Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calcagni HOF

Started by thirrdegreetusker, February 26, 2015, 08:58:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thirrdegreetusker

I see where Calcagni is in the HOF. I got no problem with that.

But he had the VERY good fortune to play at a time when JFB had amassed an obscene amount of talent, and great success was............ common.

I'll put it this way. If you were a fifth year senior in the '79 season, you experienced three 10-or-more-seasons as a Hog. And one nine-win season.

75 = 10-2
76 = 5-5-1
77 = 11-1
78 = 9-2-1
79 = 10-2

razorbacker3

DoctorSusscrofa

So QBs don't contribute to that?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on February 26, 2015, 09:08:07 am
So QBs don't contribute to that?

That's kinda the point. The program was in such good shape that four different QBs started during those three 10-or-more-win seasons. The year after Calcagni graduated, the next team got 10 wins.....and beat Texas, which Ron never did....

tbhogfan

IMHO, most everyone inducted in this year's class is deserving.   

The only one I would question is Carl Jackson, simply because he is not from Arkansas, has no athletic or coaching ties to Arkansas, and is not an athlete or a coach.   I am sure that he is a fine man, and a great caddie, but I don't think that being the caddie manager at an Arkansas golf course and the once-per-year caddy of a Texas golfer is or should be enough to get one into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.
Go Hogs!

26.2Hog

Quote from: razorbacker3 on February 26, 2015, 09:02:46 am
What HOF is he in?

He's being inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

rljjr

OK, so he didn't beat Texas, but he never lost a bowl game and was 24-4-2 as a starter. Bowl games: Beat GA, Beat OU, tied UCLA. I think he's still the winningest QB in Hog history, so that has to count for something. The talent around him helped, but if we were bringing in all that talent then he had to beat SOMEBODY out for his job.

Signed, NOT Mrs Calcagni. :-)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: rljjr on February 26, 2015, 10:43:06 am
but he never lost a bowl game and was 24-4-2 as a starter. Bowl games: Beat GA...

He was not the QB when we beat Georgia. He was a true freshman, playing behind Bull and Kirkland (both of whom were drafted by the NFL). He may not have gotten a snap in that Cotton Bowl.

Calling All Hogs

It's just the Arkansas Sports HOF. He probably deserves that just for quarterbacking the 1978 Orange Bowl.

rljjr

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 26, 2015, 11:08:58 am
He was not the QB when we beat Georgia. He was a true freshman, playing behind Bull and Kirkland (both of whom were drafted by the NFL). He may not have gotten a snap in that Cotton Bowl.

Oops, my bad. You're right. Forgot about Scott Bull. Ah, that takes me back.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 26, 2015, 08:58:31 am
I see where Calcagni is in the HOF. I got no problem with that.

But he had the VERY good fortune to play at a time when JFB had amassed an obscene amount of talent, and great success was............ common.

I'll put it this way. If you were a fifth year senior in the '79 season, you experienced three 10-or-more-seasons as a Hog. And one nine-win season.

75 = 10-2
76 = 5-5-1
77 = 11-1
78 = 9-2-1
79 = 10-2

Not all but MOST players in ANY HOF had some good players around them...........They still deserve to get the honor though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Surprised it took this long for him to get in. He quarterbacked one of the best Razorback teams ever. If it weren't for one particular run by Earl Campbell the 77 Hogs might have won a national championship.

Calcagni was a very good veer quarterback and huge part of that team. Any suggestion that he was only good because of the talent around him is nonsense.

PORKULATOR

He deserves it very much. Anyone who thinks he doesn't belong, doesn't know much about past Arkansas football.
He's respected outside the state as well. The guy I contract for claims that he was he favorite Razorback player, favorite SWC player, when he was going to school at Tennessee.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

oldbear

I had the pleasure of sitting with Calcagni at a meeting several years ago at which he was the guest speaker. He probably has no memory of the meeting whatsoever, but he made a great impression on me. He was very kind and humble and spoke well of and lot of people with whom I was familiar. In my mind, not only was he a very good quarterback, but a great guy and I am very proud to have people like him in the hall of fame.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 26, 2015, 02:09:34 pm
Surprised it took this long for him to get in. He quarterbacked one of the best Razorback teams ever. If it weren't for one particular run by Earl Campbell the 77 Hogs might have won a national championship.

