Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Tony Nathan

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 12h12 hours ago

Read the legend of Tony Nathan: http://ow.ly/S99JO 

QuoteIf it had been up to Louise Nathan, her son Tony never would have touched a football.

Once he started playing, though, she never let him quit.

William Nathan, who worked as millwright at Connors Steel in Birmingham, made his son Tony his first football by stitching together a strip of Naugahyde and stuffing it with rags and cotton balls. The next Christmas, Santa Claus brought Tony his first official football.

"Before Bo, there was Tony," Denny Ragland says. "We don't have any of the highlight reels from the '70s that they have from Bo Jackson's day, but Tony did some phenomenal things on the football field and on the basketball court."

After Nathan got out of coaching, another one of his former Dolphins teammates, guard Ed Newman, told him he had the perfect job for him.

Newman serves as a criminal court judge in Miami-Dade County, and six years ago, he hired Nathan to be a bailiff in his courtroom. The easygoing Nathan had the ideal temperament for the job, Newman told him.

The stoic Nathan even teared up as walked across the Coleman Coliseum stage to receive his diploma from outgoing UA President Judy Bonner.

"It touched me," he says. "It really did."

It took him 36 years, but Nathan kept that promise to his coach. And to himself.

Tony Nathan

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Daniel Brooks

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 19h19 hours ago

Sympathy to VFL LB Daniel Brooks, 31, killed in a one-car accident in Clinton early Sunday morning. He was working for Army National Guard

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 18h18 hours ago

Sad news: Former #Vols LB Daniel Brooks died early this morning in a car accident. He was 31: http://bit.ly/1OorxoF 

Daniel Brooks had growing up to do in college, but he grew up. Then he served his country (Nat'l Guard) and as a cop.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Steve Meilinger

College Football Hall of Famer Steve Meilinger, a standout for the University of Kentucky in the early 1950s, passed away at his Lexington residence at age 84.

QuoteUK's first three-time All-American, known as "Mr. Anywhere," played end, halfback and quarterback on offense while seeing action at end, linebacker and safety on defense. As if that wasn't enough, Meilinger punted and returned punts and kickoffs.

With Kentucky facing a Halloween Night meeting with the Miami Hurricanes in South Florida, the Kentucky coach approached Meilinger during the Tuesday practice that preceded the game.

"He came up to me, asked me to walk around the field with him flipping the ball like you do on pitch outs," Meilinger said recently. "We did that, and he said, 'Yeah, that's good enough.' And he told me I was going to play quarterback."

Yet Meilinger had never played the first down of quarterback. When Bryant told him he was about to, "I almost died," he said.

In the next day's Lexington Herald game story, Ed Ashford wrote, "Big Steve Meilinger made Halloween Night a real night of horror for the Miami Hurricanes here tonight as he did everything but play in the band as the Kentucky Wildcats romped to a 29-0 triumph over the Hurricanes ... "

The next week, UK returned to Lexington for a homecoming date with Tulane. With his parents, Steve Sr. and Anna, at Stoll Field to watch, Meilinger again got the start at QB.

When the Kentucky marching band took the field, a call over the public address system went out for the "missing musician."

Out scurried a trombone player — in full football uniform including a blue jersey with Meilinger's No. 80 jersey.

Up in the stands, Meilinger says his flummoxed dad turned to his mom and asked, "Don't they ever give that boy a rest?"

In October 2013, he talked about how excited he was to be inducted into the Hall of Fame that year.

"I wish it could have happened about 40 years ago where I could enjoy it for that long," he joked. "I get a nice, big ring. ... But 40 years ago would have been fantastic. I'm happy to be there now."

Meilinger, who is survived by his wife, Eileen Dineen Meilinger, played at Kentucky from 1951-53 under legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and helped the Wildcats to a record of 20-10-3, including an 8-4 mark in 1951 that was capped by a Cotton Bowl victory. UK was ranked in the nation's top 20 all three seasons.

The Bethlehem, Pa., native was selected in the first round (eighth overall pick) of the 1954 NFL Draft. Instead, he went into the Army and spent two years as a tank commander in the 100th Tank Battalion of the First Armored Division.

He returned to football in 1956 and spent six seasons in the NFL before injuries ended his career. In 1960, he played in the NFL Championship Game under Coach Vince Lombardi.

In 2013, Meilinger talked about how his appreciation grew for Bryant after his playing days at UK.

"During football season and practices, you hated his guts," Meilinger recalled of the coaching legend. "But I'll tell you what, after you graduate, he's the best man you could ever have. If you needed anything, he would give it to you or he would advise you.

"I wanted to go into coaching after I got out of pro ball. I called him, and he says, 'You don't want to do this.' He said, 'Get you another job.' So I enjoyed Coach Bryant. Greatest thing in the world."

He was an analyst for the UK Radio Network for a time back when the majority of the games were not on TV.

jbcarol

... Rafael Palmeiro

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 18h18 hours ago

Former Bulldog great Rafael Palmeiro signs a pro contract to play with his son http://on.thec-l.com/1iSI48h

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 21h21 hours ago

50-year-old Rafael Palmeiro signs with independent league Sugar Land (Texas) team to play with son.
Palmeiro: 12th on MLB HR list- 569.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2015, 08:33:22 am
... Tony Nathan

Tony Nathan

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach Sep 15

My new book "Woodlawn"  released today. "Woodlawn" movie with Sean Astin (Rudy) and Jon Voight hits theaters Oct. 15 http://www.amazon.com/Woodlawn-One-Hope-Dream-Way/dp/1501118064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442315519&sr=8-1&keywords=woodlawn ...

jbcarol

... Former Alabama running back Kerry Goode

Matt Zenitz Verified account
‏@mzenitz

Former Alabama running back Kerry Goode announced on Facebook that he has been diagnosed with ALS http://s.al.com/o8M8rgY

QuoteFormer Alabama running back Kerry Goode announced on Facebook Tuesday morning that he has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) — also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"I cannot begin to thank you for all of the love you've shown this little boy from Town Creek Alabama," Goode said on Facebook. "If you see me out and about, it's okay to come over and give me a hug. I'm still the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. I'm approaching this like everything else in my life, with the blessing of God and a fight you cannot begin to imagine.

