Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

January 07, 2017, 03:14:57 pm #900 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:46:21 pm by jbcarol
...Shane Lechler

https://twitter.com/JeromeSolomon/status/817401478407221248

QuoteDown to perhaps a final desperate act, the record-setting punter for the Aggies pulled out the student newspaper.

"We had a management class together, and he positioned himself on a row he knew I sat on," the future Erin Lechler recalled this week with a laugh. "He got there early, and he opened up The Battalion to where it had this big spread on him, with a huge picture. The headline said, 'Rocket Man.' He was framing it up for me, so I could see what he was all about."

Shane's courting of his future wife required more than a catchy headline - the junior repeatedly had inquired about Erin's leg injury suffered in volleyball training camp, prompting the freshman to think the then-stranger might be a bit odd, but by February 1998, the two were an A&M athletics power couple.

"I was impressed," Erin said. "He was a very talented football player."

Nearly two decades later, Erin and the rest of the Lechler clan will be in the stands at NRG Stadium in Houston on Saturday to root on the Texans' standout punter play against the Oakland Raiders, Lechler's old team.

Shane graduated from East Bernard High School in 1995; Erin graduated from Mayde Creek two years later. The two married in 2001 and have two daughters, 11 and 8.

"Coming to Houston was perfect timing," Erin said of her husband signing with his hometown team in 2013. "It was awesome - life-changing. We had lived in Oakland only during the football season, and every six months we were boxing things up and moving again. It wore on us."

Shane was a fifth-round draft choice of the Raiders in 2000 after earning All-America honors at A&M. Erin still had a couple of years to go on the Aggies' volleyball team at that time, and by her senior season of fall 2001, she was known as Erin Lechler.

[She did not feel a bit awkward being the only libero with a husband.]

"Shane came back to A&M during his bye week in 2001 and had to borrow my car," Erin said. "It broke down and a cop came to help, heard his name and asked, 'Oh, are you related to that volleyball player?' "

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 18h18 hours ago

In late 1990s I remember @rcslocum telling us how Shane Lechler would literally punt ball out of lights in HS stadiums when recruiting him.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

...Cadillac Williams

Carnell "Cadillac" Williams will coach running backs at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

QuoteWilliams spent the 2016 season coaching running backs at West Georgia, where former North Alabama standout and West Alabama coach Will Hall is the head coach.

Williams was Alabama's Mr. Football for the Etowah Blue Devils in 2000.

The fifth player picked in the 2005 draft, Williams spent seven seasons in the NFL, running for 4,038 yards and 21 touchdowns and catching 148 passes for 1,002 yards and four TDs.

The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl will be played at 3:15 p.m. CST Jan. 21 at StubHub Center in Carson.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Auburn Forward John Caylor

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/819967849439567873

QuoteOn Jan. 15, 1983, Sonny Smith's unranked Tigers, led by Person, Barkley and Darrell Lockhart, upset the sixth-ranked Wildcats 75-67 at Rupp Arena.

Five years later, on Jan. 9, 1988, Auburn did it again. Forward John Caylor buried a 3-point from the wing with 10 seconds to play and Rex Chapman's long shot at the buzzer was off the mark and Auburn owned another upset of Kentucky at Rupp Arena. This one, a 53-52 win over No. 1 Kentucky.

Eighteen years later covering 15 more trips to Lexington have produced zero wins in Rupp Arena for the Tigers. Overall, Auburn is 2-26 at Rupp and 2-46 in Lexington against the Wildcats. Auburn plays at Kentucky on Saturday at 4 p.m. on ESPN.

Caylor, who lives in Auburn and is a season-ticket holder, who shared his experience from that 1988 game. Here's how Caylor tells the story:

The first thing I remember is how loud the student band was because they sit right behind the bench. Every time they played the fight song it came right through you, right through your chest.

It's a very hard place to win, a hard place for most teams to even be in a ball game in Lexington. At the time we were going through some difficult times with one of our best players, Mike Jones, getting kicked off the team (he was academically ineligible). Because of that, a lot of us were thrown into playing when we really weren't prepared to be playing.

The final play was set up for Chris Morris, our biggest star and top scorer. I was actually — Sonny Smith tells it a different way — but I know what he told me. He said to set the pick and get out of the way. 'I don't care if you have to roll into the stands, get out of the way.' Of course, I was wide open because nobody was guarding me. Being in the right place at the right time. It was a great moment. But I was put in that position and most times I would not have been there.

Coach Smith always said that if you take a shot that's out of the offense, you're going to sit with him on the bench. The game is coached a lot different today. But Coach would have you sitting beside him in the blink of an eye. I was just trying to do what I was told and stay out of the way.

I was over there like a spectator in the stands thinking that somebody has to shoot it. They threw it to me — it's not like I haven't hit a shot before — and it's one of those things you don't even think about. Time is running out, you're either the goat or the mule. I really didn't have a whole lot to lose.

I am surprised we haven't beaten them there since. That's not uncommon. A lot of people don't beat Kentucky in Lexington. I am surprised it's been this many years. It's been 30 years since I was in college and that it (the shot) still echoes ... It's one of those things that never wants to die — from the Auburn basketball Twitter page or someone calls and asks about the shot or they have a drawing on the radio. I'm proud of that. By no means did I do it by myself. I was a very small part of the scoring that day.

Sonny Smith keeps trying to tell me when we have lettermen's events and get-togethers that he drew up that play for me. I tell him 'you told me to go sit in the stands and eat some popcorn.' You can see him on the sidelines when they throw it to me and he was hollering 'no, no, no' and when the shot went in he was hollering 'yes, yes, yes.' It's a big running joke with us these days.

Caylor is a sales manager at Alabama Crown Wine and Spirits

jbcarol

...David Ross

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/820061934804434944

QuoteDespite retiring as a player after the Cubs' historic World Series run, Ross will remain in Chicago as the team's new special assistant to baseball operations.

