Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Season soon approaching....

Started by SPAL, January 15, 2015, 09:53:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Less than a month away guys....

Let's hear what you want out of this board this coming season. As far as I'm concerned, this is and will always be the best board around. But we can always improve. What were your likes /dislikes from a board standpoint and what can we do to improve this time around?

Drinks on Kevin if we win it all?

pigture perfect

I agree. This is the best board because of good moderation, good conversation and good information. I hope we keep these. What will be the down fall is if these things change. Our PBP Guys and their pinch hitters have done an excellent job of keeping us up to date.

Play Ball Already.!!!!!!!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Kevin

We win it all I will come back, meet a foghorns and the first round is on me.

I want to continue great baseball discussion, with no insults to each other. So we don't need any heavy handed sheriff coming in here and ruining everything
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SPAL

Pbp guys make this board special...

I don't see a lot of changes in the way we moderate, Kevin. We haven't been heavy handed before and I don't plan for it to change. I think less is more and for the most part, it is pretty civil. Moderation is a lot like officiating....you shouldn't notice them. I won't moderate if I'm actively posting in a thread and if not posting, I'm quietly pruning the garbage.

This is Wilson's home. My job is to keep him from having to get too involved with having to moderate. Typically, if he is moderating...somebody has gotten out of line.

2nd round on me if we win it all

Knot2brite

This is going to be , IMHO, a very difficult year. Not necessarily the baseball side but for me I am going to need a program and name tags for several of these kids and honestly I really don't know what to expect. I know the hype but things are much different when you get on grass and dirt. I figure for me it will be a year or at least half the year to figure these new guys out and recognize their their tendencies
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Kevin on January 15, 2015, 10:10:25 pm

I want to continue great baseball discussion, with no insults to each other. So we don't need any heavy handed sheriff coming in here and ruining everything
Yep and no bashing the players!

We can agree or disagree with other posters, but there is never a good reason to bash or insult posters or players.

Keep the game threads clean! Talk about the game and strategies and players with out going on and on and on about a bad play that happened 6 innings ago, start a new thread if you feel the need to continue releasing your frustration. Remember that there are people that come here to KEEP UP with the game, not to argue and complain for 2 hours about the same thing (it gets old).

SPAL

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 15, 2015, 10:39:38 pm
This is going to be , IMHO, a very difficult year. Not necessarily the baseball side but for me I am going to need a program and name tags for several of these kids and honestly I really don't know what to expect. I know the hype but things are much different when you get on grass and dirt. I figure for me it will be a year or at least half the year to figure these new guys out and recognize their their tendencies

I'll see what we can do to mainstream a roster

WhenPigsFly

We win it all I will come back, meet a foghorns and the first round is on me.

This.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 15, 2015, 11:10:43 pm

We can agree or disagree with other posters, but there is never a good reason to bash or insult posters or players
Keep the game threads clean! Talk about the game and strategies and players with out going on and on and on about a bad play that happened 6 innings ago, start a new thread if you feel the need to continue releasing your frustration. Remember that there are people that come here to KEEP UP with the game, not to argue and complain for 2 hours about the same thing (it gets old).

^^^^This^^^^ is a biggie for me
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

tphigh2001

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 15, 2015, 11:10:43 pm

We can agree or disagree with other posters, but there is never a good reason to bash or insult posters or players.

This^^^^^^^, I dont post much at all, and The PBP in extra innings is the BEST anywhere.  The guys that do PBP allow me to stay in touch with the game even while sitting in Cheerleading Competitions and I truly appreciate it.  I will buy round 3 if we win it all. the cleaner PBP is the better.  I assume alot of people follow it that never post, and it is great, thank you all.

haveabeer

The PBP is much appreciated since I am at work during some of the games. I also appreciate the civility of this board compared to some of the others. Does anyone know when tickets are supposed to be mailed out? I can't remember if they told you when I ordered.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: haveabeer on January 16, 2015, 05:44:50 pm
The PBP is much appreciated since I am at work during some of the games. I also appreciate the civility of this board compared to some of the others. Does anyone know when tickets are supposed to be mailed out? I can't remember if they told you when I ordered.
No, they didn't tell me when you ordered. Ha,Ha.

ucahogfan

I feel like Wilson lurking with his ban hammer helps keep EI the way it is.  The regulars also are civil with each other no matter what we might think about a certain topic.  We all want to see this program win a national title.

The PBP guys on here are the best.  I won't be able to do PBP very often this year, but others do a wonderful job and really paint an excellent picture of what it happening.

Also excited to hear Elson at the helm calling the Diamond Hogs, but will miss Chuck.

haveabeer

Bummer. I was hoping they told you so you could tell me. Appreciate the follow up.

ricepig

If baseball is anything like softball, we'll see nearly every game on something.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 16, 2015, 08:00:30 pm
I feel like Wilson lurking with his ban hammer helps keep EI the way it is.  The regulars also are civil with each other no matter what we might think about a certain topic.  We all want to see this program win a national title.

The PBP guys on here are the best.  I won't be able to do PBP very often this year, but others do a wonderful job and really paint an excellent picture of what it happening.

Also excited to hear Elson at the helm calling the Diamond Hogs, but will miss Chuck.
Figured you wouldn't be able to do as much PBP, but hope you will do what you can. I should be able to pitch in when needed again this year.

Knot2brite

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 16, 2015, 09:36:56 am
I'll see what we can do to mainstream a roster
if that is possible that would be awesome
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WilsonHog

Over the last couple of years, I've been able to spend more time reading and posting in EI and less time moderating posters. I attribute that to the reputation this forum has gotten - almost a "zero tolerance" thing.

Expectations and accountability are a wonderful thing.

That being said....I'm ready for Opening Day!!

ThisTeetsTaken

Great message board!  Ready for the OmaHogs to take the field!
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

flippinhogmana

I wouldn't be surprised if the major difference on this board is that most of us may have actually played the sport at something other than an intramural level or just as a fan.  There are so many that think a sport, be it football, basketball, baseball or whatever is a whole lot simpler than it actually is. It doesn't matter whether it is the NCAA rules, the recruiting level, the university level, the coaching aspect, just being a long way from home maybe for the first time, or too long, or for whatever reason that a college student might get bummed out about-it can be a long grind. 

I think that if you have actually been struck out a few times on really demonic pitches, if you have ever been in a slump yourself, or if you have actually booted a ball or tried to make up for a bobble with a throw and compounded it thereby, you might be just a tad more sympathetic to a pimply faced freshman who might do the same thing when he is facing the gauntlet.

Just when you think you have the book on a pitcher and he is bringing his heat (which is a good pitch by the way and demands your best swing), you discover this dude has a change up!  How embarrassing.  Hopefully by the time you are a senior, you learn when to sit on the change instead (if this time he doesn't stay true to form and stay with the heater when you are both seniors).

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat when we and our home team lose...well that's why they call it agony.  I am Arkansas, always was even when Jimmy Dykes was still messin his diapers, but it was never a religion for me.  I always knew we were all human.  I still wish for the best, not always patient, but I try to remember from time to time that it is just a game.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.