Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mark Gottfried will be canned. He started at NC State the same year CMA...

Started by Tim, February 14, 2017, 07:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

... started at Arkansas.

NC State made 4 Tournaments, winning one game in two appearances and making the Sweet 16 in the other two.

Arkansas will be lucky to make a 2nd NCAA tournament in CMA's 6th year.

Discuss... 

EDIT: changed "just got" to "will be" in the subject.  I was duped by the biased media.  Alternative facts to the rescue. 

hawg66

Champs04

The_Iceman

hogsanity

Quote from: hawg66 on February 14, 2017, 07:45:26 am
Okay....So glad we don't have Mark Gottfried as our coach

yea it would have been terrible to have been in the ncaat all those extra times, messing up our March's when we could be doing other things like watching good college teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 14, 2017, 08:14:52 am
Why did he get fired? Am I missing something?

He hasn't been fired, but they are 14-12 overall and 3-10 in the ACC this season and three of those ACC losses have been by at least 25 points.

bp

Hawg Red

This season and last season have both been pretty rough for the Wolfpack. The two years before that, they won 22 games each season with 9 and 10 ACC wins, respectively (although they went to the Sweet 16 one of those years). Gottfried had good success his first 4 years, but they do seem to be getting off track these last couple. The ACC is a basketball conference, so I'm sure there is added pressure to stay relevant. Possible Gregg Marshall landing spot?

Tim

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2017, 08:45:51 am
This season and last season have both been pretty rough for the Wolfpack. The two years before that, they won 22 games each season with 9 and 10 ACC wins, respectively (although they went to the Sweet 16 one of those years). Gottfried had good success his first 4 years, but they do seem to be getting off track these last couple. The ACC is a basketball conference, so I'm sure there is added pressure to stay relevant. Possible Gregg Marshall landing spot?
Rumors are they are setting their sight on Archie Miller.

porkinsons disease

Obviously they are more serious about winning than we are.

He must not have struck gold with the 18th ranked recruiting class

Not a nostalgia hire

Not punkin' them

Does not build his staff with friends and family

Did not pick them up off the bus

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Razorbackers

Quote from: Tim on February 14, 2017, 08:52:21 am

As they should. He should be our #1 target if Mike gets canned.

And if they hire Miller, Gottfried should be a candidate here as well. Along with whoever else.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 14, 2017, 08:55:37 am
As they should. He should be our #1 target if Mike gets canned.

And if they hire Miller, Gottfried should be a candidate here as well. Along with whoever else.

Archie might not want to return Home!! Just ask Mike Anderson

Atlhogfan1

NC St hasn't done much since Valvano.  A few seasons where they managed to win a couple of games in the NCAAT.  Lots of mediocre seasons with double digit losses.  You do have to take into consideration the conference they are in.

NC St tried their nostalgia hire once.  Fortunate for them, they got something definitive within 4 years and moved on.  Then they hired a coach to do a job.  Nothing more.  And when he isn't meeting what standards they think he should, they appear to be moving on. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

NC State has a Top 5 projected pick in next year's NBA draft. Interesting how getting top picks at LSU, Washington, and NC State hasn't exactly turned to more wins.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: Tim on February 14, 2017, 08:52:21 am
Then they are smart and we are not. We will get to see the same ole crap next year with Anderson Im sure.

nwahogfan1

I would think it would be much harder to win at NC St than here in Arkansas.  ACC eats good coaches.  It is a tough league.  SEC is a Kentucky league with maybe one or two more near the top but the rest of us are average or below.  But do those loser ADs really care because they have the SEC football money.  YIPPEE

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2017, 09:19:37 am
NC State has a Top 5 projected pick in next year's NBA draft. Interesting how getting top picks at LSU, Washington, and NC State hasn't exactly turned to more wins.

Definitely a lack of coaching ability to LSU and Washington, those Simmons was going to be a poor fit most places because of his own attitude. I think Kentucky might have been the only place where he could have really played up to his potential. Gottfried has never struck me as a strong coach, though I'd kill for the Hogs to have some of the success that's on his resume considering what we've been dealing with, but that kid they have is just not as good as advertised. You see that sometimes with foreign players (kid at Kansas comes to mind).

