Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 17, 2016, 04:16:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razrpig256

Jamison Delmar ('25, AR) can flat out hit, hands adjust the barrel with easy, loud contact with the RBI single here for the @RazorbackBSB commit #WWBA

https://twitter.com/pg_scouting/status/1678858728559329280?s=46&t=4yXoXWOsnPdOMsb8brdEmg

Razrpig256

Luke Cornelison ('25, AR) was pure adrenaline out of the pen for Sticks Baseball today, fast arm and strong delivery as the Arkansas commit collected 5Ks in 2.0 IP...FB 86-90 CB in the low-80s #WWBA

https://twitter.com/pg_scouting/status/1678849738894979074?s=46&t=4yXoXWOsnPdOMsb8brdEmg

Razrpig256

Carson Wiggins is up to #7 overall and the top pitcher in the newest PG rankings. Looking like he won't be coming to school.

factchecker

When I first saw the Walt Jones commit and his year I was confused.

I thought the new rule would stop early commits and that we had to wait till their junior year.

Then it happened.  I realized I'm getting old.  2025 players are now juniors.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ucahogfan

The Area Code Games are underway out in California.  For those not familiar with them, the ACG are a showcase event where teams are assembled based on different regions of the country.  The regions where teams are typically based are:

Chicago White Sox - Midwest (this is typically the team we represent well with commits)
Cincinnati Reds - Four Corners and Hawaii
Kansas City Royals - Pacific NW
Milwaukee Brewers - So Cal
New York Yankees - Northeast
Oakland Athletics - Nor Cal
Texas Rangers - Texas
Washington Nationals - Southeast

There are both the AC Games and AC Underclass Games.  The AC Games are typically for rising seniors (so the class of 2024) while the Underclass Games comprise mainly of rising juniors (class of 2025 and some class of 2026).  This is a heavily scouted event and is invite only so it does indicate high level recruits.  The Hog commits participating are:

Gabe Fraser - 2024 SS out of California - Brewers
Zane Becker - 2024 C out of Texas - Rangers
Cole Gibler - 2024 LHP out of Missouri - Royals
Lance Davis - 2024 RHP out of Arkansas - White Sox
Tyson Lewis - 2024 SS out of Nebraska - White Sox
Lawson Ward - 2024 C out of Arkansas - White Sox (one of three Valley View players on the White Sox team)
Nathan Huie - 2024 1B out of Arizona - Yankees
Alexander Peck - 2025 SS out of Tennessee - Nationals Underclass team
Mark Brissey - 2025 RHP out of Arkansas - White Sox Underclass team
Jordan Martin - 2025 SS out of Missouri - White Sox Underclass team
McLane Moody - 2025 RHP out of Arkansas - White Sox Underclass team
Landon Schaefer - 2025 SS out of Arkansas - White Sox Underclass team

With the 2025 class only being able to get contacted since last week, I imagine we will start seeing more 2025 commits roll in over the next month.

Razrpig256

August 09, 2023, 09:57:35 pm #906 Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 11:00:58 pm by Razrpig256

factchecker

August 15, 2023, 09:42:29 pm #908 Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:43:49 pm by factchecker
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

1dog

TebowHater

What's the story with the Lawson Ward decommit

ucahogfan

Quote from: TebowHater on October 12, 2023, 08:20:32 pmWhat's the story with the Lawson Ward decommit

I have no inside info, but we also have two other catching commits in the class of 2024 with Zane Becker and Carson Willis.  Also have two true freshmen who can catch in Ryder Helfrick and Ty Waid.  Four catchers seems to be about the limit a team should carry.  Could just be a numbers situation.

Also, does he catch full time on his HS team with 2026 Hog commit Keaton Mathis also on Valley View?

PorkRyan

We've dropped a few 2024's and I know a few 2024's that are nervous.  George Mason dropped their entire 2024 class to focus on the portal according to a guy on Twitter. George Mason threatened legal action against him and he didn't budge.  It seems like prioritizing the portal is going to be the move going forward for everyone.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: TebowHater on October 12, 2023, 08:20:32 pmWhat's the story with the Lawson Ward decommit

Purely playing time opportunities.  Still loves the Hogs but there's definitely a logjam at the catcher position. Has had 13+ D-1 and 25+ Juco schools on him since the decommitment. May go the juco route and try and transfer back to the Hogs or another big time baseball school.

Gonna go where he can get early playing time then use the portal if need be. I believe we will see many many many high school kids go this route, where they go to smaller d-1 schools for a year or two where they get immediate playing time, then transfer to the bigger schools.  Can't blame coaches for wanting kids who have proven themselves at the next level and shown they can adapt to the college game.  Particularly coaches who are perennial contenders, they can't afford "wait and see" or hope projects. 

TebowHater

Why is best player in the state headed to Oxford? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to have a clue even who he is. TIA

https://twitter.com/KBoBaseballGuru/status/1722351705432490387

PorkRyan

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on October 28, 2023, 04:00:36 pmPurely playing time opportunities.  Still loves the Hogs but there's definitely a logjam at the catcher position. Has had 13+ D-1 and 25+ Juco schools on him since the decommitment. May go the juco route and try and transfer back to the Hogs or another big time baseball school.

Gonna go where he can get early playing time then use the portal if need be. I believe we will see many many many high school kids go this route, where they go to smaller d-1 schools for a year or two where they get immediate playing time, then transfer to the bigger schools.  Can't blame coaches for wanting kids who have proven themselves at the next level and shown they can adapt to the college game.  Particularly coaches who are perennial contenders, they can't afford "wait and see" or hope projects. 

Looks like he committed to Arizona State.  Should have gone JUCO.  The D1's are after older guys at every level and getting PT at a big school as a position player is going to be very difficult.  You need to be a top 100-200 level player to have a shot at D1 playing time right now as Freshman position guy.   

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRyan on November 08, 2023, 04:49:44 pmLooks like he committed to Arizona State.  Should have gone JUCO.  The D1's are after older guys at every level and getting PT at a big school as a position player is going to be very difficult.  You need to be a top 100-200 level player to have a shot at D1 playing time right now as Freshman position guy.   
College baseball recruiting is changing drastically.  I think everyone has seen the blueprint with the transfer portal.  I also think teams are tired of having to fight so hard to get a commitment only to have to fight the MLB and wait till August to make roster moves.  I'm glad we had a string of top rated classes.  I think they are going to provide the core for us moving forward but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't approach classes with a 50/50 mix of high school to transfer portal.  The official account doesn't really do anything for signing day anymore like they used to.  I'm sure an article will be put out but with the change in recruiting it might be a more wait to see who gets to campus or even wait and see who makes it through fall ball.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRyan

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2023, 05:17:22 pmCollege baseball recruiting is changing drastically.  I think everyone has seen the blueprint with the transfer portal.  I also think teams are tired of having to fight so hard to get a commitment only to have to fight the MLB and wait till August to make roster moves.  I'm glad we had a string of top rated classes.  I think they are going to provide the core for us moving forward but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't approach classes with a 50/50 mix of high school to transfer portal.  The official account doesn't really do anything for signing day anymore like they used to.  I'm sure an article will be put out but with the change in recruiting it might be a more wait to see who gets to campus or even wait and see who makes it through fall ball.

Look back at our great recruiting classes and how few position guys ever made it let alone started as Freshmen.  Moore, Wallace, Stovall.  Anyone else recently?  It's hard and the portal has made it that much harder. There is a misnomer among high school kids that they will go to a slightly lower D1, but they are going to run into the same problems.  Everyone wants proven commodities.  Arkansas State would have been a much better choice than Arizona St.  Crowder or Walters St would have been even better.

hillbilly

Quote from: TebowHater on November 08, 2023, 04:21:09 pmWhy is best player in the state headed to Oxford? I don't follow recruiting closely enough to have a clue even who he is. TIA

https://twitter.com/KBoBaseballGuru/status/1722351705432490387
Valley View is a lot closer to Oxford than it is Fayetteville. They were on him extremely early in the recruiting process as well. Somehow, I think we will manage to survive losing an in-state kid to Ole Piss.

