pros either, and realizing this, players are often open to the thought of being moved to positions where they'll have a chance to contribute.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Justme

Johnson is an outstanding athlete.  Hope it works out for him.  He'd be an asset.

Throwback1

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on January 12, 2008, 07:05:54 pm
IMO, if we wind up with too many RB's, one or more might get moved around to other positions, particularly to defense.  The starting RB is often the best athlete on many high school teams, often making it desirable to sign more RB's than you can really play - and making it quite common to move middle of the pack runners to other positions where they can contribute.

Also, when CBP first began recruiting Dean & Johnson, all three of our RB's were thought to be soft verbals. Now it looks like the best one of the three, Curtis, is a solid commit - but what about the other two?  Shuler would likely be a big back at Arkansas, if he signs & qualifies.  CBP likes playing some power-I... But I think Shuler could also get moved to LB, where he could be a beast. With 4.4 speed, I could see Devin Thomas being moved to WR or DB (where he could be a star), should he get beat out in the spring at RB.  The same could be said of Dennis Johnson - at 5' 8", 180 lbs with 4.4 speed, he might even be offered as a CB, not a RB.  Or if offered as a RB, I bet he would be informed we'd like to move him to CB it appears he could make a greater impact in the secondary.

The bottom line, you've got to sign all the best athletes you can get, and worry about where they'll all fit latter on.  If they're good enough athletes, and have the right attitude, they'll wind up playing in whatever position some healthy competition reveals to be the one that offers them the most NFL potential.  If you can't win playing time in the three deep in college, you aren't going to get drafted in the pros either, and realizing this, players are often open to the thought of being moved to positions where they'll have a chance to contribute.
Curtis is not solid.  Should be, but I"m worried.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

The real Hogules

Quote from: want2be on January 12, 2008, 06:10:42 pm

I believe this was the thread that you were looking for........

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=199282.0
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Dr Swineglove

January 12, 2008, 11:43:29 pm #9 Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:45:37 pm by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: Throwback1 on January 12, 2008, 08:32:53 pm
Curtis is not solid.  Should be, but I"m worried.

Multiple sources say he's a solid commit, the most important one being De'Anthony Curtis himself.
Granted, you never know for sure what a kid is going to do until he actually signs, but everything points to
him being a solid verbal for Ark.

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/?sid=a3666f9515a86ae861bb495efe775abe&cid=64128
DeAnthony Curtis, of Camden-Fairview, has committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks, but with a coaching change for the Hogs, Curtis could have de-committed.
He told KARK Sports, Tom Yazwinski, he is not going anywhere,
"Tom: So you're going to be a Razorback right?
DeAnthony: Yes sir.
Tom: For Sure?
Tom: Without a doubt?
Tom: Your name's going on the dotted line?
Tom: Does that make you excited too?
DeAnthony: Yes sir, I'm ready to get up there, and see what I can do in the next level, see if I'm as great, as I think I am."
Joe Adams, from Central Arkansas Christian, is committed to Southern Cal, but Adams says Arkansas is still in the mix.  He talked about what new Head Coach, Bobby Petrino, said his role would be if he became a Hog.
Adams said, "Yeah, I talked to him, he came to my house that weekend after he decided he was going to be coach.  And he was just telling me they can use me, I could come in and be a true freshman, I can get about 100 balls a season."
National Signing Day for High School Recruits is February 6th.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

4razorbacksinky

Another thing to keep in mind when discussing how many runningbacks is to many, is the need for 3-4 top caliber runninbacks in the SEC. If you notice teams can never have to many runningbacks in our conference. Heck, Kentucky doesn't run the ball as much as we did this year and in our game with them they were down to their fourth string/practice squad guy. It pays to carry extra backs in the SEC. LSU had four guys that toted the skin this year as well. Go back a few years to when Jamal Lewis was at Tennessee. They had three stud backs on that team.
Fear the Tusks!

Throwback1

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on January 12, 2008, 11:43:29 pm
Multiple sources say he's a solid commit, the most important one being De'Anthony Curtis himself.
Granted, you never know for sure what a kid is going to do until he actually signs, but everything points to
him being a solid verbal for Ark.

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/?sid=a3666f9515a86ae861bb495efe775abe&cid=64128
DeAnthony Curtis, of Camden-Fairview, has committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks, but with a coaching change for the Hogs, Curtis could have de-committed.
He told KARK Sports, Tom Yazwinski, he is not going anywhere,
"Tom: So you're going to be a Razorback right?
Tom: For Sure?
Tom: Without a doubt?
Tom: Your name's going on the dotted line?
Tom: Does that make you excited too?
DeAnthony: Yes sir, I'm ready to get up there, and see what I can do in the next level, see if I'm as great, as I think I am."
Joe Adams, from Central Arkansas Christian, is committed to Southern Cal, but Adams says Arkansas is still in the mix.  He talked about what new Head Coach, Bobby Petrino, said his role would be if he became a Hog.
Adams said, "Yeah, I talked to him, he came to my house that weekend after he decided he was going to be coach.  And he was just telling me they can use me, I could come in and be a true freshman, I can get about 100 balls a season."
National Signing Day for High School Recruits is February 6th.
yep...he is....now....look at his last line...that's D being funny...what a kid....
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD