Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre-Season Poll #3 - Who will be the most outstanding offensive player?

Started by dotnet, January 14, 2015, 09:56:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will be the most outstanding offensive player on the team for 2014?

Andrew Benintendi
16 (42.1%)
Michael Bernal
0 (0%)
Luke Bonfield
4 (10.5%)
Clark Eagan
4 (10.5%)
Cullen Gassaway
0 (0%)
Max Hogan
0 (0%)
Brett McAfee
2 (5.3%)
Rick Nomura
0 (0%)
Joe Serrano
3 (7.9%)
Tyler Spoon
5 (13.2%)
Blake Wiggins
0 (0%)
Krisjon Wilkerson
1 (2.6%)
Other
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: January 24, 2015, 09:56:59 am

dotnet

This question is one of the toughest of the season.  Who will be the best offensive player on the team this year. 

I think a case can be made for 4-5 people, but it wouldn't be that shocking if someone had a big year. 

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

This is a great poll. Will be interesting to see how it turns out and compare it to the end of the year.

Gotta be happy to see so many different guys getting votes for OFFENSIVE performance.

Very tempted, but did not pick a newcomer.

dotnet

Granted, not as many people have voted in this poll... I did not expect this one to be the run a way it has become...

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ucahogfan

I went with Eagan.  I think he was our second best hitter to end last season after Anderson and showed it just wasn't a hot streak as he had a great summer up north.  He is primed for a huge sophomore year with what should be a much better offense and a year of seasoning under his belt.  He should hit at the top of the order.

This should be the closest competition on this club.  We could have as many as 7-8 regulars to hit .300+.  I think it will be Eagan, Benintendi, Serrano, and McAfee at a minimum, but people like Spoon, Nomura, Bonfield, and several others could be .300+ hitters as well.

I can see why people would select Benintendi.  High IQ player who sprays the ball all over the field and doesn't chase pitches out of the zone.  He should see more pop with the new ball, and is a threat to steal 25-30 bases with his ability.

McAfee should have a big year as well.  He was having a solid junior year before going down with injury.  Getting him back as a senior is huge.  Having his presence at SS will be huge for this team.

Bonfield could be the best hitter by the end of the year.  He has the best set of hitting tools on campus.  One thing working in his favor is that he is a gym rat according to Vitello and DVH.  He isn't content to just remain where he is at and always wants to improve.

Having Spoon and Serrano back is huge as well.  They are solid 4th year players in our program and should be primed to be leaders on this team.  Serrano is just a steady player on this offense while Spoon has potential either to be an AA or a .200 hitter.

Outside of Bonfield, I'm really excited to see what Wiggins and Spanberger can do at the plate.  Both have impact power that don't make it to campus too often.

Knot2brite

I went with AB because honestly he is the only one I really know and I saw something at the end of the year last year that made me feel the light came on and he got what college baseball was all about
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

BroyledNutts

Spoon, McAfee, Benintendi, Bonfield - all candidates...

I'm going to go with Joe Serrano...Mr. Reliable....bunting, steals, clutch hits, good plate presence. Few wasted at bats. He's due for a hero's season.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: dotnet on January 16, 2015, 08:35:56 am
Granted, not as many people have voted in this poll... I did not expect this one to be the run a way it has become...
Not so fast, we're not done yet. Plus, there will always be some people to click on the guy at the top of the list.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 17, 2015, 11:57:30 pm
I'm going to go with Joe Serrano...Mr. Reliable....bunting, steals, clutch hits, good plate presence. Few wasted at bats. He's due for a hero's season.
Got to agree that he could be the guy this year. DVH keeps mentioning him and says he has improved. Plus, he could end up DH'ing, which means he can concentrate even more on hitting.