Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC preview (D1 baseball)

Started by bighog2255, January 26, 2015, 11:40:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott7703

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 01:24:34 pm
Be careful looking at fielding % as a barometer of a player's defensive ability. Wernes is very good over there. Made plays last year that not many can make. I think he plays quite a bit, despite his offensive limitations

That may be it. May be looking at the wrong numbers to accurately portray his defensive abilities. You think he plays and hits around .200 again this year? We are supposed to be loaded with better offensive players.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 27, 2015, 10:59:06 pm
Which is why from uca to kevin, from me to sssst, from arkansas to broylednutts, from dotnet to Baseball hog we arent saying that much different.  We are all optimistic.  We all know what the staff could be capable of, we all know what our veterans and the newcomers could be capable of.  But we play in a difficult conference and besides that we have a fairly high difficulty of schedule.  We all hope our team jells quickly, stays injury free, matures and makes the most of their opportunities.  Dont we? 

Some of us are just saying temper your expectations, particularly early, more than the rest of you are saying.

Very well said.

dotnet

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 28, 2015, 02:21:27 pm
Very well said.

I agree.  One of the reasons I'm being so insistent on the fact that there are holes or questions is that I am so optimistic. 

I really do think: McAfee, AB, Spoon(ish), Serrano, Bonfield, and Eagan can all hit 300 - which would be night and day from having 6 250 hitters last year.

On top of that, I really do think Arkansas can and will be a top 5 pitching team in the conference again with McKinney, Pate, Jackson, Teague, and Taccolini stepping up.

Which means Omaha sleeper is a fair title.  But almost all of that is based on hopeful - even if realistic - projection. 

Baseball Hog

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 28, 2015, 11:52:34 am
Yes. Everyone gets it except that poster.

What you don't seem to grasp is that these "holes" aren't necessarily a bad thing. 

For example: one question mark we have is Sunday starter.  The reason that is a question mark is the sheer amount of talent that we have.  Take away 5 guys and replace them with lesser players then all of a sudden we have one less thing to figure out.

Question marks aren't always bad.  Competition breeds success.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Baseball Hog on January 28, 2015, 03:52:18 pm
What you don't seem to grasp is that these "holes" aren't necessarily a bad thing. 

For example: one question mark we have is Sunday starter.  The reason that is a question mark is the sheer amount of talent that we have.  Take away 5 guys and replace them with lesser players then all of a sudden we have one less thing to figure out.

Question marks aren't always bad.  Competition breeds success.

??????????????????????????

What?  And that reasoning makes sense to you?

I thought the reason we have a question at both saturday and sunday is that those two proven starters are gone from last year.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Sueie

Have ANY of you attended any of the practices?  I think they are scrimmaging this Friday and Saturday.  Maybe you need to attend.  8)

Sueie

The BIG holes on the team this year will be pitching.  We have TWO left handed pitchers and both are freshmen.  This is what I think will hurt us in the conference game weekends.  ESPECIALLY if we have to use one or both of them during mid week games.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 28, 2015, 05:35:09 pm
??????????????????????????

What?  And that reasoning makes sense to you?

I thought the reason we have a question at both saturday and sunday is that those two proven starters are gone from last year.
You're saying you'd rather have a mediocre pitcher slotted in as a starter since we have no one else than an unknown because we have several good guys that will compete for the spot.

That's silly.

flippinhogmana

My friend I am getting the impression you would enjoy arguing with a sign post.  We didnt have mediocre saturday and sunday starters last season.  Therefore losing them is not the hypothetical that obstensively you pose....What is silly is......
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB    ·  3h 3 hours ago   
"Bobby Wernes can play anywhere in the infield. He was probably the best defensive third baseman in the SEC last year." - DVH

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

January 28, 2015, 10:57:23 pm #60 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:20:02 am by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: dotnet on January 28, 2015, 11:19:28 am
we have some stuff to figure out.  we have more stuff to figure out than other teams ranked higher.  easy enough?
^^^This.
And, like some of us have said, we are going to see the older guys start games early on (DVH does this often) and then the new guys will have their chance to work themselves into a starting position as the season goes on. Keep in mind though, that these freshmen have to be solid at defense first. If they are solid defensively and have the better bat, they will play. We'll have a pretty good idea who is going to carry us through conference play around the 3rd week or so.

