Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best college jobs

Started by LRrazorback, February 25, 2015, 04:56:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

ESPN insider has a list of coaching jobs. Number 24 is Wisky. Curious if any of you are insiders and can say where we rank?

The_Boot_stops_here

#22, right in front of Miami and right behind Nebraska....top5 of Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio St and Florida

LRrazorback

ChicoHog

Agree on the top 5.  Those 5 should always have good teams.  In fact I would say of those 5 Bama is the toughest to win at but of course Saban has changed that. 

The next 5 should include FSU, LSU, OU, UGA and now I might even put A&M in that group.  Michigan, ND, Tenner, Auburn, Clemson, Penn st, UCLA, Oregon all close. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 25, 2015, 04:58:54 pm
#22, right in front of Miami and right behind Nebraska....top5 of Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio St and Florida

Would you trust someone's judgement that puts us between Miami and Nebraska?  Not me...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 25, 2015, 09:09:50 pm
Would you trust someone's judgement that puts us between Miami and Nebraska?  Not me...

Are you saying that we are a better job or a worse job than both of them? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hogwild

Complete SEC Rankings:
1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Georgia
5. Texas A&M
6. Auburn
7. Tennessee
8. Arkansas
9. South Carolina
10. Ole Miss
11. Missouri
12. Mississippi State
13. Kentucky
14. Vanderbilt

8. Arkansas: Arkansas has a lot going for it, even if it isn't in the heart of the Southeast's most fertile recruiting territory. It's essentially the only team in the state -- something LSU and Georgia can't even say -- and the school has unloaded some funds on improving facilities. However, since the state doesn't typically have a lot of top-notch prospects, coaches must heavily recruit other states such as Texas and Oklahoma.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98420/ranking-the-sec-college-football-coaching-jobs

usf15cc

Quote from: Hogwild on February 25, 2015, 10:40:14 pm
However, since the state doesn't typically have a lot of top-notch prospects, coaches must heavily recruit other states such as Texas and Oklahoma.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/98420/ranking-the-sec-college-football-coaching-jobs
Shows how much ESPN knows since when have we recruited Oklahoma hard?

hawgwash

Quote from: usf15cc on February 25, 2015, 10:44:33 pm
Petrino had some success there.

usf15cc

I count 11 Commits most of them came because of Garrick McGee, and few of them had little to no impact, during their time here.

Uncommon

Quote from: usf15cc on February 25, 2015, 11:21:30 pm
I count 11 Commits most of them came because of Garrick McGee, and few of them had little to no impact, during their time here.
To further emphasize how little Oklahoma we have on our team, on next year's team we'll only have 4 Razorbacks from the state of Oklahoma.

68 OL Austin Beck
TE Austin Cantrell
29 DB Jared Collins
4 WR Keon Hatcher

ArkansasI

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Alabama
4. LSU

5. Tennessee
6. Texas A&M 
7. Missouri
8. South Carolina 
9. Arkansas
10. Auburn
11. Kentucky
12. Ole Miss
13. Mississippi State

14. Vanderbilt*

*Vandy may arguably be a better job than as ranked.  Nashville is a nice city and the expectations are more reasonable than elsewhere.

George S. Pigton

I wouldn't put OK in my top 10, if you don't have the right coach there, you can lose a lot of games.  They have a
lot of tradition but so does Bama.  If the wrong man is heading the program even Bama will struggle as we saw in the
early 2000's.

OK does not produce a lot of kids so they rely upon TX as we know, before Stoops, and recently under Stoops, if
you can't recruit, you can't win.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 26, 2015, 08:34:38 am
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Alabama
4. LSU

5. Tennessee
6. Texas A&M 
7. Missouri
8. South Carolina 
9. Arkansas
10. Auburn
11. Kentucky
12. Ole Miss
13. Mississippi State

14. Vanderbilt*

*Vandy may arguably be a better job than as ranked.  Nashville is a nice city and the expectations are more reasonable than elsewhere.

Academics might be an issue though (Vandy).  Course its private so they might just do whatever they want.  I'd be curious to know how that works for them actually.  Vandy was my #2 back in the day.

LRrazorback

Vanderbilt has one thing going for it and their last coach Franklin took advantage of their one major recruiting advantage...education.  As funny as it may sound you're still going to school to get an education, not every kid will go to the NFL.  So, to offer a kid a $300,000+ education for free, from a prestigious school like Vanderbilt is a heck of a deal.  I heard Franklin's pitch to recruits was something like, "Vanderbilt $300,000+ education vs. Arkansas or anywhere else, $150,000, then you can expect to earn "X" amount (which is more than any other SEC school)."  Not a bad recruiting pitch.

ChicoHog

Quote from: usf15cc on February 25, 2015, 10:44:33 pm
They probably meant because of geography and Fayetteville's proximity to Ok. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 25, 2015, 08:11:58 pm
Agree on the top 5.  Those 5 should always have good teams.  In fact I would say of those 5 Bama is the toughest to win at but of course Saban has changed that. 

Actually a certain former Arkansan changed that a long time ago.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

clutch

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 25, 2015, 09:21:54 pm

I'd say now we are most definitely a better job than Miami. Nebraska is probably pretty close. The Miami job isn't even close to what it once was.

