Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Financial Aid Agreement penalties

Started by tc_mem, February 26, 2015, 05:40:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tc_mem

"Because the prospect didn’t enroll at LSU, the Tigers cannot sign any players to financial aid agreements for the next two seasons. In addition, LSU will also lose 21 — 10 percent — of its 2015 recruiting evaluation days."

Looks like there are strict rules on FAA if the player doesn't come to campus!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/report-lsu-slapped-recruiting-sanctions/

lahawg1

Couldn't happen to a better school unless is was an Alabama school

MultipleScoreGasms

I know there are advantages to having a recruit sign a FAA, but man that's a stiff penalty.  A school could do everything above board, and the kid could just change his mind.  Doesn't seem right to punish a program for following the rules.

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on February 26, 2015, 06:58:19 pm
I know there are advantages to having a recruit sign a FAA, but man that's a stiff penalty.  A school could do everything above board, and the kid could just change his mind.  Doesn't seem right to punish a program for following the rules.

HAHAHA !!  oh wait, hmmm...yeah you may be right, especially if say unnamed school A. - Bama is aware of the FAA agreement then waits till later
and offers a player a Cammy type stipend,  just to punish a big rival...school B. - Louise U.

Can't believe there isn't more going on here...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

usf15cc

Hope that this never happens to our hogs!!!!
We've signed a few to those agreements if i'm not mistaken.

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: usf15cc on February 26, 2015, 08:06:46 pm
Hope that this never happens to our hogs!!!!
We've signed a few to those agreements if i'm not mistaken.

This is probably why CBB says he won't sign a recruit to a FAA unless he is absolutely certain the kid is coming.  It is a little scary since we have 8 this year.

italian9005

ricepig

Hog Nutt

Then the kid should be punished too. He's the one that signed and back out, not the school. Yes, I know, it's LSU, but that's ridiculous by the SEC.

MultipleScoreGasms

Yeah, but no one punishes the school when they pull a kid's scholarship and turn him out.  The kid still has to sit out a year, and may be limited to where he can transfer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog Nutt on February 27, 2015, 07:39:13 am
Then the kid should be punished too. He's the one that signed and back out, not the school. Yes, I know, it's LSU, but that's ridiculous by the SEC.

Agree. Financial aid though gets into a whole different discussion than athletics sometimes. The players need to understand they are signing an agreement to pay for SCHOOL and not just for athletics.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog Nutt

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on February 27, 2015, 07:56:59 am
Yeah, but no one punishes the school when they pull a kid's scholarship and turn him out.  The kid still has to sit out a year, and may be limited to where he can transfer.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime, is all I'm saying.

MultipleScoreGasms

Oh, I don't disagree.  It's just a mess all the way around.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on February 27, 2015, 07:56:59 am

Yes BUT they are still in school somewhere and usually still on scholarship at their new school but just not playing.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jackflash

I believe if they sign a Financial Aid Agreement they should not be able to take any more visits? I am not a LSU fan but don't think this is fair.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: jackflash on February 27, 2015, 08:38:43 am
I believe if they sign a Financial Aid Agreement they should not be able to take any more visits? I am not a LSU fan but don't think this is fair.

All the FAA does is bind the school to the player and allows the coaches to have constant contact and not have to worry about quiet periods and all of that. The kid can sign as many as he wants and it doesn't matter. At first, Gragg was gonna sign one with every one of his final schools, but Bielema wouldn't let him sign one with us. Not until he was 100% certain Gragg was coming here.

Inhogswetrust

February 27, 2015, 10:00:29 am #16 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:43:49 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jackflash on February 27, 2015, 08:38:43 am

The best way to counteract that is have an early LOI signing period. Otherwise IF they couldn't have other visits and such then the FAA would in effect become a binding LOI in and of itself with your belief but I may not have a problem with that either.

Vantage 8 dude

This whole thing is total b.s. In fact I'm still trying to figure out what the real purpose of the whole FAA is. I realize the school gets the advantage of unlimited communication; however, on the other hand they can't rescind the agreement once signed BUT the player can and leave the original school "holding the bag" as in this case to be penalized? So let me get this straight: apparently in order to counter the (sometimes) wrong of a school withdrawing an offer to a recruit we allow the kid to change his mind BUT leave the school with a ludicrous penalty that in this case they had no responsibility in creating.