"There is a truth in knowing you are potentially battling something terminal. A truth that changes you so deep down inside that nothing will ever be the same. Your whole world stops on a dime. In the words of Tim McGraw, Some Day I Hope You Get The Chance To Live Like You're Dying. Love is so much sweeter....Life is so much more simple.

"If I could do it all over again, I'd still chose my life. I still have a lot of living, loving and laughing to do. We all need to stand for something, whether it's ALS, Leukemia or some other illness that's searching for a cure. Who knows, the life you save, just might be someone you love or maybe your own."

Goode and his three brothers — Chris, Pierre and Clyde — all played for Alabama. So did their cousin, former star cornerback Antonio Langham.

Goode played for the Tide from 1983-87, finishing his career with 1,350 yards and six touchdowns, 30 catches for 222 yards and a score and a kickoff return for a touchdown.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Goode in the seventh round of the 1988 NFL draft.

The youngest brother, Clyde, passed away in 2012 following a battle with leukemia.

Goode's friend and former Tide teammate Kevin Turner was diagnosed with ALS in 2010.

Goode participated last year in the Ice Bucket Challenge — an initiative promoting ALS awareness — in honor of Turner.

"Last year, when I was participating in the Ice Bucket Challenge for my dear friend and teammate, Kevin Turner," Goode said, "never did I stop to think that the life I was working to save would be my own."

jbcarol

Kerry Goode's career is one of the great "what ifs" in #Alabama football history  http://ow.ly/SxpqD 

QuoteHis performance against Boston College in the 1984 season-opener is both among the most incredible — and bittersweet — in Crimson Tide annals.

Goode, then a 19-year-old sophomore, totaled 297 all-purpose yards with three touchdowns, setting an SEC record with 197 kickoff return yards, along with 68 yards rushing and 32 receiving. And he did it all despite playing a little more than two quarters of the Crimson Tide's 38-31 loss to the Doug Flutie-led Eagles.

Goode's season ended with a knee injury in the third quarter that September night at Legion Field in Birmingham. That fateful injury, which cost him most of two seasons and robbed him of much of his otherworldly speed and agility, derailed what might have been among the all-time greatest Crimson Tide careers.

Had he not been injured, it might have been Kerry Goode — and not Bobby Humphrey — who was an All-American running back for the Crimson Tide in 1986. And it might have been Kerry Goode — and not Mark Ingram — who was the first Alabama player to win the Heisman Trophy.

jbcarol

... Christine Michael

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 2h2 hours ago

Brent Zwerneman Retweeted Brandon George

Five-star Aggie:

Brandon George Verified account
‏@DMN_George

Look for Cowboys RB Christine Michael to be active Sunday for 1st time. He's taking some first-team reps in practice, OC Scott Linehan said.

jbcarol

... Trent Richardson

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 15m15 minutes ago

Trent Richardson is among the running backs working out today for the Buffalo Bills, according to reports http://ow.ly/T56sL

QuoteBills could be in the market for a running back because of injuries. Starter LeSean McCoy is out with a hamstring injury, and rookie Karlos Williams has entered the NFL's concussion protocol.

Buffalo general manager Doug Whaley said the Bills might have to add a running back to the roster before they visit the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.

Richardson was released by the Oakland Raiders on Aug. 31 after he ran 15 times for 42 yards, caught three passes for 5 yards and returned a kickoff for 11 yards in the preseason.

Richardson joined the Raiders after being released by the Indianapolis Colts at the end of the 2014 NFL season.

Richardson entered the NFL as the third pick in the 2012 NFL Draft after setting Alabama single-season rushing records with 1,679 yards and 21 touchdowns in 2011 for the Crimson Tide's BCS national championship team.

Richardson ran for 950 yards and 11 touchdowns for the Cleveland Browns as a rookie.

Cleveland traded Richardson to the Colts for a first-round draft pick two games into the 2013 season...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2015, 09:17:03 am
... Daniel Brooks

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 19h19 hours ago

Sympathy to VFL LB Daniel Brooks, 31, killed in a one-car accident in Clinton early Sunday morning. He was working for Army National Guard

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 18h18 hours ago

Sad news: Former #Vols LB Daniel Brooks died early this morning in a car accident. He was 31: http://bit.ly/1OorxoF 

Daniel Brooks had growing up to do in college, but he grew up. Then he served his country (Nat'l Guard) and as a cop.

Condolences to his family.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 06, 2015, 12:27:03 pm
... Trent Richardson

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 15m15 minutes ago

Trent Richardson is among the running backs working out today for the Buffalo Bills, according to reports http://ow.ly/T56sL

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 7h7 hours ago

Trent Richardson loses another NFL opportunity to Boom Herron: http://ow.ly/T6fV1 

QuoteBuffalo Bills announced on Tuesday afternoon they had signed free agent running back Dan "Boom" Herron for their NFL roster after working out several players earlier in the day. Former Alabama star Trent Richardson was reportedly one of the running backs looked over by Buffalo before Herron was signed.

