Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Average" conference doing ok so far.

Started by Randohoggie, March 16, 2018, 12:00:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Randohoggie

4-0 after day 1.  Pac-12 is already done.  Big 12 was 2-1.  ACC is 2-3 now (including the Syracuse win the day before).  Big East was 2-0.  Big 10 was 2-0.

sickboy

SEC is strong this year. Everyone has been saying it all year.

The travesty is that Oklahoma stole someone's spot. That team had no business being in the tournament.

Randohoggie

Quote from: sickboy on March 16, 2018, 12:41:02 am

The travesty is that Oklahoma stole someone's spot. That team had no business being in the tournament.

Almost everyone.  And I agree about Oklahoma.

MissippHog

Yes, they were, up until the last week of the season. 

Swinesong1

Now the narrative has changed huh?  There were reminders after every Hog game about how average the SEC was.  Especially those in angst over the Hogs' seeding.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 16, 2018, 07:50:56 am
Now the narrative has changed huh?  There were reminders after every Hog game about how average the SEC was.  Especially those in angst over the Hogs' seeding.

I keep reading threads where Hog Fans were calling the conference "average".  I think that's just because we don't seem to have a true title contender.   If an SEC team makes the final four it will be a surprise like last year.  But we do have a LOT of "average" teams. LOL!

The way I look at that, if we are average all eight should make it to the round of 32 or higher.

Atlhogfan1

Didn't even get through the R64 before the arguing starts over the conference.  SEC higher seed in every matchup in R64 except Bama in the 8-9 game.  It was the deepest conference throughout the season along with the ACC.  This weekend we'll find out how quality the depth was and how many make it to next weekend and so on. 

Tennessee and Florida were impressive in how they handled their opponents. 

Bama VT was a great matchup with Bama having by far the best player on the court.  The elbow foul on the VT PG changed the game in Bama's favor.  Unfortunate for him.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawg66

ACC went 2-3 I guess they're overrated?

It's tourney time folks. Every team for themselves now. It's matchups and momentum at this point. The conference assessments will be better understood when it's all over.

SardisHog

Ask Rhode Island if Ok. belonged after being taken to overtime.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

PharmacistHog

We aren't gonna start back up with the arguing crap. Yall won't ruin march madness.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Corkscrew Johnson

Seedings matter.  A lot.  If the SEC had generated the respect it deserved, everyone would have been bumped up a seed or two.  Which directly translates to higher win probabilities.  And more chances for a Goliath in your region to get knocked off by someone else.

Anyway, respect is earned.  The narrative of the SEC changed this year; thanks to last year's performance in the tourney.  I think that narrative will translate to seeding next year if we have another solid March.

jgphillips3

In my opinion, the SEC had two top 20 teams in Auburn and Tennessee (with Kentucky now supplanting Auburn as they peak and Auburn wanes).  Then, I think the SEC legitimately had 6 more teams (maybe 7) that would be between # 21-40.  That is why the SEC was so tough.  A huge logjam of good teams with no great teams.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 16, 2018, 08:29:15 am
We aren't gonna start back up with the arguing crap. Yall won't ruin march madness.

This thread almost as bad as:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=658719.0
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 16, 2018, 08:08:56 am
I keep reading threads where Hog Fans were calling the conference "average".  I think that's just because we don't seem to have a true title contender.   If an SEC team makes the final four it will be a surprise like last year.  But we do have a LOT of "average" teams. LOL!

The way I look at that, if we are average all eight should make it to the round of 32 or higher.
those 'fans' probably only watch their team. i dont understand how they can even be considered basketball fans....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 16, 2018, 08:40:05 am
In trash.

+1  Hopefully we won't do the post mortem on this season for a few weeks. 

GoHogzzGo

Lol to the PAC 12. Embarrassing for them.

Hope the SEC keeps it up today. WPS. Will be curious to see which SEC team makes the deepest run, and how far that goes.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

nwahogfan1

Totally agree.  OSU had a much better record late.  Lots of teams who got cheated out of a shot. 

Big East scares me.  Butler scares me.  They will play as physical as the officials allow.  So we will see how Gafford does on the inside.  Also how much freedom of movement will the officials allow our scorers on the outside.  Will be a chess match which scares me.  Butler wants the game in the 60s.  I would love a chance to play Purdue in the 2nd round.  They are not playing their best ball right now. 

FutureMan

Agreed.  They took the wrong Oklahoma school.  OSU I think was way more deserving.  Beat Kansas twice, beat Texas Tech, beat West Virginia, beat OU twice; plus, they gave us all we wanted without a couple of their better players in Fayetteville.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

popcornhog

Quote from: MissippHog on March 16, 2018, 04:32:20 am
Yes, they were, up until the last week of the season.