Ross' duties will include major league operations, player development, pro scouting and work within the Cubs' front office, according to the team. He also will play a role in evaluating amateur players.

Ross played at Auburn in 1996 and 1997 before transferring to Florida, where he played the 1998 season. He made the College World Series with both teams and was selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 19th round of the 1998 draft.

He spent 15 years in the majors...

jbcarol

... Jordan Jefferson

https://twitter.com/JimKleinpeter/status/819675964309442566

QuoteUniversity of Houston is denying a Footballscoop.com report that former LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson is joining the Houston Cougar staff as a graduate assistant.

Houston SID David Bassity said coach Major Applewhite adamantly denied that Jefferson has been brought on.

Jefferson played at LSU from 2008-11 and played in 42 games with 32 starts. He was 24-8 as a starter, the winningest quarterback in Les Miles' 12 seasons. He passed for 4,733 yards and 34 touchdowns in his career.

Jefferson pleaded guilty to simple battery charges in the 2011 Shady's bar fight involving several LSU players, and was also arrested a year later for simple possession of marijuana.

jbcarol

... D Ford

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/820633216554037248

QuoteDee Ford was aiming for a music scholarship before he wound up playing football at Auburn. And while music figures in his post-football career, he's got his eye on Hollywood, too.

"The money is in these movies," Ford said. "I'm going to get in unbelievable shape. It's hard to stay in shape now because your body is so beat up from football. But when I'm done, I'm going to be like 4 percent body fat and get in shape for these movies."

Of more immediate concern for Ford and the Chiefs is getting after Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers visit the Chiefs at 7:20 p.m. CST Sunday in the final of the four games in the NFL's Divisional Playoffs round on NBC.

jbcarol

...Rambo

Michael Carvell ‏@Michael_Carvell 1m1 minute ago

How a former Georgia football star took a future Georgia hoops player under his wing
https://t.co/xFod0pZuZo

QuoteSeminole County sits tucked in the southwest corner of Georgia, bordering two other states, and featuring the rural, hard-scrabble living for many of its residents. Forty-five percent of those 18 or under, according to the most recent U.S. census, live under the poverty line.

"In south Georgia, you grow up a different way," said Bacarri Rambo, who grew up in Donalsonville, the tiny county seat. "There's really no silver spoons. Some people have good jobs, but you struggle. Some nights you go home and something happens and the light is turned off. It's always a struggle in south Georgia."

The way out, as it is in many similar areas around the country, is sports. But most of those that make it out of Seminole County, like Rambo, also retain a fierce loyalty to their hometown. They also tend to have an eye out for who could follow them out.

Jordan Harris was in middle school when Rambo, at that point in the midst of a prolific (and eventful) Georgia football career, first noticed him. Well, Rambo already knew Harris [pre-existing relationship clause], who grew up with Rambo's younger brother, Danny, as well as one of Rambo's nephews. In the towns of Donalsonville and Iron City, the respective hometowns of Rambo and Harris, everyone tended to know everybody, and athletes especially gravitated to each other.

But it was during a trip home that Rambo saw that little Jordan might be special. Their versions of how it started diverge:

jbcarol

..."Good" Bo Wallace and his last chance, you

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/823980066384281604

QuoteFormer Ole Miss QB Bo Wallace is returning to East Mississippi Community College, only this time he's trading in his helmet for a whistle, will join the EMCC coaching staff as an offensive assistant. Wallace played for the school in 2011 after transferring from Arkansas State.

Last Chance U. Coach Buddy Stephens:

"When Bo quit playing, his ambition was to join a coaching staff and I have seen a very big maturation with him over the last couple of years so we feel he is going to help us as he comes home in a way.

We are going to make sure he has an influential role in our offense and help him grow as a coach as he helps us grow."

jbcarol

...Kevin Turner

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/824060479643455488

QuoteAs the anniversary of Kevin Turner's death approaches, HBO's popular Real Sports program will profile the former Alabama star on Tuesday night.

The emotional segment tracks Turner from the beginning of his fight with ALS, straight through his death March 24, 2016. In it, further evidence of the relationship between his head injuries in football and the condition of his brain at death was presented.

Interviews with his parents, a close friend and teammate Craig Sanderson, Dabo Swinney and son Nolan Turner illustrate how devastating ALS can be on the human body.

"To me," Swinney says in the segment, "he was invincible."

The piece that airs at 9 p.m. CT Tuesday on HBO includes footage shot over the final six years of Turner's life.

The oldest son of Kevin was asked if he considered giving up the sport after his dad's death and the evidence football was a major factor.

"No. I mean, if anything it just makes me more cautious," Turner said in an interview conducted in Clemson's Memorial Stadium. "And, you know, you gotta, you know, treat that stuff seriously. It's just not a joke anymore."

Swinney offered Nolan Turner a scholarship just weeks before his father died.

That moment of celebration was juxtaposed with a tearful interview with Turner's parents, Myra and Raymond Turner. His mother recalled the moment her son asked her to turn off the machines.

Trailer available via link

Thu, Jan 26, 8:00AM ET Episode 85: Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel Ep 238

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Eltora [sic] Sanchez Freeman

QuoteA former Auburn University football player is being accused of domestic violence.

According to documents filed in Tallapoosa County Circuit Court, a 20-year-old woman filed a protection order against 27-year-old Eltora Sanchez Freeman. The woman claims Freeman abused her multiple times. During an argument on Jan. 17, the female said Freeman "grabbed me by my neck and carried me out the house."

The woman also accused Freeman of harassment via text and phone calls. The protection order was filed in court on Jan.19.

Freeman turned himself in to Alexander City police when he was contacted about the charges on Jan.26.

Freeman claimed the allegations against him were untrue. He also showed reporters text messages and video showing the woman was constantly contacting him.

The same woman filed a separate protection order against Freeman in July, court documents show. In the order, the female said he hit her head, side and back with his fist. Since the woman did not show up to court, the case was dismissed in October. 

