Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For New/Infrequent Posters - The Rules thread....

Started by SPAL, February 12, 2016, 07:55:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

February 12, 2016, 07:55:18 pm Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:26:41 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
I debated on even doing it this year because I "think" we have it down. But in keeping with tradition and we may have some new folks joining us....I'm goin to.

I'll keep it short. We are known across this board as the civilized bunch. I intend for the spirit of that to remain in tact. We are also known for our game threads.....that will not change.

We moderate this area much different than some other boards because of the above. Some say we moderate too heavily, and I don't consider that an insult. A lot of time and effort is put into EI and I want that to be understood.

We aren't going to bash the kids. This is not debatable. It is a zero tolerance policy. This is your warning. A healthy debate about baseball decisions is welcomed. Fire DVH and the like will be removed. I don't mind you questioning a call or a decision, but give an educated and reasonable explanation as to why you feel as you do.

We aren't going to call other posters a name. Debate away but do so with respect. We also aren't going to bait proper into an argument.....you will be asked to leave. I don't apologize for that.

Pictures are encouraged.

Baseball is a beautiful, wonderful game and most of the regulars here take it very seriously. We encourage you to join in, but we are happy with low numbers. If you can't play by our rules that have worked for years, we would rather you not post here.

I think this season is going to be a blast. Hope to meet some of you. Pics are encouraged.

Go hogs

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

February 12, 2016, 08:44:32 pm #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 08:16:38 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

BroyledNutts

So let it be written ....

So let it be done.

Woo Pig.

WilsonHog

If a poster is given to carrying on nonsense just in the spirit of "having fun," they'll need to do that elsewhere.

bellavistamike

I'm someone who posts little but reads almost every thread in this forum. I find EI as the place to be because of these rules and because this place isn't like the other topics (MMQB, Hoops, Politics...). I'm thankful for that fact because it doesn't matter what happens, people go crazy and then drive everyone else crazy... No drama is what I like and EI is pretty much drama free. Thanks guys...

WilsonHog

For the past several years this has been the best forum on Hogville for quality discussion about the Razorbacks. Several of us have worked to make it this way, and we like what we have here. 

So let us have an understanding.

Any poster who demonstrates that they cannot come to Extra Innings and discuss Razorback baseball in a civil and intelligent manner will be banned. Consider it the equivalent of a hitter questioning balls and strikes. This is not MMQB and this is not Jump Ball.

There are several posters in here who love Razorback baseball and baseball in general, and we have a good time discussing the game - win or lose. If you cannot live up to that standard you are in the wrong place, and you will not be allowed to stay.   

Should you disagree, fine. You'll be expressing that disagreement from the proverbial parking lot while the rest of us are enjoying the game.

A few simple reminders:

(1) bashing players, individually or as a group, will not be tolerated;

(2) ignorant comments - "DVH should be fired," "DVH is horrible," "this is a wasted year," "no way we'll ever get to Omaha," etc.  - are unacceptable;

(3) take any dispute you have with another poster to PM. If you clutter the board with it you will both be moderated.

Moderation may include, but not be limited to, having your posts sent to the trash can, removal/deletion of your posts, requiring that all of your posts be approved, being placed on read-only status, being banned, and deletion of your account.

One other note: we do not have the ability at Hogville to ban posters from only one forum; hence, you get thrown out here, you're banned from all forums.

Should any of this cause you heartburn, PM me your name and address and I will immediately process your full refund.

rhog1

This is why EI is the best board on hogville. You can actually discuss razorback baseball without the constant bickering back and forth.

Amityvillehogger

It's why baseball is such a great sport. The pace of the game is slow enough that you eliminate a lot of the knee jerk reaction fans from following it. Thus allowing those of us that truely love it to enjoy in peace.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Knot2brite

It isn't that you can complain gripe grinch etc...it is how you do it...learn how to construct a complaint based on knowledge of the game...it makes Wilson work harder to bust your behind and usually if it is good enough..he will comment on it...I make him real mad because I figured this out years ago ...I kid I kid...but seriously...make your complaint constructive...not irrational
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 29, 2017, 06:12:37 pm
It isn't that you can complain gripe grinch etc...it is how you do it...learn how to construct a complaint based on knowledge of the game...it makes Wilson work harder to bust your behind and usually if it is good enough..he will comment on it...I make him real mad because I figured this out years ago ...I kid I kid...but seriously...make your complaint constructive...not irrational

Much truth here. Tuck had an outstanding post on this a couple of years ago, but the short example is this:

"(Player X) is really struggling to get around on the inside fastball." - perfectly acceptable.

