Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

texas tush hog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 19, 2012, 12:50:15 pm
We're never taking ECU or any other directional school.  Houston's a poor fit as well:  metro school with very little money fanbase, tradition, or academic reputation.

If the SEC is going back to Texas again, I think it'd be SMU over Houston, but I don't think it'll ever be either one, really.  If the SEC is going to expand again, they'll be looking east for an opportunity to rebalance the conference and send Missouri back west.

The only possibilities are now Va. Tech, UVA, UNC, or NC State,now that Maryland is off the board, could possibly be Fla State and Clemson but doubt it. Clemson voted for the 50 million exit fee so they have no leg to stand on. Fla State, on the other hand like Maryland, voted against it, and could litigate a smaller fee.. No more possibilities out west period. Slive has his man, so to speak and is just waiting to spring it. Jeff Long is trying to imitate Slive, but he is no Slive. Patterson may still leave him at the alter.

texas tush hog

Texass, Zero-U and the Okie Pokes had their chances in the SEC and are all now personna non grata as far as Slive is concerned. Besides with vetoes from Arkansas, LSU, Missouri and Texas A&M don't ever believe they can get the necessary votes.

hogsanity

It is still going to eventually end up with four 16 teams super conferences ( at least for football ).  This is the only set up that has any chance of eventually getting to a 8 or more team playoff.  As long as teams like San Jose St, ULL, Bufallo, or their ilk are involved in fbs level football, a full fledged playoff is never going to happen. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

elvis26

;D it is going to be exciting to see which 2 teams the sec gets to come to the sec!!!!!!!!!! let the fun begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murr

QuoteMHver3 ‏@MHver3
3 votes against adding Uconn, 6 votes against UL currently in ACC. Lobbying could reduce UL votes to 2 against. UM, FSU, BC against Uconn

ACC is having trouble even backfilling with UConn and L'ville.  I would not be surprised to see Big12 swoop in for 3 or 4 Big 12 teams in one shot with/without L'ville.

QuoteThe Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
UCONN has notified the Big East it is leaving for the ACC.

@DavidSouth1 GT has already applied to B1G. If VT goes to SEC then UVA goes to B1G too.

A B12 East with WVU, Clemson, FSU, UL, Pitt, NC State, Iowa State & Miami isn't that bad.

ACC turkey might already be carved.

Murr

QuoteMHver3 ‏@MHver3
I am hearing GT and UVA to the Big 10 by next week. At least that's what I'm hearing

This Thanksgiving, your turkey will not be the only thing getting carved up.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Murr on November 19, 2012, 06:14:31 pm
ACC is having trouble even backfilling with UConn and L'ville.  I would not be surprised to see Big12 swoop in for 3 or 4 Big 12 teams in one shot with/without L'ville.

ACC turkey might already be carved.

You do realize with that scenario the B1G takes UVA and Duke and the SEC takes Va Tech and UNC.

Murr

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 19, 2012, 06:32:32 pm

You do realize with that scenario the B1G takes UVA and Duke and the SEC takes Va Tech and UNC.

Actually, B1G would get UVA and GT, SEC would get VT and UNC

Murr

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/19/Coach-Krzyzewski-Maryland/index.html#ixzz2Chw9BMds

Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski is worried about the future of the Atlantic Coast Conference in the wake of Maryland's departure.

"I think the ACC is vulnerable right now, I'm concerned about our conference,"

Krzyzewski added: "I think there could still be some movement in our conference."

NWASooner

What's funny is that the Big 12 was a distant second for Notre Dame when they went to the ACC.  Now, the ACC might be on the verge of imploding and not even a $50 million exit fee seems to be stopping it.

The Big 12 will likely make a play for Florida State and Clemson.  They might even make a play for Notre Dame again but Notre Dam may be anchored into the ACC.

Then again, the Big 12 is making the same as the other conferences but with 10 members.

Who knows what's going to happen?

Bamafan35652

Quote from: NWASooner on November 19, 2012, 08:27:34 pm
What's funny is that the Big 12 was a distant second for Notre Dame when they went to the ACC.  Now, the ACC might be on the verge of imploding and not even a $50 million exit fee seems to be stopping it.

The Big 12 will likely make a play for Florida State and Clemson.  They might even make a play for Notre Dame again but Notre Dam may be anchored into the ACC.

Then again, the Big 12 is making the same as the other conferences but with 10 members.