Freeman started playing for Auburn in 2008 and was part of the 2010 National Championship football team. He told the Outlook that the woman is trying to ruin his good name.

Auburn University Athletic Department website lists Freeman's name as "Eltoro".

jbcarol

...Traveon Samuel

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/827318923188137986

QuoteLouisville wide receiver Traveon Samuel, a Phenix City native, was cited last month for driving in excess of 100 mph on a Kentucky interstate, according to a report by the Louisville Curious-Journal.

Samuel, a rising junior, was not arrested, but faces charges of excessive speeding and reckless driving. According to police, he was driving a white 2006 Lexus with Alabama plates 115 mph alongside another vehicle traveling in excess of 100 mph on I-65 in Bullitt County [Derek Willis].

The citation alleges that Samuel was "passing on (the) right side, tailgating, failing to signal lane changes (and) crossing all three lanes at once."

Former A-Lister in the Class o' '15.

jbcarol

...Benny Perrin

Decatur businessman and former NFL and Alabama football player Benny Perrin died today at Decatur Morgan Hospital.

He was 57.

Perrin played defensive back for legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant at Alabama. He was a quarterback and defensive back for the late coach Earl Webb at Decatur High

Quote"This is a crushing loss for the community," Decatur High Principal Johnny Berry said about Perrin's death. "He was a great supporter of Decatur High and the school district."

Morgan County Coroner Jeff Chunn said he ruled the death suicide.

Perrin, who played in the NFL from 1982-85, was one of the 4,500-plus plaintiffs in the former players vs. NFL lawsuit concerning concussions.

He played football at Alabama from 1978-1981 and was a member of two national championship teams. He started at defensive back as a junior and senior.

He was drafted in the 1982 NFL draft by the Cardinals, who were then based in St. Louis. He was selected for the 1982 NFL all-rookie team. He was an alternate selection to the 1984 Pro Bowl.

jbcarol

...Denzel Nkemdiche

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/829842615919079427

QuoteNkemdiche was set to go on "Head to Head" with Matt Wyatt and Richard Cross on Supertalk Mississippi on Thursday... When they threw it over to him, all that could be heard from the other end of the line was Nkemdiche's sleeping, deep breathing.

Nkemdiche disappeared from the spotlight after having a tumultuous end to his Ole Miss career, which included a mysterious hospital stay that kept him away from the team. Since then, he improved his act, got clean of drugs and began a career in music...

jbcarol

...Collis Temple, Jr.

Press Maravich, Collis Temple Jr., Collis Temple Sr.

QuoteNew Coach Dale Brown recalled seeing one of his players slide a note under Temple Jr.'s door when he was doing a bedroom check not long after landing the job. He was able to get the note without Temple seeing it and was disgusted by what he read.

"I finished bed check and came home and read the note and it made me throw up," Brown said. "I don't remember the exact words, but it was like, ....'

"So I called the kid into the office. I told him, 'You know what I feel like doing, knocking your ass through that plate-glass window. But I'm not going to do it. I'm going to talk to you like a man.' He was scared of me. That's why he didn't do anything. But he was 100 percent racist."

Despite the hostility, Temple Jr. averaged 15.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game as a senior and earned All-SEC honors.

Despite his struggles, Temple Jr. has remained loyal to LSU. In 1979, he returned for his master's degree in education. He has served on the board of directors of the LSU Alumni Association, Tiger Athletic Foundation, National L Club and LSU Junior Division Advisory Board. He was one of 15 LSU basketball players chosen by fans on the All-Century Team. In 2010, he was named to the LSU Alumni Association's Hall of Distinction, which recognizes alumni who have distinguished themselves through their careers, personal and civic accomplishments, volunteer activities and loyalty to the school.

But despite these accolades and involvement, Temple Jr. still hasn't been selected for LSU's Athletic Hall of Fame, which recognizes former athletes who have made a lasting impact at the school. It crossed his mind when the Sacramento Kings honored him. [Two of Temple Jr.'s sons played basketball at LSU, including Kings guard Garrett Temple — a member of LSU's all-black starting lineup in the 2006 Final Four.]

jbcarol

...Quentin Moses

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/830818458086551552

QuoteQuentin Moses, a first-team All-SEC defensive end on Georgia's SEC championship team in 2005, passed away along with two others in a house fire on Sunday morning.

Moses, 33, was found unconscious at the scene of the house fire in Monroe, according to this report, then pronounced dead later at a hospital.  Andria Godard, 31, and her 10-year-old daughter Jasmine Godard were found dead inside the house. Monroe is about 20 miles from Athens, where Moses grew up.

Moses played at Georgia from 2003-06, and had a spectacular year in 2005. He racked up 11.5 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss, and was named first-team All-SEC by both the AP and SEC coaches. A year later as a senior he had 4.5 sacks and 12 tackles-for-loss.

Very saddened to learn of the tragic death this morning of Quentin Moses," then UGA-assistant Kirby Smart said. "Thoughts and prayers go out to his family in this difficult time."

Moses would be with the Dolphins until 2010, recording two more sacks in a reserve role.

Since then Moses had become a coach, serving as an assistant at Reinhardt University since 2011, according to the school's web site. Reinhardt is an NAIA school located in Waleska.

Moses' bio on Reinhardt's page has a quote from Mark Richt, his head coach at Georgia: "Quentin was one of the top 10 pass rushers in the history of Georgia football with a total of 25 sacks.  And he was also exactly what you are looking for in a student-athlete on and off the field."

https://twitter.com/RikkiKlausWSB/status/830835254587977728

jbcarol

...Aldon Smith

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/831279403795619840

QuoteSan Francisco Police Department is conducting an investigation into a domestic violence complaint against Smith. A department spokeswoman said both Smith and the woman who filed the complaint are cooperating... Smith has not been arrested [n]or charged with a crime.