In 2014 in Indianapolis, Herron took Richardson's starting spot with three games remaining in the regular season.

jbcarol

... Lindy Infante

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 47m47 minutes ago

"Former Gator player, NFL coach Lindy Infante dies" by @bobmcginn http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/former-packers-coach-lindy-infante-dies-b99592942z1-331279781.html ...

QuoteGreen Bay – Lindy Infante, the coach of the Green Bay Packers from 1988-'91, died Thursday morning in Florida. He was 75.

LeRoy Butler, one of Infante's former players, said he was notified of Infante's death in a phone call from Stephanie Infante, his wife.

According to Butler, the cause of death was pneumonia. Stephanie Infante said her husband fell at home in the last week and suffered four broken ribs.

He was hospitalized, and at that point doctors discovered through X-rays and tests the seriousness of the pneumonia, Butler said.

Stephanie Infante told Butler that her husband died at Northeast Hospice of Florida.

Infante and his wife lived in Crescent Beach, Fla., outside Jacksonville, for about the last 20 years.

Infante was 3rd Team All-SEC in 1962. He suffered two severe injuries during his career: a ruptured lung against the LSU in 1960, and a season-ending broken leg, also against LSU, in 1962.  Infante was an assistant for Florida from 1966-1971.

jbcarol

... Tom Goode

MSU Football ‏@HailStateFB 1h1 hour ago

The @msstate community mourns the loss of All-American & @SuperBowl champion Tom Goode, 76 http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210408392 ...

QuoteSTARKVILLE, Miss. – Former Mississippi State football All-American and assistant coach Tom Goode died Thursday at age 76.

Goode, a native of West Point, played for the Bulldogs from 1958-60 after a standout prep career at West Point High School. Establishing himself on the 1957 freshman squad, Goode earned a starting spot at center and linebacker the following season on the varsity team. He went on to back-to-back All-Southeastern Conference years, including a 1960 campaign in which he was named the first Kodak All-American in school history.

Goode played in the Blue-Gray All-Star Classic, Coaches All-America game and the Senior Bowl following his 1960 senior season. He was selected by the Houston Oilers in the second round of the 1961 AFL Draft and chosen by the Detroit Lions in the 17th round of the 1961 NFL Draft...

His final year in Miami of 1969 also became his first Pro Bowl appearance.

Then after battling injuries, he joined the Baltimore Colts in 1970 – his final professional season. What resulted was the most defining play of his career. The Colts faced the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl V. With 0:10 remaining and the game tied at 13, Goode's final career snap equaled a Super Bowl ring. Jim O'Brien successfully converted Goode's snap with a 32-yard field goal to give the Colts the Super Bowl V victory.

He became the first former MSU player to win a Super Bowl ring and finished his nine-year NFL career with 55 starts and 113 games played.

Goode embarked on a 33-year coaching career after his playing days. He returned to Starkville in 1972 and served three times on the Bulldogs' staff: offensive line coach (1972-75; 1986-88) and offensive coordinator (1984-85). He also had stints with the Calgary Stampeders, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Alabama. Goode most recently served as athletic director and football coach at East Mississippi Community College from 1991-2003.

Bill Curry's backup at center for the '70 Colts

jbcarol

... Jason and Randy of ESPN Classic's Cheap Seats

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 21h21 hours ago

"You are the Jared in big pants that we still trust" --- @SklarBrothers on KSR with @JaredLorenzen22

jbcarol

jbcarol

... former Tennessee QB Riley Ferguson

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP  21h21 hours ago
Whatever happened to former Tennessee QB Riley Ferguson? 'I wish I would have stayed.' http://bit.ly/1RP6qeT 

QuoteNearly two years after walking away from the Tennessee football program, Riley Ferguson sometimes still wears his Big Orange gear around his new athletic home — Coffeyville Community College in Kansas.

"A couple of shirts and pairs of shorts," said Ferguson, the starting quarterback of the nation's top-ranked junior college team. "I still like Tennessee. It was a great place. Looking back, I wish I would have stayed."

Until the final three minutes of last weekend's first half against Georgia, at least a few Vols fans were probably also wondering what would have happened if Ferguson had stuck it out in Knoxville. Especially given his 25 touchdown passes and 2,096 passing yards (with just four interceptions) heading into Saturday night's showdown with another Kansas community college, third-ranked Butler.

With UT down 24-3 to Georgia, those stats probably looked really good to those growing restless with junior quarterback Josh Dobbs...

jbcarol

... Dhaquille Williams

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 15h15 hours ago

Former Tiger Duke Williams continues to encourage his ex-teammates: http://ow.ly/TB6GH 

Quote"I haven't talked to him since that day," Lashlee said. "He was one of their teammates and they love him. I know he's pulling for them."

Auburn freshman Kerryon Johnson was among Williams' most vocal defenders following the Kentucky game.

"Duke's not that kind of guy — he's not a cancer to the team," Johnson said. "He's none of the things that people try to say. He's a kid. We all are. We all make mistakes, he made his, but he owns up to it. He realizes it and he still wishes that he's here. He still sends us messages from time to time — 'keep it up.' He loves this team just like I do, just like anybody else does.

"He knows he missed out on an opportunity. We know we just have to keep it going, but we know that, hey, if we ever need him, he's there. He's part of our family too."

