Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DVH interviews 1/24/15

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, January 25, 2015, 03:47:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

January 25, 2015, 03:47:05 pm Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:13:07 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/van-horn-addresses-questions-practice-begins

"I still think the pitching staff is something that will be evaluated probably week to week throughout the season so we can figure out who we're going to start and who we're going to leave in that bullpen," Van Horn said. "But overall I think it's a pretty talented group and kind of a hungry group and they're ready to go."

Much like the pitching staff, the catching role may be by committee, though junior college transfer Tucker Pennell is most ready."I mean, we brought Tucker Pennell in here to possibly start and play all of the time," Van Horn said. "We didn't think Rodriguez was going to get to school and he got to school and he won't be playing for us this year. Pennell is a very good catch-and-throw guy. In one fall scrimmage he threw out five out of five runners, so he's fine back there."Freshmen Carson Shaddy, Chad Spanberger and sophomore Alex Gosser may also rotate.

flippinhogmana

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

DVH: We're working two full defensive sets at the same time in practice, with one group inside and one on the outside field. We're doubled up with good players at every position.

Waldron_Hog

No bonfires mention in the of. Also, kinda concerned that Bernal and wernes sounded like the starters on the left side of the inf. Was hoping for some more pop from at least one of those positions.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on January 25, 2015, 06:41:13 pm
No bonfires mention in the of. Also, kinda concerned that Bernal and wernes sounded like the starters on the left side of the inf. Was hoping for some more pop from at least one of those positions.
Yep, it sure read that way, but I haven't heard DVH say that any of the infield has been locked down. Must be the writers thoughts?

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 25, 2015, 07:09:31 pm
Yep, it sure read that way, but I haven't heard DVH say that any of the infield has been locked down. Must be the writers thoughts?
Yeah, that is the opinion of the author.  I'm pretty sure DVH has said in the fall that McAfee will more than likely be the starting SS while Eagan has locked down 1B enough to make Wiggins take ground balls at 3B.  I think Bernal is probably the favorite to open the season at 2B IMO while Nomura/Wernes/Wiggins will split time at 3B early on.

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on January 25, 2015, 06:41:13 pm
Bonfield will be in the lineup to open the season.  I think most of the national experts peg him as the DH for the majority of the season, but I think we need to start him in LF while Serrano fills in at DH because I think Bonfield is probably the better defender.  McAfee will definitely provide more pop at SS.  He can be a .320+ hitter if he stays healthy (which is a big if).  Wiggins and Nomura are big upgrades offensively over Wernes, but are they solid enough defensively?  Maybe the new indoor facility has allowed the guys to get enough defensive work to play at 3B.  DVH did say that this is the most advanced defensively he has seen the team in his time here.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 25, 2015, 03:47:05 pm
http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/van-horn-addresses-questions-practice-begins

"I still think the pitching staff is something that will be evaluated probably week to week throughout the season so we can figure out who we're going to start and who we're going to leave in that bullpen," Van Horn said. "But overall I think it's a pretty talented group and kind of a hungry group and they're ready to go."

Much like the pitching staff, the catching role may be by committee, though junior college transfer Tucker Pennell is most ready."I mean, we brought Tucker Pennell in here to possibly start and play all of the time," Van Horn said. "We didn't think Rodriguez was going to get to school and he got to school and he won't be playing for us this year. Pennell is a very good catch-and-throw guy. In one fall scrimmage he threw out five out of five runners, so he's fine back there."Freshmen Carson Shaddy, Chad Spanberger and sophomore Alex Gosser may also rotate.
Two very telling statements IMO.  DVH is much more concerned about the pitching staff this year compared to the offense.  That should tell you just how confident DVH is about this offense.  With Eagan, McAfee, Serrano, Benintendi, and Spoon back and adding hitters like Bonfield, Nomura, Spanberger, and Wiggins, this lineup is much, much deeper compared to past years.

