Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oregon Ducks

Started by hogman99, March 24, 2016, 10:41:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

They sure play fast and apply defensive pressure. The one thing I can't understand is why they don't substitute 5 for 5. I bet if they did they would be a #1 seed.... oh wait.

tennesseehogwild

Their athleticism has really exposed Duke. And it appears they don't mind being involved in an "ugly" game.

Dr. Starcs

Duke ran into a good team after beating a couple of double digit seeds.

Atlhogfan1

Current college basketball doesn't call for platoon substitutions.  The get into their legs thing isn't what it once was as far putting minus players on the court just to make your main players fresher the last 10 minutes.  You use depth as a weapon when you actually have effective depth.  Part of the platoon thing as well is to emphasize going all out on D and not being overly concerned with foul trouble with individual players.  But again it doesn't work so well if you don't have good defenders and opponents end up killing you from the line. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 11:02:59 pm
Current college basketball doesn't call for platoon substitutions.  The get into their legs thing isn't what it once was as far putting minus players on the court just to make your main players fresher the last 10 minutes.  You use depth as a weapon when you actually have effective depth.  Part of the platoon thing as well is to emphasize going all out on D and not being overly concerned with foul trouble with individual players.  But again it doesn't work so well if you don't have good defenders and opponents end up killing you from the line.

As evidenced by our Hogs 2nd unit all year!

Dr. Starcs

I'd like to see both Oregon and blOw-u lose Saturday. Is that possible?

Should actually be a great matchup.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2016, 11:08:52 pm
I'd like to see both Oregon and blOw-u lose Saturday. Is that possible?

Why do you dislike Altman? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dr. Starcs

Hog call.
I hold grudges. Lol

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 11:09:59 pm
Why do you dislike Altman? 

Because that dorkhead bailed on the U of A. Why else? He took the fricking job and chickened out. What a [CENSORED] coward.
[CENSORED]!

Dr. Starcs

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2016, 11:15:00 pm
Because that dorkhead bailed on the U of A. Why else? He took the fricking job and chickened out. What a [CENSORED] coward.

I expect this from some dullard homers.  Not you. 

Dr. Starcs

Grayson Allen is such a punk. Lol

rtr

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 24, 2016, 11:15:00 pm
A parochial and simplistic view of things.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

WorfHog

He didn't chicken out, he came in and wanted to clean house and the GOBN was still in full effect. Mike was allowed to clean house and clean up the program.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2016, 11:12:39 pm
Hog call.
I hold grudges. Lol

I can agree with this part.   :)  He wasn't enthusiastic to say the least.  Maybe he had realized he had taken what was a bad job at the time. 

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

onebadrubi

Quote from: WorfHog on March 24, 2016, 11:22:30 pm
He didn't chicken out, he came in and wanted to clean house and the GOBN was still in full effect. Mike was allowed to clean house and clean up the program.

I wish he would have exposed the real issues before he left

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 25, 2016, 07:52:49 am
I wish he would have exposed the real issues before he left

He wasn't here long enough to find out himself........
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Jackrabbit Hog

He didn't chicken out, he came in and wanted to clean house and the GOBN was still in full effect. Mike was allowed to clean house and clean frick up the program.

FIFY.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The_Iceman

3 years before Dana Altman got to Oregon:

2007–08    Ernie Kent    18-14    NCAA First Round
2008-09    Ernie Kent    8-23             
2009-10    Ernie Kent    16-16    

Altman's Record:

2010–11    Oregon    21–18    CBI Champions
2011–12    Oregon    24–10    NIT Quarterfinals
2012–13    Oregon    28–9            NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14    Oregon    24–10    NCAA Third Round
2014–15    Oregon    26–10    NCAA Third Round
2015–16    Oregon    30–6            Elite Eight (Still Alive)

010HogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2016, 08:22:35 am

Altman's Record:

this is depressing

The_Iceman

Quote from: 010HogFan on March 25, 2016, 08:31:26 am
this is depressing

His worst year in the last 4 is equal to Mike's best year. But Mike gets 1 million excuses for not succeeding, while Altman is tearing it up. His recruiting is also pretty solid the last 3 seasons.

Dr. Starcs

Cmon Iceman, A little easier to recruit to Oregon than Arkansas.

TNhawgfan

I was ecstatic when we hired Altman. I remember all the Creighton fans talking about what a great coach we got. White and others screwed up this program so much with that fiasco
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

gmarv

March 25, 2016, 09:10:15 am #24 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:39:20 am by gmarv

Altman's Record:

what is the third round ? is that like the elite eight in French or something I,m missing ?

bvillepig

This is his 27th year coaching.

He has won at a 64% clip over his career. He is a good coach just like we have. Neither are Hall of Famers of which we have had two.  Oregon was not the dumpster fire that we have become over the last 20.  I wish he had stayed but he didn't.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 25, 2016, 08:39:24 am

I don't know about that. Yeah they have NIKE's HQ nearby, but Eugene, OR is a loooong way from a city/area that produces talent annually. It's a 7+ hour drive just to Sacremento. Their roster is pretty diverse. Canadiens, a kid from Wisconsin (Elgin Cook), and one from L.A. led their squad.

