Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is what we return for the 2013 season

Started by Lake City Hog, November 24, 2012, 09:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bcdeputy

After reading this thread I'm feeling a whole lot better about next year...

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: nebhog70 on November 24, 2012, 12:09:54 pm
Returning players from a 4-8 team may not be an asset

True. Don't know until they get on the field.

No one thought much of Broyles' last team, which became Holtz' first (and best) team. Same for Ford's last team, which became Nutt's first (and best) team. Both of these teams were big players in the national picture overnight.

I doubt we can expect that kind of turnaround, but you never know.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

RyeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Balling on November 24, 2012, 06:51:37 pm
Probably the most disconcerting of the list. Peters and Turner showed flashes of brilliance, but lack of linebacker depth has killed us the last few years, and well be hamstrung until we can get more bodies on campus.

Is either of our senior LB's eligible for medical redshirt?

three hog night

Quote from: lchog on November 24, 2012, 09:33:31 am
Got parts of this from another board and other places. We have a very good group returning and with the right coaching should not see a dramatic falloff.  Brandon Allen should start throwing to the receivers on Monday! Brandon Mitchell had better focus on football and leave basketball alone. If one of these guys can fill the void of Wilson at a 75% clip we should be pretty good on offense.                                                   

OFFENSE
QB   Brandon Allen, Brandon Mitchell
RB   Jonathan Williams,  Donavan Roberts, Kody Walker
FB   Kiero Small, Brad Shearin
WR   Julian Horton, Javontee Herndon, Mekale Mekay, D'Arthur Cowan, Demtrius Wilson, Keante Minor, Keon Hatcher, Eric Hawkins
TE   Austin Tate, Alex Voelzke, Demetrius Dean, Brett Weir 
OT   David Hurd, Chris Stringer, Brey Cook   
OG   Luke Charpentier, Alvin Bailey
C   Travis Swanson, Mitch Smothers
Backups on the Offensive Line: Ollison, Dannenhauer, Beck, Boyd and Ward

Commits that could play: Hunter Henry TE, Jonathan McClure, Mitchell Bell OL

DEFENSE
DE   Trey Flowers, Austin Flynn, Chris Smith, Tiawan Johnson, Deatrich Wise, JaMichael Winston, Jeremy Sprinkle, Brandon Lewis, Darrell Kelly-Thomas.     
NT   Bryan Jones, Demarcus Hodge
DT   Robert Thomas, Horace Arkadie, Darius Philon
LB   Otha Peters, Braylan Mitchell, A.J. Turner, Jarrett Lake
S   Eric Bennett, Alan Turner, Rohan Gaines, Alan Turner
CB   Tevin Mitchell, Will Hines, Davyon McKinney, Defonta Lowe, Kelvin Fischer, JrRay Buchanan Jr., Jared Collins

Commits that could play: Myke Tavarres LB, Carroll Washington CB

K   Zach Hocker
PR   Nate Holmes, Keante Minor
KR   D'Arthur Cowan

We have too many DE's.   Can some be moved elsewhere?   Our most critical need is mid-term JUCO signees to stabilize the LB's and Oline.  We need a coach that can sign mid-term JUCO's in a few weeks.   
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

latrops

Quote from: nebhog70 on November 24, 2012, 12:09:54 pm
Returning players from a 4-8 team may not be an asset

Ole Miss had a 4 game improvement following a coaching change....even in the big bad SEC West.  Freeze is a good coach, but I'm hoping we do even better.

rlreev01

Quote from: jcul28 on November 24, 2012, 09:40:11 am
Is Allen progresses...thats an 8 win team. Which is sad losing all we are losing. Makes you realize how baf this season really went.

Please tell me the 8 wins that we will have next year:
ULL- Win
Stamford- Win
Southern Miss- Win
@ Rutgers- ?
TAMU- Loss
@Fla- Loss
South Caro- Loss
@ Alabama- Loss
Auburn- ?
@ Ole Miss- Loss
MSU- ?
@ LSU- Loss

If we win all the question mark games then we are going to have to win two games we are not expected to win, being SC and @ Ole Miss.  * wins is a big stretch.  Let's look for six or seven and a bowl.  Lot's of recruiting to do to get any better.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: RyeHogFan on November 24, 2012, 10:25:09 pm
Is either of our senior LB's eligible for medical redshirt?

Not to my knowledge, since both played in several games.  Highsmith wasn't injured until the Auburn game (the 6th of the year) and Wright played up through the Texas A&M game.

razback

I think Ark will regret not playing Brandon Allen this season when they had the opportunity.  Sure, he played the 'Bama game, but it was a miserable day, against a far superior opponent.  There were plenty of opportunities to play him.  And why they didn't, we'll never know. 

hawgfan4life

With that list of returnees, fans should have little doubt we are capable of being as successful next season as we were this season with not much drop-off.