Our pitching staff is extremely talented, but outside of Killian and Stone, the roles are up for grabs.  I think the next four in that group are Jackson, Taco, Teague, and McKinney just like DVH has mentioned.  All four guys have top five round talent along with Killian.  I think it would be best if Taco and Teague lock down the other two weekend starting spots.  That allows Jackson to be in the pen as a weapon while it doesn't put too much pressure on McKinney to produce as a freshman if he is not ready.

The statement about Pennell is shocking.  DVH signed him last year because he was good enough to start even with Rodriguez signed and Bax coming back.  With DVH praising him defensively, that tells me that DVH values defense out of a C much more than a well rounded catcher and offense out of the C is just a bonus.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

With everybody getting plenty of defensive practice time, DVH should feel more comfortable about making changes throughout the year if someone is not producing with the bat.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 25, 2015, 08:39:59 pm
With everybody getting plenty of defensive practice time, DVH should feel more comfortable about making changes throughout the year if someone is not producing with the bat.
Yep, DVH has mentioned how the new indoor facility allows guys to basically double the amount of practice they get in the same amount of time.  Instead of just having players hitting on the field like in years past, he can have a group hitting on the field while another group taking ground balls in the indoor facility or vice versa.

Sssss!

Anybody knows if Rodriguez is practicing with the team?

Flatline

Quote from: Sssss! on January 25, 2015, 10:27:36 pm

Is he being red shirted because of the arrest. Kid suppose to be an amazing talent.

Sssss!

The statement about Pennell is shocking.  DVH signed him last year because he was good enough to start even with Rodriguez signed and Bax coming back.

Pennell is a good catcher is he better than Rodriguez and Bax let's hope. Bax left will Rodriguez stay ? Time will tell.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sssss! on January 25, 2015, 10:27:36 pm
As far as I know he is.  Since he is on scholly, he will be on the 35 man roster and will be allowed to practice with the team.

Quote from: Flatline on January 26, 2015, 01:39:55 am
Is he being red shirted because of the arrest. Kid suppose to be an amazing talent.
Highly doubt he would be suspended for a whole year for the arrest.  In the past, that kind of arrest would have been around a 5 game suspension with DVH.  The reason for the year-long suspension has never been confirmed by DVH.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sssss! on January 26, 2015, 02:43:53 am
The statement about Pennell is shocking.  DVH signed him last year because he was good enough to start even with Rodriguez signed and Bax coming back.

Pennell is a good catcher is he better than Rodriguez and Bax let's hope. Bax left will Rodriguez stay ? Time will tell.
DVH thought Rodriguez wouldn't step on campus when he signed Pennell, but did know he would have Bax and Gosser back.  Like I said in the post where I referenced this, DVH values strong defense at the C position and any offense is a bonus.

Pennell is a junior so he could be drafted this summer.  Rodriguez will stay and start in 2016 as a RS Freshman with 2 years of collegiate summer ball under his belt.  I think we would have seen Pennell and Rodriguez split time at C this year before the suspension.  One would have eventually won the spot, but early in the year, it would have been a platoon situation IMO.

dotnet

I don't think DVH sounded worried about the pitching - just that it was a huge open item that was not nailed down. Which makes me feel better.  Its one thing to have no idea of the roles, its another to not know if you have enough arms

As far as offense... its hard to have a good feel until you see guys like Bonfield, Wiggins, etc. in games.  Sometimes even great players can have an adjustment period.

Also, a lot of the excitement is built on a few assumptions

-McAfee playing healthy for a whole season
-Serrano and Spoon making improvements for their senior year
-Juco's being good juco's like LSU always has and not like Wernes was last year
-AB & Eagan making improvements their sophmore year and not going through a sophmore slump

Even if I try and play devil's advocate, I think these are all reasonable assumptions.  But we have to see how many of them actually work out

Sssss!