NFL suspended Smith for one year in November 2015 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, causing him to miss the end of the 2015 season and all of 2016. The suspension came after Smith was arrested on hit-and-run and DUI charges in August 2015. He also has two other DUI arrests on his record.

The alleged domestic violence incident comes one month before the NFL is scheduled to make a decision on whether Smith will be reinstated. Smith met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other NFL officials Dec. 9 to discuss the possibility of reinstatement. However, the league deferred judgement on the matter until March.

San Francisco drafted Smith with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. He signed with the Raiders in 2015.

jbcarol

...Justin Sawyer

QuoteFormer Ole Miss football player Justin Sawyer died from an apparent heart attack Saturday.

Sawyer, 36, was the Rebels' center for most of 2003, the senior season for both himself and quarterback Eli Manning. Sawyer made eight starts and appeared in 13 games that season.

A native of Centreville, Sawyer played at Centreville Academy before signing with Ole Miss in 1999.

He had been named head coach at West Lincoln High School earlier this month.

https://twitter.com/SpiritBen/status/833387376131055616

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Matt Elam

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835875764016922625

QuoteRavens safety Matt Elam was arrested in Miami early Sunday morning and is facing multiple drug charges.

Elam was arrested and taken to Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in Miami at 3:45 a.m. Sunday morning. He's being charged with possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, possession of a controlled substance and reckless driving, per Zrebiec. His bail is set at $15,500.

Police found Elam with 126 grams of marijuana and 6 Oxycodone pills in his vehicle after being pulled over.

Elam will become an unrestricted free agent March 9.

Elam was suspended one game in 2015 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

jbcarol

...Willie Gault

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835820921327845376

QuoteWillie Gault had a saying at Tennessee: "If we're even, I'm leaving."

It was the world class sprinter's way of saying that no one on the football field could keep up with him, and that's how his former coach and roommate remember things were when Gault graced the Vols' campus from 1979 through 1983.

"No one I've ever known could outrun Willie," former Vols football coach Johnny Majors told SEC Country on Friday afternoon. "Put Willie in a track uniform, or a football uniform, and you could see he had a great physique and made the most of it with that beautiful running style.

"He could have run with a gallon of water on his head, and it wouldn't have had a ripple while he was running, because he was that smooth."

Gault, inducted into the Georgia State Hall of Fame on Saturday, remembers choosing the Vols over several top-level schools after starring at Griffin High.

Gault lives in Los Angeles, where he continues to run track at the Masters level, now having set or held 13 world records over the past 35 years after his illustrious NFL football career with the 1985 Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears.

jbcarol

jbcarol

...Mickey Marvin

https://twitter.com/Josh_Ward/status/838851398397804544

QuoteMickey Marvin passed away Monday morning after a long battle with ALS.

Marvin was 61. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders with the 112th overall pick in the fourth round of the 1977 NFL Draft and enjoyed an 11-year career with the Raiders from 1977-87. He played in 120 games, making 108 starts, and was a member of the Raiders' Super Bowl XV and Super Bowl XVIII champion teams. Marvin was the Raiders' starting right guard from 1978-86 and continued to work for the [Raiders organization].

Marvin was an offensive guard and a four-year letterman for the Vols from 1973-76. He earned Second Team UPI All-America honors in 1975 and garnered UPI First Team All-SEC honors from 1974-76. Marvin played on UT's 1974 Liberty Bowl champion team. He played in the East-West Shrine Game in 1977.

The Hendersonville, North Carolina, native enjoyed a stellar high school career at both Brevard High School and West Henderson High School.

Forest Lawn Funeral Home (Hendersonville, North Carolina) is handling the arrangements.

Blue Ridge Now Times-News: After a long battle with ALS, former Oakland Raider Mickey Marvin, a two-time Super Bowl champion, passed away Monday morning

Quote"Henderson County has lost a great champion," WHKP's Richard Rhodes said. "Mickey Marvin was a friend to all. In a day where most pro athletes aren't who you want your kids to look up to, Mickey was. He was a true role model and a true friend.

"He was a great ambassador for Henderson County."

"I remember him when he played for Tennessee," Henderson County Manager Steve Wyatt said. "Tennessee always plucked the best talent from Western North Carolina. They heard about Mickey, who was this big kid with great talent, and they got him.

"People are always talking about the best sports rivalries, like Carolina-Duke basketball. In pro football, it was the Raiders-Chiefs rivalry for years," Wyatt said. "Me and Mickey talked about that rivalry a lot, and when he talked about it, I was hanging on his every word. His face would light up when he started talking about it. I've seen old photos of Mickey in the trenches, covered in mud and with blood on him, and he's grinning. He was in his element. He was a true warrior.

"Then you meet him off the field, and he's the nicest guy you could ever meet. I always thought Mickey was a better man than he was a football player," Wyatt said.

After his playing days Marvin came back to his home in Hendersonville and continued giving back to his community.

"He never forgot where he came from," Mud Creek Baptist Church Rev. Greg Mathis said. "He would always be at charity events, signing autographs or making appearances. He'd do everything he could to help the community."

"This has been devastating for our community today. I've seen grown men crying. Mickey will never be forgotten. He was taken too soon," Wyatt said.

jbcarol

...The Oversigning Movement led by the Ohio State machine against the SEC

From two years ago when things started to change and it was time to hang it up:

Tony Gerdeman‏ @TonyGerdeman 4 Feb 2015

I see by years-old tweets of mine showing up in my mentions that Michigan fans have latched on to the notion that Ohio State is oversigning.

Today:

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/839156149018558466

QuoteOhio State's roster has had some attrition in the last few days, and Urban Meyer confirmed it at a press conference following the first day of spring practice on Tuesday.

Buckeyes WR James Clark, OL Tyler Gerald and WR Alex Stump are all no longer with the program. The most bizarre? Gerald, a rising redshirt sophomore, who just quit the team.

OL Kyle Trout is still practicing with the team this spring, then will get his degree and head to Cincinnati as a graduate transfer.