Mr. Porkleone

FineAsSwine

Tough break for Mark. Not only is it tough to win in the ACC, it's even tougher to win in your own state when you have Duke, NC and Wake to contend with.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

hogsanity

So, assuming he is gone, a coach makes the ncaat 4 times in 5 years ( this being his 6th ) in a very tough league, and he gets fired. Meanwhile, in a putrid league, go once in 5 years, and be on the edge of the bubble while trying to hold on with pins for gloves, and you have people wanting to keep you for 2+ more years. Anyone else see the problem here?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

navyhog24

Yeah, they don't have Jeff Long. We're stuck with this bozo to put it kindly.

jst01

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 10:16:46 am
So, assuming he is gone, a coach makes the ncaat 4 times in 5 years ( this being his 6th ) in a very tough league, and he gets fired. Meanwhile, in a putrid league, go once in 5 years, and be on the edge of the bubble while trying to hold on with pins for gloves, and you have people wanting to keep you for 2+ more years. Anyone else see the problem here?

We know it doesn't matter if ANYONE see's the problem..It matters if the ONE guy that can do something sees the problem. I don't think JL is feeling any real heat (yet) about Mike this year. I'd bet he shrugs his shoulders at this season and waits til next year to decide if Mike stays or goes.

hogsanity

Quote from: jst01 on February 14, 2017, 11:05:06 am
We know it doesn't matter if ANYONE see's the problem..It matters if the ONE guy that can do something sees the problem. I don't think JL is feeling any real heat (yet) about Mike this year. I'd bet he shrugs his shoulders at this season and waits til next year to decide if Mike stays or goes.

well, if JL is feeling no heat it means either no one sees the problem or cares enough to voice their opinion.

Jim Harris

Maybe Long can ask CMA to bring Gottfried aboard as an assistant, bolster recruiting. Gottfried always did less with more. Mike could use the talent. At that same time, maybe Kapita can transfer over to UA too and finish his college career here. That would all be a laugh.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

lynbug

They're crazy if they fire Mark Gottfried.  He did revive their program and he did it fairly quickly.

jst01

Quote from: hogsanity on February 14, 2017, 11:07:37 am
well, if JL is feeling no heat it means either no one sees the problem or cares enough to voice their opinion.

I just think that the people that do care and will make a change happen feel like "whats the hurry?"  We already don't make the tourney consistently, we haven't been relevant in almost 2 decades so how will waiting one more year put the program in any worse shape than its current state? The decision makers may realize that one more season of slightly declining tickets sales wont be so detrimental to the Department that it will force a change now.

BRHogfan

Well, it didn't hurt that Sydney Lowe brought in three five star players the season before they brought on Gottfried.  That kind of momentum helps a lot.  Mike had a good class coming in as well, but Mark got those guys as sophomores.

Gottfried also had a losing season last year and are currently in the midst of a 5-game losing streak.  2 things that have not happened to Mike Anderson. 

BRHogfan

It's a lot easier to can a coach who has you 2nd to last right now and had you 3rd to last last season than it is to can a coach that has you in 4th place in  your conference right now.

jst01

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 14, 2017, 11:20:02 am

Gottfried also had a losing season last year and are currently in the midst of a 5-game losing streak.  2 things that have not happened to Mike Anderson. 

losing streaks and losing seasons should be talked about in context of the conference and opponents each coach plays against.

BRHogfan

Quote from: jst01 on February 14, 2017, 11:22:29 am
losing streaks and losing seasons should be talked about in context of the conference and opponents each coach plays against.

2015-16 SOS
Arkansas 73
NC State 50

2016-17 SOS
Arkansas 83
NC State 48

As another note.  Stanford had a Top 5 SOS schedule last year with a 14-15 record and their coach got fired. 

jst01

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 14, 2017, 11:26:36 am
2015-16 SOS
Arkansas 73
NC State 50

2016-17 SOS
Arkansas 83
NC State 48

As another note.  Stanford had a Top 5 SOS schedule last year with a 14-15 record and their coach got fired. 

