Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deon Stewart question

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 02, 2015, 07:33:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

I watched a nice highlight video on a pay site for Deon Stewart, the wide receiver from Highland HS in Hardy who is a Razorback now.

You know that football on that level has a lot of small, slow kids. Class 4A spans a very wide range of programs, in terms of quality of competition.

Stewart did things in high school he won't be able to do in college, such as catch a ball in a crowd of receivers and run away from them before anybody could touch him. That guy must have been scary to opponents. A 6-1 receiver is unusual on that level, to begin with, and with that kind of speed - he looked untouchable.

If you look at his senior stats -- 49 catches, 1,005 yards, 11 touchdowns -- well, La'Michael Pettway scored 18 touchdowns at Nashville. Dominique Reed scored 14 touchdowns at Camden Fairview his senior year before going to junior college.

Can anybody give us a sense of how good Deon Stewart could be in college? Are we talking Derek Russell, or maybe a step down from that level?
[CENSORED]!

#1 STUNNA

The best receivers we have had in the past ten years have come from 4A schools..

Peter Porker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 02, 2015, 07:33:20 am
I watched a nice highlight video on a pay site for Deon Stewart, the wide receiver from Highland HS in Hardy who is a Razorback now.

You know that football on that level has a lot of small, slow kids. Class 4A spans a very wide range of programs, in terms of quality of competition.

Stewart did things in high school he won't be able to do in college, such as catch a ball in a crowd of receivers and run away from them before anybody could touch him. That guy must have been scary to opponents. A 6-1 receiver is unusual on that level, to begin with, and with that kind of speed - he looked untouchable.

If you look at his senior stats -- 49 catches, 1,005 yards, 11 touchdowns -- well, La'Michael Pettway scored 18 touchdowns at Nashville. Dominique Reed scored 14 touchdowns at Camden Fairview his senior year before going to junior college.

Can anybody give us a sense of how good Deon Stewart could be in college? Are we talking Derek Russell, or maybe a step down from that level?

Not near as fast as Derek Russell. Russell had elite speed.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

whippersnapper

The 3-4A has been arguably the weakest conference in 4A year in and year out the last 5 seasons. But our coaches did more then just watch Stewart on a highlight film. So I am going with their judgement

The_Iceman

Definitely a guy that is going to get a redshirt year and a couple years total to develop physically before stepping onto the field. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

IBleedRazorbackRed

If they can add the necessary weight and maintain his speed, he'll be good in a couple years.

bennyl08

The trick, imo, is to try and compare speeds relative to the ground rather than the opposing players. He's a guy who will be a bit quicker than fast, but I think he will be plenty fast enough. Joe Adams was in the mid 4.5's with his forty time time. Granted, he didn't do very well in any of the combine drills, a better player than tester.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

I can't really think of a specific WR we have had that he is reminiscent of, but I would say he is a hybrid between Anthony Lucas and Jarius Wright.  He has similar speed to both of those guys and he stands 6'1 which is in between the 5'10" JW and 6'3" Anthony Lucas.  He reminds me of both of those guys fused into one body.  If he can achieve what either achieved at Arkansas, he will have done well.

ballhogger

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 02, 2015, 09:22:22 am
I can't really think of a specific WR we have had that he is reminiscent of, but I would say he is a hybrid between Anthony Lucas and Jarius Wright.  He has similar speed to both of those guys and he stands 6'1 which is in between the 5'10" JW and 6'3" Anthony Lucas.  He reminds me of both of those guys fused into one body.  If he can achieve what either achieved at Arkansas, he will have done well.
He is not 6'1.  That is being pretty generous.  I would say he is 5'10 - 5'11.  I am 6'1 and I am a couple of inches taller than him.  I stood next to him the other day.  I think a Jarius or Joe is a fair comparison. He moves a lot like Joe to me but that may not be the case.  I hope he turns out to be as good as either.

DeltaBoy

Get him red shirt and put him out there.  I expect him to do fine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorson

Saw him play .Wasnt  that impressed with him. Our corner ran him down from behind kept him from scoring, was more inpressed with Avery Jhonson the ASU signee, but he's a razorback and I wish him much success.

joshUARK

Pretty sure Deon was one of the players Bret's said would probably play. They like him a ton.

hawgwild child

Maybe a Richard Smith type of guy??

jgphillips3

Quote from: ballhogger on March 02, 2015, 09:30:54 am
He is not 6'1.  That is being pretty generous.  I would say he is 5'10 - 5'11.  I am 6'1 and I am a couple of inches taller than him.  I stood next to him the other day.  I think a Jarius or Joe is a fair comparison. He moves a lot like Joe to me but that may not be the case.  I hope he turns out to be as good as either.