I agree with you on Pennell & Rodriguez splitting time until one of them wins the C possion. After what DVH said about Pennell he had the spot from the get go. If Pennell comes back Rodriguez won't be here next year. Luke Bonfield will be drafted after he's sophomore year and their goes our top recruiting class .

dotnet

Quote from: Sssss! on January 26, 2015, 12:51:03 pm
I agree with you on Pennell & Rodriguez splitting time until one of them wins the C possion. After what DVH said about Pennell he had the spot from the get go. If Pennell comes back Rodriguez won't be here next year. Luke Bonfield will be drafted after he's sophomore year and their goes our top recruiting class .

So... you don't get a top recruiting class because of 2 or 3 players. 

If Rodriguez puts in work for the next year, including during the summers, then I would be shocked if he would be run off by Pennell being here.  Pennell with either be drafted because he has a really good season or he won't be putting that much fear into Rodriguez. 

If Bonfield leaves a year early, I am not sure why that is so terrible?  You got two good years out of a great (if he goes then) player and got to maximize last year's good to great pitching class. 

Even if that happens, you still have Wiggins, Benninghoff, Spangburgher (sp?), McKinney, Patton, etc.  Granted, I'm sure not all of those guys pan out... but there isn't any reason to be down on this class just yet.

Sssss!

Don't get me wrong I like this group of kids and I wish them all the best ! Saying this Bonfield & Rodriguez where the only two out of the group the head a shot in starting on this team.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on January 26, 2015, 09:06:34 am
I don't think DVH sounded worried about the pitching - just that it was a huge open item that was not nailed down. Which makes me feel better.  Its one thing to have no idea of the roles, its another to not know if you have enough arms

As far as offense... its hard to have a good feel until you see guys like Bonfield, Wiggins, etc. in games.  Sometimes even great players can have an adjustment period.

Also, a lot of the excitement is built on a few assumptions

-McAfee playing healthy for a whole season
-Serrano and Spoon making improvements for their senior year
-Juco's being good juco's like LSU always has and not like Wernes was last year
-AB & Eagan making improvements their sophmore year and not going through a sophmore slump

Even if I try and play devil's advocate, I think these are all reasonable assumptions.  But we have to see how many of them actually work out
Yeah, the talent on the pitching staff is there.  We have about 6 guys who will compete for innings on the weekend IMO with Killian, Stone, Jackson, Taco, Teague, and McKinney.  Killian and Stone are the only two who we truly know what their roles will be.

The offense returns plenty of experienced talent, but I fully agree that it won't be the best it can be if Bonfield, Wiggins, Spanberger, and other newcomers struggle against college pitching.  I feel good about Bonfield transitioning well because he did get about 50 ABs in a summer league and flat out raked.  People are praising Vandy FR 3B Will Toffey for his performance in a full summer in the same league Bonfield played 15% of the season in and Toffey only hit 1 more HR.

Those are my assumptions as well.  They are very reasonable as well.  Nothing too outlandish like Bobby Wernes hitting .300 and slugging .500.  McAfee is the key IMO.  He will bring steady play every single day in the field and at the plate.  One of the more well rounded SSs DVH has had at Arkansas.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sssss! on January 26, 2015, 03:07:15 pm
Don't get me wrong I like this group of kids and I wish them all the best ! Saying this Bonfield & Rodriguez where the only two out of the group the head a shot in starting on this team.
So Wiggins, Spanberger, McKinney, Patten, Fant, Pate, and Benninghoff were all going to ride the pine this year?

Hogpkins

Quote from: Sssss! on January 26, 2015, 02:43:53 am

DVH made clear in that same answer during the PC that Rodriguez was the only catcher we lost for the year. He said the other player (Bax) was a 1B/DH. He said, people keep saying we lost 2 catcher. No we didn't.

Sssss!

We are talking about starting right of the bat. McKenney will get plenty of innings in won't surprise me if he end up as our Sunday starter .