Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Investing in football

Started by ChicoHog, January 10, 2018, 11:35:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicoHog

Tom Lugenbill was on ESPNU Full ride yesterday and he talking about they were talking about the championship game, Bama, UGA, etc.,  Then he made a statement about universities "investing" in football.  He has been on campuses and in staff rooms all over the country and he said only 2 schools have really invested in football 100% in the last 5-7 years.  they are Bama of course and Clemson.  Dabo Swinney went to the powers at Clemson about 6 or 7 years or so ago and sold them on completely investing in football.  That means everything from paying coaches, facilities, nutrition, housing, analytical staffs, video coordinators, etc.,  All about the processes to get your team to an elite level.  Clemson modeled themselves after Bama in many ways.  Now clemson recruits at a level  similar to Bama. 

Then they started talking about who is next in doing that and A&M came up immediately because they are willing to do anything financially to make their program elite.  I hope they don't achieve but they are committed.  Money can't buy everything but it sure helps. 

go hogues

Then there are programs like Mississippi State, who have many limitations, who have been punching WAY above their weight class for a decade or so. Definitely a frustrating, inexact science.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 10, 2018, 11:35:33 am
Tom Lugenbill was on ESPNU Full ride yesterday and he talking about they were talking about the championship game, Bama, UGA, etc.,  Then he made a statement about universities "investing" in football.  He has been on campuses and in staff rooms all over the country and he said only 2 schools have really invested in football 100% in the last 5-7 years.  they are Bama of course and Clemson.  Dabo Swinney went to the powers at Clemson about 6 or 7 years or so ago and sold them on completely investing in football.  That means everything from paying coaches, facilities, nutrition, housing, analytical staffs, video coordinators, etc.,  All about the processes to get your team to an elite level.  Clemson modeled themselves after Bama in many ways.  Now clemson recruits at a level  similar to Bama. 

Then they started talking about who is next in doing that and A&M came up immediately because they are willing to do anything financially to make their program elite.  I hope they don't achieve but they are committed.  Money can't buy everything but it sure helps.
Lugenbill is really going out on a limb saying the last two national champions are the schools that are "investing 100% in football".  How does he explain OU, Georgia, Ohio State, even UCF?

redeye

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 12:04:24 pm
Lugenbill is really going out on a limb saying the last two national champions are the schools that are "investing 100% in football".  How does he explain OU, Georgia, Ohio State, even UCF?

I imagine that's true, although he's not wrong about Clemson and Bama.  Clemson doesn't bring in nearly the revenue that Arkansas does, but on the flip side, they're located near the hottest recruiting region in the nation.

I've argued that we need to invest more in the past, but we have invested quite a lot since then.  I just don't think we've used our money wisely.

CarolinaSwine

Quote from: redeye on January 10, 2018, 12:31:46 pm
I just don't think we've used our money wisely.

We invested in our last coach at $.50/pound

Hogindasticks

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 10, 2018, 11:35:33 am

I think next year at this time, they will be talking about Ark in this manner because of the work CM and staff are doing now.

HogHomer

Quote from: go hogues on January 10, 2018, 12:01:32 pm
Then there are programs like Mississippi State, who have many limitations, who have been punching WAY above their weight class for a decade or so. Definitely a frustrating, inexact science.
There is quite a bit of talent in Mississippi.