You are probably right on the height thing, but I think Lucas was more like 6'1" or slightly over and J. Wright was 5'8" to 5'9".  They always list them taller than they are so I still think Deon is somewhere in between them but you may very well be right in your comparison.  I don't think Deon is shifty like Joe Adams and is more a get vertical fast guy like J. Wright but I would love to see that I'm wrong about that.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hawgwild child on March 02, 2015, 02:51:42 pm
Maybe a Richard Smith type of guy??
probably a good comparison. I trust our coaches evaluation of him.
Woo pigs
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

donk

Quote from: razorson on March 02, 2015, 10:00:03 am
Saw him play .Wasnt  that impressed with him. Our corner ran him down from behind kept him from scoring, was more inpressed with Avery Jhonson the ASU signee, but he's a razorback and I wish him much success.

I saw them play a couple of times.  Good HS player but the competition is horrible so who knows.  I do know this Avery Johnson looked real good.  Much bigger and look just as fast to me.  I think ASU got a steal.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

monster30

Can u please post the clip of your corner running him down from behind?

sickboy

Avery Johnson has loads of potential.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

If CBB and staff like him then I like him.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

PonderinHog

Those NEA guys are deceptively slow.  Ricepig can confirm this.

usf15cc

I really don't care how fast he is. Can he catch the ball? Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest but Lord knows he could catch the ball.

Dudeman

Highland high school...in Highland. Hardy is a different town.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

(notOM)Rebel123

He showed pretty good speed vs Midland, TX Christian at the 1:20 mark
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1783102/highlights/180435375/v2
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pork Twain

Quote from: Dudeman on March 03, 2015, 02:36:31 am
Highland high school...in Highland. Hardy is a different town.
I know...  Having grown up in Mammoth and most of my family going to either Highland or Williford, I always find this funny.  Highland HS is almost exactly half way between Hardy and Ash Flat.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 03, 2015, 05:57:57 am
I know...  Having grown up in Mammoth and most of my family going to either Highland or Williford, I always find this funny.  Highland HS is almost exactly half way between Hardy and Ash Flat.

Don't forget The Village.  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2015, 10:41:30 pm
Those NEA guys are deceptively slow.  Ricepig can confirm this.

Wait, didn't any DB's run me down from behind.....of course, Rector was only in their second year of playing football.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Kid looks legit to me.. Very elusive and great hands. Very fluid in his motions like a puma. He's gonna be a good one...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogWall Jackson

Probably not ever a big Time SEC player, but he could emerge into a great Special Teams guy. Effort counts more than many understand.

Deep Shoat

I think you guys are too enamored with fake 40 times. 

Stewart will be a very good player for us.
All Gas, No Brakes!

razorbacksnum1

Let me preface my comments by saying I hope this kid proves me wrong and is an absolute super star player for the Hogs. I've seen him play in person a couple of times and I left shocked both times that he was a D1 prospect. He did not stand out in the least against very, very weak competition.

HogDaddy

Let me preface my comments by saying I'm not an evaluator of D1 talent but there were at least six coaching staffs who are. I've watched him play in person for three years and he is very fluid, cuts on a dime, and gets north and south in a hurry. Give him a good RS year and I believe he'll contribute.

ricepig

Quote from: HogDaddy on March 03, 2015, 01:51:28 pm
Let me preface my comments by saying I'm not an evaluator of D1 talent but there were at least six coaching staffs who are. I've watched him play in person for three years and he is very fluid, cuts on a dime, and gets north and south in a hurry. Give him a good RS year and I believe he'll contribute.

I agree, once he gets stronger, he'll contribute. I figure he's a redshirt candidate, for sure.

JackJohnson

I think in time DS could be really good with proper development.  Really good offer list for a kid that comes from a school that I don't believe has ever produced a D1 signee, so you know the talent has to be there

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on March 03, 2015, 12:49:58 pm
Probably not ever a big Time SEC player, but he could emerge into a great Special Teams guy. Effort counts more than many understand.

Hi, Ray! Long time.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 03, 2015, 06:04:02 am
Don't forget The Village.  ;)
Everyone forgets the village.  Good ole lake Thunderbird, or is that Ozark Acres...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 03, 2015, 06:24:04 pm
Everyone forgets the village.  Good ole lake Thunderbird, or is that Ozark Acres...
Lake T'Bird is in CV. Is Lake Vagabond in Ozarks Acres?

Pork Twain

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 03, 2015, 07:19:42 pm
Lake T'Bird is in CV. Is Lake Vagabond in Ozarks Acres?
Man you are good...  What part of that area were you from?

HoggusMaximus

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 03, 2015, 07:26:34 pm
Man you are good...  What part of that area were you from?

Cv South Golf Course.

HogWall Jackson

March 03, 2015, 11:01:20 pm #40 Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:10:11 am by HogWall Jackson
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 03, 2015, 05:45:59 pm
Hi, Ray! Long time.

Randy, it's nice to hear from you too. I just like to see kids like this do well but it will be tough for him. He may be able to specialize and play well on some Special Teams. I'll leave that to the coaches which are the Best group at Arkansas since Lou Holt's crew in 77' and 78'.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 03, 2015, 05:45:59 pm
Hi, Ray! Long time.

Randy, just let the coaches do their jobs. They seem to be doing pretty well tight now. They must have seen something in this kid. I hope he makes it.