Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 09:56:10 am

Tom Cotton & Tony Kornheiser

Started by Grizzlyfan, January 30, 2017, 02:12:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzlyfan

None other than our very own Tom Cotton sitting in on the Tony Kornheiser podcast this morning.  Surrounded by a bunch of DC liberals it was interesting. 

DeltaBoy

LOL I bet that was interesting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

I've listened to Kornheiser for quite a while and I will say that Cotton has received mentions a few times over the year.  Kornheiser has expressed some genuine fascination (if not quite admiration) for Cotton's biography.  Arkansas to Harvard to the Army to Iraq to the Senate.

The first few minutes of the podcast he allowed Cotton to expound on his background and then brought him in later for some politics talk.  It will be interesting to see if he becomes a regular.

WaltKowalski

PorkSoda

Quote from: WaltKowalski on January 30, 2017, 05:29:05 pm
Cotton may be President one day
wonder how he will react when rogue members of congress write letters to foreign countries undermining his foreign policy?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

whosiskid

Quote from: WaltKowalski on January 30, 2017, 05:29:05 pm
Cotton may be President one day

Very unlikely. He has zero national constituency and it is hard to see how he could build one. Plus, I think it is going to be really tough for right wing candidates to get elected in the future. Trump is doing a lot to do something that 40 years of domination of US politics by right wing ideas failed to do: unify the left. It will hinge, to a degree, on whether the Democrats will move solidly to the Left or if the party structure will try to remain the-party-that-is-barely-to-the-left-of-the-GOP-but-miles-to-the-right-of-Eisenhower-and-Nixon. The American people are far to the left of the Democratic party, but they will do nothing to try and cease being the party of Wall Street and be the party of main street.

It is still possible for a Republican to get elected, but only under certain circumstances, such as:

The Democrats must have ignored the bottom 90% for decades
The Republicans must run a celebrity
The Democrats must run a spectacularly unpopular candidate who beats the Republican by only three million in popular votes
A foreign government with video tape proving the Republican candidate's fascination with Miss must engage in electronic espionage to help elect the candidate they plan on blackmailing
The FBI must manipulate the news cycle in weeks and months with a single issue against the Democratic candidate in order to gain vote for the Republican

Will the Democrats ever run a candidate as unpopular as Hillary again? Not likely.  Some of the rest might happen again, but no one will ever mistake Cotton for a celebrity.

Now, it is possible for Cotton to become the candidate of choice for many who supported Trump this time around, but I think this is the last hiccup of the far right. Unless . . . the Democratic National Committee refuses to become a party of the people again. The American people want someone to speak for an fight for them, and not just for the wealth. But there simply is no scenario where Tom Cotton lasting in the primaries for more than the first two or three primaries is imaginable. You might as well think of someone like Jeff Sessions becoming president. Arkansas is one of the few states that would elect someone as marginal as Cotton.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

ricepig

whosiskid

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 30, 2017, 06:08:36 pm
wonder how he will react when rogue members of congress write letters to foreign countries undermining his foreign policy?

In my post I should have added that Cotton is also killing even the minuscule chance he might have had by backing Trump. His statement backing Trump on the traveling ban was probably his death knell as a national politician.

One other thing on the traveling ban: my bet is that the supreme court would overturn Trump on a 7-1 and maybe even 8-0 vote. Thomas is the only justice I can even remotely imagine voting to support Trump. Even Trump's own cabinet is failing to back him.

I think the big effect of all this will be to isolate Steve Bannon. Trump loves Bannon but apart from old Breitbart readers Bannon is not someone who has a base in Washington. Outside of Washington he is backed by billionaire Robert Mercer, but I doubt that Bannon will last very long. His views are simply toxic. I think GOP Congressional leaders, who are abandoning Trump on all of his policy issues, will eventually let Trump know: Its us or Bannon, and if you don't go with us, you'll never get a single piece of legislation passed. Nobody in Washington owes Bannon any favors.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Cubbie08

Quote from: whosiskid on January 30, 2017, 06:18:07 pm
Very unlikely. He has zero national constituency and it is hard to see how he could build one. Plus, I think it is going to be really tough for right wing candidates to get elected in the future. Trump is doing a lot to do something that 40 years of domination of US politics by right wing ideas failed to do: unify the left. It will hinge, to a degree, on whether the Democrats will move solidly to the Left or if the party structure will try to remain the-party-that-is-barely-to-the-left-of-the-GOP-but-miles-to-the-right-of-Eisenhower-and-Nixon. The American people are far to the left of the Democratic party, but they will do nothing to try and cease being the party of Wall Street and be the party of main street.

It is still possible for a Republican to get elected, but only under certain circumstances, such as:

The Democrats must have ignored the bottom 90% for decades
The Republicans must run a celebrity
The Democrats must run a spectacularly unpopular candidate who beats the Republican by only three million in popular votes
A foreign government with video tape proving the Republican candidate's fascination with Miss must engage in electronic espionage to help elect the candidate they plan on blackmailing
The FBI must manipulate the news cycle in weeks and months with a single issue against the Democratic candidate in order to gain vote for the Republican

Will the Democrats ever run a candidate as unpopular as Hillary again? Not likely.  Some of the rest might happen again, but no one will ever mistake Cotton for a celebrity.

Now, it is possible for Cotton to become the candidate of choice for many who supported Trump this time around, but I think this is the last hiccup of the far right. Unless . . . the Democratic National Committee refuses to become a party of the people again. The American people want someone to speak for an fight for them, and not just for the wealth. But there simply is no scenario where Tom Cotton lasting in the primaries for more than the first two or three primaries is imaginable. You might as well think of someone like Jeff Sessions becoming president. Arkansas is one of the few states that would elect someone as marginal as Cotton.

Yeah, I seem to remember that back in 2008 lots of people said that Republicans will never be in power again. It swings back and forth, always has and always will.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!