Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Singleton's Air Force Bloodlines

Started by JIHawg, March 02, 2015, 09:58:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

His daddy was an air force master sergeant.  Think Tiger's father.  It's understandable he would go to the Air Force Academy.  It's not an easy place to get in, you start with a letter from your congressman, and there better not be a blip on your background check.

I recently spent a day touring this fine institution.  Know what Coach did every morning his freshman year before any of us got out of bed-cleaned toilets for the upperclassmen.  When he went to a meal, he marched in formation.  His average class load-21 hours. And rocket science was one of those courses.   Add to that three hours of football practice every day-he had to be pretty good at time management.   And disciplined and dedicated.

I have never been around a more impressive group of young people.  All high achievers.  Singleton did something that was unheard of-he got elected co-captain his junior year.  That's usually reserved for seniors.  The best of the best.  Air Force had two ten-win seasons while he was there-not done before.

How much of all this translates onto the practice field at Arkansas, into games, onto the recruiting trail-we don't know.  But the bloodlines are there for an uncommon man.

DeltaBoy

Thanks for that Background information.  He sounds like a great hire.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

longtimeHogfan

We have a family member that went through the Naval Academy several years ago.  Their demands on young men/women parallel closely with that of the Air Force Academy and West Point.  Honor, integrity, work ethic, country....these institutions repeatedly turn out the best of the best.  Coach Singleton is indeed an uncommon man and we are lucky to have him.     
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

nchogg

Never been to either one. But listening to Coach Singletons introduction and the way he spoke and carried himself tells me he is a man of extremely high character. He will love his players and they will be accountable on and off the field to always do the right thing. I'am impressed with him just like all of our other coaches. He is good for the University and the football team. Glad to have you Coach Singleton.

oldhawg

If you get the opportunity, visit the campuses, talk to some of the cadets and midshipmen.  It does not take long to acquire a sense of shared pride in what all of these young men and women are accomplishing---- for themselves and for us.

rusvegashog

One of only 6 players in the history of the program to be a two time captain. I'm not sure what that means, but it was the thing upon hire that impressed me most.

Kyle

The Academy is a top tier institution. The athletes have a much better quality of life there than the other cadets, and the requirements to get in can be worked around for them.

I work with a guy that played TE there when Singleton was a coach and he was thrilled to hear about the hire. He said Calhoun was very good about writing recommendations for his coaches.

welchog

Think Coach K only football.  And he played for Knight to boot.