Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A New Direction

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 28, 2015, 12:15:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

It is interesting how the "worm has turned" with regard to Arkansas football. Today there is perhaps no greater emphasis on the quality of the individual person, as well as the quality of the player, as there has been in some time at Arkansas.

Some programs will take the "marginal" individual player who demonstrates what is perceived as being lesser academic or character traits, but who has superior athletic ability, in the hope that they can be "managed" during their time with the team and hopefully help them win a conference or national championship.

At Arkansas, and perhaps at other programs, there is a greater emphasis on the overall quality of the individual player as a member of the program and as a quality citizen at the University that they represent.

If you have freely joined an organization that requires that you be at a certain place at a certain time on appointed days, and the expectation is that you excel in prescribed ways, you had better be there and be on time and reach those goals. It doesn't matter if you agree with the policy and expectations, it is the policy and expectations that you agreed to when you joined the organization and the organization feels it is important and so that is all that you need to know.

And if you don't want to adhere to these rules and expectations/goals, then you have a choice, either change your attitude and do what they ask and work harder or you can find another organization whose rules and expectations you do want to follow.

When you join this team, you aren't just joining Arkansas, you are joining the Army of Bielema and there are very definite and defined rules and expectations of the achievement of goals that you were made aware of prior to joining and that you will be expected to fulfill. I doubt that it is a very complex set of rules or goals and I also doubt that there is anyone who joined this Army who can honestly say, "I didn't know that before I joined".

I am proud of the direction that Bielema is taking this team.
Go Hogs Go!

Oklahawg

I am pleased this is happening. I (naive though it may be) think you can win, and win big, while doing things the "right way" off the field.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 28, 2015, 12:18:35 pm
I am pleased this is happening. I (naive though it may be) think you can win, and win big, while doing things the "right way" off the field.

College football programs, in the effort to win more, despite how it occurs, have forgotten what the entire process is supposed to be about, while finding a way to win at the same time. It is a difficult process without a doubt, but far from impossible.
Go Hogs Go!

flagstaffhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 28, 2015, 12:15:09 pm
It is interesting how the "worm has turned" with regard to Arkansas football. Today there is perhaps no greater emphasis on the quality of the individual person, as well as the quality of the player, as there has been in some time at Arkansas.

Some programs will take the "marginal" individual player who demonstrates what is perceived as being lesser academic or character traits, but who has superior athletic ability, in the hope that they can be "managed" during their time with the team and hopefully help them win a conference or national championship.

At Arkansas, and perhaps at other programs, there is a greater emphasis on the overall quality of the individual player as a member of the program and as a quality citizen at the University that they represent.

If you have freely joined an organization that requires that you be at a certain place at a certain time on appointed days, and the expectation is that you excel in prescribed ways, you had better be there and be on time and reach those goals. It doesn't matter if you agree with the policy and expectations, it is the policy and expectations that you agreed to when you joined the organization and the organization feels it is important and so that is all that you need to know.

And if you don't want to adhere to these rules and expectations/goals, then you have a choice, either change your attitude and do what they ask and work harder or you can find another organization whose rules and expectations you do want to follow.

When you join this team, you aren't just joining Arkansas, you are joining the Army of Bielema and there are very definite and defined rules and expectations of the achievement of goals that you were made aware of prior to joining and that you will be expected to fulfill. I doubt that it is a very complex set of rules or goals and I also doubt that there is anyone who joined this Army who can honestly say, "I didn't know that before I joined".

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 28, 2015, 12:18:35 pm

Me too, Oklahawg. Me too. Great post by Muskogee.

GO HOGS GO!
Go HOGS Go!

Hoggish1

Well said, Muskogee.  You know what they say about one bad apple...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 28, 2015, 12:48:41 pm
Well said, Muskogee.  You know what they say about one bad apple...

I'm not going to say that any of our kids are "bad apples", but every program across college football finds kids that they signed or chose not to pursue, who either can't or won't adhere to what they expect.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

We are still a college football program, instead of mini-NFL.

I LIKE that. A lot.

And yes, we can still win. The impact of good coaching cannot be measured.