The numbers will work out for Meyer. They always do.

jbcarol

...Aldon Smith

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/840016238948560898

QuoteSmith was a passenger in a car that collided with a police vehicle. Smith was reportedly intoxicated and was detained on a public intoxication charge.

Smith was hoping to be reinstated by the NFL this month after serving a lengthy suspension for multiple legal issues and violations of the league's substance abuse policies.

https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/839925846085246976

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Vantage 8 dude

jbcarol

...Former Florida DB Deiondre Porter

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/844968894850895874

QuotePorter received a six-year sentence on Wednesday, 11 months after he was arrested for a connection to an armed robbery...

Porter, 20, pleaded guilty in Jacksonville and was sentenced to state prison as a youthful offender. The robbery occurred last April at a T-Mobile store, which involved ordering employees to open the safe and the theft of cell phones.

Porter redshirted in 2014 for the Gators, before playing on special teams in 2015. He was arrested during October of the 2015 season when he was charged with four felonies and a misdemeanor for aggravated assault after pointing a gun at his pregnant girlfriend and firing a bullet near her. That case remains open...

jbcarol

...Chris Dausin

A&M 1993 Aggie Heart Award winner Chris Dausin (DOW-son) passed away quietly at his home in San Antonio

Dausin was a three-year starter at offensive center for the Aggies and earned first-team All-Southwest Conference honors in 1992 and 1993. Dausin was a mainstay of the Aggies' record-setting Senior Class of 1993 that became the first group of seniors to surpass the 40-win plateau in its four seasons

Chris was the youngest of three Dausin brothers to don the maroon and white

From Sept. 15, 2015: Aggie Flashback with former A&M center Chris "Dirty" Dausin

Quote"Stepping out there on Kyle Field – I can't explain it. From the inside I can't explain it. From the outside you can't understand it. The goosebumps – I'm willing to go to a different edge, because I believed in it. That was a key motivator that kept all of our motors running."

"My uncle was a Ross Volunteer in '52, I believe. Then my brother Brian – we all graduated from Roosevelt High School in San Antonio – a family of eight. My brother Brian was the first one at A&M. Emory Bellard was with my brother Brian from '78-'82. He went on and played and started with the USFL, the Houston Gamblers. Then my brother Randy had a full scholarship there from '82-'86. I followed it up and was there from '88-'93."

"Of course there was only one choice (when I was being recruited). When you're going to those games at Texas A&M and the Aggie Band strikes up – once it's in your blood, you can't get it out of you. There's no doubt about that."

"Beating LSU (sticks out to me the most from my playing days). I don't want to take anything away from poor Texas over there, but that was just going out there and beating someone down. That was the mentality, especially on the offensive line. You're in the trenches, and I was fortunate enough to play center and start for Texas A&M. I mean, wow. Of course there were a lot of sacrifices, but are you joking me? Just for that one opportunity – playing Texas, I think one of my fondest moments was from my senior year. They had a bounty on my head. A radio station had a bounty on my head prior to the Texas game, so as a big offensive lineman that doesn't get too much credit in the middle, I kind of put that on my hat and kind of wore it around for a while."

"(My brothers) worked for everything. We weren't the most talented. We weren't the biggest in size. When I first came into A&M, I was 6'2" and 215 pounds dripping wet – hence the name 'Ragdoll' for about two years on the scout team. You get a little grit from that. I needed that. I needed that push. That was the Dausin way. We were grunters. We were ditch-diggers, but we were the best ditch-diggers out there. We took a lot of pride in that. We took a lot of pride in who we were, and that was the biggest contributing source of that."

"It was a lot of pushing. You'd come in in those days, and we'd have Shotgun Alley. R.C. Slocum would pull up and during spring practice, we'd have Shotgun Alley. Either you're going to step up and be the one when he says, 'Who's up?' Or you're going to sit in the back and be scared. That was my worst fear – not stepping up and putting all my effort into it when I do step up. I was fortunate to have that. A lot of it was hanging on during practice squad days and just not giving up. It was like Rocky Balboa says in that movie – it's not how hard you can hit a person. It's how many licks you can take and keep on going. I just had that mentality. "

"It's a pretty passionate deal, (and I got into a lot of fights at practice.) When you believe in something the way A&M believed in me – I really believed in being a Fightin' Texas Aggie. There was no doubt about that on game day or any day. During practice against my own guys, it was the passion. That's the bottom line, and I would go the extra distance, I guess. Call it being mean or being nasty. I just called it trying really hard."

"(Practices were most definitely harder than games). Everything was (about the) Wrecking Crew. As a poor offensive unit, we're not going to take that. That's what made practices very interesting. We could come together on game day. That was the thing. When we practiced and it was ones-on-ones, it was full go, because we're not going to get intimidated by the Wrecking Crew coming in there and making tackles and doing what they do. We have more respect for ourselves on the offensive line."

"We had a little barbecue joint in Seguin. I just recently shut down the doors a few months ago. I ran that for about seven years. I'm back here at Dausin Electric. It's a family-owned and operated commercial electrical contractor here in San Antonio. I still reside in New Braunfels. That was a heck of a learning experience. It was a bar and restaurant place that was really good. I do my catering stuff on the side. I keep that cooking still going, keep that fire going, I guess."

jbcarol

...Johnny Nichols

https://twitter.com/AnnieCostabile/status/847931500561661952

QuoteFor Johnny Nichols a dream is being realized. He's been coaching since 1992 but upon accepting this position at St. Andrew's Nichols, age 48, became a head coach for the first time.

St. Andrew's announced Thursday afternoon that Nichols would take over for David Bradberry, who retired after the 2016 season.

Up until this point in his career Nichols always balanced his full time sales position with his passion for coaching. He'd spend his days in sales and finish them on the football field. Now he'll finish his days the same way he starts them, no role change necessary.

