Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WWE Network

Started by Boll Hawg, January 09, 2014, 10:12:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boll Hawg

Anyone see the announcement last night for the new WWE Network? I think it's awesome.  I'm sold!   

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/wwe-set-launch-247-network-february-21470618
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Eddie Goodson

Anyone how buys monthly PPV's would be insane to not do this deal. All PPVs included at no extra charge. I'm going to subscribe myself. At least for several months.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Boll Hawg

I believe when you initially sign up they require you to commit to their service for 6 months.  I'll gladly pay the $10/mo for that ton of content + free PPV's.  It's going to save avid wrestling fans hundreds of dollars a year.  Just got to have a quick internet connection!

hawgs34

Doesn't the first six months cover Wrestlemania pay per view?  If so that pays for the service right there.  Very excited that they finally got this together. 

Nipsey Mussle

Yeah anyone who was going to order WM anyway should be thrilled with this.

This is awesome, I'll be subscribing on Feb 24th.

Doug

I hope they come out with an annual subscription plan. I tweeted the WWE to not Vince McMahon it up, to give a discount on yearly payments. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Douglas on January 10, 2014, 06:14:06 am
I hope they come out with an annual subscription plan. I tweeted the WWE to not Vince McMahon it up, to give a discount on yearly payments. :)
They probably feel like the mandatory 6 month commitment already takes care of that.

Any guess how many subscribers? I'm betting they'll have over 3 million by the end of their first year. Of course, that's working on the premise that they don't jack the price up after the first 6 mos.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: hawgs34 on January 09, 2014, 11:35:41 pm
Doesn't the first six months cover Wrestlemania pay per view?  If so that pays for the service right there.  Very excited that they finally got this together.

Yep, it covers Wrestlemania.  I just wish I could already subscribe so I could get the upcoming Royal Rumble for cheap.  That's the only PPV I order every year.   

Doug

Quote from: BBsTheManThey probably feel like the mandatory 6 month commitment already takes care of that.
That's a monthly payment cycle with a minimum 6 month commitment. What I'm talking about is a yearly payment cycle with a 10 to 20% discount for prepaying for a year. Most businesses offer stuff like that.

Quote from: BBsTheManAny guess how many subscribers? I'm betting they'll have over 3 million by the end of their first year. Of course, that's working on the premise that they don't jack the price up after the first 6 mos.
Their breakeven point is 1 million subscribers. They're estimating that they'll have 2 to 4 million subscribers within the first two years.  The same people that brought the MLB TV network are the people behind the WWE Network, so if they're using the same (or very similar) platforms, you know it's going to be done right. And yes, this puts the initial investment pricetag at $10m.

WWE has already said that they're planning on keeping the subscription service at $9.99/mo, even after the initial commitment.

Obviously, as already indicated, this means that people are going to have to have a high speed connection with little to no packet loss.

I've been boycotting WWE's pay per views because of the degrading quality of the matches and the ever increasing bullcrap fees to watch this.

What's really interesting (and telling, which puts TV service providers on notice) is the fact that the WWE came short of outright disparaging the PPV concept... said it's a dying platform and that by having an online service that it allows for far more interactivity with its viewers (think of all the fan voting mechanisms currently available with the WWE App... and have it integrated with watching a live event... not to mention a faster way to grab some comments from fans and display them across the entire network for a live event).

I would be willing to do a six month commitment to see where this goes. Just wish they were able to get this launched in time for the Royal Rumble, haha!
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Boll Hawg

In preparation of the WWE Network, I was playing around on my Roku last night & discovered that I can actually watch ESPN 3 on it!  No log-in, provider info required.  Love my Roku and am now thinking about adding another one.     

Eddie Goodson

Can you watch the ESPN3 games live? If so, you just sold me oon it too.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 10, 2014, 01:11:12 pm

Yessir!  Watched a live game on it last night. 

Eddie Goodson

Oh I'm sold then. I just need to decide if I need the HD Roku or SD one

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 10, 2014, 02:12:49 pm
Oh I'm sold then. I just need to decide if I need the HD Roku or SD one

I recently purchased my Roku 2 XS from newegg.com for $41 during a holiday special.  It was listed as refurbished, but looks and acts brand new.  My next purchase will be the Roku 3. 

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 10, 2014, 01:11:12 pm

On the Roku it's on the "Watch ESPN" channel that you'll have to add.  Once added you can open it and browse through the available games.  There was like 3 games being televised last night that I could choose from.  I tried all 3 and they worked. 

Eddie Goodson

$41 and I'd be able to watch WWE net on it too. I'd be a dummy not to do it.

I've bought the wife several pieces of jewelry the last theee months. I'm sure I have sufficient capital built up I can swing all this with little blow back.