DoctorSusscrofa

I like what CBB is doing too. But if he doesn't win 8 games this coming year the boobirds will be out in force, anyway. Ultimately coaches keep their jobs by winning. I think he will and I'm happy how he's running things. But in D1 he's ultimately got to win. And year 3 has to be clearly better than year 1 or 2. If it isn't there's no way we recruit the athletes we need in order to win 10 next year.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Peter Porker

Is this in reference to the debate on the locked JoJo Robinson thread?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

You said,

"It was about "who" is going to be responsible for "what" in terms of recruiting in Florida, not that we had any issues with players. This is how inaccurate rumors get started."

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

JIHawg

Agree totally MHF. Well said.

As One Direction says, "it's funny how the night changes."

pigroots

This will keep us perpetually competitive. Another program that recruits similar type players is TCU. They are a tough hard-nosed bunch and the Hogs are establishing themselves as that type of team. I like it!

Hawgzinbowlz

When a program 'does it the right way' they are in the minority, when compared to the overall D-1 football landscape. 
Taking 'marginal' players (both academically and socially), paying players, looking the other way, etc. etc., is becoming the norm.
If CBB is successful with 'doing it the right way',(and it appears he will be), it speaks to the standards set by the administration, the effort required by CBB/Staff to sign players that will take us to Atlanta (and at the same time being socially responsible while not being 4-5 star top heavy) and the level of respect The Razorback Program commands.
An integral part of 'doing it right' is enforcing the standards that are communicated to each recruit. If a red line is established, enforce it. I believe, 100%, that we are witnessing this enforcement.
CBB has exhibited the human side of allowing players 2nd chances, and likely more, while removing any player that refuses to acceptably improve unacceptable behavior.
In the short term it may seem the win at all costs mentality is the easier path to quick success although when sanctions, player dismissal,, damage to team fabric and other repercussions are factored in I prefer making every effort to 'do it the right way' and let the chips fall where they may.
If and when we get to Atlanta CBB needs to be voted in for SEC/National Coach of the Year.
I'm looking forward to the season.

" GO HOGS "

Grunt

"Army of Bielema" I like that.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Peter Porker

"We will redefine our area in Florida just to make sure we are clean there. I think it was very evident that our name in Florida is very, very strong and we want to make sure that we are broad-based not just doing... really the four or five of the issues internally that we are having on the team are a little bit of kids that we really didn't probably do our due diligence on and we are going through a little transition to make sure they know what it means to be a Razorback. You know going to school, doing the things we are asking them to do and we've got to make sure we are clean in those areas."

murthage

If you want to know how important a good set of "rules" that includes, education, athletics, and the family attitude for guiding a young mans time away from classes and on the field.... just revisit the radio broadcast of "Mama Tretola" praising the Arkansas staff for taking care of her "baby" after his TD pass.  Every recruits family should hear her praise for the coaches who committed to take care of her son throughout his college life.  Mama's care what the environment is, and whether or not she can sleep at night, or worry about what her son is doing, or learning while away from home, usually for the first time.

Arazorbackguy1

What you are describing is the effect of money on sports.  Jameis Winston is a prime example of this. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Steef

Recruit on visit with his mama: "Coach? (wink wink) What classes am I going to have to attend?"
Bret: "All of 'em."
Mama: "That sounds good, Coach Bret."

Mama leaves room to visit with professors.

Recruit: "Coach, now that mama's gone, I'm not gonna have to..."
Bret: "Yes, son. You are. You have to take those classes and pass them."
Recruit: "I was just at Big Recruiting, at one of your conference competitors and THAT Coach said I didn't."
Bret: "Then perhaps you should go there."
Silence.
Recruit: "So if I stay for the rest of my visit, will the sororities...?"
Bret: "Our girls will show you around the campus if you like."
Recruit: "Not what I meant. The girls at... they PAY them to be 'hostesses'".
Bret: "Still think you should go there."

Mama comes back in the room.

Recruit: "Mama, I think we need to go back to..."
Mama: "Son, I LIKE this staff! They are going to take care of you! You're gonna be a Hog!"
Bret: "No mam. I'm truly sorry. But he's not."

tusksincolorado

Refreshing....and very very PROUD!

