Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ronnie Franklin, dead at 58

Started by heavylifting, March 09, 2018, 04:32:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

heavylifting

There is so much that has been said and could be said.

Best to just leave it at this -- RIP Ronnie; hope you find the peace that was so often elusive in this life.

http://www.theracingbiz.com/2018/03/09/jockey-ron-franklin-58-passes-lung-cancer/

HawgWild

How old was he, 19, when he rode the Bid in the Triple Crown races? Just a kid at the time. Lots of pressure he was under.

heavylifting

Then, of course, there was the altercation with Angel Cordero in the Belmont jocks room a couple days before the Belmont. That didn't help.

heavylifting

Bud Delp didn't exactly help matters either.

He was always quoted as saying something to the effect that one bad ride from Ronnie, and Bill Shoemaker is just a phone call away. Kind of like Donald Trump talking about his Cabinet members.

And that's the way it turned out. Ronnie got the heave-ho and the Shoe rode the Bid throughout his 4-year-old season.

I could be wrong -- don't have time to look this up at the minute -- but I think Jorge Velasquez might have ridden the Bid in the Worlds Playground Stakes at Atlantic City as a 2-year-old. Obviously, something happened afterwards, which might have fed Cordero's animosity, as he and Velasquez were somewhat close.

Eventually it veers into truth is stranger than fiction territory.