Williams apologized to Auburn in an Instagram post last week for making "mistake after mistake."

jbcarol

... Tyrone Young

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Keith247Sports 15h15 hours ago

Just saw former Ocala Forest #Gators & #Saints WR Tyrone Young died of cancer last wk. Ty in the Sky will be missed.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20151016/articles/151019771

QuoteHe went to Florida, played quarterback for a year and then was switched to wide receiver.

The player his teammates called "Big Slim" had his breakout game against Georgia in 1980 with 10 catches for 183 yards. His 10 catches are eighth all-time for a single game at UF and the 183 yards are tied for 13th in Florida history.

Young contracted multiple Myeloma cancer, which affects the blood and bones, in 2004. Eventually, the cancer enlarged his heart and it finally stopped beating, according to his sister.

In 2011, Young gave an interview with The Sun in which he talked about fighting back against the disease. But he also knew his fate.

"This cancer is not a remission cancer," he said then. "It's never going away. I realize it's going to take me out. But it's not today and not tomorrow and not for a few years."

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jbcarol on September 14, 2015, 08:33:22 am
... Tony Nathan

Tony Nathan

One of Bears Boys .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

... DeCori Birmingham

WholeHogSports ‏@wholehogsports 20h20 hours ago

Once considered a hero on the football field, DeCori Birmingham has found real hero status as a Texas State Trooper http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/21/birmingham-finds-hero-status-after-football/ ...

jbcarol

... Greg Hardy

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/658494260820496384

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko 12h12 hours ago

I don't care if Greg Hardy got 5 sacks a game. If I were a GM i wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole. A truly terrible human.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GOODasGOLDman/status/659818582696697856

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 3h3 hours ago

10 years later and 11 surgeries later, Tyrone Prothro's leg 'as good as it's going to get' http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/10/10_years_later_and_11_surgerie.html ...

jbcarol

... Reche Caldwell

TAMPA — Former NFL wide receiver Donald Reche Caldwell was sentenced Friday to 27 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to a drug charge.

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 31m31 minutes ago

Laquon Treadwell is the 1st SEC player with 4 straight games with 100 rec yds and a TD since Reche Caldwell (2001).

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 2h2 hours ago

On the five-year anniversary of Nick Bell's death, Dan Mullen said it was his most difficult time as a coach.  http://on.thec-l.com/1Nmfs3l

QuoteSTARKVILLE -- Monday marked the five-year anniversary of the most difficult time in Dan Mullen's tenure at Mississippi State.The situation came outside the lines of play and affected his Bulldog family.

Nick Bell, a sophomore defensive end, was diagnosed with cancer in the fall of 2010 and died on Nov. 2.

"I know for me as a coach, I hope I never have to deal with anything that hard in my career again," Mullen said on Monday. "I don't think I've ever had to deal with anything close to that as a football coach, when you lose a family member like that. It's just a devastating thing.

"Any time you play with somebody within your program and you lose a teammate, I think it's really hard on the young guys," Mullen said. "It's something you always remember and is always going to stick with you when you lose a family member way too soon in life."

Various Mississippi State's players wore his No. 36 for the rest of the 2010 season. The school signified the 36-yard line during home games too...

jbcarol

... AJ Green

SEC Sports ‏@SEC 4h4 hours ago

Former @FootballUGA great @ajgreen_18 is creating two new scholarships at @universityofga.
http://www.secsports.com/article/14043930/former-uga-great-aj-green-endow-scholarships-uga ...

QuoteGreen and his wife Miranda have announced the endowment of two scholarships at his alma mater: The A.J. Green Family Football Scholarship, intended to provide support for a student-athlete on the UGA football team, and the A.J. Green Family Scholarships, earmarked to support two need-based UGA students, with first preference going to students from Green's home state of South Carolina.

The Greens will be honored for their contribution at an on-field recognition at the Georgia-Kentucky game on Nov. 7.

The Greens have stipulated that the recipient of their football scholarship represent UGA ''in an outstanding manner in the classroom as an honor student, on the playing field, in the community, and who also demonstrates a commitment to the University and its football program.''

''I'm very excited and very thankful that we were in the position to give back to the University of Georgia,'' Green said. ''My time at UGA is still close to my heart. It was definitely important for me to give back while I'm still playing professionally and I'm fortunate that we are able to do that.''

The latter scholarship also holds a special place in A.J. Green's heart. He was inspired as a middle schooler by his football and basketball coach in his hometown of Summerville, Louis Mulkey, who died in 2007 while performing his day job as a Charleston firefighter.

''His big thing was helping kids realize their full potential,'' Green said. ''He pushed me every day to become the best I could be, on and off the field. By giving back, and having the opportunity to pay the way for somebody who otherwise couldn't, is a great way for me to help them realize their potential. That was very important to me.''

A native of Summerville, S.C., Green earned All-SEC honors in each year he played at Georgia (2008-10). He ranks second in career TD catches (23), third in career receptions (166) and receiving yards (2,619), all despite playing just three seasons. A freshman All-American in 2008, Green was regarded as one of the nation's top wide receivers in both 2009 and 2010, when he was a Biletnikoff Award finalist each year. He was the Bulldogs' Offensive MVP as a sophomore in '09 and the team's overall MVP after the following season.

''We are deeply appreciative of A.J. and his wife Miranda for this wonderful gift,'' said Georgia head football coach Mark Richt. ''With this gift, they are creating a tremendous legacy -- of giving back and helping the next young person fulfill his or her dreams. Their generosity will endure for years to come.

''A.J. continues to be a great ambassador for Georgia. We see him on Sundays in the NFL with tremendous pride, knowing that he's still a big part of our UGA family. He's now in position to serve as a role model for all of our players from the present, past and future.''