Who knows what's going to happen?
I agree 100%.  When founding members of your conference (Maryland) are leaving, you know things are crashing fast. 
"The quarterback carry is certainly the best carry and one that we have an opportunity that if you play coverage on the remaining players, the numbers are best to run the football." Les Miles

Murr

QuoteGreg Swaim Show ‏@GSwaim
@LaSportsDude There's a real sense of panic from #ACC teams today to get out while they still can. #UNC is one of those teams.

@TAFKasEER96 Still hearing #Big12 talking renegotiation of TV deal to make additions, but not until. Those talks are hush-hush, obviously.

QuoteJon Wilner ‏@wilnerhotline
Realignment source: UConn to ACC could happen as soon as Tuesday.

Will B1G stop at 14? My realignment sources always believed GaTech a good bet for B1G (academics, TV market & recruiting foothold in South)

Maryland to B1G math: 3.4 mil TV homes in DC/Balt times $1/month sub (approx) times 12 months divided by 14 = $2.9 million/school

Murr

http://tracking.si.com/2012/11/20/conference-realignment-boise-state-mountain-west-byu-san-diego-state/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Because the Big East has now lost six teams in the last year alone, McMurphy reports that Boise State and San Diego State may be reconsidering their options:

With the Big East losing two more schools and having the same playoff access as the Mountain West, Boise State and San Diego State are reconsidering their options. One of the main reasons both schools opted to join the Big East was the draw of more television revenue.

The move would be attractive for BYU because the school currently has independent status. Joining the so-called "Group of Five" would make it easier for the school to earn a major bowl berth. However, McMurphy reports that it would need to be exempted from its contract with ESPN, which runs through 2018.

josh_sec33

The ACC is only buying time. in 2 years we're going to see the 4 16-teams superconferences in the SEC, B1G, Pac-16, and somewhat shockingly, the Big 12-2+...(whatever it takes to get it to 16)

Then the playoffs look pretty neat with the previous bowl tie ins and the failed Pac/B1G Alliance reborn:

Each conference title game is a quarterfinal, then the Champions Bowl and the Rose Bowl are the semis, and then you bid out the National Title game.

.....At least that's how I'd like to see it in a perfect world.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Lysol

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 20, 2012, 08:21:39 am
The ACC is only buying time. in 2 years we're going to see the 4 16-teams superconferences in the SEC, B1G, Pac-16, and somewhat shockingly, the Big 12-2+...(whatever it takes to get it to 16)

Then the playoffs look pretty neat with the previous bowl tie ins and the failed Pac/B1G Alliance reborn:

Each conference title game is a quarterfinal, then the Champions Bowl and the Rose Bowl are the semis, and then you bid out the National Title game.

Not looking that way with all these schools looking after their own best interests. There's no direction in college football. There are 125 commissioners

NWASooner

I'm waiting for conferences to start shedding schools.  There's something to be said for that.

One thing I'll give the Big 12 credit for is that unless they can get the right schools, they're happy with 10 and they'll stay there.

NaturalStateReb

Yesterday was the first shot in an effort that will whittle the ACC yacht into a johnboat.  To me, this was about two things.  First, and most obviously, is the footprint.  This isn't like the SEC expansion, which had a footprint angle, as well.  With the SEC expansion, in addition to the footprint, you got two major universities that each added value to the conference:  A&M mostly in football, Mizzou mostly in basketball, and both in academics.  Rutgers and Maryland don't bring anything but academics, which the Big Ten Network is going to have trouble televising.

Second, it's all about the B1G's continuing love affair with Notre Dame.  Notre Dame's announcement with the ACC got this thing going, IMO.  They're the big prize in all of this, and I think that the B1G has an interest in destablizing the ACC in order to put Notre Dame back in play and force them into a conference, presumably theirs. 

By picking off Maryland, the B1G has created a test case for leaving the ACC and you can bet that people at Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and perhaps elsewhere are watching very closely.  If the Terps are able to escape without paying too much in exit fees, you can bet the Big 12 will come calling for at least Florida State, and perhaps Clemson and others.  If that happens, it'll be open season on the ACC and the SEC will go after two east teams to round out to 16, curing the odd 14-school rotation and sending Missouri back to the more geographically sensible SEC West.

The former Big East will essentially get the band back together with the leavings in a greatly diminished ACC.  An ACC with no FSU, no Clemson, and potentially no Miami, no VT, or others isn't an ACC that's going to be attractive to ND.  There'll be a rush to get seats at the big kids table, and the Irish will feel pressure to claim one.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rhog1

Quote from: NWASooner on November 20, 2012, 09:02:09 am
I'm waiting for conferences to start shedding schools.  There's something to be said for that.

