Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those wanting to go into horse racing

Started by ricepig, March 22, 2018, 01:51:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

userpick

"The Oaklawn Racing Club was formed with the intention of being a 501(c)(7) not-for-profit social club organized for pleasure, recreational and other non-profitable purposes. Members should not join with any profit motive or expectation of profit."

What a deal!

cbhawg03

Quote from: userpick on March 22, 2018, 02:00:20 pm
"The Oaklawn Racing Club was formed with the intention of being a 501(c)(7) not-for-profit social club organized for pleasure, recreational and other non-profitable purposes. Members should not join with any profit motive or expectation of profit."

What a deal!

It's really an incredible deal.  You get to let Moquett just throw money away for you. 

He will get some horses that look good, have them come over looking like a million bucks, send them on route race after route race to finally figure out they should be sprinting once the horse is about to fall apart. 

Honestly, could think of a better way for Hogville to spend Userpicks money.  Who is with me?

HawgFan70

Wanting to copy the Churchill Downs Racing Club that D Wayne has eating out of the palm of his hand. They had so many members show up at a a race at Ellis Park they couldn't get them all in the winners circle picture. They own several horses and some are rather expensive 2 year old purchases
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

HawgWild

Any report on how this went? Any shares left?

userpick

Quote from: HawgWild on March 26, 2018, 12:58:11 pm
Any report on how this went? Any shares left?

Going to guess there are a ton of "shares" left.

OaklawnCapper

Ron Moquett posted on Facebook yesterday there are still shares available!

kingoftherapids

OaklawnCapper

Quote from: kingoftherapids on April 20, 2018, 10:51:30 am
lol

Even better he posted it with the video of Whitmore winning the Count Fleet Sprint Handicap

Russ22

Quote from: OaklawnCapper on April 20, 2018, 08:38:00 am
Ron Moquett posted on Facebook yesterday there are still shares available!
I'm shocked...
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

HawgWild

userpick

Come on man. How are we supposed to make fun of this group if a member of our fraternity joins it? Just kidding. Kinda...

OaklawnCapper

I thought you were going to buy the hogville share in this userpick?

userpick

Quote from: OaklawnCapper on April 28, 2018, 07:52:54 pm
I thought you were going to buy the hogville share in this userpick?

I would if you or literally anyone else was the trainer. Once those horses leave Oaklawn, Moquett turns into a 5% trainer.

OaklawnCapper

Oh I know Moquett is from my home town.  I went to school with his nephew and my younger brother is the same age as his son.  Everyone around here goes nuts over him bc he's from here.  People look at me like I'm supporting ISIS when I tell them he's not that great of a trainer.

cram224

Racing partnerships can be good spread the cost kind of a deal. However, with a large group I don't think you will ever get the feel of true ownership. If a partnership horse wins, the racing manager and trainer get the credit. If the horse(s) lose you get to get into the hip pocket. I was in partnership with 3 other family members and it worked out great. We had a say into the selection of the horse, talked directly to trainer and managed the horse career.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: cram224 on May 02, 2018, 07:39:44 am
Racing partnerships can be good spread the cost kind of a deal. However, with a large group I don't think you will ever get the feel of true ownership. If a partnership horse wins, the racing manager and trainer get the credit. If the horse(s) lose you get to get into the hip pocket. I was in partnership with 3 other family members and it worked out great. We had a say into the selection of the horse, talked directly to trainer and managed the horse career.

Cram...Let's find a young filly out of the Waquoit line and see if we can find the 2nd coming of Halo America.  Find something with speed on the bottom too and see how far she can go?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waquoit

userpick

Quote from: cram224 on May 02, 2018, 07:39:44 am

Yes syndicates are great. This isn't one of them lol. Win-win for Oaklawn and MoQuett though.

HawgWild

Well, you certainly don't go into this offer expecting to make any money. From the FAQs:

Q: How much money will I be able to make off of my membership though this Club?

A: The Club is organized as a not-for-profit, educational association, and you should not join the Club with any profit motive or expectation of profit. Understand that there are risks involved in horse racing and you may not receive back any of your $500 membership fee; and you acknowledge and agree that the maximum you may receive back is $500. Any amount remaining above the initial investment, if any, will be contributed to a Thoroughbred racing related charity as determined by the Board of Directors of the Club. 

cram224

I can't believe many people would get into a racing partnership like the one above. However, at least they tell you that you won't get your money back or make money. Anybody that gets into horse racing and thinks they will make money is nuts. If you buy one horse you want two. Got 5 want 10. Have a horse that's very successful, sell to a stud farm for big dollars, you take that money go back to the yearling sales and start over again. To be an owner you need to really love the sport. The greatest feeling I ever had in my life was winning the Ky Oaks unbelievable experience. I remember running on the track but my feet wasn't touching the ground.

HawgWild

That's got to have been a great experience!

userpick

I'm hearing from insiders that this is going to fall through for the second time. Maybe Racing fans in Arkansas are smarter than I thought.

cbhawg03

Quote from: userpick on May 25, 2018, 12:13:02 pm
I'm hearing from insiders that this is going to fall through for the second time. Maybe Racing fans in Arkansas are smarter than I thought.

you can rescue this ya know