Taken fourth overall by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2010 NFL Draft, Green has become one of the league's elite wide receivers. He's already earned All-Pro honors twice (2012-13) and has played in the Pro Bowl all four years in which he was eligible. He has become the first player in Cincinnati franchise history to reach the 1,000-yard receiving milestone in each of his first four seasons.

jbcarol

... Eric Berry

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 19h19 hours ago

Former Tennessee star Eric Berry to be honored as "Vol For Life" http://trib.al/m9yKLR2

QuoteKansas City Chiefs' safety Eric Berry will be honored as a "Vol For Life Legend of the Game" on Saturday.

Berry, who played for Tennessee from 2007-09, started all 39 games he played with the Vols. He was a unanimous All-American selection in his final two seasons. He also won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in the nation.

Berry's brothers, Evan and Elliot, are twins and currently play for Tennessee. Evan Berry leads the nation in yards per kickoff return. Elliot Berry is a backup linebacker.

Quote from: jbcarol on August 02, 2015, 07:49:53 am
... Eric Berry

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra Jul 29

.@KCChiefs' Eric Berry cleared to practice today, 8 months after cancer diagnosis http://bit.ly/1VMEI5Y  #BerryStrong

Jeff Rosen@jeff_rosen88

Having beaten cancer, writes @mellinger, there's no telling what #Chiefs' Berry can do now. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article29498461.html ...

jbcarol

... Keith Joseph

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 7h7 hours ago

Good read here from June by @CourtneyRCronin on Keith Joseph Jr. following in his father's footsteps to MSU http://on.thec-l.com/1irHj4w

QuotePascagoula defensive end Keith Joseph, Jr. has long been pegged as a Mississippi State commitment years before his own recruitment took off.

His father, Keith Joseph, Sr., was a defensive end for the Bulldogs in the early 1990s. The two built a bond around football and now, around a school and campus that, for both of them, feels like home.

"Me and my dad had talked about it before and I just woke up this morning, went to football practice at the beach and told my dad I'm ready," Joseph said. "He said, 'let's make the phone call.' ..."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound prospect admits that his father was a major reason he decided to commit to Mississippi State and often relies on him for advice when it comes to football, given he played the same position his son is playing now.

"It was a big factor," Joseph said. "He's been through everything I'm going through now. He's played a big roll in my recruiting process, all of my skills. He really helped me find my way."

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 8h8 hours ago

MSU football player Keith Joseph Jr. and his father, who also played for MSU, killed in car wreck http://on.thec-l.com/1NyrjeI

Quote"We are deeply saddened and heartbroken by the tragic loss of Keith Jr. and his father," coach Dan Mullen said in a release. "Keith had such a promising future as a Bulldog following in the legacy started by Keith Sr., who played for our program 25 years ago. Keith was a great student, a hard worker and a great teammate to all of us. With heavy hearts, our thoughts and prayers go out to the Joseph family, our entire Mississippi State community and all of the lives these Bulldogs touched."

The father and son were en-route to a Pascagoula High School football game.

"He had a way about him," said Pascagoula High School coach Lewis Sims, who coached Joseph Jr. "He had that confidence about him. You knew you could count on him."

Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin knew both Joseph Sr. and Joseph Jr.

"Words can't express the sorrow we feel by having lost not one, but two members of the Bulldog family, father and son,"  Stricklin said in a release. "I was a classmate of Keith Sr., and took pride in having Keith Jr. follow in his dad's footsteps at MSU. They will both be missed greatly. It's such a tragic reminder that life is a precious and every day is a gift from God."

MSU Football ‏@HailStateFB 8h8 hours ago

Tonight, our Bulldog family mourns the loss of our own Keith Joseph Jr. & Keith Joseph Sr. http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210477841 ...

jbcarol

... Sean Tuohy, SEC's all-time assist leader

AL.com ‏@aldotcom 6h6 hours ago

Sean Tuohy shares message with Mobile non-profit http://dlvr.it/CjQsdg 

QuoteBig Brothers Big Sisters of South Alabama is an organization that knows all about the profound impact small gestures can have on people.

The events that stemmed from the Tuohy's encounter with Oher lead to adoption, an Ole Miss football career, a Super Bowl and the 2009 film "The Blind Side". However, he maintains that one of the greatest rewards from his life with Oher is simply the spirit of giving. Tuohy points to one comment from his son, Michael, that made him proud to have listened to his wife, as they drove down the road.

"I was hoping somebody would help me."

"All we did was give him a house and some hope. He became the person he was supposed to be," Tuohy said, "That's what you've got to do when you go out to these schools. Give these kids hope."

In his book, Oher noted that he had spent the night at several homes before finally landing with the Touhy family.  Hugh Freeze was one.

jbcarol

... Jacob Tamme, former UK TE

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 11h11 hours ago

Read this ESPN article on Jacob Tamme and his work with disabled vets http://bit.ly/1PAWciE

QuoteSo far, Tamme has raised $500,000 to help build the homes. Green Bay Packers receiver Randall Cobb, 1999 first overall pick quarterback Tim Couch and Tennessee Titans linebacker Avery Williamson, the guy who picked off a tipped pass to Tamme in the end zone during Week 7, have all participated.

Tamme: "I feel like we owe them our service when they get back."

Tamme was recently named Week 8 NFLPA Community MVP for his work with "Swings For Soldiers" and "Homes For Our Troops."

jbcarol

... Kevin Galloway

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 21h21 hours ago

Today in Billy Gillispie Was Insane news.... http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/today-in-billy-gillispie-was-insane-news/ ...