OK. I guess my stance is that it doesn't matter that Anderson has the team in 4th place this year. The conf stinks. Anyone really paying attention knows that the trend in talent, team performance and consistency is enough evidence to move to a different coach if the powers decided to do so.

Razorbackers

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 14, 2017, 11:04:46 am
Yeah, they don't have Jeff Long. We're stuck with this bozo to put it kindly.

Do you want Long to fire him in the middle of the season? lol

BRHogfan

Quote from: jst01 on February 14, 2017, 11:58:26 am
OK. I guess my stance is that it doesn't matter that Anderson has the team in 4th place this year. The conf stinks. Anyone really paying attention knows that the trend in talent, team performance and consistency is enough evidence to move to a different coach if the powers decided to do so.

I hope Jeff Long is not as reactionary as I am.

I wanted to fire Mike Anderson during the first half of the LSU game, but they won.

Despite losing to Mizzou and Vanderbilt, if this team accomplishes the goals they set at the beginning of the season then Jeff Long and Mike will have an end of the season meeting that results in Jeff not firing Mike.  If the team falls short of those goals, then Jeff and Mike will have an unpleasant conversation that might end up in mike getting fired or might end up with him sticking around.

We don't even know what Jeff and Mike's goals were at the beginning of the season. It is doubtful that they said Sweet 16 or you're fired.  Their goals probably didn't include a set list of teams they could and couldn't lose to. 

jst01

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 14, 2017, 12:05:46 pm
I hope Jeff Long is not as reactionary as I am.

I wanted to fire Mike Anderson during the first half of the LSU game, but they won.

Despite losing to Mizzou and Vanderbilt, if this team accomplishes the goals they set at the beginning of the season then Jeff Long and Mike will have an end of the season meeting that results in Jeff not firing Mike.  If the team falls short of those goals, then Jeff and Mike will have an unpleasant conversation that might end up in mike getting fired or might end up with him sticking around.

We don't even know what Jeff and Mike's goals were at the beginning of the season. It is doubtful that they said Sweet 16 or you're fired.  Their goals probably didn't include a set list of teams they could and couldn't lose to. 

I think the goal had to be at a minimum, to make the NCAA tourney. I mean with all the bragging Mike and others did about landing 3 of the top 5 Juco players, surely they had expectations to at least make the tourney.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BRHogfan

DeltaBoy

If they fire Mark NC State a fool.  He done great for being the the ACC!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 16, 2017, 03:20:38 pm
If they fire Mark NC State a fool.  He done great for being the the ACC!

Guess NC State a fool then, he gone. Will coach remainder of the season and then pack his bags. He is officially outta there!

DLUXHOG

Fudgeeeeee....... y'all are confusing NC State with UNC I think.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 16, 2017, 07:05:03 pm
Guess NC State a fool then, he gone. Will coach remainder of the season and then pack his bags. He is officially outta there!

Shame on them.  He will land somewhere.

husker71

especially if he can take his assistants, Orlando Early and Butch Pierre and Heath Schroyer with him.   I llke that staff

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Tim on February 14, 2017, 07:42:57 am
... started at Arkansas.

NC State made 4 Tournaments, winning one game in two appearances and making the Sweet 16 in the other two.

Arkansas will be lucky to make a 2nd NCAA tournament in CMA's 6th year.

Discuss... 

EDIT: changed "just got" to "will be" in the subject.  I was duped by the biased media.  Alternative facts to the rescue. 

Okay.... so what? Join the masses in "monkey see, monkey do"?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

husker71

NC State is living and hoping since in 1974   we are only living and hoping since 1994

passinghog

NC State overrates the quality of their job. When was the last time they truly had a great season? 1983, and they lost 10 games that season. It's just good a job.

The last season they didn't finish with at least 10 losses was the 1988-89 season.