Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Ferrell

Started by jchill, December 17, 2017, 11:24:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jchill

Has anyone seen him play? Is he as good as Sosa was coming out of high school?

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Knot2brite

Quote from: jchill on December 17, 2017, 11:24:45 pm
No he isn't...he can do a lot of things but he has to improve several things to be at that level as well. He runs well for a big man but he could be in better shape and be even faster.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

bennyl08

Laser timed/verified numbers of his are 6'3 331, 5.31 laser timed forty (so probably listed as a 4.8 from his HS coaches...), 4.84 shuttle, 24.1 vertical, and a 40 powerball for an overall sparq rating of 92.67 which is fairly high.

Watching his tape, he is really quick. Also, he is much stronger than those he is going against.

He also makes a sick touchdown grab playing TE. The pass is thrown high, he catches the ball above his head one handed. He could contribute as a freshmen if needed, but will be much better with a year of college conditioning. He reminds me of Bijhon, but perhaps a bit more athletic. Both have amazing burst at the line and are big, strong guys. However, watching the DT play RB of all things, he has pretty loose hips as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ArkRazr

Haha, this guy an absolute baller and will contribute next season. Possible sooner rather than later. He's got that nastiness!

RebelW

Lots of raw talent! Might need a redshirt year but the sky is the limit what he could be

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 18, 2017, 01:04:09 am
Laser timed/verified numbers of his are 6'3 331, 5.31 laser timed forty (so probably listed as a 4.8 from his HS coaches...), 4.84 shuttle, 24.1 vertical, and a 40 powerball for an overall sparq rating of 92.67 which is fairly high.

Watching his tape, he is really quick. Also, he is much stronger than those he is going against.

He also makes a sick touchdown grab playing TE. The pass is thrown high, he catches the ball above his head one handed. He could contribute as a freshmen if needed, but will be much better with a year of college conditioning. He reminds me of Bijhon, but perhaps a bit more athletic. Both have amazing burst at the line and are big, strong guys. However, watching the DT play RB of all things, he has pretty loose hips as well.
Let him spend 4 years in "body by hurl...I mean herb" and see how how athletic he is then. The longer people stayed in the program the bigger and slower they got. Players like alex Collins included
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 18, 2017, 12:42:14 am
No he isn't...he can do a lot of things but he has to improve several things to be at that level as well. He runs well for a big man but he could be in better shape and be even faster.
They play different spots with different skillsets. Find some film on a more athletic 330 pounder than Ferrell. We'll wait. Billy has so much upside. Unfair to compare the two at this point but I think Ferrell winds up the better pro.

bphi11ips

He had offers from Alabama, Louisville and Wisconsin.  Was about to be this year's Akial Byers. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig in the Pokey

Cortez Kennedy
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

oldman1015

Yes and not even close. A lot of raw potential. I would bet on a redshirt.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

popcornhog

Quote from: ArkRazr on December 18, 2017, 02:17:10 am
Haha, this guy an absolute baller and will contribute next season. Possible sooner rather than later. He's got that nastiness!

I hope you're wrong. You hate seeing a kid in his position not getting a RS year.

Either way, he's gonna be good.
WPS

The NewEra

His athleticism, quick twitch, lateral movement and speed jump off the page to me.  He plays with great intensity.

texas tush hog

Short answer. Yes.

texas tush hog

Quote from: RebelW on December 18, 2017, 07:35:51 am
Lots of raw talent! Might need a redshirt year but the sky is the limit what he could be

Let him redshirt and he leaves in two years instead of three. Would you redshirt Sosa?

The NewEra

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 18, 2017, 09:19:07 am

Let him redshirt and he leaves in two years instead of three. Would you redshirt Sosa?

The previous staff held Sosa out mostly for the first seven games of his Freshman year.  That was a terrible decision when he was needed on the field, plus he would have benefited from the additional snaps.

To your point, we need Ferrell playing now and he can learn on the job.  Save those red shirts for kids who need to develop physically.  Ferrell doesn't.  Besides, with the new offense this team is going to need at least three deep on the D-line.

oldman1015

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 18, 2017, 09:19:07 am

He is not Sosa. There are very few Sosa's.

texas tush hog

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 18, 2017, 09:23:24 am
He is not Sosa. There are very few Sosa's.

