Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like we're about to get a corner commit... (NCSt lean)

Started by EastMemphisHog, January 11, 2008, 04:06:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastMemphisHog

per rivals article.

Clement Johnson - 2 star

he's from PA, and played mostly at QB(listed as an athlete). He's visiting on the 18th and says if he likes it he'll commit (currently a soft verbal to Temple). Ran a 4.4.

For Rivals subscribers..  http://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=760638

Beaverfever

He looks a little old in that picture.  Hard to believe he runs a 4.4

FullofInformation

Lorenzo Ward likes the guy.

6 feet 4.4 speed.  Enough said.

opineonswine

Swino

Good size and great speed.  Something that we desperately need.

tendu

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 11, 2008, 04:08:33 pm

Its Lorenzo Ward picture

Beaverfever

LAHOGG

Isn't he a JUCO.  It says he is from some military college.

geddie

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 11, 2008, 04:08:33 pm

I too thought you were serious...i'm glad you said you were kidding.

Razorbackmedic

Quote from: LAHOGG on January 11, 2008, 04:25:54 pm
Isn't he a JUCO.  It says he is from some military college.

Military should be treated as a Prep school. So he should have all 4 years left.

geddie

Quote from: CHafar on January 11, 2008, 04:35:18 pm
Military should be treated as a Prep school. So he should have all 4 years left.

That would be nice if that was the case, but his profile on scout says his class is Sop.
I say we go ahead and pull the trigger and offer this kid.  Last time we signed a player from a 2 year school in the Northeast (Hewitt), it worked out well for us. 

Hogginitall

SquidBilly

Other great thing about JUCO players.  They can be here for the spring conditioning and practices.  Apparently Petrino is trying to quick fix Nutt's mistakes in recruiting over the last few years until he can get some of his own guys in here.

WindyCityHog

January 11, 2008, 05:25:19 pm #14 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 05:29:49 pm by WindyCityHog
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/213277

Richard Davenport wrote a fine article....again.  I believe he had the info on Tuesday...

Razorback_Z71

there is a lot of talent around the pa area... hope we can develop a strong recruiting presents.

jim hog

Brewerfan10

Quote from: jim hog on January 11, 2008, 07:51:25 pm
We've got to get some 4 star recruits.

no, now that we have a coach to develop them, we can recruit more on raw talent. Such as this kids size/speed. the two best corners in college football this year were two star recruits to their respected schools.

Dr Swineglove

January 11, 2008, 08:03:46 pm #19 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:06:59 pm by Dr Swineglove
I think he could be a 'sleeper' - if you call a sleeper a guy who should see immediate playing time.
He looks like a good athlete, and I trust Ward and Ellis Johnson both to be good evaluators of talent and good teachers.  You can't teach athleticism, and he's certainly got that.  He's also a QB, which both means he should be fairly bright/coach-able and as a QB he should already know a think or two about what Db's need to know.
Especially as far as two stars go, it think this guy is a great pickup (if we get him).

Next year we can target some four star+ CB's; right now we need to fill some major needs, and I think
this kid should be a lot more than just a live body.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

nughaud

January 11, 2008, 08:31:15 pm #20 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:34:53 pm by nughaud
RD is the shiznit :)

From that article, he can also return kicks!  OMG when was the last time we had a decent returner? haha
He played QB... I could see him taking some direct snaps or getting on offense and carrying the ball like FL does to Percy Harvin.
Just sounds like a guy who can do a lot on offense, so if he would be a CB, he could easily contribute in other areas also.

Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 11, 2008, 05:25:19 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/213277

Richard Davenport wrote a fine article....again.  I believe he had the info on Tuesday...

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Brewerfan10 on January 11, 2008, 08:01:34 pm
no, now that we have a coach to develop them, we can recruit more on raw talent. Such as this kids size/speed. the two best corners in college football this year were two star recruits to their respected schools.

