Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opening day line up

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, January 17, 2015, 03:31:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thoughts on the opening game starting batting order?

Still working on mine, looking something like this.

1) Benintendi
2) Serrano
3) Eagan
4) Bonfield
5) McAfee
6) Spoon
7) Wernes
8 ) Pennell
9) Nomura

May move Nomura or McAfee up to 2nd and Serrano down in the order. McAfee may surprise with some power, for now he's 5th. Could see Nomura leading off.

ucahogfan

Well, things could change over the next month or so, but right now, mine would look like this:

1.  Benintendi - CF
2.  Serrano - DH
3.  Eagan - 1B
4.  Bonfield - LF
5.  Spoon - RF
6.  McAfee - SS
7.  Bernal - 3B
8.  Pennell - C
9.  Nomura - 2B

Killian on the mound.

That is a fun lineup to look at.  I think we will see several others start on opening weekend like Wernes, Spanberger, and Wiggins, but I think that will be the opening day lineup DVH will run out.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 17, 2015, 03:57:03 pm
Well, things could change over the next month or so, but right now, mine would look like this:

1.  Benintendi - CF
2.  Serrano - DH
3.  Eagan - 1B
4.  Bonfield - LF
5.  Spoon - RF
6.  McAfee - SS
7.  Bernal - 3B
8.  Pennell - C
9.  Nomura - 2B

Killian on the mound.

That is a fun lineup to look at.  I think we will see several others start on opening weekend like Wernes, Spanberger, and Wiggins, but I think that will be the opening day lineup DVH will run out.
You have Bernal starting at 3rd, we all know about his defense and I think he has the better bat, but I think Wernes is a leader on this team and has to start on day one.

Bernal, if he doesn't start, would be a nice utility infielder. If he has continued to improve at the plate like he did at the end of last year, he has to be in the lineup or play a big part some how.

Spanberger and Wilkerson would be my power pinch hitters and Darian Simms (if he doesn't redshirt) would be my pinch runner.

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 17, 2015, 06:13:52 pm
You have Bernal starting at 3rd, we all know about his defense and I think he has the better bat, but I think Wernes is a leader on this team and has to start on day one.

Bernal, if he doesn't start, would be a nice utility infielder. If he has continued to improve at the plate like he did at the end of last year, he has to be in the lineup or play a big part some how.

Spanberger and Wilkerson would be my power pinch hitters and Darian Simms (if he doesn't redshirt) would be my pinch runner.
I just don't think this team will be the best it can be if Wernes is seeing 50+ starts again.  He is a great late inning defensive replacement, but he is no threat at the plate and that doesn't work for me unless he is at a crucial defensive spot like C or SS.  A 3B is supposed to be someone who can produce offensively for your team.

I keep forgetting about Wilkerson.  We will have plenty of thump on this team with Wilkerson, Spanberger, Wiggins, Bonfield, and I will throw Spoon in there because he has double digit HR power.

I would be shocked if Simms doesn't RS this year.  DVH has mentioned multiple times that he will RS.  We are extremely deep in the OF with Spoon, Benintendi, Serrano, Bonfield, Wilkerson, and Benninghoff.  Heck, Eagan can play out there as well.  Just no room for Simms on the field this year.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

About Simms, just wishful thinking on my part. I really like the speed guys, unless their name is Tanner or English.

Knot2brite

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 17, 2015, 06:43:29 pm
About Simms, just wishful thinking on my part. I really like the speed guys, unless their name is Tanner or English.
Surely you are not disrespecting the fastest human being to ever play college baseball!
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ucahogfan

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 18, 2015, 11:28:05 am
Surely you are not disrespecting the fastest human being to ever play college baseball!
I've heard a rumor that Billy Hamilton challenged Tanner English to a race.  English made it all the way around the bases by the time Hamilton reached 1st.

Knot2brite

Remind me again who drafted tanner English

Knot2brite