Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worth Mentioning Again

Started by Oklahawg, March 09, 2015, 06:35:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

I am sure I have mentioned this before but I absolutely love the recruiting philosophy of this staff regarding visits.

Official visits are only provided for players with "for sure" commitable offers. Junior Days are organized so that there are no more than 1-2 players per position coach, giving players loads of good time with the coaches. Quite a contrast to the "cattle call" Junior Days at some schools where they load up as many as possible.

I do get the cattle call approach - get lots of good players around each other and they'll develop relationships with each other.

CBB and Co want to build relationships between recruits and coaches, and players and recruits.

It allows for lots of contact - coaches will know for sure if the player is a "good fit". Each player feels like they are "it" at their position.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Inspiration for re-posting: Capps being so close to committing may have inspired the staff to hold off on having two DT on the same weekend. Maybe not.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jcpack

Definitely a lot of psychology to the art of recruiting. What works well for some may not so well for others. I'm in sales and have witnessed others deliver pitches that made me cringe, yet they closed the deal. I think the key for our staff is that whatever approach we take is an approach that Coach B believes deep down inside to be the very best and he has an uncanny ability to convince all parties involved the same. His sincerity, which I consider to be undeniable is a key component to earning the trust of most anyone he encounters.

JIHawg

I like our whole approach to recruiting.  It's organized and appears to have a purpose and good planning and execution. 

Uncommon

Like the approach as well.  Just wish we could get a little bit more here.  Seemed like we brought in about 15-20.  Wish that number was 25-30.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Uncommon on March 09, 2015, 10:09:49 pm
Like the approach as well.  Just wish we could get a little bit more here.  Seemed like we brought in about 15-20.  Wish that number was 25-30.
All I ultimately care about are the results. Whether one invites 5, 10, 20, 50 or 100 at a time matters not. Whatever works best for the staff and the kids involved.

radar

Is this years approach different than year 1-2?

scruf

Quote from: radar on March 10, 2015, 12:07:26 am
Is this years approach different than year 1-2?
Same approach overall but the staff is getting a higher volume of visits from its top-tier targets when compared to years 1-2.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: scruf on March 10, 2015, 01:41:50 am
Same approach overall but the staff is getting a higher volume of visits from its top-tier targets when compared to years 1-2.
A total non surprise as far as that's concerned. With the foundation having been laid over the past couple of years, the major upgrade in the staff and the "uncommon man" approach having been established and displayed I have no doubt the overall quality of kids will continue to improve going forward.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: JIHawg on March 09, 2015, 09:53:59 pm
I like our whole approach to recruiting.  It's organized and appears to have a purpose and good planning and execution.
I agree. Recruiting was a sore subject before CBB arrived IMO.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

oldhawg

As a fan, it feels good to have high expectations once again.

blu

As a fan it feels to good to have high expectations that may really be realized.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 09, 2015, 06:36:55 pm
Inspiration for re-posting: Capps being so close to committing may have inspired the staff to hold off on having two DT on the same weekend. Maybe not.

Smh