Look for newcomers and Wilkerson to DH early.

bighog2255

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 28, 2015, 07:25:20 pm
My friend I am getting the impression you would enjoy arguing with a sign post.  We didnt have mediocre saturday and sunday starters last season.  Therefore losing them is not the hypothetical that obstensively you pose....What is silly is......

+1

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on January 28, 2015, 03:49:08 pm
I agree.  One of the reasons I'm being so insistent on the fact that there are holes or questions is that I am so optimistic. 

I really do think: McAfee, AB, Spoon(ish), Serrano, Bonfield, and Eagan can all hit 300 - which would be night and day from having 6 250 hitters last year.

On top of that, I really do think Arkansas can and will be a top 5 pitching team in the conference again with McKinney, Pate, Jackson, Teague, and Taccolini stepping up.

Which means Omaha sleeper is a fair title.  But almost all of that is based on hopeful - even if realistic - projection.
Fully agree about the offense.  I feel like Bernal could be a .280-.290 hitter this year as well if he starts full time.  While it is optimistic, I think it is very realistic as well.

Playing at Baum and having coach Jorn almost assures that we will be a top 5 pitching staff in the SEC again.  We had 7 pitchers drafted off the 2013 team and again turned in a top 10 pitching staff nationally in 2014.

I just feel like that this team has all the makings of a DVH Omaha team.  Strong senior leadership in the lineup with Serrano, McAfee, and Spoon and a lot of young talent.  I think Omaha sleeper is a perfect description of this team right now.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on January 28, 2015, 06:06:52 pm
The BIG holes on the team this year will be pitching.  We have TWO left handed pitchers and both are freshmen.  This is what I think will hurt us in the conference game weekends.  ESPECIALLY if we have to use one or both of them during mid week games.
But is having a LHP really that important?  While I think DVH wants Pate and Fant to step up in big roles this year, he did say we have some RHPs who have nasty changeups which helps nullify the lack of LHPs.  Keaton McKinney almost might be better against LHHs because he changeup is so nasty and he can throw it in any count.  While his velo was very shaky in the fall coming back from injury, he is a guy who can sit in the low to mid 90s this spring and throw that changeup around 80 that just falls off the table at the plate.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 10:07:17 pm
But is having a LHP really that important?  While I think DVH wants Pate and Fant to step up in big roles this year, he did say we have some RHPs who have nasty changeups which helps nullify the lack of LHPs.  Keaton McKinney almost might be better against LHHs because he changeup is so nasty and he can throw it in any count.  While his velo was very shaky in the fall coming back from injury, he is a guy who can sit in the low to mid 90s this spring and throw that changeup around 80 that just falls off the table at the plate.

Well, technically no - unless you're a coach who likes to play match ups and you don't have a lefty you can counter with.

I will say this - a soft throwing junk ball lefty has always been Razorback Baseball Kryptonite - and they are nice to have around when you can.

ucahogfan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 30, 2015, 10:10:45 pm
Well, technically no - unless you're a coach who likes to play match ups and you don't have a lefty you can counter with.

I will say this - a soft throwing junk ball lefty has always been Razorback Baseball Kryptonite - and they are nice to have around when you can.
But DVH has never really be a matchup guy for the most part.  He doesn't really recruit the pitcher who can only face LHHs or only face RHHs because I think he believes it is a waste of a roster spot.

I agree that those junk ball LHPs drive us crazy, but we never seem to recruit them.  The 3 LHPs we signed last year in Hentges, Pate, and Fant all bring some serious heat and there were reports that all of them hit 94 at some point during their HS career.

dotnet

During the last Omaha run there were two leftys that were used a lot. I am drawing a blank but they were wright and the guy who got hurt.

DVH matched up when he could..

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 10:04:51 pm
Fully agree about the offense.  I feel like Bernal could be a .280-.290 hitter this year as well if he starts full time.  While it is optimistic, I think it is very realistic as well.