One thing I'll give the Big 12 credit for is that unless they can get the right schools, they're happy with 10 and they'll stay there.
The last thing I saw only Texas was happy at ten. The other schools want to go to 12 and play a championship for added stability.

RyeHogFan

Quote from: josh_sec33 on November 20, 2012, 08:21:39 am

If this particular scenario plays out, would it not be better for Arkansas to go to the Big XII?  With the BCS setup right now, it's good to be a member of the best conference because that gives you a little more of a chance to still get to the NC game even with one loss (or 2  i.e.  LSU 2007).  But if it simply goes to 4 16-team superconferences and then the champions of those four leagues have a 4 team playoff for the NC, it would seem much easier to get to the playoff from the Big XII than the SEC.  I'm not saying I want Arkansas to leave the SEC, but if everything goes like you said, it might end up being the best thing in that format.

hogsanity

Quote from: Lysol on November 20, 2012, 08:33:45 am
Not looking that way with all these schools looking after their own best interests. There's no direction in college football. There are 125 commissioners

There is a definit direction, it is toward 4 ( maybe 5 ) super conferences of 16 teams each.  4 conferences like that give a very real frame work for a football playoff, and lets face it, at this point major college athletics is all about football. 4 leagues, 8 eight team divisons, or 16 four team dicisions gives the setup for a nfl style playoff, 8 div champs plus 4 wild cards.  The money would be too great for them to continue to whine about too many games etc.  It is also likely, at least for football, these schools break from the NCAA.  The money will be so big, they will share with the other current fbs schools, just to keep them quiet and happy.  It could work with 80 teams ( 5 leagues ) but it is a bit more complex.  64 is just a nice neat manageable number.

The question does become, do the current leagues start kicking out members to make room for more attractice teams?  Does the SEC boot Vandy?  Does the big12 boot TT and ISU?  Does the PAC12 cut Colorado?  Does anyone want Duke?  Great Bball school, great academics, but bring nothing to the table in football, and never will. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RyeHogFan on November 20, 2012, 09:33:37 am
If this particular scenario plays out, would it not be better for Arkansas to go to the Big XII?  With the BCS setup right now, it's good to be a member of the best conference because that gives you a little more of a chance to still get to the NC game even with one loss (or 2  i.e.  LSU 2007).  But if it simply goes to 4 16-team superconferences and then the champions of those four leagues have a 4 team playoff for the NC, it would seem much easier to get to the playoff from the Big XII than the SEC.  I'm not saying I want Arkansas to leave the SEC, but if everything goes like you said, it might end up being the best thing in that format.

You are assuming the conferences would all have the same media payouts for their conference related media contracts. It isn't just about making it to the playoffs easier or playoff payouts. It is about money in total. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rzrbackrob

Quote from: RyeHogFan on November 20, 2012, 09:33:37 am

The big 12-2-1-1+2 lynchpin is Texass. Arkansas should NEVER be held hostage by the whims of Texass. As an example, what if Texass decided to go independent or bolt to the PAC 12? Try getting back into the SEC (see GT) or another big time conference if the big 12-2-1-1+2 were to dissolve with the State of Arkansas and it's 3 million people. Hogs would be relegated to one of the group of five.
Frank was a visionary when he moved the Hogs to the SEC 20 yrs ago. Texass has run almost every good program out of the big 12-2-1-1+2 and replaced them with much lesser programs. All the while Texass is thinking with every defection, it will just be that much easier to go undefeated. The problem is that they would still not be very good and get stomped in any playoff scenario.

Try this on for a home schedule this year for Texass  :puke: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::
Wyoming
New Mexico
WVU
Baylor
K State

Who cares if your team goes undefeated in a conference made up of Mountain West and Big East teams.
Good is the enemy of great

Murr

I believe @mhver3 tweeted that VT and NCSt's admins met with Slive and SEC reps today.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Murr on November 21, 2012, 02:06:51 am
I believe @mhver3 tweeted that VT and NCSt's admins met with Slive and SEC reps today.

Also says FSU and Clemson are making a final push for the SEC.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bamafan35652 on November 19, 2012, 08:41:02 pm
I agree 100%.  When founding members of your conference (Maryland) are leaving, you know things are crashing fast. 