Lake City Hog

Rutgers----------17 seniors on roster
Texas A&M-------18 seniors on roster + at Home
South Carolina---24 seniors on roster + at Home
Miss State--------19 seniors on roster + at Home
Ole Miss---------- with an average coach we beat them this season!
Auburn-----------basically a team in shambles
LSU--------------with an average coach we win Friday, odds are good with LSU

As I said in the OP, with a good coach 8 or 9 wins is very doable!!!

VBMark

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 24, 2012, 09:59:55 pm
The other thing people are forgetting that whoever we bring in will have their own system and terminology.  Sometimes it takes a few games or even a season to adapt.  Both offense and defense.
^^^^THIS^^^^
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

fister

Quote from: Holy City Hog on November 24, 2012, 01:01:18 pm

Turnovers + pre-snap penalties + lack of in-game adjustments = difference between 4-8 & 8-4.
Saw a chart today that shows turnovers per snap, Arkansas was at 1 turnover ever 26 snaps. Only three teams were worse.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/contact/1800-chart-all-120-team-turnovers-per-snap.html

That is the kind of thing that good coaching can fix and make a huge impact.

choicesthops

Good analysis but get ready for a down year. Regardless if we get Gruden or God himself.

Tim Harris

Quote from: rlreev01 on November 25, 2012, 09:30:04 am
Please tell me the 8 wins that we will have next year:
ULL- Win
Stamford- Win
Southern Miss- Win
@ Rutgers- ?
TAMU- Loss
@Fla- Loss
South Caro- Loss
@ Alabama- Loss
Auburn- ?
@ Ole Miss- Loss
MSU- ?
@ LSU- Loss

If we win all the question mark games then we are going to have to win two games we are not expected to win, being SC and @ Ole Miss.  * wins is a big stretch.  Let's look for six or seven and a bowl.  Lot's of recruiting to do to get any better.

Let me start out by saying that I know what happened this year but that should not be normal.

We should win all 4 non conference games. 
Traditionally both Mississippi schools are middle of the pack and are beatable.
Aubrn is not good and we should win that one.

That is 7 wins with tough games against Bama, SC, LSU, A&M, and FL.

Sure we could go 3-9 but we also could go 7-5/8-4.

Sas Nakra

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 24, 2012, 11:24:07 am
Very thin on the Dline interior losing Davis and Jared Green.  Also LB thin but at least Turner and peters got a lot of playing time.  Juco defensive help needed for sure.
Same as it ever was. When have the Hogs been deep on D-line or at LB?

As for depth overall, I don't see it anywhere other than possibly at DE and WR. And, not sure about more than 2 or 3 of the receivers.

RB scares me a lot. If Williams goes down, who takes over? Same at QB. And that is starting with an unknown quantity in Allen.

On the other hand, the Hogs are always thin. With a rejuvenated attitude and better coaching that the players have some decent level of confidence in, this team will win at least 6 or 7 games next year.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?

Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.

razorson

November 26, 2012, 10:29:15 am #65 Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:57:55 am by razorson
 I believe Brad Shearin is no longer on the team due to a concussion. Heard this from a family member. :razorback:

The_Iceman

Quote from: three hog night on November 25, 2012, 08:57:27 am
We have too many DE's.   Can some be moved elsewhere?   Our most critical need is mid-term JUCO signees to stabilize the LB's and Oline.  We need a coach that can sign mid-term JUCO's in a few weeks.   

Example of how Bobby was bad at balancing his recruiting classes. Loaded at WR and DE, but weak and thin at other positions.

The_Iceman

Here is how I see it:

QB: probably Allen. Unproven, will make mistakes, won't be as good as Wilson in first year.
RB: losing Dennis will be huge, and probably Davis. Williams and others are unproven as every down backs.
WR: more unproven players. Talent and potential there, but is there a Cobi/Adams/Wright playmaker type?
TE: if we keep Henry, he will be very talented, but again...unproven.
O-Line: hopefully will be better. They will have experience.
D-Line: should be the strength of the team. Lots of talented redshirts, Smith/Flynn/Jones/Thomas/Flowers all back.
LB: should be another strength of the team. Turner and Peters another year older. Need to find a solid 3rd linebacker/hybrid option. But otherwise should be good there.
Sec: Should be good as well. Not top of the SEC good, but with Mitchel back and all the freshmen that player another year older, might be a good group.

So to me, it looks like our defense should be the strength of the team next year. The offense is summed up in one word = Unproven. With the right coaching, this could be a decent team, but nothing great.

For sure Losses: Alabama, LSU, Texas a&m, Florida
For sure Wins: ULL, Samford, S.Miss, Auburn
Toss Ups: OM, MSt., USCe, Rutgers.

So at worse, it is another 4-8 year.
At best, it is a 8-4 year.
Realistically, a good year would be 6-6 and go to a lower bowl.