Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting mix: offense vs. defense

Started by hawgwash, January 12, 2008, 02:41:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwash

Is anyone concerned about the mix of offensive vs. defensive recruits (in numbers)?  It was already tilted to offense when Petrino came here.  Since then he's added Tyler Wilson at QB (certainly it made sense at the time since Mallett wasn't in the picture then), and now hopefully Mallett (obviously you don't pass up a shot at a 5 star QB who is well suited for your system).  But its also been reported he's visiting the RB Johnson in Texarkana next week, and there's also a thread about another RB from Liberty-Eyleau, Texas.  And a big target is Joe Adams, who can certainly play DB but if we get him it will likely be at least partly because we promise him the chance to play at least some offense.  And if Mallett comes we'll probably get more chances at more WRs.  Petrino's name and reputation will be a natural draw to a number of offensive players, but defense not so much.  Somehow we have to fill some big holes on defense, especially the secondary.

jwhite_13

According to some recent recruiting articles on wholehogsports and rivals we will have a visit from a DB from PA soon, and also a Juco linebacker who weighs in at 250 pounds running somewhere in the 4.6 range! I know we need more but it is a start. According to scout we have visits coming up from Marcel Darues, a 4-start DE/DT, Hunter Miller, who projects as a safety in college, P.J. Smith, a 3-star safety. We are also known to be in talks with CB recruit Rashaad Reid!

Hawgvillain

Some of those kids who are listed at offensive positions will probably end up at D.  In AR, nearly all the best players end up on the offensive side of the ball.  But, we are offering them schollies because they are athletic - and can play corner, safety, LB, etc.

hawgwash

Thanks for making me feel a little better.  Jwhite brought up a couple of names I hadn't heard about.   A 4 star DL would be a nice get.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hawgvillain on January 12, 2008, 02:49:20 pm
Some of those kids who are listed at offensive positions will probably end up at D.  In AR, nearly all the best players end up on the offensive side of the ball.  But, we are offering them schollies because they are athletic - and can play corner, safety, LB, etc.

Great point - several of our WR's will likely wind up at CB, and a RB or two could wind up at safety.
The numbers will even out.  And now that we've got some good defensive coaches on staff, I'd expect to see us wind up with a few more defensive players committing.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient