Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thon Maker

Started by ADavisTheGOAT, April 03, 2016, 08:08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 04, 2016, 03:17:44 pm
Until someone sailed around the world there was nothing to support it wasn't flat...

I can't even....

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 04, 2016, 01:36:15 pm
Apples to oranges. High school kids cannot walk into the NFL and hang physically. Even today, they can't. They can do that in basketball. High school kids can walk into the NBA and average 20 a game.

I disagree, very seldom does a player come along like Towns that actually is physically ready, and lets not even mention emotionally mature enough to handle that lifestyle (Russell).  Most lottery guys are drafted on potential and what they will be in year 3 and beyond. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 04, 2016, 02:04:28 pm
McDonalds All Americans at North Carolina (6): Joel Berry II, Theo Pinson, Kennedy Meeks, Isaiah Hicks, Justin Jackson, Marcus Paige

I thought most McDonalds All Americans thought they could be one and dones....   Not many thing they will graduate, I know that.

You don't know what people think, you are speculating.  What we know is there a slew of them coming through basketball that AREN'T becoming one and dones.  Your example also shows that Roy Williams at UNC can take MDAA and they not be one and dones and still get more of them. 

onebadrubi

Until someone sailed around the world there was nothing to support it wasn't flat...

You've shown to be unrealistic and ridiculous in your thoughts here on your point of view. 

wheelspigharvey

Let me see that Thon-th-thon-thon-thon

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 04, 2016, 03:26:01 pm
I disagree, very seldom does a player come along like Towns that actually is physically ready, and lets not even mention emotionally mature enough to handle that lifestyle (Russell).  Most lottery guys are drafted on potential and what they will be in year 3 and beyond.

Being "physically ready" for the NBA is the most overrated term thing that I see people throw out there these. Some of the most NBA-ready rookies this year were guys that played one year in college (and another player that was deemed "not physically ready" in Porzingis).

The 3-year rule is really working out for the NFL on the maturity front. I don't give a crap about that. These kids are all immature because they've had their butts kissed since they were in 8th or 9th grade. Staying in school 3 years might or might not change that.

HamSammich

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 03, 2016, 09:20:09 pm
So many of these kids now just don't want to go to school. They will play in Europe, Israel, Egypt, it doesn't matter to them as long as they are getting paid and don't have to go to school.  They should just abolish the mandatory one year removed rule and say if you go to college then you must stay 2 years.  Or go straight out of HS and watch how many kids declare and never see a minute of NBA action.

It would be easier if the SEC just had some fortitude and required a year one redshirt for every basketball player.

Kentucky would have a crap fit... but who cares.

Letsroll1200

Let the kid play ball if  somebody is willing to pay him.

songofthesword

April 04, 2016, 05:13:22 pm #58 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:26:48 pm by songofthesword
Anyone who thinks the most Donalds all American game is for one and done talent is showing they don't know basketball . The game us a reward  for the best us players 

The NIKE HOOP SUMMIT  is where they take the 12 highest ceiling  us players and put them against the 12 best  international  19 and under players in the world . Just about every player on that 5 am will go pro

On the other hand of the 24 MD aas  in 2012, but  10 of them have or will be pro, 3of them, Anthony be nett, Kris Dunn , Marcus smart were  or will be lottery  picks. Bennett is already out of the nva... at 22. Smart is having the worst 3 point  shooting year in NBA  history statisticaly

maxhog5

Quote from: HamSammich on April 04, 2016, 04:05:23 pm
It would be easier if the SEC just had some fortitude and required a year one redshirt for every basketball player.

Kentucky would have a crap fit... but who cares.

Yes that would be easy.  No more SEC basketball.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 04, 2016, 04:12:20 pm
Let the kid play ball if  somebody is willing to pay him.
The NBA isn't. 

songofthesword

he's no worse than Dejonte Murry.. a point guard who can't create lol or shoot worth a damn but is 6'5 so he's a lotto pick

or Malachi Richardson who no one knew 2 weeks ago lol.

or diamond stone who projects to be a smal;ler vsrion of oliver miller without the shooting touch

if i have the chance to chose between oliver miller 2.0 or thon, i'm taking thon. he's so overrated that he's become underrated. he's freaking 19, above avg athlete and he's 7'1.

Phoneix should have a late lottery pick from Washington if i'm not mistaken. he won't fall past that.

al;so the kid has not had the best coaching, or really any real coaching at all. i think 2-4 years with a real; coach and some real structure and this kid can be legit

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 08:33:02 am
he's no worse than Dejonte Murry.. a point guard who can't create lol or shoot worth a damn but is 6'5 so he's a lotto pick

or Malachi Richardson who no one knew 2 weeks ago lol.

or diamond stone who projects to be a smal;ler vsrion of oliver miller without the shooting touch

if i have the chance to chose between oliver miller 2.0 or thon, i'm taking thon. he's so overrated that he's become underrated. he's freaking 19, above avg athlete and he's 7'1.

Phoneix should have a late lottery pick from Washington if i'm not mistaken. he won't fall past that.

al;so the kid has not had the best coaching, or really any real coaching at all. i think 2-4 years with a real; coach and some real structure and this kid can be legit

Also has a 9'3 (!) standing reach and a great motor.

songofthesword

no, he's not going to be the next kevin durant or the next KAT. He's not number 1 propspect overall good. but he's still an extremely good prospect.

let's put his athletic ability in it's proper prospective

here is a list of all the active players in the NBA that are 7'0

Kristaps Porzingis 7'3
Tibor Pleiss 7'3
Boban Marjanovic 7'3
Meyers Leonard 7'1
Tyson Chandler 7'1 \
Roy Hibbert 7'2
Spencer Hawes 7'1
Timofey Mozgov 7'1
Alexis Ajinca 7'0
Edy Tavares 7'3
Alex Len 7'1
Dirk Nowitzki 7'0
Salah Mejri 7'2
KG - listed as 6'11 but everyone knows is 7'1

12 out of 32 teams.. a little bit more than 1/3rd of all teams in the NBA have a 7 footer on their roster at all and only 2 teams (Mavs and the Suns) have 2. ' People act like 7 footers grow on trees lol being 7 foot means something, even today. i don't care if he has one leg, he's probably going to play, and be half ass successful, in the nba if he's 7'0. People want 7'0's so bad, Greg Oden, who can't move still has people coming to watch him work out in the hopes that they can throw money at him.

8 out of the 14 players that are currently in the NBA over 7'0 tall.. or 57% were drafted in the lottery.

so he's 7 foot tall. that means something. of the 7 footers, how many of them can move like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wttjoWjzvm4

in their prime, i'd say 4. I'm including Dirk, and he's probably a better pure athlete than dirk is / was. Porzingis is a given, as is / was KG. Chandler in his prime,. and even now is pretty freaking athletic. Really more than anyone else.. this is the best comparison i can come up with. Tyson Chandler. ; People cdall maker raw but he's no rawer than Chanlder was coming out of high school and he was the 2nd pick in the draft. Chandler, who i played against in AAU, was RAW. he was a thoroughbred athletically but raw, had no offensive game and had no defensive fundamentals. he was 7'0 and could run like a gazelle. it took tyson chandler.. every bit of 5 years to really catch on in the NBA. Chicago gave up on him.

in short, people are looking at the fact that he isn't as good as he looks on his mix tapes and saying he's gonna suck and he's raw, and over looking the fact that he's 7'1 and if you put him in the league next year, he'd be one of the most athletic 7'0s in the NBA, no worse than 2nd or 3rd. his floor is a defensive/ rebounding power foward. his ceiling is tyson chandler with 3 point range.

really he was born in the wrong era. everyone thinks that the only way you can be good is to be the next KD. if this were 1986 and not 2016 he'd be going to Gerogetown and John Thomspon would make him the first pick in the 1989 draft as a center with a nice jump shot

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 09:44:19 am

Kristaps Porzingis 7'3
Tibor Pleiss 7'3
Boban Marjanovic 7'3
Meyers Leonard 7'1
Tyson Chandler 7'1 \
Roy Hibbert 7'2
Spencer Hawes 7'1
Timofey Mozgov 7'1
Alexis Ajinca 7'0
Edy Tavares 7'3
Alex Len 7'1
Dirk Nowitzki 7'0
Salah Mejri 7'2

12 out of 32 teams.. a little bit more than 1/3rd of all teams in the NBA have a 7 footer on their roster at all and only 2 teams (Mavs and the Suns) have 2. ' People act like 7 footers grow on trees lol being 7 foot means something, even today. i don't care if he has one leg, he's probably going to play, and be half ass successful, in the nba if he's 7'0. People want 7'0's so bad, Greg Oden, who can't move still has people coming to watch him work out in the hopes that they can throw money at him.

8 out of the 14 players that are currently in the NBA over 7'0 tall.. or 57% were drafted in the lottery.

so he's 7 foot tall. that means something. of the 7 footers, how many of them can move like this

Your argument is way off because you left out more 7 footers than you included. Almost every team in the NBA has at least one 7 footer on the roster.

Guys you did not include in your list:

Tyler Zeller (BOS) - 7'0
Kelly Olynyk (BOS) - 7'0
Brook Lopez (BK) - 7'0
Frank Kaminsky (CHA) - 7'0
Cody Zeller (CHA) - 7'0
Pau Gasol (CHI) - 7'0
JaVale McGee (DAL) - 7'0
Jusuf Nurkic (DEN) - 7'0
Andrew Bogut (GS) - 7'0
Donatas Motiejunas (HOU) - 7'0
Robert Sacre (LAL) - 7'0
Marc Gasol (MEM) - 7'1
Ryan Hollins (MEM) - 7'0
Hassan Whiteside (MIA) - 7'0
Karl-Anthony Towns (MIN) - 7'0
Omer Asik (NO) - 7'0
Robin Lopez (NY) - 7'0
Steven Adams (OKC) - 7'0
Dewayne Dedmon (ORL) - 7'0
Jason Smith (ORL) - 7'0
Nikola Vucevic (ORL) - 7'0
Joel Embiid (PHI) - 7'0
Chris Kaman (POR) - 7'0
Willie Cauley-Stein (SAC) - 7'0
Kosta Koufos (SAC) - 7'0
Lucas Nogueira (TOR) - 7'0
Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) - 7'0
Rudy Gobert (UTA) - 7'1
Jeff Withey (UTA) - 7'0

songofthesword

lol you just made my argument even stronger.  there are probably... 4 players on that "extra" list that are in the same realm as maker is athletically and one of them probably won't ever play a nba game lol.

maker is raw skill set wise, but there is one thing you have never seen anyone say about him is that he's stiff / unathletic. the kid can [CENSORED] et up and down and plays above the rim.

the fact that chris kamen is STILL in the [CENSORED] nba... lol i rest my case.  literally his only attribute is that he's 7'0. he's made a 10 year nba career out of being 7'0 and not a complete stiff

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 12:07:28 pm
lol you just made my argument even stronger.  there are probably... 4 players on that "extra" list that are in the same realm as maker is athletically and one of them probably won't ever play a nba game lol.

maker is raw skill set wise, but there is one thing you have never seen anyone say about him is that he's stiff / unathletic. the kid can [CENSORED] et up and down and plays above the rim.

Your argument was that there were only about 10 7 foot NBA players and you were very, very incorrect. Many of those 7 foot NBA players are, in fact, pretty athletic.

Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 12:07:28 pmthe fact that chris kamen is STILL in the [CENSORED] nba... lol i rest my case.  literally his only attribute is that he's 7'0. he's made a 10 year nba career out of being 7'0 and not a complete stiff

He made a 10-year NBA career because he was able to be a double digit scorer and rebound fairly well. Also made an All-Star game and has twice won Player of the Week. He was more than a big body in his prime.

But I think I've shown that you'll never be accused of letting the facts get in your way.

CallMeAl

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 04, 2016, 08:54:43 am
Forget making a rule about them staying.  Just say a scholarship is a mandatory two year commitment and if the player leaves early you lose his scholarship that second year.  That would curtail a lot of the Kentucky one and done nonsense and put pressure on coaches to recruit one and done guys with very judicious thought.  This avoids the legal issues too.
/\
What he say.
Hog since birth.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

arsuperhog

Isn't he also playing in Canada? He's using the argument that he's an international player, so therefore the rules about on year out of HS are different.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: arsuperhog on April 11, 2016, 10:32:01 am
Isn't he also playing in Canada? He's using the argument that he's an international player, so therefore the rules about on year out of HS are different.

I thought he was playing in Martinsville, VA  at the Athlete Institute Basketball Academy. Maybe he's moved on to Canada since then. He's been from Sudan to Austrailia to Canada and the U.S.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Fatty McGee

Quote from: arsuperhog on April 11, 2016, 10:32:01 am

No, he's saying he graduated high school last year, so he's a year removed.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

LRrazorback

Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 09:44:19 am
no, he's not going to be the next kevin durant or the next KAT. He's not number 1 propspect overall good. but he's still an extremely good prospect.

let's put his athletic ability in it's proper prospective

Kristaps Porzingis 7'3
Tibor Pleiss 7'3
Boban Marjanovic 7'3
Meyers Leonard 7'1
Tyson Chandler 7'1 \
Roy Hibbert 7'2
Spencer Hawes 7'1
Timofey Mozgov 7'1
Alexis Ajinca 7'0
Edy Tavares 7'3
Alex Len 7'1
Dirk Nowitzki 7'0
Salah Mejri 7'2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wttjoWjzvm4

in their prime, i'd say 4. I'm including Dirk, and he's probably a better pure athlete than dirk is / was. Porzingis is a given, as is / was KG. Chandler in his prime,. and even now is pretty freaking athletic. Really more than anyone else.. this is the best comparison i can come up with. Tyson Chandler. ; People cdall maker raw but he's no rawer than Chanlder was coming out of high school and he was the 2nd pick in the draft. Chandler, who i played against in AAU, was RAW. he was a thoroughbred athletically but raw, had no offensive game and had no defensive fundamentals. he was 7'0 and could run like a gazelle. it took tyson chandler.. every bit of 5 years to really catch on in the NBA. Chicago gave up on him.

in short, people are looking at the fact that he isn't as good as he looks on his mix tapes and saying he's gonna suck and he's raw, and over looking the fact that he's 7'1 and if you put him in the league next year, he'd be one of the most athletic 7'0s in the NBA, no worse than 2nd or 3rd. his floor is a defensive/ rebounding power foward. his ceiling is tyson chandler with 3 point range.

really he was born in the wrong era. everyone thinks that the only way you can be good is to be the next KD. if this were 1986 and not 2016 he'd be going to Gerogetown and John Thomspon would make him the first pick in the 1989 draft as a center with a nice jump shot

Left out a bunch of 7 footers in the league.

He's not a Tyson chandler. Chandler is a 5 and can't be anything else. Maker is a 4, sometimes 3, sometimes 5 (later in his career), because of his skill set. You should think KD or Greek freak with Milwaukee.

Edit- I haven't seen him in person only video

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on April 03, 2016, 10:50:39 pm
I agree. The players would actually want to be in college and play basketball. The senior laden NBA teams are a lot more fun to watch.
fify
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

chenalhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 04, 2016, 08:54:43 am
Forget making a rule about them staying.  Just say a scholarship is a mandatory two year commitment and if the player leaves early you lose his scholarship that second year.  That would curtail a lot of the Kentucky one and done nonsense and put pressure on coaches to recruit one and done guys with very judicious thought.  This avoids the legal issues too.
what if kid transfer after 1 year

SONofHAM

Quote from: chenalhog on April 13, 2016, 06:02:15 pm
what if kid transfer after 1 year
So you logged in to post these real helpful and insightful comments?  Guys like you are why we can't keep threads going in Jump Ball.  No one is happy with the state of the program right now.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

jgphillips3

Well, other than the fact that the Greeks would watch there ships "sink" over the horizon and therefore knew the water, and therefore the Earth, was curved.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 13, 2016, 08:54:38 pm
Well, other than the fact that the Greeks would watch there ships "sink" over the horizon and therefore knew the water, and therefore the Earth, was curved.

+1

The Greeks had a very good idea of the circumference of the earth as well!

BadHog

I'd like to see the rule changed to two years. I don't see many truly elite players wanting to play in Europe for two years out of HS.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."