QuoteKevin Galloway, formerly of the Billy Gillispie era of Kentucky basketball, shared an interesting story on his Instagram and Facebook accounts yesterday. Galloway posted a picture of his son for his son's seventh birthday, with the caption:

I remember when I left Kentucky during the season to be there the day you were born coach said I would be in the dog house if I left... long story short I was there for you the day you was born and I will always be there for you!!!! Nothing and I mean nothing is more important to me than you... I love you son happy 7th birthday

So, you're telling me Billy Gillispie wouldn't let Galloway be there for the birth of his son?

If his son was born on November 9, 2008, Kentucky had five days before its next game. Then again, maybe Gillispie was on to something because that next game was VMI. Kentucky lost, 103-111.

Still, good for Galloway and Happy Birthday to his little man.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jbcarol on October 22, 2015, 12:46:02 pm
... DeCori Birmingham

WholeHogSports ‏@wholehogsports 20h20 hours ago

Once considered a hero on the football field, DeCori Birmingham has found real hero status as a Texas State Trooper http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/oct/21/birmingham-finds-hero-status-after-football/ ...

Good for Him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jbcarol on October 29, 2015, 05:35:18 pm
https://twitter.com/GOODasGOLDman/status/659818582696697856

Matt Zenitz ‏@mzenitz 3h3 hours ago

10 years later and 11 surgeries later, Tyrone Prothro's leg 'as good as it's going to get' http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/10/10_years_later_and_11_surgerie.html ...

He is a what might have been player if he had not got hurt so bad in College

jbcarol

... Former LSU D-lineman Ego Ferguson

Jeff Dickerson@DickersonESPN

#Bears DE Ego Ferguson has been suspended four games without pay for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing substances.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Billy Gillispie

Corbett Smith ‏@corbettsmithDMN 7h7 hours ago

Great Sunday read: @townbrad on ex-A&M coach Billy Gillispie, coming back  home to W. Texas http://d-news.co/UDd3L 

QuoteRANGER -- On this rainy Friday night, in a speck-on-the-map town between Fort Worth and Abilene, Billy Clyde Gillispie coached his first college basketball game since March 7, 2012.

Roughly 100 fans and exactly one sportswriter witnessed it.

For $5, which included entry to the women's game, they saw intense-as-ever Gillispie prod and strategize Ranger College to a 27-point victory over Cedar Valley College.

Without context, this snapshot would seem to be of a once star coach's crash-landing. From making $2.7 million annually at Kentucky to $108,000 as a community college coach and athletic director. From 23,000 fans and pyrotechnics at his first Kentucky practice eight Octobers ago to, well, this.

But to Gillispie, 56, this high school-size gym on this tattered 90-year-old campus in this shrinking 2,454-citizen town is not a life or career thud.

It's home.

This is where he played basketball and baseball from 1978 to 1980, 50 miles southwest of his hometown of Graford, population 494...

jbcarol

... Demarcus Cousins

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 2h2 hours ago

Demarcus Cousins is paying for a funeral of a high school football player http://bit.ly/1X13NIa 

QuoteCousins is going to pay for the funeral of Jaulon Clavo, a senior football player at Grant Union High School in Sacramento.

Clavo was 16 years old and was driving four other players when he was reportedly shot in the neck. Cousins has been seen attending Grant Union football games and has donated to the school in the past.

jbcarol

... Alec Ogletree

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 1h1 hour ago

Former UGA LB Alec Ogletree gives 500 turkeys to families for Thanksgiving http://trib.al/0t2oxKk

QuoteFormer UGA star Alec Ogletree, now a standout linebacker with the St. Louis Rams, returned to his hometown of Newnan, Ga., with a selfless goal in mind.

Alec ogletree ‏@B_easy_uga9 22h22 hours ago

Today is the day of my second annual turkey drive, feeding 500 families for at least one day!!! It is a blessing to be able to help others!!

Chris R. Dennis ‏@chrisrdennis 20h20 hours ago

Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaway courtesy of @b_easy_uga9 500 Turkey's and groceries handed out #MissionAccomplished

jbcarol

... Doron Lamb

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR Nov 25

Doron Lamb signs with a pro team in Montenegro. Who up, Podgorica??? http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/doron-lamb-signs-with-pro-team-in-montenegro/ ...

QuoteAccording to Sportando, Lamb has signed with KK Buducnost Voli, a professional team in Podgorica, Montenegro.

Also on Buducnost? Former St. John's star Omar Cook.

jbcarol

... Bart Starr

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports  5h5 hours ago
If you like emotional moments in sports, watch the return of Bart Starr to Lambeau Field for Brett Favre ceremony: http://ow.ly/V98BX

QuoteBart Starr made a triumphant return to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis., on a rainy Thursday night, pushing through more than a year of health concerns to make an appearance before adoring Packers fans.

At a halftime ceremony during their NFL game against the Chicago Bears on Thanksgiving night, the Packers added the name and number of Brett Favre to their ring of honor on the façade of Lambeau Field, which already features the No. 15 of Starr.

Starr, 81, has been working in rehabilitation in hopes of returning to Green Bay for the event since suffering two strokes, a heart attack and multiple seizures in September 2014. He hit a setback in late August when a life-threatening viral bronchial infection struck him.

jbcarol

... Tiffin

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/670399420014452740

QuoteScarblog: Imagine your first Iron Bowl as Bo Jackson's last, the lead changing hands for the fourth time in the fourth quarter on the final play while half of Legion Field deflates into stunned, dejected silence while the other half detonates in an explosion of crimson joy.