"This past year my wife and I have been talking about it and the opportunity became available to coach full time," Nichols said. "We decided as a family, let's do this thing. It's something I really enjoy, watching kids grow and learn and go through adversity. This is what I've always wanted to do and now we're at a place where I can actually do that."

Nichols joins St. Andrew's after spending a season under coach Todd Lott of St. Joe-Madison as the offensive coordinator. His fast pace offensive style that he implemented at St. Joe is what he plans to bring to his new program.

"It's going to be fast and it's going to be fun," Nichols said.

That fast energetic style of play Nichols taught to his teams throughout the years was a style he learned from Florida head coach Steve Spurrier. Nichols played for Spurrier for three of his five seasons at Florida, including the 1991 SEC Championship season.

jbcarol

..."Good" Bo Wallace

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/850020782940049409

QuoteSo if you were to put on a "March Badness" contest to see which of 16 SEC quarterbacks were the "best good bad quarterback" in league history, as SBNation's And the Valley Shook did, it's conceivable that Wallace would  make the list. And make it, he did. All the way to the finals vs. former Kentucky QB Jared Lorenzen.

In fact, as of the time of this publication, Wallace was leading the voting 54 percent to 46 percent.

Upon reading the news that he was up for this dubious honor, Wallace– now the QB coach at East Mississippi Community College– took to Twitter on Thursday morning to defend his playing legacy after some "experts" tried to claim that neither he nor Lorenzen was actually good enough to be in the "best good bad" contest.

jbcarol

...Ashley Ward

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/852214769620791296

QuoteYou know her simply as the girl who tried to catch a kick off only to be hit in the face during the Auburn-LSU game last season.

Ashley Ward was featured on Tosh.0 where she relived catching a ball with her face during the Auburn-LSU game, said "Bammers are Bammers" in response to the Toomer's Oaks being poisoned and had a message for Alabama coach Nick Saban.

Ward, a photographer working that game in September, tried to field - from her knees - a third-quarter Daniel Carlson kick that sailed out of the end zone. The result was getting hit in the face on national television.

Daniel Tosh brought the viral story back in his "Web Redemption" series:

"I made a bet with the managers on the football team that I would be able catch the ball," Ward explained. "The kicker at Auburn kicks it to the same spot every time, so I sat there and waited for it."

What happened next is the stuff of viral videos.

Down on two knees, she misjudged the ball and it caught her in the face, knocking her over in front of thousands.

Among his comments:

"It could've been worse, she could've been at Baylor."

When Tosh asked her "other than going to Auburn what other bad decisions have you made?" She replied "coming on this show."

jbcarol

...Louis Murphy

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/852506136632848384

QuoteMurphy was arrested at the Tampa International Airport on Wednesday morning after being stopped at a security checkpoint with an alleged concealed firearm in tow. He was charged with one count of carrying a concealed weapon.

Per the report, Murphy was detained by airport police for more than three hours before ultimately being released on $2,000 bond. He had a loaded Glock in a backpack as he tried to go through security, reportedly without a permit.

The former Gators wide receiver has had a tough go of it lately. He missed the 2016 NFL season while recovering from a knee injury suffered in 2015, and was ultimately released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers late in the season.

He also made headlines last summer after being locked in a museum after a wedding for a former Gators teammate.

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/852511868153454593

jbcarol

...Senquez Golson

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell 5h5 hours ago

Senquez Golson says trying to board plane with gun was 'honest mistake'

Steelers cornerback Senquez Golson was released by the Mobile Regional Airport after security found an unloaded Glock .45-caliber pistol in his carry-on bag

QuoteCarrying a gun inside an airport is permitted in Alabama, but Golson will be subject to a fine from TSA. This routine happens frequently in the Mobile airport, Fillingim said.

Fillingim wasn't sure offhand why Golson had the gun or whether he owned a permit, but his staff noted Golson was "outstanding" to deal with and "very apologetic" about the incident.

Golson, a second-round draft pick by the Steelers in 2015, hasn't played an NFL down while recovering from a torn labrum and a Lisfranc injury.

jbcarol

... Randall "Tenn" Cobb

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/854035156121903104

QuoteCobb married Aiyda Ghahramani on Saturday during a formal ceremony in New York City.

"I'm excited to have the people we love most, together, in the same room to celebrate our union," Cobb tied The Knot. "I'm very lucky to marry my best friend and spend the rest of my life with her."

https://twitter.com/theknot/status/853382699964407809

jbcarol

...former Florida DT Ray McDonald

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/854059058801901569

QuoteProsecutors had to drop the charges after the alleged victim decided not to testify, according to The Mercury News' Tracey Kaplan. McDonald recently reached a civil settlement with the woman, which will pay her $100,000. A Santa Clara County Superior Court judge dismissed the case Monday morning.

The woman had accused McDonald of sexually assaulting her at his home in San Jose, Calif., in December 2014. She claimed she slipped and fell on the deck by his pool and fell unconscious. According to her, McDonald then took her to his bedroom and raped her.

McDonald was released by the 49ers shortly after the alleged incident. He signed with the Chicago Bears in March 2015, but was released in May following his arrest on domestic violence charges.

McDonald played at Florida from 2003-2006.

jbcarol

...Cyrus Kouandjio

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/855141625676386304

QuotePolice found Kouandjio on Tuesday in a field not fully clothed after he climbed over an electric fence. The incident happened not far from the site of an accident on Route 400.

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/855128506589753344

jbcarol

...Glen Coffee

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/855978377844596736

QuoteFormer Alabama standout Glen Coffee's agent confirmed on Saturday what the NFL transactions wire seemed to indicate on Friday: His client will attempt a comeback after seven seasons out of football.

Coffee left the San Francisco 49ers during training camp in August 2010. He joined the U.S. Army in 2013, but recently left the military.

"He feels like he served and now the time is right."
-- agent Duray Oubre

Coffee will turn 30 years old on May 1. He's been training with Johnny Jackson at JDPI Sports Performance in Northport, Oubre said.