Boll Hawg

Here's some good info on the Roku:

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/11/12/watchespn-watch-disney-channel-and-more/

I never logged in or provided any tv provider information, but everything I'm seeing says the availability of services is based on who you have your tv service with.  I've got DirecTV and they don't even participate in the streaming.  It's just a weird situation, but it's working for me!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Douglas on January 10, 2014, 09:28:27 am
That's a monthly payment cycle with a minimum 6 month commitment. What I'm talking about is a yearly payment cycle with a 10 to 20% discount for prepaying for a year. Most businesses offer stuff like that.
Their breakeven point is 1 million subscribers. They're estimating that they'll have 2 to 4 million subscribers within the first two years.  The same people that brought the MLB TV network are the people behind the WWE Network, so if they're using the same (or very similar) platforms, you know it's going to be done right. And yes, this puts the initial investment pricetag at $10m.

WWE has already said that they're planning on keeping the subscription service at $9.99/mo, even after the initial commitment.

Obviously, as already indicated, this means that people are going to have to have a high speed connection with little to no packet loss.

I've been boycotting WWE's pay per views because of the degrading quality of the matches and the ever increasing bullcrap fees to watch this.

What's really interesting (and telling, which puts TV service providers on notice) is the fact that the WWE came short of outright disparaging the PPV concept... said it's a dying platform and that by having an online service that it allows for far more interactivity with its viewers (think of all the fan voting mechanisms currently available with the WWE App... and have it integrated with watching a live event... not to mention a faster way to grab some comments from fans and display them across the entire network for a live event).

I would be willing to do a six month commitment to see where this goes. Just wish they were able to get this launched in time for the Royal Rumble, haha!
I haven't ordered a ppv since WM 26. That's interesting though, and I don't see how 1 million subscribers will be a problem. Last year 1.1 million people ordered WM 29, I'm not sure why they wouldn't pay $10 a month to get all of the ppv's.
So 1 million subscribers gives them 10 mil per month and 60 mil for 6 months. I'm not sure about their costs, but that will be a much higher sum than their 3-4 million they presumably make off of non-WM ppv's each month. It's a great model, I hope it works b/c I'll love getting the ppv's each month.
I'm hoping my PS3 will allow me to stream these on the TV. It's supposed to, right?

Yeah if only this came before the Rumble! I don't see how anyone in good conscience can hand over 50 or 60 dollars for the Rumble knowing they can see the next 6 ppv's for that total amount.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: BBsTheMan on January 10, 2014, 02:33:31 pm
I haven't ordered a ppv since WM 26. That's interesting though, and I don't see how 1 million subscribers will be a problem. Last year 1.1 million people ordered WM 29, I'm not sure why they wouldn't pay $10 a month to get all of the ppv's.
So 1 million subscribers gives them 10 mil per month and 60 mil for 6 months. I'm not sure about their costs, but that will be a much higher sum than their 3-4 million they presumably make off of non-WM ppv's each month. It's a great model, I hope it works b/c I'll love getting the ppv's each month.
I'm hoping my PS3 will allow me to stream these on the TV. It's supposed to, right?

Yeah if only this came before the Rumble! I don't see how anyone in good conscience can hand over 50 or 60 dollars for the Rumble knowing they can see the next 6 ppv's for that total amount.
Yes. PS3 platform will work.

Eddie Goodson

Don't try signing up in a hurry. Their servers are big time overloaded. The network is great though once you get through. Being able to watch all the WCW ppvs all the way back to 1983 is awesome.

Boll Hawg

I'm signing up as soon as I get home from work today!  I'm a teacher and our security settings at school has all things WWE related blocked.  Netflix works though! 

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 24, 2014, 10:41:25 am
sounds interesting.
All ECW PPVs and WWE all the way back to WM1. I never got to see an ECW ppv. Going to probably start there first.

Eddie Goodson

There must be massive amounts of people online this afternoon. The network got extremely slow once school let out.

My first PPV to watch was the Bash at the Beach in 96 when Hogan turned. There were some really good magches that night Rey vs Psycosis to start was sn awesome match. I miss that Rey. Bobby Heenan was so stinking entertaining then. That place was electric.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on February 24, 2014, 04:38:19 pm
There must be massive amounts of people online this afternoon. The network got extremely slow once school let out.

My first PPV to watch was the Bash at the Beach in 96 when Hogan turned. There were some really good magches that night Rey vs Psycosis to start was sn awesome match. I miss that Rey. Bobby Heenan was so stinking entertaining then. That place was electric.