Calcagni was a very good veer quarterback and huge part of that team. Any suggestion that he was only good because of the talent around him is nonsense.

Yep.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: oldbear on February 26, 2015, 02:44:40 pm
I had the pleasure of sitting with Calcagni at a meeting several years ago at which he was the guest speaker. He probably has no memory of the meeting whatsoever, but he made a great impression on me. He was very kind and humble and spoke well of and lot of people with whom I was familiar. In my mind, not only was he a very good quarterback, but a great guy and I am very proud to have people like him in the hall of fame.

I remember hearing a rumor one day that he was a loner and not very social. I tracked it down. One of Calcagni's teammates ended up telling me that he came from a difficult financial situation back home.

He had no car, no extra money to socialize with. It was basically eat, sleep, go to class, study and play football for him.

The thing is, he never complained about his situation. I'm sure had they known certain boosters would have been happy to help him. Instead I had to do some investigating just to find out what his situation was.

I've always been a Ron Calcagni fan.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 26, 2015, 04:12:01 pm
I remember hearing a rumor one day that he was a loner and not very social. I tracked it down. One of Calcagni's teammates ended up telling me that he came from a difficult financial situation back home.

He had no car, no extra money to socialize with. It was basically eat, sleep, go to class, study and play football for him.

The thing is, he never complained about his situation. I'm sure had they known certain boosters would have been happy to help him. Instead I had to do some investigating just to find out what his situation was.

I've always been a Ron Calcagni fan.

Count me as one as well.  Loved his bulldog mentality. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

carolinahogger

Agreed.  Calcagni is one of my favorite Razorback QB's, and I remember them back to Ronny South.  He had a swagger about him and he was a winner.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on February 26, 2015, 09:28:40 am

That's kinda the point. The program was in such good shape that four different QBs started during those three 10-or-more-win seasons. The year after Calcagni graduated, the next team got 10 wins.....and beat Texas, which Ron never did....

So....on one hand you try to say that it was because of the program/players around Calcagni... that we had those good seasons.  Yet, you only single Calcagni out, about his teams never beating Texas?  You can't have it both ways.

Calcagni was a very good QB for the system we were in at that time.  He was a winner.
One of Arkansas's biggest bowl wins....31-6 was over OU, in which Calcagni engineered the offense.  He certainly deserves the Arkansas Hall of Fame.  Most Razorback fans that saw that game, will never forget it.  OU was a heavy favorite.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Agree.  Also, the obvious face mask penalty that Texas should have received, when their defender grabbed a (believe it was Calcagni's) face mask around, or inside their 5 yd line.  That would have given us a first & goal somewhere around their  2-3 yard line.  There was an official looking right at the play, & didn't call it. Instead, we had to settle for a field goal. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

TomasPistola

Ron was a customer of mine back when I worked for Alltel. Always a nice guy.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

(notOM)Rebel123

Agree 100%
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Cinco de Hogo

It's got to mean something when a name becomes one of the names you will remember all you life as being one of the best and a favorite Razorback. 

Deserved!

oldbear

I can't quote you, Mike, because I am on my phone, but your story says a lot about him. The poster or posters that give the credit all to his team or the climate about let the time, fail to recognize just how fragile a winning team atmosphere really is. It takes great leadership to sustain winning at that level. The atmosphere t title and conduct of a quarterback has a lot to do with that.

I believe Calcagni's leadership and lack of belly-aching had a lot to do with all those wins.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on February 26, 2015, 11:15:48 amHe probably deserves that just for quarterbacking the 1978 Orange Bowl.

this^^

Tejano Jawg

February 27, 2015, 12:39:00 pm #25 Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:58:25 pm by Tejano Jawg

Wasn't the backbreaker play a screen pass to Earl that he broke big? That was painful.

Anyone in this thread who is even remotely questioning Ron Calcagni's ability—or HOF skins—is out of their mind, or, never saw him play. Maybe the latter.