"(Player X) sucks. He's horrible." - This comment gets you banned.

"(Player Y) can't locate his fastball. Might be time to move him out of the weekend rotation for a bit." - perfectly acceptable

"(Player Y) is a waste of a scholarship." - This comment gets you banned.

Earnhardt

I'm a new poster but this is why I love baseball and am looking forward to visiting EI during the season. In baseball if your team loses a mid-week game or a non-conference game to a team that you are probably better than you say something like "we couldn't get our bats going today" or "our pitchers couldn't locate his pitches today and the other team hit him"> In basketball or football if you lose a game to a team you shouldn't its "some changes in the coaching staff need to be made immediately" or "the players have no heart".

19 days!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Birminghog

Thanks again, Wilson, for making EI a safe haven on Hogville. I don't even go to MMQ or JB, if we lose at FB or BB, to avoid the shrapnel.  :razorback:

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 29, 2017, 08:48:27 pm
Much truth here. Tuck had an outstanding post on this a couple of years ago, but the short example is this:

"(Player X) is really struggling to get around on the inside fastball." - perfectly acceptable.

"(Player X) sucks. He's horrible." - This comment gets you banned.

"(Player Y) can't locate his fastball. Might be time to move him out of the weekend rotation for a bit." - perfectly acceptable

"(Player Y) is a waste of a scholarship." - This comment gets you banned.

This may not be the post that Wilson is talking about, but it's still a good post and thread started by Tuck.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=592949.0#top

snf6278

Quote from: bcdeputy on June 20, 2017, 06:58:10 am
It's drama free because the mods delete tons of posts that they don't like.  That's why this is by far the worst board on Hogville.... no opinions that don't match up with the moderators opinions permitted
I could go into detail about how wrong you are but, it would just start exactly what you came in here to do. This is hands down the best forum on Hogville! If you are a baseball purists you would understand. Everything flows in the discussions to the point that most guys and gals like me don't post because it already been said. However, if you feel the need to continue, I'm sure SPAL or Wilson or one of the other great mods we have here can explain it in more detail.

SPAL

Quote from: snf6278 on June 20, 2017, 07:56:54 am
I could go into detail about how wrong you are but, it would just start exactly what you came in here to do. This is hands down the best forum on Hogville! If you are a baseball purists you would understand. Everything flows in the discussions to the point that most guys and gals like me don't post because it already been said. However, if you feel the need to continue, I'm sure SPAL or Wilson or one of the other great mods we have here can explain it in more detail.

I could but I won't. He knows ...he just needs to have his opinion heard. You can't please everyone. I've long held the belief that this board thrives on quality over quantity so I'm not going to beg people to hang out here if they feel the way this guy does. He is welcome to leave and never come back. He won't be missed. He is probably fortunate I saw it before Wilson did. I'm not gonna moderate it any more than I did, but if Wilson sees it and wants to.....by all means.

SPAL

Actually, I probably removed less posts and had to moderate less this year than I ever have. Interesting timing for this .

WilsonHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 20, 2017, 12:02:04 pm
Actually, I probably removed less posts and had to moderate less this year than I ever have. Interesting timing for this .

I was thinking the same thing. I bet I removed fewer than half a dozen posts the entire season.

Some folks miss the point that this board is run the way it is because that is the way the vast majority of our regular posters (and readers) want it to be run.

SPAL

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 20, 2017, 12:34:18 pm
Speaking as someone who visits infrequently, posts even less and who has had a post removed, I do wish someone would say why a post is removed (via a PM) - not for the purposes of starting a running discussion via PM but more for clarification purposes.  I get that a "when in Rome" type of conduct is expected is this forum but it can be a bit frustrating to those who have wandered by and try to interact here for the first few times.  Just an idea...

I honestly don't remember removing any of your posts. I will say this....if a person quotes a post that gets removed, so does the quoted. Maybe that's what happened.

As far as sending a PM....it's difficult to moderate a heavily populated game thread. My goal is to keep it clean. I wanna be so quick, people don't even have time to notice it. So, most of my time is spent monitoring. If a post gets removed, I'll gladly explain why if you ask.