So funny - that is exactly the first thing I watched as well. I love Heenan spoiling it by saying "Who's side is he on?" You can hear Dusty say Waaaahht are you talking about? In a way where you just know Dusty wants to choke him.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Eddie Goodson

Heenan had several hilarious lines that night. Making fun of Tenay describing the wrestling moves of Rey and making fun of Dugan being crosseyed were only a couple.

Big Papa Satan

Those old luchador/cruiserweight matches are something to behold.

There was a PPV Malenko/Mysterio match around that time that had Dean winning with an insane top rope backbreaker.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 24, 2014, 10:03:56 pm
Those old luchador/cruiserweight matches are something to behold.

There was a PPV Malenko/Mysterio match around that time that had Dean winning with an insane top rope backbreaker.

I'll be digging through for some La Parka matches. :)
You were right.
You did a great job.
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Big Papa Satan

The Chairman!

One of my all-time favs was Ciclope vs Jericho at Slamboree in 1998.  The crowd pop when Ciclope unmasked rivaled anything Austin, Hogan, Rocky got.

Eddie Goodson

Still having trouble watching ppvs on Roku but the live channel is great. Have had it on since I got off work.

Got my first view of Sami Zayn. Wow. Can't wait to see him and Daniel Bryan or Ziggler in a match.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on February 26, 2014, 08:49:13 pm
Still having trouble watching ppvs on Roku but the live channel is great. Have had it on since I got off work.

Got my first view of Sami Zayn. Wow. Can't wait to see him and Daniel Bryan or Ziggler in a match.
I watched Starcade 97 when Sting fought Hogan and Nick Patrick screwed up the fast count. Been trying to watch Halloween Havoc with the Chamber of Horrors. Locks up everytime.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Eddie Goodson

WWE sent a email that they are working to resolve vod issues. They need to hurry.

Richard_white

Anyone having any problems getting all the raw shows?  They have 93 and 98 and oly a couple shows for that year.  I that all they are showing for raw?  Or is it too early?

Eddie Goodson

That's all they show now. Just watched the Tyson Showdown Raw. Have been watching 1997 through 1999 era. It really is something to see the growth of the Rock during that time and to relive the Austin/McMahon saga.

hvsupastar

I've already watched the 3 available legends of wrestling roundtable shows.  I hope they put all of them on therr
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

TomasPistola

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 01, 2014, 01:43:10 pm
I've already watched the 3 available legends of wrestling roundtable shows.  I hope they put all of them on therr

I have several of those on DVD believe it or not. I need to find em.
You were right.
You did a great job.

Eddie Goodson

Roku problems are fixed! WM 17 on tap for me. I cannot help but think how different the WWE would be right now had Shane McMahon not left the company. Shane was outstanding on the mic and in the ring as an owner personality. The corner to corner dropkick on Vince in WM17 was awesome for a fulltime wrestler let alone Shane.

ThrillaHog

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 01, 2014, 07:18:47 pm
Roku problems are fixed! WM 17 on tap for me. I cannot help but think how different the WWE would be right now had Shane McMahon not left the company. Shane was outstanding on the mic and in the ring as an owner personality. The corner to corner dropkick on Vince in WM17 was awesome for a fulltime wrestler let alone Shane.

I liked the match, but I was always a little upset that he stole Rob Van Damns move. Rob did that move in ECW and called it the "Van Terminator"

Boll Hawg

Looks like they finally got the Xbox issues resolved.  WWE sent me an e-mail with a $5 coupon to spend at the WWE shop.  I'm mainly watching on my 2 Roku's and haven't experienced any problems on them. 

Eddie Goodson

Legends of Wrestling programs have been great this week. They aired cena/Lesnar Extreme Rules ppv from a couple years back. Cena amd Lesnar match was excellent IMO. Cena took a beating that night.

hvsupastar

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 15, 2014, 06:57:14 am
Legends of Wrestling programs have been great this week. They aired cena/Lesnar Extreme Rules ppv from a couple years back. Cena amd Lesnar match was excellent IMO. Cena took a beating that night.

I totally expect Brock and Taker to tear the house down at mania
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Hogwop

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on February 28, 2014, 06:51:32 pm
That's all they show now. Just watched the Tyson Showdown Raw. Have been watching 1997 through 1999 era. It really is something to see the growth of the Rock during that time and to relive the Austin/McMahon saga.

I rewatched most of the RAWs from the 97-99 era a couple of years ago and I gotta tell ya, I got just as in to it as I did as a 14 y/o. Really do miss those days, but I've accepted that they aren't coming back anytime soon. I'll give WWE credit tho, the build up for WM30 has been fun to watch
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Richard_white

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 15, 2014, 06:57:14 am

The match wasnt bad at all. But you would be surprised that Cena used he weight to get Brock to put Cena over.