Playing at Baum and having coach Jorn almost assures that we will be a top 5 pitching staff in the SEC again.  We had 7 pitchers drafted off the 2013 team and again turned in a top 10 pitching staff nationally in 2014.

I just feel like that this team has all the makings of a DVH Omaha team.  Strong senior leadership in the lineup with Serrano, McAfee, and Spoon and a lot of young talent.  I think Omaha sleeper is a perfect description of this team right now.

Agreed but Killian is yet to be able to crank it up. It will be all of the "pre-season" non conference games before he reaches his stride due to the late start and caution with him.  He is our most proven arm.

Our most proven hitter in my opinion or at least best one at the end of last year, Eagin is down for a bit as well.  Also not good, it generally sets a player back if they lose valuable playing time preseason and at the start of a season.  His injury will do watching.

Now Bernal is down for several game with a knee.  We have enough depth perhaps to weather all three of these without the slightest hiccup, but that is yet to be seen.

Sssss!

What holes do we have? In baseball last time I check pitching and defense wins Championships.
Jackson & Taccolini are unproven and they struggle last year.
Killian our ace has arm problems
Our young talented freshmans can't play defense you heard what DVH said about Bomfield . He really struggle with the glove so he's our DH.
Add our injured players to the list.

What holes do we have ?

Kevin

Quote from: Sssss! on February 03, 2015, 12:21:54 pm
What holes do we have? In baseball last time I check pitching and defense wins Championships.
Jackson & Taccolini are unproven and they struggle last year.
Killian our ace has arm problems
Our young talented freshmans can't play defense you heard what DVH said about Bomfield . He really struggle with the glove so he's our DH.
Add our injured players to the list.

What holes do we have ?

i just hope we can finish at .500 this year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sssss!

Out of our first 16 games what do you think our record will be?

hillbilly

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 30, 2015, 10:04:51 pm
Strong senior leadership in the lineup with Serrano, McAfee, and Spoon and a lot of young talent. 
I get what you are saying. But you do realize that none of the guys you just mentioned are seniors, right?

Sssss!

Yes!:))) this team will be really good next season !

flippinhogmana

Quote from: dotnet on January 31, 2015, 06:54:48 am
During the last Omaha run there were two leftys that were used a lot. I am drawing a blank but they were wright and the guy who got hurt.

DVH matched up when he could..

Are you thinking about Lynch?  If memory serves, he went down the first time with migraines in that stretch drive and it hurt us.  Was he a lefty?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Kevin on February 03, 2015, 12:24:49 pm
i just hope we can finish at .500 this year

;) a little tonque in cheek my friend? hehe?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Sssss! on February 03, 2015, 12:46:21 pm
Yes!:))) this team will be really good next season !

Dont over do it my friend.  While I am cautious, and have several posts to that effect, I think we will be good this season, especially by the end of the conference schedule.  In answer to your question about the first games, we win at least three fourths of them.  My caution was about not getting into a panic if we lose a few early.  We need to give DVH time to experiment and find the chemistry of this team.  In the end, if our arms come out right, we will be better than okay.  That is the if, its always about pitching. 

Baseball Hog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 03, 2015, 03:30:35 pm
My caution was about not getting into a panic if we lose a few early.

Good luck with that.  By loss #2 we'll have somebody wanting DVH's head on a spike.

Kevin

Quote from: Baseball Hog on February 04, 2015, 09:50:17 am
Good luck with that.  By loss #2 we'll have somebody wanting DVH's head on a spike.

why wait?  :)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 26, 2015, 09:22:46 pm
Really?  PG has no idea what they are doing?  I fully agree with PG's assessment of our team.  While a lot of them are unproven, it is a very deep team.  Where are the obvious holes for the 2015 Hogs?
I would say pitching is a big hole. Sure we can throw some names out but we don't have a lot of innings outside of Killian to show. I think our middle infield will be a big question mark mainly due to McAfee staying healthy which he has rarely done. Our catching situation while we think we have a solid one or two, it hasn't been proven yet. Lastly I think we are solid in the OF but not A+ defensively. Do we have the guys, sure, but we have to prove. Also do we have the offense to put up runs if our pitching isn't what it's been in years past. Plenty of "holes" and questions.