Good point - the best Razorback d-lineman in recent memory was a two star WR when he was recruited (J Anderson). You can't teach a kid to be a great athlete - as long as the potential is there, that's way more important than recruiting stars.  Of course, I'd love for every recruit we sign
to be a four or five star, but in reality we're going to get our share of two and three stars.  If you sign a two star, the important thing is for that player to have the potential to develop, and I think Johnson has that.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Newcoachplease

ill take a 2 star kid who is 6' and runs a 4.4 over a 4 star that is 5'7" and runs a 4.3 like our previous regime like to recruit

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Newcoachplease on January 11, 2008, 08:58:18 pm
ill take a 2 star kid who is 6' and runs a 4.4 over a 4 star that is 5'7" and runs a 4.3 like our previous regime like to recruit

Very well said +1

SPAL

funny thing is that if nutt was recruiting this kid, we woudl be blasting nutt for goin after guys that temple and akron were after...now that the current regime is doin the same thing, we lavish them with praise for finding a diamond...

funny how a change in regime can alter the minds of people.

im willin to give the current staff a year or 2 based on what nutt left and the fact that BP is getting a late start, but if we are stealing recruits from temple 3 or 4 years down the road, we are goin to be in trouble.

Dr Swineglove

January 11, 2008, 11:13:44 pm #25 Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:16:32 pm by Dr Swineglove
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 11, 2008, 11:03:46 pm
funny thing is that if nutt was recruiting this kid, we woudl be blasting nutt for goin after guys that temple and akron were after...now that the current regime is doin the same thing, we lavish them with praise for finding a diamond...

im willin to give the current staff a year or 2 based on what nutt left and the fact that BP is getting a late start, but if we are stealing recruits from temple 3 or 4 years down the road, we are goin to be in trouble.

Some people might - personally, I've always given credit to Nutt in the past for being able to find great players who were overlooked as recruits.  Jonathan Luigs (two star), Chris Houston (three star), Jamaal Anderson (two star), Marcus Monk (two/three star), Sam Olajubutu (two star), Fred Tally (three star), and Felix Jones (three star) all come to mind as underrated players Nutt and his staff discovered.  The real knock on Nut wasn't that he couldn't get good recruits (he could), but that he couldn't develop QB's, TE's and receivers once they got here - we've have a plethora of four star flops at the skill positions, thanks in large part to coaching, or lack thereof.

Adam Stokes

Bingo.  At least we aren't letting him play QB for a year or two before switching him to a different position. 

Kale Pick also could have played corner.  What happens a lot is they simply get the most talented athlete on the team and stick him at a skill position where he can contribute the most to a team.  Obviously he won't be able to best contribute to the team as a QB persay, but I think he will do just fine as a DB.

jpenrod1

I hope that BP's staff will do well recruiting, but I dont know why everyone thinks we are going to have classes like Saban gets. BP never had classes that great at Louisville. they were average at best. some of them were bad. I expect ours to be a little better because we are in the SEC, facilities, etc..

Amazingly his teams were very good even though he didnt have a lot of outstanding talent according to Rivals. Recruiting is a lot more than getting the known guys. If you are good at finding hidden Gems or people that fit your system that is just as good as getting the all stars.

The coaches have stated that they go with the FTS method(feed the Studs). this will help Arkansas tremendously. We will not need as many athletes as othere schools because we will make the places we dont have Studs a lesser role. We will hide our weaknesses and use our strengths.

I dont expect top 15 classes, but we will get top 30 or 25 just like Nutt did. The difference is we will develop the people we do get. Think If all of the people like ROJO, Baker, Bledsoe, etc were developed into what they were supposed to be. That would give you quite a team without amazing classes. thats what I expect from BP and staff.

Hollywood_HOGan45

eh
not worried.
nobody wanted tony bua or sam olajubutu either. these coaches will just develop more players than the previous regime for sure.

ashleyswine

Temple? i don't know   if thats the kind of interest he was drawing

calhawgfan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 12, 2008, 02:25:11 am
eh
not worried.

Quote from: ashleyswine on January 12, 2008, 02:34:13 am
Temple? i don't know   if thats the kind of interest he was drawing

Me either. Prolly in a Prep for his grades. Akron and Temple are local schools, don't make much outa that. Been watching PA HS's for awhile... great talent, there!
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.