Imagine how lucky you'd be to get introduced to the greatest rivalry in the country at the height of its unparalleled powers.

Alf Van Hoose, longtime Birmingham News sports editor, called it "Legion Field's greatest game," and no one would know better.

Alabama 25, Auburn 23 on Nov. 30, 1985...

"The most fabulous fourth quarter I've ever seen in my life"

For three quarters, it was your typical battle of rock 'em, sock 'em robots. Mike Shula quarterbacked Alabama to a 13-0 lead. Pat Washington brought Auburn back to a manageable 16-10 hole at the half. No one scored in the third quarter.

What followed was an unparalleled 15 minutes of high-stakes, high-performance football between two rivals who absolutely refused to yield. Frank Broyles, the iconic former Arkansas coach doing the analysis for ABC's broadcast of the game, called it "the most fabulous fourth quarter I've ever seen in my life."

The try would come from 52 yards, the same distance Van Tiffin had missed from earlier in the game, but the most accomplished kicker in Alabama history had made three others. He had one more left in him.

The scene was a blur from there. Auburn cornerback Kevin Porter jumped the snap from the outside and threw himself toward Tiffin's launch point. Porter missed. Tiffin didn't...

Van holds a degree in Public Relations from the University of Alabama where he was a place kicker on the Crimson Tide football team.

He now serves Tiffin Motor Homes by managing product development, including research, design, prototype development, promotion and advertising — all key elements in motorhome sales

jbcarol

... Mike Kolen

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 27m27 minutes ago

.@ExcitableBob looks at former Auburn star Mike Kolen's run with the perfect Miami Dolphins: http://ow.ly/VuIPK 

QuoteAs an All-SEC linebacker for the Auburn Tigers in the late 1960s, Mike Kolen -- who was as hard-hitting on the field as he was mild-manner off it -- earned one of greatest nicknames in college football, "Captain Crunch."

And three years after his final season at Auburn, "Captain Crunch" was a starting linebacker on one of the greatest teams in professional football, the 1972 Miami Dolphins, the first (and still the only) team in NFL history to finish with a perfect 17-0 record.

67-year-old Kolen, a risk management specialist and motivational speaker who lives in Vestavia Hills, has written a book about that perfect season, "The Greatest Team: A Playbook for Champions," which he will be signing on Wednesday, Dec . 9, at 4 p.m. at the Alabama Booksmith in Homewood.

The book, which is also available at www.playbookforchampions.com, includes an introduction by former Dolphins coach Don Shula and anecdotes from many of Kolen's Miami teammates, including Nick Buoniconti, Manny Fernandez, Bob Griese, Jim Langer, Mercury Morris, Jake Scott and Paul Warfield.

"TEAM," in Kolen's vocabulary, is also a four-letter acronym that stands for Trust, Enthusiasm, Attitude and Motivation -- a concept that he has shared at thousands of inspirational speeches to businesses, churches and civic groups over the past 40 years.

Before playing for Ralph "Shug" Jordan at Auburn from 1967 to 1969, Kolen played at the old Berry High School in Hoover. After eight seasons with the Dolphins – including two Super Bowl championships – he retired from the NFL in 1977 and moved back to Alabama, where he started out in the real-estate business. He was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 1985.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... K.C. Ross-Miller

Tim Miller's son was committed to BCG at UK, signed by LSU and finished at Auburn.

Surrey Scorchers ‏@surreyscorchers Nov 26

BREAKING: Scorchers welcome new US point guard K.C. Ross-Miller @KCRossMiller12 http://bit.ly/1kVmGR5  #theBBL

Quote6'0", 24-year-old American point guard arrives to bring crucial experience to Scorchers backcourt after a season with the Auburn Tigers at Auburn University.

Last season saw Ross-Miller average 7.1 points per game, with 83 assists and an average of 2.1 rebounds and 1.5 steals.

Speaking on his arrival at Surrey Sports Park, Scorchers new number 10, Ross-Miller, said: "I'm excited about this opportunity. I'm ready and prepared to come here and help the team and do what it takes to win. That's what's really important to me - winning and having fun!"

Scorchers Coach Creon Raftopoulos said, "I'm really excited to have KC join us. Everybody knows Elvisi has been doing a good job at the point guard position but we've been pretty thin there. KC is a natural point guard who can lead us and is also capable of getting some points where we need them.

"I'm delighted to get him here. He's somebody I looked at towards the beginning of the season and to finally have him with us is going to be a treat for Scorchers fans."

Ross-Miller was rated a three-star prospect out of God's Academy in Dallas, Texas in 2010. He committed to Kentucky, signed with LSU and was declared academically ineligible in the summer of 2010. He played at New Orleans during his freshman season in college and averaged 9.2 points and 3.2 assists before his arrival at New Mexico State, where he played two seasons averaging 8.3 points in 30 games with 104 total assists (3.5apg).

After landing in the UK today, Ross-Miller remains a doubt for a start against London Lions this Saturday but could feature...

jbcarol

... Billy Gillispie

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h2 hours ago

Billy Gillispie's previously unbeaten Ranger College team forfeits four games
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2015/12/03/billy-gillispies-ranger-college-team-forfeits-four-games-due-transfer-players-incomplete-paperwork ...

QuoteTwo weeks ago, we told you about Billy Gillispie's return to college basketball -- at his alma mater, Ranger College, where 56-year-old Gillispie is head basketball coach and athletic director.

This week, Ranger debuted in the National Junior College Athletic Association national rankings at No. 16, with a 9-0 record.

