Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zach Jackson article

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, January 29, 2015, 06:22:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Jackson brings electricity, maturity to Hogs.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/jan/29/jackson-brings-electricity-maturity-hogs/?sports-college

He's got a lot of bullets," Jorn said. "There is no question he has the stuff. His change dives like a splitter."

lowandaway

Nice article.  Thanks for sharing.

Amityvillehogger

Really hoping Jackson has an All American type year. We need him!
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 30, 2015, 02:28:44 pm
Really hoping Jackson has an All American type year. We need him!

I live real close to Berryhill and followed Zach before he committed to the hogs.  Needless to say I am a big fan.  He is capable of being a first round draft choice but he needs to show a lot of consistent performance to go with a live arm, good size and velocity.  In short he needs to hit the strike zone all this year and next.  If he does that he will be a dynamite pitcher for us.  Both he and Killian are capable of fifteen wins this season.  But they are also capable of what they did last year.  These two young men have to hit their stride in order for us to have a banner year.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

Even more importantly , he needs to eat some innings. I'm like DVH right now in that I don't see a guy who can go 7,8, or even 9 innings if he needs to.

ucahogfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 30, 2015, 05:38:42 pm
Even more importantly , he needs to eat some innings. I'm like DVH right now in that I don't see a guy who can go 7,8, or even 9 innings if he needs to.
You're just referencing Jackson right?  I'm in the same boat.  His control is just so shaky that I see him as about a 6 inning max guy because he will throw a lot of pitches.

I got to thinking and I think an excellent comp for Jackson is Tyler Beede.  Both guys have electric first round stuff from an ideal frame, but control comes and goes.  When the control is on, Jackson and Beede have top 5 overall stuff.  It is why Beede was a 1st round pick last year and why I think Jackson will be a 1st round pick next year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 30, 2015, 04:18:34 pm
I live real close to Berryhill and followed Zach before he committed to the hogs.  Needless to say I am a big fan.  He is capable of being a first round draft choice but he needs to show a lot of consistent performance to go with a live arm, good size and velocity.  In short he needs to hit the strike zone all this year and next.  If he does that he will be a dynamite pitcher for us.  Both he and Killian are capable of fifteen wins this season.  But they are also capable of what they did last year.  These two young men have to hit their stride in order for us to have a banner year.
You do realize that 15 wins is nearly impossible in college baseball, right?  That would set a school record by 2 wins.  I think he is capable of winning 10-11 games this year if he proves he can give us 6-7 IP every time out, but 15 wins is out of the question.

I think he is a 1st round pick next year unless he goes all Rick Vaughn before he got glasses.  Someone who is blessed with 3 pitches like he has don't come around too often and teams will draft those players early.  Heck, Stanek only has 2 excellent pitches and was talked about being a top 10 draft pick and was still a 1st round pick.

Capable of what they did last year?  Killian had a 2.30 ERA and that included a horrible outing against South Alabama in his first start while Jackson had a 2.53 ERA as a freshman pitching on the weekends against SEC competition.  What do you expect from them?  While I expect them to be better this year, I don't know how that will reflect in their ERA with the new ball and what should be more offense.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 09:58:33 pm
You do realize that 15 wins is nearly impossible in college baseball, right?  That would set a school record by 2 wins.  I think he is capable of winning 10-11 games this year if he proves he can give us 6-7 IP every time out, but 15 wins is out of the question.

I think he is a 1st round pick next year unless he goes all Rick Vaughn before he got glasses.  Someone who is blessed with 3 pitches like he has don't come around too often and teams will draft those players early.  Heck, Stanek only has 2 excellent pitches and was talked about being a top 10 draft pick and was still a 1st round pick.

Capable of what they did last year?  Killian had a 2.30 ERA and that included a horrible outing against South Alabama in his first start while Jackson had a 2.53 ERA as a freshman pitching on the weekends against SEC competition.  What do you expect from them?  While I expect them to be better this year, I don't know how that will reflect in their ERA with the new ball and what should be more offense.

it is close to impossible, yes, but not so.  Killian figured in 13 decisions last year right?  He was 4-9.  He started in some he didnt get the decision one way or another as well.  So, Fifteen is, while highly unlikely, possible none the less.  I can remember, I think it was last year or the year before (and I dont remember if it was LSU or South Carolina) a pitcher having fifteen wins.  So, I could have dropped that to a dozen and perhaps should have to have made my point, but you already agreed with my basic tenet in your post before of what Zach is capable of.  Will he do it?  Hope so.  I will be happy with a dozen, though, and I bet you would be too, especially if the twelfth was the winning game of the college world series?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

the actual honest to goodness facts are, without hyperbole, we could greatly use for so many reasons both Killian and Jackson to be double digit winners.  It provides the leadership that the younger pitchers would need, it allows them to develop, they are veterans, and they have the proven stuff.  Killian just needs better run support behind him, and Jackson needs to lock into the strike zone better.  You can't chew up innings if you are giving too many free passes.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 09:48:04 pm
You're just referencing Jackson right?   I'm in the same boat.  His control is just so shaky that I see him as about a 6 inning max guy because he will throw a lot of pitches.

I got to thinking and I think an excellent comp for Jackson is Tyler Beede.  Both guys have electric first round stuff from an ideal frame, but control comes and goes.  When the control is on, Jackson and Beede have top 5 overall stuff.  It is why Beede was a 1st round pick last year and why I think Jackson will be a 1st round pick next year.
I think DVH was talking about both Jackson and Taccolini. Rubber arms that can bounce back and pitch twice over the weekend, rather than stretching them to far in one game. We're going to piece this thing together for a while, it looks like. Same thing with McKinney, at least at the beginning. And, we can't count on Killian going 8 or 9 innings as they nurse him back to full go.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 09:58:33 pm

I don't know if it was different for them twenty years ago (different rules on amt of games, etc.) or if Florida State scheduled an insane amount of games per starter or what the deal was but a little over twenty years ago they had a kid win 20 games, btw.  I think the was like 20-3 or 20-4, something like that.  Thats the NCAA division one record for wins (20), if no one has broken it that I am not aware of.

dbbb

The school record for starts in a season is 20.

That was a CWS year, so a regional start, super regionsl start and 2 CWS starts

Very difficult to win 15 or more games.

Sueie

If I am Killian I am not really worried about how many wins I get (As long as the team wins).  Being my Junior year I am saving my arm until June. $$$$$ is more important than stats.