Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are there 15 shell limits on Grassy Lake and Bell Slough? Thanks!

Started by Michael Porkleone, December 30, 2008, 11:29:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Porkleone

December 30, 2008, 11:29:36 pm Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:33:52 pm by Michael Porkleone
i am looking for flooded timer if it is around. 

Also, last year we hicked about a mile on a levee into bayou meto and limited out really quickly.  I have no idea where we were and Bayou Meto is so large its hard to determine.

Any suggestions on places where I could hunt over the next few weekends?

Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

PintailKiller

Holland Bottoms out at Jacksonville or Bell Slough at Mayflower would be closest to you.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: PintailKiller on December 31, 2008, 10:21:13 am
Holland Bottoms out at Jacksonville or Bell Slough at Mayflower would be closest to you.

Either worth a visit?
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

ArrowsATC

Bell Slough is a few miles (driving) from my house...easily accessable but I can't attest to the level of flooding.  John Boat would make it better...walking in is doable....I can run over there and check the flood level for ya. There are mornings it sounds like WWIII from my house. 

IronHog

Quote from: ArrowsATC on January 01, 2009, 12:26:16 pm
Bell Slough is a few miles (driving) from my house...easily accessable but I can't attest to the level of flooding.  John Boat would make it better...walking in is doable....I can run over there and check the flood level for ya. There are mornings it sounds like WWIII from my house. 

We hunted there when I was in college at Conway, fun when there were flight ducks, but WAY too many public land goofballs.

The real hunting was on Grassy Lake over on Camp Robinson and you'll need a boat to get to the lake.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ArrowsATC

Iron Hog, I was looking on the AGFC topo for Lake Conway...there are areas bordering Camp Robinson, that apear to be stripped on the map indicating hunting areas....You know if this is true...can you hunt ON lake Conway where it borders CR?

IronHog

Quote from: ArrowsATC on January 01, 2009, 12:32:19 pm
Iron Hog, I was looking on the AGFC topo for Lake Conway...there are areas bordering Camp Robinson, that apear to be stripped on the map indicating hunting areas....You know if this is true...can you hunt ON lake Conway where it borders CR?

It has been 8 years, but I was under the impression that there was no hunting on actual Lake Conway  It many have changed since that time or there may be some on the extreme east end of the lake that I am not aware of.

When they flood the hunting area on bell slough/camp robinson the grassy lake area looks much like lake Conway.  It is an old Cypress break in the middle of the swamp that runs across those two areas.  You really don't need much of a boat to get there, but the roads into the water are a little rough.

PintailKiller

You can duck hunt on Lake Conway in the Pierce and Dix Creek areas ONLY.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

spit

i've had success in all areas mentioned, and a lot more of pisspoor days as well.  if you're there on a day with plenty of NEW ducks - good deal.  Otherwise, they are so shot up and ran off and the crowds of people -- gosh, its absurd.  You can walk in lots of places in bell slough/grassy lake both if you're willing.  I'd advise not getting far from the bank though and be very careful.  I promise you there are ditches stump holes and beaver runs that will ruin the trip just abour everywhere you go on bell slough/grassy lake.  I've been there when its dry and walked all over, across, over throught it etc etcc.. all times of the year.  Some sloughs are fairly flat/firm bottom with occasional deeper spots or beaver runs.. this one is different - its LOADED with crap to frustrate you. 

I decided a few years ago that due to the number and boneheadedness of people and lack of fresh ducks common to the area I would probably never hunt there again. 

all that WWII shooting - MOST of it is skybusting and emptying guns on woodies flying 180mph.  Several woodies, but after the first few minutes of daylight on many days - it is all over out there.

my favorite walk in was to go to Camp Robinson base in North Little rock to sign in etc etc and walk in on the east end of grassy lake.  Some success, fewer people, shallower water for the most part.  many good places to try.

best of luck.

spit

oh yeah, and the water level is fine right now.  not totally flooded, but good enough. actually i like the water level best right now.

lake conway pretty much demands having a boat, IMO.  unless you have all your decoys on a string and a good retriever.  Soft bottom, sink....

hoards of people, few ducks, most know the game.  Can kill a few, but generally speaking it aint what duck hunting is supposed to be i can assure you of that.

Michael Porkleone

I'm planning on walking in tomorrow. 

Is there a limit on the number of shells I can carry into Grassy Lake/Bell Slough?

Thanks.

spit

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on January 10, 2009, 10:00:37 pm
I'm planning on walking in tomorrow. 

Is there a limit on the number of shells I can carry into Grassy Lake/Bell Slough?

Thanks.

I don't know for sure b/c like i said i don't hunt there anymore.  There was NOT a shell limit there just a few years ago '98-2003.. and I don't think anything has changed but i'd sure check the manual.  If its not in the manual then don't worry about it b/c there aren't any signs or regulations specific to the area posted anywhere on/around the area.  I'm sure of that b/c there never has been and i just drove down to the two main ramps a few days ago. 

also if you're having trouble finding it in the manual, the agfc regulations for grassy lake and bell slough are one and the same... its essentially all the same area same water - the difference is the military base Camp Robinson boundary line crosses the water.  If you're on the military side (east) you're probably in grassy lake and accordingly if you want to access grassy lake by foot you have to drive in on camp roads abide by the Camp Robinson rules regarding sigining in/out with permit at the base in NLR,etc etc. West of that boundary is basically deemed bell slough -- and all of the access points are public roads.  But, the hunting laws are no different b/c its all the same body of water essentially. 