Elgin Cook panned out pretty well for the Ducks. We needed him this past season, especially.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogman99

Altman's Record:

Ice that is all good and well, but does Oregon have #fastest40 and play with energy?

Hoggish1

? about Mike cleaning up program.  Need further discussion on this by you.  Lay it out...

Hoggish1

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 25, 2016, 08:41:42 am
I was ecstatic when we hired Altman. I remember all the Creighton fans talking about what a great coach we got. White and others screwed up this program so much with that fiasco

Ah, the great John White...

The_Iceman

Quote from: gmarv on March 25, 2016, 09:10:15 am
what is the third round ? is that like the elite eight in French or something I,m missing ?

Third Round is what we know of as the Round of 32. That was those years they called the play in games the First Round.

Paul

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 25, 2016, 08:41:42 am
I was excited about the hire too.  But I too hold grudges ::hornsdown::

gmarv

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 25, 2016, 10:40:00 am
Third Round is what we know of as the Round of 32. That was those years they called the play in games the First Round.
so what we did last year was we made it to the third round is that right ??? somehow that sounds better than one and done.

onebadrubi

Quote from: gmarv on March 25, 2016, 11:11:16 am
so what we did last year was we made it to the third round is that right ??? somehow that sounds better than one and done.

As you know, essentially the same things.

husker71

why didnt we get Elgin Cook  hell his dad is Alvin Robertson according to Blue Ribbon basketball 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: husker71 on March 25, 2016, 12:18:43 pm
why didnt we get Elgin Cook  hell his dad is Alvin Robertson according to Blue Ribbon basketball 

We recruited him, but he chose Oregon. I don't believe he ever visited. I think it was just Oregon and Gonzaga that got visits.

Quote"I liked the fact that me, Damyean [Dotson] and Dominic [Artis] will have a chance to grow together," Cook told SNY.tv by text. "I think Oregon fits my style. The fans were crazy and I'm just excited about Dana and the coaching staff."

"He chose Oregon because of his relationship with Coach Dana Altman and Coach Tony Stubblefield," Forbes said. "He has the opportunity to play and be in the same class as Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson. He also liked the style of play."
http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2013/3/6/4072978/four-star-junior-college-forward-elgin-cook-to-visit-eugene-on

After arriving Dotson was charged with rape and transferred to Houston. Artis, formerly the top JUCO of his class, was also booted for sexual assault allegations and ended up at UTEP.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

husker71

and then the Ducks took Brandon Austin from Providence who had been accused there of rape and then was one of three players accused of a rape at Oregon.  I played against Altman in JC (although I don't remember him)  and I know the reputation of his high school and Junior College coach (who is in the JC HOF) and I don't want this to be perceived to be against Altman but he has taken some chances that would scare me.

hobhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 25, 2016, 08:39:24 am

He did it at Creighton too.

Complete BS. We can recruit top talent and win big. It has been proven.

husker71

Oregon has Nike and to us old guys it does not mean much but to kids that is really big.  Great article in ESPN.com on how Nike had first chance to get Seth Curry signed but somehow they blew it and he went to Under Armour.  If you are an athlete and sign with Oregon for any sport you are going to THE Nike university.  Today on one show they were saying LeBrons real employer is Nike who gave him a lifetime contract for $500 million and how his job is playing for the Cavs but his real money is with Nike.

Dr. Starcs

hobhog, if you think it is easier to recruit to arkansas than oregon, you are out of your mind.

Maybe 20 years ago, but not in the last 10+ years.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 25, 2016, 05:42:14 pm
hobhog, if you think it is easier to recruit to arkansas than oregon, you are out of your mind.

Oregon is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.
To put in perspective, I've lived in 11 states and traveled the country.
Only The Keys would come close for me, and that's a completely different culture and landscape.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogBreath

Just say no to quack.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 25, 2016, 05:42:14 pm

Looks like it may have been much tougher to recruit there when Ernie Kent was the coach.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dr. Starcs

Actually, Ernie Kent had a lot of success there.

Had some real good guards Aaron Brooks, Luke Ridnour just off the top of my head.

ChicoHog

They got a new arena and upgrade facilities of course thank to Knight and his bajillion dollars.  Altman is a good coach but I am rooting for Buddy and OU.  Can't stand the Ducks.  Plus I like Kruger.   

WorfHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 25, 2016, 09:56:13 am
? about Mike cleaning up program.  Need further discussion on this by you.  Lay it out...

APR issues are a thing of the past. He doesn't tolerate drug use and he doesn't keep guys around who are violent criminals.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WorfHog on March 25, 2016, 11:09:32 pm
APR issues are a thing of the past. He doesn't tolerate drug use and he doesn't keep guys around who are violent criminals.

Does weed count as drugs and assault as violence? 

1highhog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 25, 2016, 05:59:44 pm
Oregon is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.
To put in perspective, I've lived in 11 states and traveled the country.
Only The Keys would come close for me, and that's a completely different culture and landscape.

My man, you need to get out and travel more.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2016, 11:11:44 pm
Does weed count as drugs and assault as violence?

Give examples of them being tolerated.