I think the perceived strength has been about depth more than great top tier teams.

But at the end of the year, AU is struggling due to injuries and they were the class of the conference most of the year.

Outsiders may not be considering that UK and UT are now playing at an elite level, despite not being top seeds. Also, a team like Arkansas with senior leadership and the ability to put up points could do very well in the tourney.

That depth has put all of the SEC teams in a position to be prepared for the grind of the tourney. But it's largely about matchups and luck from here on out, almost as much as preparation and talent. It was certainly a good opening day for the conference.

WPS

311Hog

Arizona stole someone's spot lol and the PAC-12 in general wow

Atlhogfan1

Today we get SEC's shorthanded teams in Mizzou and AU.  I think both survive today.  Look fwd to watching MPJ tonight and see what the hype is about.  Didn't get to see their SECT game. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 16, 2018, 08:33:28 am
Seedings matter.  A lot.  If the SEC had generated the respect it deserved, everyone would have been bumped up a seed or two.  Which directly translates to higher win probabilities.  And more chances for a Goliath in your region to get knocked off by someone else.

Anyway, respect is earned.  The narrative of the SEC changed this year; thanks to last year's performance in the tourney.  I think that narrative will translate to seeding next year if we have another solid March.

Who was egregiously under seeded?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on March 16, 2018, 08:08:56 am

There are 351 D1 basketball teams. If we have 8 in the final 32 that far supersedes the word average. How could we have more than anybody left playing and be average? That's makes no sense.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 16, 2018, 08:50:00 am
Lol to the PAC 12. Embarrassing for them.

Hope the SEC keeps it up today. WPS. Will be curious to see which SEC team makes the deepest run, and how far that goes.

PAC 12 only got 3 in, imo, to try to save face for a p5 league. Going into last weekend, AZ was to only lock, and the bubble teams did not do well in the pac12 tourney. They really only deserved one bid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Gonzo

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 16, 2018, 08:53:33 am
  Butler wants the game in the 60s.

I wouldn't be too set on that. Butler averaged 79.1 for the season, exactly 2 less than the Hogs.

Go Hogs!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 10:34:41 am
PAC 12 only got 3 in, imo, to try to save face for a p5 league. Going into last weekend, AZ was to only lock, and the bubble teams did not do well in the pac12 tourney. They really only deserved one bid.

What is that league going to be if Arizona gets slapped down by the NCAA at some point?  Alford is a dmw at UCLA.  Hurley may be good for Az St if he sticks around.  But that can't be the conference's banner carrier and it amount to much.  I think Haase will do pretty well at Stanford.  But it's Stanford basketball. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 16, 2018, 10:39:57 am
What is that league going to be if Arizona gets slapped down by the NCAA at some point?  Alford is a dmw at UCLA.  Hurley may be good for Az St if he sticks around.  But that can't be the conference's banner carrier and it amount to much.  I think Haase will do pretty well at Stanford.  But it's Stanford basketball. 

No idea. I watched a lot of the late Thursday games ( I like Bill Walton ), just not getting the players they used to get, for whatever reason.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 11:05:57 am
No idea. I watched a lot of the late Thursday games ( I like Bill Walton ), just not getting the players they used to get, for whatever reason.

If Oregon doesn't get into NCAA trouble, Altman may have the Ducks running things for a few seasons. 

I think the issue is coaching there just like in the SEC where it has gotten much better.  Uga has joined AU, Tenn and MSU in making an effort at least to hire a retread coach who had success at a high level program.  Plus adding Avery at Bama and Cuonzo as a fit for Mizzou has helped the SEC. 

Alford should maybe try to find a landing spot.  UConn?  That job isn't what it was.  You have the NCAA sniffing around and Calhoun hanging around still.  Maybe from one pressure situation to another just before getting canned. 

Randohoggie

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 16, 2018, 08:29:15 am

There has been an ongoing discussion all season about whether or not the SEC was good, or just a collection of similar teams.

I think it's fair to note how the conference does in the tournament as an answer to that one way or another.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 16, 2018, 12:36:03 pm
There has been an ongoing discussion all season about whether or not the SEC was good, or just a collection of similar teams.

I think it's fair to note how the conference does in the tournament as an answer to that one way or another.

Right. Where is the "A-V-E-R-A-G-E" guy?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Could it be that the sec is an average league in a season where all of college basketball is just average?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 16, 2018, 12:46:04 pm

Hasn't posted since February 17th.  At least not under that ID. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 12:47:39 pm
Could it be that the sec is an average league in a season where all of college basketball is just average?
you are relentless omg, are you a hog fan?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogsanity

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 12:54:28 pm
you are relentless omg, are you a hog fan?