HiggiePiggy

The question really is which ones have better resources and better recruiting grounds.   You have a great coach and he will win anywhere.  You have a bad coach he will lose anywhere.   Certain schools you can win huge if you are a great coach others it takes a little time to build up before you start winning big.   

JansterZ71

Complete SEC Rankings:
1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Georgia
5. Texas A&M
6. Auburn
7. Tennessee
8. Arkansas
9. South Carolina
10. Ole Miss
11. Missouri
12. Mississippi State
13. Kentucky
14. Vanderbilt

8. Arkansas: Arkansas has a lot going for it, even if it isn't in the heart of the Southeast's most fertile recruiting territory. It's essentially the only team in the state -- something LSU and Georgia can't even say -- and the school has unloaded some funds on improving facilities. However, since the state doesn't typically have a lot of top-notch prospects, coaches must heavily recruit other states such as Texas and Oklahoma.

ESPN NAILED THIS LIST
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

NaturalStateReb

The only thing better than being a coach at a major D-1 school is being a former coach at a major D-1 school.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PaintballHog

I think a school like UCF or USF would be perfect. Not alot of pressure and the gold mind of Florida recruiting. Even when the big dogs get their players, the leftovers are usually good enough to win in their conference.

Murr

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 26, 2015, 08:34:38 am14. Vanderbilt*

All the coach has to do is beat Kentucky once and finish 6th or better in the East just one season and their job is secure for another three or four.

Because we don't recruit Oklahoma enough?  :-\

Quote from: George S. Pigton on February 26, 2015, 08:40:42 amOK does not produce a lot of kids so they rely upon TX as we know, before Stoops, and recently under Stoops, if you can't recruit, you can't win.
Stoops has been there too long, just like Richt at Georgia. Everyone has gotten too comfortable with the "we are so close" every year and "if we only make is minor adjustment, we'll win the conference next year" concept.  It sucks for the fans because they'll get their hopes up with a big win against a tough team which will then be followed by a lose to Vandy or Kentucky, thus ruining the season.

HiggiePiggy

At least stoops gets Oklahoma into the championship game every now and then.   Richt will never get his team into a NC game. 

usf15cc

Going into Oklahoma to recruit is like going into Missouri or Mississippi to get players it's tough to beat out those other schools for players. Not enough talent to go around that's why Texas and Florida are so important.

regi

Complete SEC Rankings:
1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Georgia
5. Texas A&M
6. Auburn
7. Tennessee
8. Arkansas
9. South Carolina
10. Ole Miss
11. Missouri
12. Mississippi State
13. Kentucky
14. Vanderbilt

You really can't argue with this list. Those top 6 have a recruiting advantage over Vols and Hogs. It is what it is, but both UT and Arkansas can still win at a high level with the right Coach. Now it should read, heavily recruit Texas and LOUISIANA, bot Oklahoma, but other than that. Not bad

gawntrail

Quote from: clutch on February 26, 2015, 12:47:52 pm
I'd say now we are most definitely a better job than Miami. Nebraska is probably pretty close. The Miami job isn't even close to what it once was.

But, what the Miami job could be...... It could be the USC of the East.  A non-stop reloading of talent year in and year out.  P5 conference with a very manageable path to the ACC CG and then a strong bid for one of the 4 spots in the NC playoff....

I would say the Miami job is potentially top 10.

Darren DeLoach

If the Florida job is so very prominent, why can they not find a big time coach? One would think that a job as revered as Florida would be able to pick their coach from the cream of the crop.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 26, 2015, 11:15:16 pm
If the Florida job is so very prominent, why can they not find a big time coach? One would think that a job as revered as Florida would be able to pick their coach from the cream of the crop.

Because it ain't as good as people think. Florida might be the top state to recruit from, but tradition wise, what was Florida before Spurrier? Facilities? Many schools across the country have good to great facilities. I just don't think Florida is as good as many people want to believe.

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 25, 2015, 09:21:54 pm

We are a far better job than Miami, even though you're close to really great recruiting, their facilities suck worse than some in the Sunbelt.

usf15cc

Quote from: 1highhog on February 27, 2015, 02:14:40 am
We are a far better job than Miami, even though you're close to really great recruiting, their facilities suck worse than some in the Sunbelt.
I also think our support is better too.

clutch

Quote from: gawntrail on February 26, 2015, 11:05:33 pm
But, what the Miami job could be...... It could be the USC of the East.  A non-stop reloading of talent year in and year out.  P5 conference with a very manageable path to the ACC CG and then a strong bid for one of the 4 spots in the NC playoff....

I would say the Miami job is potentially top 10.

I think the path to them being a top 10 program is a lot harder now than most think. Sure, they are surrounded by swarms of talent, but their facilities and fan support are both horrible. Those are two very important factors. They just so happen to he two factors that are hard to fix too.

clutch

Quote from: usf15cc on February 27, 2015, 02:30:11 am
I also think our support is better too.

Way better. I don't think it's even close.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on February 26, 2015, 11:15:16 pm

Well because the top coaches are currently at places they want to be. The really great coaches are already at places that are top 5 programs.