He did for us (as a comparison) what Auburn's Marshall did in the past 2 years--not the best arm or fastest runner, but ran the offense and made it all go. He was a winner. And yes, that 1977/78 Orange Bowl team was incredible, and would contend today—great at every skill position, practially an all all-conference secondary, great lines on both sides, and one of the best kicking games in NCAA history. Ron was right in the middle of all that.

His senior year, when Eckwood came back from injury to join Cowins in the backfield (WOW!), it was beautiful to watch Ron run the option with those guys. Sometimes he'd get the corner, run for 10-15 yards, then make the pitch to #43 or #28. That was some fun football to watch.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

TrueBlue

There were two VERY bad calls in that Texas game - talk about bad officiating! We were robbed!

Inhogswetrust

Not many Hog players have made the cover of Sports Illustrated.................He did. He deserves induction to the HOF.

P.S. IIRC Only Sidney has made it more than once.........as a Hog and as a Bucks.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 27, 2015, 03:35:56 pm
Not many Hog players have made the cover of Sports Illustrated.................He did. He deserves induction to the HOF.

Harry Jones
Calcagni, Holtz, and a 3rd Razorback I can't remember.
Super Sid
Corliss
D-Mac
Nolan holding the Championship trophy

And Clinton, if you want to count it.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 27, 2015, 03:42:20 pm
Harry Jones
Super Sid
Corliss
D-Mac

The third was Cowins I believe.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 27, 2015, 03:43:55 pm
The third was Cowins I believe.

It was Cowins, and the photo had the caption with their names "of No. 1 Arkansas."  It was their pre-season issue that year and SI picked us no. 1.  Had we not screwed up against Houston (dang you, Ordonez!!), we may very well have done it.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 27, 2015, 04:04:50 pm
It was Cowins, and the photo had the caption with their names "of No. 1 Arkansas."  It was their pre-season issue that year and SI picked us no. 1.  Had we not screwed up against Houston (dang you, Ordonez!!), we may very well have done it.

Ish is good??

rickm1976

And he was one "no-call" on an obvious face mask away from getting him one victory over Texas.  Yeah, I'm a bitter old Hog fan that still hates those Texas refs, but that one cost us dearly.

Joe Davis (USS Razorback)

In the early/mid 80's, Calcagni was Coach at Newark High School.  They came to Cross County to play.  I  was stoked when I heard he was their coach and was coming to our school.  I remember that it was before halftime and they stopped the game, packed their stuff and left.  I think CCHS was leading 35-0 at that time.  The only reason I recall this is that I was just thrilled to get a chance to meet him and this played out instead.  I think I remember why it happened (game related), but I am not 100% so I will leave it at this.

LOVED him as a Hog.  Sure would have liked to have shaken his hand.

thirrdegreetusker

Had we not screwed up against Houston (dang you, Ordonez!!), we may very well have done it.

Wasn't it blocked?

thirrdegreetusker

Harry Jones
Super Sid
Corliss
D-Mac

Beck in 95

PonderinHog

That was the '79 season, you nincompoop!   >:(

DeltaBoy

We meet him at the state capital in LR when we were on a Jr High Field Trip.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rocket23

Harry Jones
Super Sid
Corliss
D-Mac

CFB, DMac, Fred Marshall  75 years of SEC Football Regional Cover
Sidney Moncrief (as an NBA Buck) Taking Aim at the Title
Sidney Moncrief High on the Hogs (Dunking on the Horns!)
John Daly Long Shot  PGA Win
John Daly Long Shot British Open Win
Holtz, Calcagni, Cowins College Football Preview 1978
Harry Jones Arkansas The New Dynasty
Ryan Mallett SEC Preview Regional Cover
Knile Davis SEC Preview Regional Cover
Caleb Miller The Nastiest Rivalry in the NFL Bengals Crunch the Steelers
DMAC 2207 College Football Preview Regional Cover
Corey Beck A Gathering of Champions  The Final Four
President Clinton NCAA Tourney Preview Whooo Pig Sooey! (Made me cringe)
Corliss Williamson Hog Wild NCAA Championship Win
Nolan RichArdson A Heavenly Season NCAA Chamionship Collector's Issue
Lance Alworth SD Chargers Top Pro Receiver

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2015, 08:40:44 am
That was the '79 season, you nincompoop!   >:(

You get to be my age and those long ago seasons tend to blend together.