"I can tell you, he's in great shape," Oubre said. "The man doesn't have a six-pack, he's got a 12-pack. ... "

jbcarol

...Caleb Brantley

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/856230082305773569

QuoteBrantley and the woman had gotten into an altercation and after the woman pushed Brantley. The former Florida defensive tackle responded by allegedly punching the woman in the face with a closed fist. The woman was knocked unconscious and the punch dislodged the woman's tooth.

Brantley's response was not considered self-defense but retaliation per the report.
Brantley was expected to be a second or third round pick in the upcoming NFL draft

From 2015:
Florida DT Caleb Brantley & RB Adam Lane cited for dining and dashing:
http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/7/25/9039365/caleb-brantley-adam-lane-cited-misdemeanor-bowling-alley-not-paying ... #FulmerCup

Caleb Brantley ‏@RichYungg57 Aug 1

Gotta stay hungry ‼️ you either gone eat or starve ‼️

jbcarol

...Sam Irwin-Hill

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/857377911178964992

QuoteDallas Cowboys are open to some competition at punter.

They signed former Arkansas punter Sam Irwin-Hill on Wednesday.

Irwin-Hill was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Indianapolis Colts in 2015, and also spent time with them during the 2016 offseason.

The native of Australia has never punted in an NFL game.

jbcarol

...George Adams

'Crazy' competitive George, Jamal Adams join exclusive father-son company in NFL Draft

Former LSU safety's father suffered horrific injury after he was picked in the first round of the 1985 draft

QuotePHILADELPHIA — George and Jamal don't watch football games together.

They can't. They're too competitive.

There was the time when Jamal bowled a 299 — that's one short of a perfect score, if you didn't know — and his mother framed the scorecard. George saw the frame, got so upset that he left the house and headed to the bowling alley for practice.

George Adams, once a hard-nosed running back from Kentucky, was the 19th overall pick of the 1985 draft. Jamal Adams, an aggressive, speedy safety who grew up in Texas.

A guy from the "projects" of Lexington, Kentucky, who rose to stardom for the Wildcats before a horrific injury severely crippled a once-promising career.

"My career didn't go the way that I wanted it to go," George said, "but I thank God I was able to play."

George Adams keeps drinking straws in his vehicle at all times.

He doesn't use them for drinking.

"I bite on them for pain," he said. "That may sound crazy."

George Adams can't run. He can't jog.

It's painful to drive, and even laying in bed hurts. In reality, he needs a cane to walk, but he hides that from others, only using it in the privacy of his home.

"You know," he says, "the macho man deal."

A titanium rod serves as George's femur, the upper leg bone running from the knee and connecting at the hip. George's femur died long ago. It dried up and cracked, depleted of nutrients.

The blood vessels meant to deliver those nutrients were ripped from the femur during a collision at the start of George's second year as a pro. His femur ball, of the ball-and-socket joint in the hip, was yanked from its socket — a similar injury, but less publicized, to the one Bo Jackson suffered in 1991. It was so similar that Jackson's agent phoned George's agent for advice, George said.

George is a boy from the projects of Lexington, where his truck-driving father wasn't often around. He grew up near a seedy park playing football and basketball and declining countless invitations to sell drugs.

George used to tell those boys, "One day, I'm going to be somebody."

" 'You ain't going to be nobody,' " George said they told him. " 'You in the projects.' I said, 'You wait and see.' "

George, then 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, averaged 4.3 yards a carry over four years at Kentucky. He accounted for more than 1,400 yards from scrimmage as a senior..

then-Giants coach Bill Parcells described George as "big, strong and durable, and he can run quite a bit, block and catch the ball." Parcells and George still talk monthly to this day.

In fact, Parcells has helped in spreading the word to NFL personnel about Jamal's abilities.

Jamal has the energy and leadership ability of his father, Michelle says.

And, yes, she says, in many ways, George is living through Jamal, hoping his career stretches much deeper than his own. In fact, it became almost impossible to sit through one of Jamal's games with George.

In the middle of the LSU parents seating section, a screaming George tried his best to be his son's coach.

"He's doing the signs and stuff," said Michelle, who missed just one of Jamal's 37 college games. "George thinks Jamal is looking at him. I tell him, 'You can put up your gear. You're done playing. This is Jamal's time.' "

His time was almost exactly 32 years ago.

George was playing intramural basketball and once put a "Globetrotter" move on a couple of guys that had them flying over each other like real-life Washington Generals.  George had asked them earlier what was the name of their team ("Masons" as in brick-layers) and they said "Georgia Bulldogs" who had whipped UK earlier that year. Fired him up.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 03, 2012, 03:34:48 pm
Whatever happened to the PG who led Ole Miss to their first ever NCAA tournament appearance and first SEC basketball tournament championship?

Sean Tuohy played for his father Skeets at Isidore Newman in New Orleans. After the coach suffered a stroke, Tuohy's tuition was still paid but his family experienced hard times. Tuohy learned that the free or reduced lunch program did not extend to private schools.

Tuohy saw basketball as his education and his way out. His experience at Ole Miss while accomplished was miserable during Coach Bob Weltlich's reign of terror.

Today, Tuohy is part of the broadcast team for the Memphis Grizzlies and is a franchise owner for nearly 100 restaurants in the Yum! brands family. He also serves as as an assistant coach specializing in encouragement and life counseling at Briarcrest near Memphis. Tuohy has set up lunch accounts for needy student-athletes due to his personal experience that when you are focused on food your energy is drained from studies and athletic achievement.

Still the SEC's all-time leader in assists, Sean Tuohy's greatest assists have come during his life after basketball.

... Big Mike

Former Tennessee Titans football player Michael Oher, whose journey to the NFL is memorialized in the film "The Blind Side," has been booked into a Nashville jail.