GO HAWGS!!!  :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 28, 2015, 08:55:39 pm
"We will redefine our area in Florida just to make sure we are clean there. I think it was very evident that our name in Florida is very, very strong and we want to make sure that we are broad-based not just doing... really the four or five of the issues internally that we are having on the team are a little bit of kids that we really didn't probably do our due diligence on and we are going through a little transition to make sure they know what it means to be a Razorback. You know going to school, doing the things we are asking them to do and we've got to make sure we are clean in those areas."

Muskogee, please explain where I was wrong in assuming this meant we may have some character ussues from Florida. You admonished me pretty good and said that this was "how inaccurate rumors are started."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 28, 2015, 04:13:56 pm
I like what CBB is doing too. But if he doesn't win 8 games this coming year the boobirds will be out in force, anyway. Ultimately coaches keep their jobs by winning. I think he will and I'm happy how he's running things. But in D1 he's ultimately got to win. And year 3 has to be clearly better than year 1 or 2. If it isn't there's no way we recruit the athletes we need in order to win 10 next year.

10 next year (16) will be a helluva stretch considering we will have a first year QB...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

March 01, 2015, 05:22:21 pm #22 Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:20:48 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Peter Porker on March 01, 2015, 02:38:26 pm
Muskogee, please explain where I was wrong in assuming this meant we may have some character ussues from Florida.

When I initially listened to that presser I thought Bielema was talking about cleaning up recruiting responsibilities in Florida. When I listened to it again, I still think that is what he was talking about, but he did also mention that he wanted to make sure that all of the due dilligence that they perform in evaluating recruits is followed, because they have 4 or 5 kids that they are having to give a refresher to in terms of what is expected of them in this program, and it sounds as if (and this is an assumption) some of the issues may stem from things that might have been overlooked in the staff's evaluation process.

What isn't clear, and some just assume because he happened to be talking about Florida recruiting at the time, is whether all of these 4-5 are from Florida alone.

The positive to take from this is that they aren't playing games with the kids and they are holding them accountable. Bielema is refreshingly and sometimes surprisingly honest as a HC. We have had HC's in recent years who would talk about a kid having a problem when it became public and they had to, but I have seen few who will admit that they have some unnamed kids that they are having to "plumb up".
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 01, 2015, 03:56:25 pm
10 next year (16) will be a helluva stretch considering we will have a first year QB...

Not exactly. Won't we have a 3rd year, first time starter if it is Austin Allen?
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

From day one, when he had his press conference, I loved that he said we were going to target uncommon men.  He said he wants kids that believe in family, and value a family atmosphere.  I've always felt that a good "team" is always a threat to beat good collection of talent. 

Most fans don't want to hear it, but now more than ever, the only way a school like Arkansas is going to achieve greatness is with time, and doing things the right way.  We have to field a cohesive team with upper classmen who have developed, and are playing well above the level they were when they enrolled.  Whether you believe in CBB's style, or wish the on the field product looked a little different or not, the MOST important thing for us is stability right now. 

We have to be able to get classes like this one, keep them on the field, and see how it looks when they've been developed for 3-4 years.  Regardless of how it looks this year or next, until we have a field full of upper classmen that BB recruited and who have developed under his system, it's not really an accurate measure.  If we see obvious regression, then I think everyone would have reason for concern, but outside of that, we should all be on the BB bus and see how this plays out. 

2016 may be tough.  It may be tough this season if BA gets hurt.  Fans have to be cognizant of the fact that excelling as a first year starter in the SEC is rare, but doing it as a Fr. is even more rare.  So...we'll have to have some patience with whoever is under center in 2016, but I think overall...we should be on track for big things in the years beyond that. 

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe in BB's strategy, and I've said from day one that it could be our niche.  We have a MUCH better shot at that, then we do trying to compete with the experienced cheaters.  We have a much better chance of beating Auburn on the field in the coming years than we do at beating them at cheating!!  That's just one example.  Why not try to do it differently?     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bigbadhog

"Beliema's army" was coined on hogville long ago and has a totally different meaning...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigbadhog on March 01, 2015, 07:08:54 pm
"Beliema's army" was coined on hogville long ago and has a totally different meaning...

Well thanks, I think. I wasn't necessarily trying to coin a new phrase.
Go Hogs Go!