Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pre-Season Poll #1 - Newcomer Impact

Started by dotnet, January 08, 2015, 01:06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which newcomer will have the biggest impact this season?

Luke Bonfield
48 (67.6%)
Keaton McKinney
11 (15.5%)
Rick Nomura
4 (5.6%)
Kyle Pate
3 (4.2%)
Jonah Patten
0 (0%)
Nathan Rodriguez
1 (1.4%)
Chad Spanberger
1 (1.4%)
Blake Wiggins
2 (2.8%)
Other
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: January 18, 2015, 01:06:20 pm

dotnet

As people seem to be getting more excited about the start of the new season, I am going to ask a series of questions (every few days) to allow people to call their shot.

This question is which newcomer will have the biggest impact this season. 

Kevin

i chose nomura.  i figured everyone will choose bonfield
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I went with the 6'5" freshman pitcher, Keaton McKinney. With proven depth at pitcher being lower than recent years, I see newcomer pitchers playing a big role in the outcome of the season. I think McKinney has the best chance for making a impact as the season moves along.

PintailKiller

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersD1  3m3 minutes ago
Am told heralded @RazorbackBSB Fr. C Nathan Rodriguez will miss the entire spring, deemed ineligible. Will stay at #Arkansas, however. #wps
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

ucahogfan

I picked Bonfield, but I think we see a lot of impact new comers.  Bonfield is one of the most gifted hitters IMO ever to step foot on this campus.  Whether it will be reflected in his stats, Bonfield is a pure hitter.  He should also be solid defensively after working very hard to improve defensively at IMG last year.

I think Nomura will make an impact this year as well.  Nomura has had quite a few ABs against the type of pitching he will see this year in Cali last summer and did well enough to be named an All-Star out there.  He is also someone who could steal 20-25 bases or more depending on how much he plays, how much he gets on base, and his knack for stealing bases.

With the news of Rodriguez, it becomes more important for Pennell to step up in a big way, but I think DVH was leaning more towards starting him anyway.  The best news in this is that Rodriguez will remain at Arkansas so hopefully he redshirts and spends the summer out on the Cape or some major summer league and comes back for a big RS Freshman year.

Wiggins and Spanberger should bring some serious power to this team, but it might be a matter of just finding them ABs whether it be C/1B/DH.  This will be a deep offensive team with a lot of options for DVH to choose from.

The group of freshmen pitchers is exciting too.  McKinney, Patten, Pate, and Fant are four guys we can build around.  I think Cannon Chadwick and his slider will play a big role out of the pen as well.

Kevin

I hope Rodriguez does not become a bust
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Blutoblutarsky

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 08, 2015, 08:26:51 pm
I picked Bonfield, but I think we see a lot of impact new comers.  Bonfield is one of the most gifted hitters IMO ever to step foot on this campus.  Whether it will be reflected in his stats, Bonfield is a pure hitter.  He should also be solid defensively after working very hard to improve defensively at IMG last year.

I think Nomura will make an impact this year as well.  Nomura has had quite a few ABs against the type of pitching he will see this year in Cali last summer and did well enough to be named an All-Star out there.  He is also someone who could steal 20-25 bases or more depending on how much he plays, how much he gets on base, and his knack for stealing bases.

With the news of Rodriguez, it becomes more important for Pennell to step up in a big way, but I think DVH was leaning more towards starting him anyway.  The best news in this is that Rodriguez will remain at Arkansas so hopefully he redshirts and spends the summer out on the Cape or some major summer league and comes back for a big RS Freshman year.

Wiggins and Spanberger should bring some serious power to this team, but it might be a matter of just finding them ABs whether it be C/1B/DH.  This will be a deep offensive team with a lot of options for DVH to choose from.

The group of freshmen pitchers is exciting too.  McKinney, Patten, Pate, and Fant are four guys we can build around.  I think Cannon Chadwick and his slider will play a big role out of the pen as well.

Would he still have to take a RS this year since he is ineligible?  I guess since he has already been on some percent of scholarship?