What does saying all of college basketball is average have to do with being/not being a hog fan? I hope they beat Butler by 30 today.

SemperHawg

The product on the floor has been trending this way for a couple of years.  Bo said yesterday on his show, something like 4 or 5 years in a row now where a 7 seed or higher has reached the final four.  The feel this year is anyone can win it.

Razorback_Mack

If you want to say the quality of play is average that's fine. That's your opinion. The whole average argument was based on the belief that there are numerous conferences that are better than the SEC. Thus, making the SEC average.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Randohoggie on March 16, 2018, 12:36:03 pm

That's fine.

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 16, 2018, 12:46:04 pm

This is just stirring the pot by calling other posters out. See the difference?
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Perhaps "average" isnt the best term. More like there is more parity this season across the board and the SEC has a lot of teams this year at a competitive level. It's hard to say the SEC is better than others when we really don't have a dominant team but we certainly are better in terms of number of teams able to compete.
Millennials suck...

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 16, 2018, 01:33:44 pm
That's fine.

This is just stirring the pot by calling other posters out. See the difference?

I do. But in a thread about the SEC being average, I asked about the ONE guy who notoriously tried to take over every thread with his "the SEC is "A-V-E-R-A-G-E" crap, and it will show in the Big Dance. We are here and the SEC is 5-0, so yes, I'd love to know where he is. If that's seen as stirring the pot, then I apologize, but if a guy makes outlandish statements and says "talk to me during the tourney when you see just how average the SEC is", I think it's fair to ask where he is without just "stirring the pot". 
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 16, 2018, 01:19:07 pm
If you want to say the quality of play is average that's fine. That's your opinion. The whole average argument was based on the belief that there are numerous conferences that are better than the SEC. Thus, making the SEC average.

My thought is that, while the overall product is not as good, we are seeing talent get more concentrated in just a few leagues. How many teams in the ncaat came from the acc/sec/bigeast/big12?  I dont have the list handy but iirc the sec got 7 at large, acc 8, big 12 6, bigeast 5 - that means 4 conferences got 26 of the 36 at large bids and made up 30 of the 68 total teams. 

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 01:51:10 pm
My thought is that, while the overall product is not as good, we are seeing talent get more concentrated in just a few leagues. How many teams in the ncaat came from the acc/sec/bigeast/big12?  I dont have the list handy but iirc the sec got 7 at large, acc 8, big 12 6, bigeast 5 - that means 4 conferences got 26 of the 36 at large bids and made up 30 of the 68 total teams.
Which really isn't new.....

HeyHogs

We better not be the team to screw it up!😉

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on March 16, 2018, 01:52:42 pm
Which really isn't new.....

No, but it seems there is less talk of the "mid-majors" than in years past. I think people have pretty much given up on a mid major winning the whole thing, and have become accustomed to seeing a "cinderella" turn into a pumpkin in the sweet 16.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 16, 2018, 01:49:36 pm
I do. But in a thread about the SEC being average, I asked about the ONE guy who notoriously tried to take over every thread with his "the SEC is "A-V-E-R-A-G-E" crap, and it will show in the Big Dance. We are here and the SEC is 5-0, so yes, I'd love to know where he is. If that's seen as stirring the pot, then I apologize, but if a guy makes outlandish statements and says "talk to me during the tourney when you see just how average the SEC is", I think it's fair to ask where he is without just "stirring the pot". 

Rubbing someone's nose in stuff and saying I told you so only adds to the bickering and infighting so it just needs to stop. Just need to let it go.
Millennials suck...

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 16, 2018, 01:54:55 pm
No, but it seems there is less talk of the "mid-majors" than in years past. I think people have pretty much given up on a mid major winning the whole thing, and have become accustomed to seeing a "cinderella" turn into a pumpkin in the sweet 16.
Last mid major to win the whole thing? No one is talking about cinderella's because its still the first round. Wait till one gets to the Sweet 16.

You've also had a lot of teams shift around between conferences. Your teams like Butler, Creighton, Villanova, and Xavier are no longer part of mid major conferences.

code red

NEVER DO THIS UNTIL THE ROUND IS OVER...JINX CITY.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 16, 2018, 01:57:18 pm
Rubbing someone's nose in stuff and saying I told you so only adds to the bickering and infighting so it just needs to stop. Just need to let it go.

Sure. Consider it let go.

BroyledNutts

March 16, 2018, 02:50:24 pm #49 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:10:08 pm by BroyledNutts
Quote from: HeyHogs on March 16, 2018, 01:53:35 pm
We better not be the team to screw it up!😉