I would remind everyone of the old adage of "Be careful for what you wish....". If you're going to cackle and gloat that LSU in this case is getting "hung out to dry" be VERY careful 'cause unfortunately it could certainly happen to any program, and that includes our beloved Hogs. Even the best of due diligence when it comes to THINKING you know a kid's intent and character and his integrity in carrying through with his end of the agreement can mean absolutely nothing.

tc_mem

The wording looks a little vague saying they had to much contact with the player.  Once they sign the FAA you are able to have almost unlimited contact and can disregard dead periods.  I wonder if the school treated the recruit the same a normal recruit and obeyed all contact limits and dead periods if there would still be a penalty like this?

hoghiker

Appears to be something to avoid. LSU is howling loudly because it was self reported. According to LSUers, it happens with some regularity without repercussions. Offer, signed deal, back out without any penalties.  I have little doubt there is selective enforcement and it couldn't happen to a nicer set of folks but the NCAA needs to give it up completely or grow a pair.  Of all the shenanigans that whirls around recruiting, this doesn't seem to egregious. They sucker punch a school occasional and set back and wait for the next opportunity. It really is unworkable.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Hog Nutt on February 27, 2015, 07:39:13 am

What I know about SEC/NCAA rules regarding Financial Aid Agreements you can drop in your eye and not blink.  But on the surface it seems the school is being penalized for which it had no, or little, control.  The kid back out.  How do you control a 17/18 kid who changes his mind?  I think there's room to re-write this flawed rule.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on March 01, 2015, 08:04:47 am
What I know about SEC/NCAA rules regarding Financial Aid Agreements you can drop in your eye and not blink.  But on the surface it seems the school is being penalized for which it had no, or little, control.  The kid back out.  How do you control a 17/18 kid who changes his mind?  I think there's room to re-write this flawed rule.

The rule was changed this past year because there were athletes signing more than 1 FAA. The NCAA said fine, you can sign more than one, but if any school but the one you actually attend makes public comment on you, then they will be subject to penalties. The early signing period for Dec, which is expected to be approved by vote this summer, should correct this.

Tusks

I know we all love that the corndogs got dinged but this is a stupid rule. Or it's a stupid rule the way it sits right now.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Cave City Joe

I don't like this rule at all!  Too much room for shenanigans.  Say for instance a Ole Miss coach says, Hey kid go sign a FA with Miss St and then pull out an commit to us.  Let's stick it to them.   Hope they approve early signing period and this goes away.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

RebelliousHog

What I don't get about the situation
1. Student  signs an FAA with a school.
2. Student enrolls in Fine University of Central Kentucky
3. Coaches have UNLIMITED CONTACT.

Why is 3 even and issue? He is legally enrolled in said Uni. Why would coaches NOT have unlimited contact? He is no longer in High School.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

ricepig

Quote from: HenduHog on March 01, 2015, 02:45:01 pm
What I don't get about the situation
1. Student  signs an FAA with a school.
2. Student enrolls in Fine University of Central Kentucky
3. Coaches have UNLIMITED CONTACT.

Why is 3 even and issue? He is legally enrolled in said Uni. Why would coaches NOT have unlimited contact? He is no longer in High School.

The unlimited contact starts as soon as he signs the FAA, we had some sign in Oct, or whenever the first chance they could.

SamBuckhart

The only thing worse would be to have you DC go to the aggies then file a suit against lsu. Not only do I enjoy a good dumpster fire. I am warmed by it.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hoggish1

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 27, 2015, 09:32:11 am
At first, Gragg was gonna sign one with every one of his final schools, but Bielema wouldn't let him sign one with us. Not until he was 100% certain Gragg was coming here.

How can a school/coach be 100% certain of that?

hview

Seems to me like a school is always at risk. The head coach could be 100% confident that the student is coming, yet situations may change and the student may end up not coming.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: tc_mem on February 26, 2015, 05:40:11 pm
"Because the prospect didn't enroll at LSU, the Tigers cannot sign any players to financial aid agreements for the next two seasons. In addition, LSU will also lose 21 — 10 percent — of its 2015 recruiting evaluation days."

Looks like there are strict rules on FAA if the player doesn't come to campus!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/report-lsu-slapped-recruiting-sanctions/

Not taking up for LSU, but the same thing could happen to us.

Too bad.  If their recruits would have just taken some cash, or signed a bunch of autographs for money.....nothing major usually happens.   Yet, if the recruit decides not to enroll at the school after signing a financial aid agreement......the schools gets hit hard with penalties  ???     Sure sounds like the wrong party is getting punished.  I would have to ask....."who violated the agreement.....school or recruit?"

They need to change this rule, or do away with the "financial aid agreement", altogether.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 01, 2015, 09:34:22 pm
How can a school/coach be 100% certain of that?

You make sure they're done with visits, not talking to other coaches, things like that. Wommack's dad said he wasn't expecting his son to sign one because his son still wasn't sure if he was gonna enroll early or even go to lsu. So obviously, lsu wasn't 100% sure. They tried to get unlimited conversation in order to get a leg up on bama and ole miss and it backfired. That's why Bielema waits to have kids sign theirs if there is any doubt at all.