On Wednesday, however, Ranger College's web site showed that Gillispie's Rangers suddenly had fallen to 5-4 -- because of forfeits in each of their first four games.

Tommy Wells, Ranger's public information officer and sports information director, said Thursday that the forfeits are due to a paperwork issue. A Ranger player had originally signed a Letter of Intent to play at a community college in another state. That player, according to Wells, never enrolled at the out of state school, and instead came to Ranger.  According to Wells, the paperwork from the other school releasing the player from his letter of intent turned out to incomplete. The issue wasn't discovered until the player had participated in Ranger's first four games.

The issue has been resolved and the player is now eligible, Wells said, but Ranger's games against Cedar Valley College, the Texas Riders, Western Texas College and San Jacinto College, had to be forfeited.

jbcarol

... Mark Ingram

Rand Getlin Verified account
‏@Rand_Getlin

I'm told #Saints RB Mark Ingram is dealing with a serious shoulder injury. There is some fear it could be season ending.

10:29 AM - 9 Dec 2015

jbcarol

... Former Florida DT Jay-nard Bostwick

Treasure Coast News@TreasureCstNews

Police: Two arrested in connection to car burglary: Two men were arrested Thursday by Port St. Lucie Police in an... http://dlvr.it/CzDGSm
2:13 PM - 10 Dec 2015

QuoteTwo men were arrested Thursday by Port St. Lucie Police in an area that has been hit with recent car burglaries.

Jaynard Steven Bostwick, 21, and Mbombo Dikanda, 22, were brought in after an officer said he witnessed them burglarizing a car on Southwest Alexandria Avenue, police said.

jbcarol

... Marcus Lattimore

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3h3 hours ago

Former Gamecocks RB gives back to South Carolina flood victims http://trib.al/Jv7PuIy

QuoteWhether former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore joins Will Muschamp's coaching staff remains a question.

However, Lattimore remaining a part of the South Carolina area most certainly is not.

Lattimore and his family spent Sunday providing a shopping spree to the children that were affected by the flooding in the Columbia, S.C. area earlier this year.

Gamecocks great told FoxCarolina.com's Josh Roberson that he wanted to make sure those children impacted by the disaster could still celebrate Christmas.

"I just wanted to bring awareness to what's really going on in Georgetown County," Lattimore said. "It's one thing that's just dear to my heart because my family we're always together. We always do things together, and this is one thing that we can bond over.

"It's still amazing to me, the impact that I do have. It's something that I don't take lightly at all. I don't take it for granted, and every opportunity I have to meet a kid that looks up to me in any kind of way, I'm going to take that opportunity because I know it's going to help them."

Lattimore dished out Wal-Mart gift cards to 25 children to purchase anything in the store, according to Roberson...

jbcarol

... Tee Martin

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 7h7 hours ago

#USC wide receivers coach Tee Martin has been promoted to offensive coordinator.

jbcarol

... Tony Hughes

Antonio Morales ‏@AntonioCMorales Dec 14

Tony Hughes said championships are expected at Jackson State. Now he's in charge of trying to bring some back to JSU http://on.thec-l.com/1YeW9u4

QuoteTony Hughes said championships aren't thought of at Jackson State, it's more like they're expected.

After dipping well below championship levels as a football program the past two seasons the Tigers have tasked Hughes, who had been serving as the assistant head coach, safeties coach and recruiting coordinator at Mississippi State, with bringing Jackson State back to those heights.

JSU announced Hughes as its head football coach at an on-campus news conference on Monday.

"It is indeed an honor for me to come to be the head football coach at Jackson State University. The reason I chose to come is because of the great tradition in football that this university represents," Hughes said. "This is a program with a lot of pride and a lot of tradition. What we've come to do is we come to rekindle that pride and that tradition and put Jackson State University football back in the place where it belongs,and that's at the top."

Hughes, 56, has been an assistant throughout his 31-year coaching career.

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen praised Hughes as a coach and a person.

"Tony is fulfilling a lifelong dream of becoming a head coach, and I am very proud of him," Mullen said in a statement. "He has been a loyal assistant and a tireless recruiter. He's done a tremendous job in helping elevate our program in our seven years here. Jackson State is not only getting an excellent head coach, but a great person and family man."

Rivals.com named Hughes one of the country's top 25 recruiters earlier this year after the Bulldogs signed five of the state's top six players. Hughes' recruiting prowess figures to be a major bonus for Jackson State.

Hughes said the recruiting base will be the state of Mississippi and the Jackson area.

"I believe that there's enough players in the state of Mississippi, if we recruit right and evaluate, there's enough players that every year we field a great football team," Hughes said.

jbcarol

December 21, 2015, 07:40:25 am #699 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:05:35 am by jbcarol
... Odell Beckham Jr.

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 16h16 hours ago

Former LSU star Odell Beckham Jr. feuds with elite cornerback Josh Norman during epic NFL game http://trib.al/kqA8BRd

QuoteFormer LSU and current New York Giants wideout Odell Beckham Jr. staged a prize fight with Carolina Panthers cornerback Josh Norman during Sunday's game.

Beckham had struggled to get much going early while matching up primarily against Norman. Beckham eventually caught the game-tying touchdown pass as the Giants rallied from a 28-point deficit, but Norman got the last laugh as the Panthers won 38-35 with a game-winning field goal.

He's an undercover IT support person in a current FatheadR commercial.

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 24m24 minutes ago Farragut, TN

Don't mind @OBJ_3's passion. Part of the game. But to ear-hole a guy with a running start (head to head) at the end of a play is cowardly.