Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy Open ???

Started by Porked Tongue, March 24, 2016, 04:11:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

March 24, 2016, 04:11:31 pm Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:25:06 pm by Porked Tongue
Stallings is gone.

EDIT: Maybe.

ricepig

Porked Tongue

Guess it's in a flux.

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 24, 2016, 04:23:21 pm
Guess it's in a flux.

Maybe they haven't told him yet, lol.

Porked Tongue

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 04:24:25 pm
Maybe they haven't told him yet, lol.

I hope this is it. That would be so funny

The_Iceman

When you think about the way people talk about Stallings, you'd think he has been awesome at Vanderbilt. His record is surprising when you look at it:

1999–00    Vanderbilt    19–11    First Round
2000–01    Vanderbilt    15–15    
2001–02    Vanderbilt    17–15    NIT Second Round
2002–03    Vanderbilt    11–18    
2003–04    Vanderbilt    23–10    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2004–05    Vanderbilt    20–14    NIT Second Round
2005–06    Vanderbilt    17–13    NIT First Round
2006–07    Vanderbilt    22–12    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2007–08    Vanderbilt    26–8            NCAA First Round
2008–09    Vanderbilt    19–12        
2009–10    Vanderbilt    24–9          NCAA First Round
2010–11    Vanderbilt    23–11    NCAA Second Round
2011–12    Vanderbilt    25–11    NCAA Third Round
2012–13    Vanderbilt    16–17        
2013–14    Vanderbilt    15–16        
2014–15    Vanderbilt    21–14    NIT Quarterfinals
2015–16    Vanderbilt    19–14    NCAA First Four

poloprince

Surprising resume I must say. I wonder if he could have lasted that long at Arkansas with those results?
$PoLoPrInCe$

Atlhogfan1

Stallings coached 1/2 of Vanderbilt's 14 NCAAT appearances with 2 of their 4 SW 16 appearances.  A reason why he stayed there so long.  He has done a good job based on the history of their program. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: poloprince on March 24, 2016, 05:12:08 pm
Surprising resume I must say. I wonder if he could have lasted that long at Arkansas with those results?

He shouldn't have.  7 NCAAT appearances in 17 seasons, 2 Sw16's and never past the Sw16.  Only 2 seasons out of 17 with single digit losses.  60% win percentage. 

When Stallings took over Vandy, the Hogs program had been to 24 NCAAT's, 6 Final 4's with a NC and at least as far as the SW16 10 times.  Even after this down period, our program's win % all time is 64%.  Ark basketball wasn't V basketball.  By V standards, Stallings did pretty well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dr. Starcs

And only threatened to kill one player that we know of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: poloprince on March 24, 2016, 05:12:08 pm

If he changed his name to Mike it wouldn't have to be that good!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2016, 05:58:55 pm
And only threatened to kill one player that we know of.

In that regard he's got a long way to go to catch up with Bob.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

husker71

If he is fired they must already have somebody lined up because to me that is not a great job    a good job yes but the entry requirements I am guessing are tough

HogBreath

Wow...in year 5 for Stallings, he took Vandy to the sweet 16.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Sivad

Quote from: HogBreath on March 24, 2016, 06:48:16 pm
Wow...in year 5 for Stallings, he took Vandy to the sweet 16.
Well, we're going to Spain.

Dr. Starcs

I cannot respect any coach that lets mike sanchez single-handedly beat his team on their home court.

HogBreath

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2016, 06:59:02 pm
I cannot respect any coach that lets mike sanchez single-handedly beat his team on their home court.
Something about this thread title, combined with your avatar, makes me think of the French open.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hogfan1660

Quote from: Sivad on March 24, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
Well, we're going to Spain.

^^^^This^^^^😂😂😂😂😂😂😠😠😠😠😠😠

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 05:16:03 pm
Stallings coached 1/2 of Vanderbilt's 14 NCAAT appearances with 2 of their 4 SW 16 appearances.  A reason why he stayed there so long.  He has done a good job based on the history of their program.

Stats are for losers when their analysis is static.

If you look at these numbers in the static sense as was done in the quoted post, you would mistakenly believe that Vandy has always sucked. The problem with this theory is that until 1975, if you didn't win your conference automatic bid, you didn't get to go to the NCAA tournament. There were no at large bids.

There have only been at large bids for the past 40 years. Even then, there were 40 teams until 1980 with only 15 at large bids at the most during that time. In 1980, the tournament expanded to 48 teams until 1982. It would be 1985 before the tournament would take on it's modern form of at least 64 teams. That means that it has only been 30 years that the tournament had significant numbers of at large bids.

Prior to expansion, if you were in the SEC, you had to beat Kentucky out for the lone bid from your conference. Vandy could have been very good many times and had to stay at home. How would Arkansas have fared if the path to the tournament had meant you only got to go if you won the Conference tourney? We have won it ONCE.

Vandy has made the NCAA's 12 times since the field expanded to 64. They only managed 2 appearances prior to that because they played in the same league as Kentucky.

If you simply took the quoted post at face value, you would think Vandy has been an irrelevant program except for Stallings tenure. However, Vandy has made the field 40% of the time since the field expanded to 64. In 17 seasons, Stallings has made the tourney about 47% of the time. Prior to hiring Van Breda Koff, who Stallings replaced, Vandy was making the tournament 50% of the time.

The assertion that Stallings is out performing historical averages for Vandy is incorrect when you look at it with the ALL the information.

In fact, since 1980, Vandy has had 7 losing seasons. Stallings has 2 of those AND 2 .500 seasons. Stallings is almost dead on for all the Vandy numbers since the tournament expanded to 64 teams..............................NOT SURPASSING THEM

Stallings has only had SIX winning conference records in 17 years. Vandy had 5 winning conference records in the 13 seasons prior to Stallings. Again, pretty much dead on target for historical performance.

The notion that Stallings has done a "GOOD" job given Vandy's history is bunk. Vandy has had 4 coaches over the last 30 years. Arguments can be made for Stallings being as high as 1 on that list or as low 3..

BASED ON VANDY'S TRUE HISTORICAL PERFORMANCE.