It may not be a total crash. Maybe just a fender bender. The Big12 recovered somewhat after losing Colorado, Nebraska, TAMU and Mizzou. They are not quite the same but at least they are somewhat viable and may grow some more.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

I don't see how Swofford can survive as Commish if they lose anymore.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: NWASooner on November 20, 2012, 09:02:09 am

The big 12-2-1-1+2 is backfilling the conference with Big East and Mountain West teams.
Now if Clemson and FSU join the big 12-2-1-1+2 which would of course have to go through Texass, then the big 12-2-1-1+2 might have the makings of a legitimate conference again.

Murr

Quote from: rzrbackrob on November 21, 2012, 06:39:35 am
The big 12-2-1-1+2 is backfilling the conference with Big East and Mountain West teams.
Now if Clemson and FSU join the big 12-2-1-1+2 which would of course have to go through Texass, then the big 12-2-1-1+2 might have the makings of a legitimate conference again.

The Big 12 could easily expand with FSU, Clemson, Miami and Lville plus two more depending on who the SEC and Big Ten take.

Murr

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=10556348

An update from Eerlaw11 on the BGN boards; she is one of the most respected and conservative realignment insider on that board.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 21, 2012, 05:58:57 am
Also says FSU and Clemson are making a final push for the SEC.

I don't know that I'm opposed to either of these two, although I doubt they make it in.  I'd rather have UNC/UVA or VT, but if they won't bolt, I'd be willing to take FSU/Clemson.  It doesn't expand the footprint, but I'm not certain that's critical for the SEC at this point.  Our value is in the quality of the product.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

cardinalfan123

Doesn't the Big 10 have some weird rule where they'll only add schools in states bordering states where they already have a member?  I would think that alone would disqualify Georgia Tech unless they also added a North Carolina school.

Lysol

The SEC saved the Big XII for a reason. It's looking much further down the road as college football moves toward a more contemporary system. This future will be shaped by 2 conferences and only 2, the B1G and the SEC. Eventually whether by merger or something else, whatever school joins the big 12 will be part of the SEC group while the PAC and B1G will join forces. This is why new markets our being "claimed" rather than better quality opponents. The 2 major conferences are claiming territories and within the next decade there will be 2 groups that will account for all the major football programs. This is what the SEC and B1G are keeping in mind when it comes down to who to add next and I doubt it ends at 16 schools.

Tim Harris

Quote from: cardinalfan123 on November 21, 2012, 11:36:08 am
Doesn't the Big 10 have some weird rule where they'll only add schools in states bordering states where they already have a member?  I would think that alone would disqualify Georgia Tech unless they also added a North Carolina school.

Yes.  Ga Tech would most likely join now if given the chance.

NWASooner

Rumor around the Google-sphere is that....

1.  ACC will invite Louisville and UConn and tie Grant of Rights to vote, causing everyone to bolt.
2.  UVA and UNC to Big 10.
3.  VTech and NC State to SEC.
4.  FSU, Clemson, GT, and Miami to Big 12.

online-with-swine

Quote from: NWASooner on November 24, 2012, 09:42:45 am

1.  ACC will invite Louisville and UConn and tie Grant of Rights to vote, causing everyone to bolt.

Sounds good to me.  That way everyone wins......except for the ACC.

Murr

You got two major conspiracy theories there:
1) SEC and Big 12 now working together (think Champions Bowl) due to the Baylor lawsuits that made the SEC proceed with A&M and Mizzou super causationly.

2) The eventual separation of 1-A football into the haves and have nots.  Four conferences sending their champions into the semifinals of the playoffs. This option allows for and does not punish conferences for hosting a conference semifinal round.

Quote from: Lysol on November 21, 2012, 04:19:07 pm
The SEC saved the Big XII for a reason. It's looking much further down the road as college football moves toward a more contemporary system. This future will be shaped by 2 conferences and only 2, the B1G and the SEC. Eventually whether by merger or something else, whatever school joins the big 12 will be part of the SEC group while the PAC and B1G will join forces. This is why new markets our being "claimed" rather than better quality opponents. The 2 major conferences are claiming territories and within the next decade there will be 2 groups that will account for all the major football programs. This is what the SEC and B1G are keeping in mind when it comes down to who to add next and I doubt it ends at 16 schools.

Murr

Quote from: NWASooner on November 24, 2012, 09:42:45 am

I agree, I don't think the Big 12 expands beyond 14 due to lack of quality full member additions unless FOX is willing to pay what ESPN won't.