Oher was ordered to be booked after he was charged with misdemeanor assault in the early morning of April 14. Nashville police said Oher pushed and kicked his Uber driver over an apparent dispute with the fare.

QuoteOher is now an offensive tackle for the Carolina Panthers. He played for the Titans in 2014, before the Titans released him less than one year into a four-year contract.

jbcarol

...Rolando McClain

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/863142927412977664

QuoteMcClain was taken to the Morgan County Jail. Bail was set at $2,000.

McClain has not played football since the final game of the 2015 NFL season with the Dallas Cowboys. He was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2016 season for violating the NFL's Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse.

Just 11 days after that suspension ended, McClain was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for again running afoul of the league's substance-abuse policy.

McClain also missed the first four games of the 2015 NFL season on suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

McClain was a prep football and basketball star for Decatur before earning the 2009 Butkus Award while playing for Alabama's BCS national-championship team.

McClain was the eighth player selected in the 2010 NFL Draft, going to the Oakland Raiders. He played his final game as a Raider on Nov. 25, 2012, and didn't play in another NFL regular-season game for 642 days.

McClain was arrested in Decatur three times between Dec. 1, 2011, and April 21, 2013. All the legal issues associated with McClain's previous arrests have been resolved.

Should take a hint about windon tint.

jbcarol

...Knile Davis

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/863535162533044224

QuoteDavis had his best season at Arkansas as a sophomore in 2010 when he amassed 1,282 rushing yards on 204 carries. For his efforts, Davis was selected first-team All-SEC.

Davis was selected in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. Prior to signing with the Steelers this March, Davis also played for the Green Bay Packers and New York Jets.

https://twitter.com/CoachTimHorton/status/863391263550308353

jbcarol

...Yale Lary

https://twitter.com/BrentZwerneman/status/863070086994722818

QuoteYale Lary, Texas A&M's only representative in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, died Friday at his home in Fort Worth. He was 86.

Lary, who lettered in football and baseball at A&M, was a third-round selection of the Detroit Lions in the 1952 NFL draft. He played safety and punted for the Lions over 11 seasons, finishing with 50 interceptions and averaging 44.3 yards per punt.

He helped Detroit win three NFL championships and was a nine-time Pro Bowler in a career that was interrupted by his service in the U.S. Army in 1954-55.

Pro Football Hall of Fame president David Baker called Lary a "true American hero."

jbcarol

...Former Kentucky staff member Leon Smith

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864239898408226817

QuoteLeon Smith, a former staff member for the University of Kentucky basketball program, pleaded not guilty today on accusations of defrauding athletes of nearly $1.3 million on Monday in the U.S. District Court in Lexington.

Earlier in May, Smith was indicted on federal charges of money laundering and aggravated identity theft. The indictment also states that Smith was involved in "devising a scheme to defraud and obtain money and property from clients by means of false pretenses.

Smith served in various roles for the Kentucky athletic department, including as director of men's basketball operations under Tubby Smith and, of course, Billy Gillispie.

As the founder of LSMG LLC, Legacy Pro Management Group LLC, and Legacy Athlete Management LLC, Smith was involved in providing former student-athletes, including former Kentucky basketball player Josh Harrelson, assistance in various roles such as real estate purchases, financial planning, and legal needs.

Harrelson, who was drafted by the New York Knicks in the second round of the 2011 NBA Draft and currently plays professionally in Japan, has claimed that Smith lost $180,00 [sic] to Smith.

Smith, a wide receiver for the Wildcats from 1993-95, resigned from his position as assistant athletic director in 2010. He also worked under current Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart.

jbcarol

...Darren McFadden

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864205992401276928

QuoteDallas Cowboys running back Darren McFadden has filed a second lawsuit in Arkansas over the management of his finances against Michael Vick.

McFadden alleges that Vick misused millions of dollars and mishandled his job responsibilities. Vick served as McFadden's business manager and financial adviser.

Vick has denied the allegations.

jbcarol

...Auburn DT Roy Tatum

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/864629061435392000

QuoteRoy Tatum, 72, says he almost got the Bo Duke gig in The Dukes of Hazzard. They called him in for three auditions, but eventually went with a much younger, much blonder John Schneider. He wound up as FBI Agent #3...

These days, Tatum's only connection to showbiz is Christian broadcasting on mission trips to central and South America with his Marietta, Ga. church, and occasional appearances on Friends and Neighbors, a Christian TV show produced in Atlanta and hosted by his wife, Sherry. He and Sherry currently live in Cartersville, Ga. They're both ordained ministers. They actually met in Opelika, on the set of Norma Rae (1979). Sherry was Velma Stockhouse, the woman who faints right before the vote to unionize. Roy played Woodrow Bowser, one of the mill bosses...

... and Bart Raynolds, the role that launched his career.

"Yeah, Bart Raynolds" he laughs. "I mean, I wasn't going to forge the man's name."

But he had to do something. Because when the cast broke for dinner on his first day on set, a squealing mob was outside waiting, and not for Sally Field.

"I walked out there and all the gals came," Tatum says. "I'm not saying I'm anybody. They're just assuming, because Sally Field was there, that I'm the guy (Burt Reynolds)."

The Guy and Field had just started dating. That the Guy was popping into town to see his new girlfriend was no secret. Opelika was abuzz.

"There's, like, 15 girls there and I'm thinking that I've walked into something here that I might not be able to back away from," Tatum says. "They're wanting autographs, and I'm like, how am I going to get out of this?"

Tatum was used to stares, especially out in L.A. But he could usually convince his waitress--except that one in Montgomery that time; "just don't tell anyone I'm in town,"

His senior season, 1967, was by far his best. He finished with 45 individual tackles and 49 assists, good enough for second for Auburn's Headhunter award--and frequent praise from Auburn head coach Shug Jordan.

"From the start of fall practice until the end of the season, Roy Tatum was the biggest surprise on the defensive unit," Jordan told a reporter. "He gave us a great effort every week and graded higher than anyone else in the defensive line."