Agree to disagree, kid is special. Alabama does not recruit marginal kids from Arkansas.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 08:07:33 am
Cortez Kennedy

Kennedy is in the NFL HOF so this could be more than good.

zebradynasty

I don't think he's better than Sosa more like Bijohn coming out high school. He has better feet and hands than Bijohn or Capps. It would be nice if he could redshirt. A year to remake his body and get use to college academics could make him a monster later. DL coming from a small school is hard to judge him being 50-70 (or more) pounds heavier than anyone he played against sometimes can skew the talent. But there is no doubt this kid is big and quick.

010HogFan

He has the potential to be better than Sosa.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 18, 2017, 09:25:55 am

Agree to disagree, kid is special. Alabama does not recruit marginal kids from Arkansas.

He has athleticism you can't coach, but he also lacks a lot of skills you can. Defensive linemen in the SEC can get abused if they aren't sound fundamentally. He screams potential, but he looks like someone who would benefit from a red shirt year.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

#1 STUNNA

They recruit their backups from arkansas.

Pinto

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 18, 2017, 09:27:30 am
I don't think he's better than Sosa more like Bijohn coming out high school. He has better feet and hands than Bijohn or Capps. It would be nice if he could redshirt. A year to remake his body and get use to college academics could make him a monster later. DL coming from a small school is hard to judge him being 50-70 (or more) pounds heavier than anyone he played against sometimes can skew the talent. But there is no doubt this kid is big and quick.

A lot better than Bijhon was coming out. May not be as strong though. But def more potential than Bijhon

elksnort

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 18, 2017, 01:04:09 am

I know nothing about this young man. I don't follow recruiting like many of you. With this being said, if a guy is 331 lbs and has a 24 inch vertical, I would have to say this guy is an athlete.

elksnort

Quote from: factchecker on December 17, 2017, 11:25:54 pm
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6188103/5a0cd33702bc970c2402c689
I only needed to see about 1 minute of this. I realize the competition is not elite, but all you have to do is watch this guy move. That is a big ole boy who can move and move with athleticism.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pinto on December 18, 2017, 09:58:18 am
A lot better than Bijhon was coming out. May not be as strong though. But def more potential than Bijhon

You may be right, but Bijhon was rated much higher. He never performed up to that rating at Arkansas. Not sure whether he was misevaluated or underperformed, but he was a must get for Bielema when he chose the Razorbacks. Very similar to Agim.

GuvHog

Yep, Alabama offered Ferrell a full ride before Arkansas jumped into the picture. That tells me all I need to know about him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 18, 2017, 09:53:02 am
They recruit their backups from arkansas.

Saban asks his backups to blueshirt or Redshirt. He doesm't offer them full rides. Remember Darius Philon??

bphi11ips

Quote from: elksnort on December 18, 2017, 11:25:33 am
I only needed to see about 1 minute of this. I realize the competition is not elite, but all you have to do is watch this guy move. That is a big ole boy who can move and move with athleticism.

Looks like a people eater who can control run gaps. We need more of those.

Captain Morgan

Why can I not find 40 times and bench presses on the recruiting sites?

IronHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 11:26:08 am
You may be right, but Bijhon was rated much higher. He never performed up to that rating at Arkansas. Not sure whether he was misevaluated or underperformed, but he was a must get for Bielema when he chose the Razorbacks. Very similar to Agim.

He's never come close to being in shape at Arkansas

Kirkland managed to back door into the NFL but same story with him under B.B.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hopeful Hog

Shouldn't this be in the recruiting forum?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 11:33:49 am
Saban asks his backups to blueshirt or Redshirt. He doesm't offer them full rides. Remember Darius Philon??

He offered Philon a full ride until he rescinded it on NSD.  Could have happened to Ferrell for all we know.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bphi11ips

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 11:38:25 am
He offered Philon a full ride until he rescinded it on NSD.  Could have happened to Ferrell for all we know.

Ferrell didn't have an offer until CCM got here. Ferrell accepted almost immediately.

IronHog

Philon had an injury

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 11:33:49 am

what arkansas player has been a starter at Bama? A back up at Alabama could be a starter here. Thats why we cant lose recruits to other elite programs.

IronHog

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 18, 2017, 11:48:05 am
what arkansas player has been a starter at Bama? A back up at Alabama could be a starter here. Thats why we cant lose recruits to other elite programs.