Somebody will probably try to say this is wrong - I know fully there is a slight geographic difference also that could more accurately define the slough versus the lake but for regulation and access reference what i've said is sufficient.  Case and point being If you park on public road of "bell slough WMA" and you walk east along the bank far enough across the boundary you can get a ticket for hunting there only because you're on Camp Robinson w/o proper permits and signing in/out etc.  If you say "Officer i'm hunting bell slough wma and don't have to sign in to anything, -- that will not fly you'll be told you're actually hunting grassy lake"

hope this helps.

let me know how it goes.

Michael Porkleone

spit

you can do either actually.  the ramps aren't far apart.  so if you want to go that direction take a left and park at the farthest west ramp.  If you go there - its not too terribly far to a place where there is a gas line that cuts diagonally across the corner of the slough there.  Walk on the dry land along the bank until you find it and then head into the water.  Its in timber and the reason i mention it is it makes a pretty good stretch of open water through timber about 30 yards wide.  Always looked like a good spot, its pretty close to the rest area, and i never was on top of anybody there.  However, never did much good there either.

You can park at the eastern ramp and walk east/SE if you want as well.  Its a pretty good ways to that boundary.  I'm guessing 1/2-3/4mile.  You cant miss the boundary b/c on the land its bulldozed out wide and sometimes 4X4 drive on it.  It pretty thick that direction though for walking in and if you get very far from the bank the water is pretty deep on most of that stretch.  i didn't like going this direction.

spit

if you're on high speed internet, go to google, click map, and look at the satelite view.  it would prove helpful i think.  if you look closely you can actually see that gas line i mentioned.  Not necessarily hunting the gas line itself but it hits a more open hole there too, and there's some green timber there in that area also.  If you're seeing/hearing ducks flying by close through that timber don't hesitate to move from you're first setup there you might catch some fly-bys through that timber coming/going from the rest area that aren't going to work your little hole or decoys.

Michael Porkleone

I made it to the spot marked in red.  I hung out from 6:45-8:30 and saw one duck fly high over the tree tops.  Also, I never heard consistent gunfire although there were many boats on the lake.  I just don't think there are to many ducks around there right now.

The water in the gas line gets really deep at certain parts!  I would have went further this morning if I wasn't by myself.  To get any further, you almost have to know where the shallow parts are or have a boat. 

IronHog

You've got to get to the open water on grassy lake and fight the crowd if you want to kill ducks.

spit

Quote from: IronHog on January 11, 2009, 08:36:56 pm
You've got to get to the open water on grassy lake and fight the crowd if you want to kill ducks.

I have seen timber, thick timber, and green timber hunting on bell slough and grassy that will make you wild about duck hunting, however I agree with ironhog on this one at least most of the time.  Even when you do this boat to open water you often will only end up frustrated at the crowds and maneuverability, and lack of ducks there. 

You're experience sums up MOST experiences on this area over the last 8 years or so.  There are a few days each year that a few people do some good.  BY FAR it usually sucks out there but regardless of it sucking there will be a ton of boats there.  A ton. 

The last time i remember there being really good hunting on bell slough or grassy lake either for any sustained time was around 1997-2000.  You could limit out lots of mornings in those woods you marked on the map back then. 

spit

For some reason it seems ducks just don't come through this area that much anymore.  I remember talking about with friends years ago that it almost seemed like their flight paths changed or something. 
There are few places to hunt around conway.  The best bet if your able - is to learn to hunt the arkansas river., maybe even cadron.  Otherwise you're pretty much limited to bell slough for public land.  That's why its so dang crowded, and ends up nobody does much good.  Even when a good bunch of ducks come in, they are shot off really quick.

i'm got friends with private farmland in the area that isn't nearly as productive 95% of the season as it was 9-10 years ago.  Only occasionally.  I almost swear they changed flights.

this is why i've practically quit duck hunting, and haven't bought stamps this year.  its depressing.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: spit on January 12, 2009, 04:15:54 am
For some reason it seems ducks just don't come through this area that much anymore.  I remember talking about with friends years ago that it almost seemed like their flight paths changed or something. 
There are few places to hunt around conway.  The best bet if your able - is to learn to hunt the arkansas river., maybe even cadron.  Otherwise you're pretty much limited to bell slough for public land.  That's why its so dang crowded, and ends up nobody does much good.  Even when a good bunch of ducks come in, they are shot off really quick.

i'm got friends with private farmland in the area that isn't nearly as productive 95% of the season as it was 9-10 years ago.  Only occasionally.  I almost swear they changed flights.

this is why i've practically quit duck hunting, and haven't bought stamps this year.  its depressing.

I quit back in 1991.  It cost too much IMO for the state and fed duck stamps and I will not use steel.shot.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.