The best options would be, in order, ND, L'ville, BYU, Boise St, Cincy, Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Duke, Wake Forest

Murr

Chatter starting to build about a possible Board of Trustees meeting at UVA.  Wonder if they are pondering a Big Ten reply to their application they supposedly sent.

rzrbackrob

ACC flight might be on hold for awhile until everyone sees the result of ACC lawsuit against Maryland.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-11-27/acc-sues-university-of-maryland-for-quitting-conference

This latest round of expansion has shown how conferences rank

The Haves              backfilling          New CUSA     New Sunbelt       Whatever is left over
B1G/SEC/PAC 12 > big 12-2-1-1+2/ACC > Big East > MWC/CUSA/WAC > Sunbelt/Mid American

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: dooley on November 28, 2012, 11:50:03 am
UNC AD says they aren't going anywhere.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/49001/unc-responds-to-realignment-rumors

That's a selective excerpt by ESPN. There was more:

"All of us in the ACC, including the league office and individual schools, continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment. But again, we are proud members of a great league and are looking forward to many more years of success in the ACC by the Tar Heels and other ACC schools."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/unc-ad-bubba-cunningham-we-want-the-acc-to-be-our-home-for-another-60-years

Murr

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2012-08/firstand10/story/college-football-realignment-maryland-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

Hayes mentions SEC has been talking to Duke and UNC for three years per his source.

To be honest, if starting a network, adding two powerhouse academic and BB schools would greatly improve the inventory during the BB season.  I'm sure spring and early summertime programming will feature lots of baseball

Murr

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2012-08/firstand10/story/college-football-realignment-maryland-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

Hayes mentions SEC has been talking to Duke and UNC for three years per his source.

To be honest, if starting a network, adding two powerhouse academic and BB schools would greatly improve the inventory during the BB season.  I'm sure spring and early summertime programming will feature lots of baseball

my3boneheads

Quote from: d-hog on May 09, 2012, 12:31:52 pm
I don't think Oklahoma moves without Oklahoma State.  That being said I wouldn't mind bringing OU and OSU into the West and Move Alabama and Auburn to the East and bring Missouri back to it's natural location in the West. You would have

West                 East
Arkansas            Florida
LSU                  Georgia
Miss St              Vanderbilt
Missouri             Tennessee
Ole Miss             Kentucky
OU                    USC
OSU                  Alabama
Texas A&M         Auburn

Regardless I think the next move when we see one will bring in 2 to the same division, because you then can move Missouri back to the west in either scenario.  2 into the west would move Auburn and Alabama over or two into the East bumps Missouri out and into the west.  Missouri being placed into the East seems to be a stopgap so that's why I think we'll see an addition sooner rather than later.  Two east teams make sense but I wouldn't throw out the idea that two western teams may actually get the nod.  Especially with the Big 12-2-2+2 (whatever it is now) looking like a test run this fall to see if it survives.  I just can't see them keeping up if we go to the 16 super conferences that people are coming up with.  A couple of Big 12 teams might avoid future disaster and abandon ship in a year or two.

Don't want to see anymore realignment. It is ruining college football. That being said i do like the way you have the divisions divided up.

dooley

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 28, 2012, 10:17:33 pm
That's a selective excerpt by ESPN. There was more:

"All of us in the ACC, including the league office and individual schools, continue to carefully monitor the changes that take place in conference alignment. But again, we are proud members of a great league and are looking forward to many more years of success in the ACC by the Tar Heels and other ACC schools."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/uncnow/unc-ad-bubba-cunningham-we-want-the-acc-to-be-our-home-for-another-60-years

Thanks for the additional information, Hugo, and good job on the emphasis.

dooley

Quote from: Murr on November 29, 2012, 08:32:44 am

FWIW, ESPN talk radio in Florida had the director of the Gator Bowl on and he specifically mentioned UNC and Duke to the SEC as a tandum.  Now, I don't know if he was just speculating or what.  But I hadn't heard much about them as partners for this round of expansion.  So it caught my attention.

dooley

Quote from: Murr on November 29, 2012, 08:35:40 am

Academics appears to be a factor for the SEC.  Beyond to marketing potential, they liked the academics that Mizzou and aTm brought in.  Adding UNC and Duke would only increase that and market and basketball prowess, of course.  I'd like them as a pair.  Common sense, though, says one from Virginia and one from NC - the fastest two growing states in the country - in a grab for the TV sets.