PorkRyan

To piggyback on the earlier points about Freshmen, Justin Seely, who run Texas Twelve and used to be the RC at OSU, tweeted that only 5% of Freshmen saw real playing time in the SEC/Big 12 and at the top mid major level it was only 4%.  That equates to about 1 player per class per school. 

Razrpig256

https://x.com/koltonreynolds1/status/1727031337746633139?s=46&t=4yXoXWOsnPdOMsb8brdEmg

https://x.com/choatemason/status/1727052388924559555?s=46&t=4yXoXWOsnPdOMsb8brdEmg

Crowder CC IF/OF Kolton Reynolds commits to Arkansas. Native of Huntsville, Arkansas. He hit .399 with 19 HR, 79 RBIs, 70 R, 10 SB as a freshman in 2023.

factchecker

The 2024 signing day story was released today:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-announce-2024-signing-class/

Solid class with a few draft risks.

Someone I never noticed was this JUCO transfer from Australia

https://www.nmjcthunderbirds.com/sports/bsb/2022-23/bios/iredale_brent_ihx7

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Deep Shoat

Quote from: factchecker on November 21, 2023, 10:19:20 pmThe 2024 signing day story was released today:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/hogs-announce-2024-signing-class/

Solid class with a few draft risks.

What odds we actually see Wiggins make it to campus?  Anyone know anything?
All Gas, No Brakes!

hillbilly

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 18, 2024, 12:17:00 pmWhat odds we actually see Wiggins make it to campus?  Anyone know anything?
I would say it's highly unlikely that he makes it to campus.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 18, 2024, 12:17:00 pmWhat odds we actually see Wiggins make it to campus?  Anyone know anything?

He's not as highly ranked on the draft board as we expected.  I believe he is currently a 3rd rounder which I think think gives us a shot.  If he was a first rounder, I'd say we have no shot. 

Sleepy

I think there is a very good chance he makes it to campus.  He'll be a draft-eligible sophomore and he's gonna have a stout asking price. 

ucahogfan

Figure it would be a good time to update the stats for our four known JUCO commits:

Carson Schrack - Coffeyville CC
.407 BA (24-59) - leads team by 49 points among regulars
.486 OBP - leads team
.542 SLG - leads team
8 2B - leads team as no one else has more than four
10 RBI
8 BB
6 K
1-1 SB

Thoughts - Looks like he is a solid contact hitter maybe in the Ben McLaughlin mold where there isn't a ton of power.

Brent Iredale - New Mexico JC
.365 BA (27-74)
.484 OBP
.838 SLG (leads team)
3 2B
1 3B
10 HR (leads team - next closest is 4)
12 BB
16 K
4-5 SB

Thoughts - Looks like he has some legit power and could step into a power role for us next year.

Justin Thomas - Florida SouthWestern State
.330 BA (31-94) - His team has a .330 BA.
.480 OBP
.596 SLG
9 2B - leads team
2 3B - leads team
4 HR
22 BB
29 K
18-21 SB

Thoughts - Seems to have loud tools and works the count, but the strikeout rate is alarming.  Will he make enough contact at the SEC level?

Kolton Reynolds - Crowder CC
.378 BA (34-90)
.486 OBP
.722 SLG - leads team among regulars (50+ ABs at this point)
11 2B - leads team, next closest has 7
4 3B
4 HR
15 BB
27 K
2-3 SB

Thoughts - Based on the number of XBHs but lack of HRs, figure he has a really good line drive swing with some power to grow into.  Strikeout to walk rate is alarming for a JUCO player.