And another thing.....99% of the time, I'm the one responsible for removing posts. I don't ask the other mods to worry with it. They make sure the graphics and line score and everything else is taken care of. That's not to say they won't remove, but they do the other things. Wilson will also step in and remove stuff, but my hope is to never have him have to moderate.

So, if you get something removed... I'm usually the one you'll need to ask.

One more thing.....spend some time over here early in the season to get a feel for the forum and how it operates. Late may and June is not the best time to be learning how to post in a game thread.

If baseball isn't your love and you're just a fan of Whatever sport the hogs are playing, this forum may be hard to get involved in. We discuss the game at the core, we discuss rules, we talk about baseball. I realize baseball isn't the most popular sport, but for those of us who love it, we love talking about it.  That's not for everyone. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 20, 2017, 01:08:26 pm
If baseball isn't your love and you're just a fan of Whatever sport the hogs are playing, this forum may be hard to get involved in. We discuss the game at the core, we discuss rules, we talk about baseball. I realize baseball isn't the most popular sport, but for those of us who love it, we love talking about it.  That's not for everyone.

This reminds me of something I thought about last night when I was watching LSU and Oregon State play. I watched almost all of that game not because I was rooting for either team, and not even because I just wanted to watch baseball. I watched, and continued to watch, because I wanted to listen to Kyle Peterson and crew talk about the game. That's not something I get with any other sport. It's the same reason why I am looking forward to watching Louisville and Florida tonight.

SPAL

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 20, 2017, 02:19:31 pm
This reminds me of something I thought about last night when I was watching LSU and Oregon State play. I watched almost all of that game not because I was rooting for either team, and not even because I just wanted to watch baseball. I watched, and continued to watch, because I wanted to listen to Kyle Peterson and crew talk about the game. That's not something I get with any other sport. It's the same reason why I am looking forward to watching Louisville and Florida tonight.

Exactly. It's really such a deep game.

SWD26

This is a nice forum. As I've said before, I don't post much for lack of knowledge of the game but I enjoy reading the posts of others.
My Dad passed away a few months ago and was a huge baseball fan. He loved watching the Cardinals and the Hogs when on TV. I never was really a huge baseball fan up through the years but started getting into much more the last few and was able to watch and listen to a lot of Razorback games with him.
I know I have said it before, but I truly appreciate the work that goes into this forum by the Moderators, as well as the members. You all make it interesting and I'm learning a lot more about the game. There is much more to the game of baseball than what I realized!
Go Hogs........National Championship this year!!!

oldhawg

My thoughts are that Mods should keep on keeping on.  Sometimes I just avoid reading game posts in other sport's because of the unnecessary, ancillary comments and opinions.  With EI, if I miss a game I will often go back and read the whole thread because it is easily read and it stays on topic.

nuttless hog

In debate there is a pro side and a con side, that should never be taking away

oldhawg

Quote from: nuttless hog on May 01, 2021, 08:40:14 pm

That can be done civilly, as has often happened.  Perhaps, as in MMQB, there should be a separate "rant" thread during the game for bitching, moaning, and complaining.  As I alluded to earlier, IMO the moderators do an excellent job on EI, and I hope it continues to be run the way it is.

WilsonHog

Quote from: nuttless hog on May 01, 2021, 08:40:14 pm

Yes, and that often isn't the issue.

A little insight into my thought on the civility issue. Let's put it in another setting; say you and another poster are debating a point, and while he is talking you talk over him. My response would be to cut your microphone off. A "ban," if you will, because you weren't courteous and civil in your communication.

When I moderate written comments here, I look for the same type of thing: rude or discourteous behavior, a lack of gratitude for the existence of the forum, and a lack of respect toward moderators.

I fully understand that there are some posters who do not agree with my approach, to which my advice is simple: don't post.

nuttless hog

This is June 2nd am l right, these comments on here happen a month ago.

guitardedhero

June 12, 2021, 05:26:55 am #27 Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:44:50 am by guitardedhero
https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/for-new-infrequent-posters-%E2%80%93-the-rules-thread.328660/

🤔

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: guitardedhero on June 12, 2021, 05:26:55 am
https://www.volnation.com/forum/threads/for-new-infrequent-posters-%E2%80%93-the-rules-thread.328660/

🤔

That's hilarious! Copy Cats!  lol

Thanks for posting!

diehardrbackfan

April 07, 2022, 01:06:49 pm #29 Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 01:24:01 pm by diehardrbackfan