Philon and Flowers woulda started at Bama.  Two in state players Tide missed on

GuvHog

Actually Saban rescinded Philon's full ride a few days before signing day. That gave an Arkansas commitment at the same school time to talk him into committing to Arkansas sight unseen. It could have happened to Ferrell but that's unlikely. If it were a question of an available scholarship as it was with Philon, Saban would probably have had him hold off on signing until February in case a spot opened up.

Knot2brite

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 18, 2017, 07:50:33 am
They play different spots with different skillsets. Find some film on a more athletic 330 pounder than Ferrell. We'll wait. Billy has so much upside. Unfair to compare the two at this point but I think Ferrell winds up the better pro.
Actually Ferrell lined up at DE and DT against us so I guess they do sort of play the same position. Here is a thought...maybe if he didn't weigh 330 and got back down to 300 he would be a little faster. The kid can be a monster if he improves his overal conditioning. He already is aggressive and explosive but a redshirt year tomget him in peak physical shape would do him wonders

RebelliousHog

Has good potential and is shifty, but remember, he is bigger than almost every O-lineman in 3A football.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: RebelW on December 18, 2017, 07:35:51 am
lol - Physically he could play in the league now but ok.

NotSoFastMyFriend

He's not going to RS. Raw or not he is good enough to out-talent guys in year one. Instant difference maker. Expect to see him in goal line on offense as well. Excellent pass-catcher who can basketball defenders in the endzone. Go watch his JR film - he had several TD catches at TE. He's a freakshow. Just stop with the uneducated "redshirt" talk. He's playing next year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 18, 2017, 11:45:05 am
Ferrell didn't have an offer until CCM got here. Ferrell accepted almost immediately.

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 11:45:52 am

Philon had an injury

My point was to counter Guv's claim that Philon didn't have full ride offer from Bama.  He did.  Bama rescinded.  The reason doesn't matter.

Quote from: GuvHog on December 18, 2017, 11:50:41 am
Actually Saban rescinded Philon's full ride a few days before signing day. That gave an Arkansas commitment at the same school time to talk him into committing to Arkansas sight unseen. It could have happened to Ferrell but that's unlikely. If it were a question of an available scholarship as it was with Philon, Saban would probably have had him hold off on signing until February in case a spot opened up.

See, even Guv now admits so.  Yet as I recall, it occured on NSD when Philon was called out of his HS's signing ceremony before he could sign.  I reserve the right to be wrong, of course. 

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: IronHog on December 18, 2017, 11:50:38 am

Philon and Flowers woulda started at Bama.  Two in state players Tide missed on

Those guys arent from Arkansas

elksnort

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 18, 2017, 02:31:37 pm
Those guys arent from Arkansas
Yeah, they are from Alabama, thus "in state" to Alabama.

zebradynasty

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 18, 2017, 01:41:14 pm
He's not going to RS. Raw or not he is good enough to out-talent guys in year one. Instant difference maker. Expect to see him in goal line on offense as well. Excellent pass-catcher who can basketball defenders in the endzone. Go watch his JR film - he had several TD catches at TE. He's a freakshow. Just stop with the uneducated "redshirt" talk. He's playing next year.

I think everyone is impressed with this kid...just not ready to hand him a starting position before he sets foot on campus! Like I said it's hard to put talent in perspective when the level of competition is not very high. You normally don't "out talent" opponents as a true freshman on the DL in the SEC. As a true freshman, he'll be going against kids that are physically more mature and experienced as most schools redshirt their incoming OL if at all possible, that one year makes a difference. Also, I don't know if it's true, but if this kid had academic concerns coming out of high school you can multiply it times 10 when he reaches college. Playing college football and being a student is tough on a kid even when they make good grades in high school and make 24 on the ACT. He'll have some of the best academic support money can buy up there but giving him a year to acclimate on the field and classroom isn't the end of the world.   

IronHog

Quote from: elksnort on December 18, 2017, 11:20:55 am
I know nothing about this young man. I don't follow recruiting like many of you. With this being said, if a guy is 331 lbs and has a 24 inch vertical, I would have to say this guy is an athlete.

24 in vert is OK but not exactly Jason Peters #'s

Knot2brite

The greatest disservice they could do to him is NOT redshirting him. He isn't ready for the league and he won't be ready for the SEC until he gets physically stronger and his body matures.

oldman1015

Slow down there big guy. They make medication that will help you.