Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Done deal

Started by ricepig, February 25, 2015, 12:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Razorfox on February 26, 2015, 08:58:25 am
Pretty cool that this will be his second time to live in Arkansas.  He was an active duty officer at LRAFB after he left the AFA. 

Fayetteville will seem like the garden of Eden compared to Stillwater....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bphi11ips

Bielema has added another uncommon man.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Quote from: southeasthog on February 26, 2015, 07:05:24 am
I disagree. He's just spent the last four years trying to convince their top targets that Oklahoma St. is the next best thing since sliced bread. It will be hard to go into those same living rooms and say "I was wrong. The best thing for you young man, is to come to Arkansas."
He might bring in some elite RB's this season but it would be the ones we were already on. The next season would be the one I would start judging him on.

Also, why is his salary a disclaimer in it? I expect results from all our staff no matter what they are paid.

He's one of the highest paid RB coaches in the nation.  He's recruiting to Bret Bielema's system at RBU.  We are in dire need of big time talent at the RB position after JW and AC are gone, which could be after this season.  He has to hit the ground running.  We need at least one elite back in THIS class. 

These were always my expectations of whoever got this job.  Joel Thomas' (lack of) recruiting put those needs on the next guy.

JS is a definite upgrade over JT.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: Wildhog on February 26, 2015, 10:32:28 am
He's one of the highest paid RB coaches in the nation.  He's recruiting to Bret Bielema's system at RBU.  We are in dire need of big time talent at the RB position after JW and AC are gone, which could be after this season.  He has to hit the ground running.  We need at least one elite back in THIS class. 

These were always my expectations of whoever got this job.  Joel Thomas' (lack of) recruiting put those needs on the next guy.

This 100%. After this year, JWill will be gone, and we need to have a top recruit rb to come in and share the load with AC. As of right now we don't know how good Day and RW3 are/will be, so I'd rather not that be our only option.

ricepig

Quote from: PaintballHog on February 26, 2015, 10:38:55 am
This 100%. After this year, JWill will be gone, and we need to have a top recruit rb to come in and share the load with AC. As of right now we don't know how good Day and RW3 are/will be, so I'd rather not that be our only option.

True, but we didn't really know how good AC was either, or really JWill since had limited carries in 2012.

ricepig

I definitely agree that we need a top shelf RB this year. I do think that our roster had some to do with the lack of RB recruits the past two years. We aren't going to stack up 5/4* RB recruits like Bama or LSU, or I don't think we can.

Pork Twain

Quote from: southeasthog on February 26, 2015, 07:05:24 am
I disagree. He's just spent the last four years trying to convince their top targets that Oklahoma St. is the next best thing since sliced bread. It will be hard to go into those same living rooms and say "I was wrong. The best thing for you young man, is to come to Arkansas."
He might bring in some elite RB's this season but it would be the ones we were already on. The next season would be the one I would start judging him on.

Also, why is his salary a disclaimer in it? I expect results from all our staff no matter what they are paid.
Not sure if serious...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: A Hogwork Orange on February 25, 2015, 01:00:03 pm

How well does he recruit? Honestly I don't know much about him.

My guess is that coach BB, won't hire an assistant that can't recruit well....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

MrKnowItAll

Jemal Singleton Uncut Interview 2-26

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/jemal-singleton-uncut-interview-2-26/34550/VrXk8nN5pk6zLp98xAcAFw

New running backs coach Jemal Singleton addressing the Arkansas media for the first time Thursday (2-26).

Hogpkins

Thanks for link. Wow, if we're just judging from his press conference he's already a slam dunk. He says he was Chief Media Officer at LRAB in Jacksonville, and it's very obvious that he's extremely comfortable around the media. He should be great in the living rooms!

Mike Irwin

Almost every coaching staff I've ever been around has anywhere from two to five bird dog-type recruiters. The other coaches get help from the bird dogs.

Bielema said yesterday that he doesn't require his coordinators to be elite recruiters. If they are good at it (like Robb Smith) he considers it a bonus. With position coaches he said if they aren't really good recruiters then they'd better be outstanding at developing players or they won't remain on the staff.

Watching some mic'd up video of Singleton from an OSU practice it's obvious that he's got a solid "keep it light/time to get serious" approach when working with his backs. He knows what he's doing.

Regardless of what you guys say about Thomas the issue wasn't recruiting with him. He had an Alex Collins problem. Bielema believes that Collins regressed a bit last year and that is unacceptable to him. The two suspensions Collins had was also an issue, an issue laid partially at Thomas' feet (he's your guy, get him straight).

Thomas wasn't fired. He wasn't encouraged to leave. But he knew if Collins didn't have an outstanding junior year he might be without a job come January. So he did what Chaney did. He got himself another job.

With regard to recruiting Singleton will work Oklahoma and parts of Texas & Louisiana. It won't be up to him alone to bring in an elite replacement for J-Will & Collins. He will get plenty of help from the bird dogs on the staff.

His main job this season will be getting Collins focused to become one of the top running backs in college football. Pretty good is not what Bielema wants from that kid. If they're going to go back into Florida for future big time running backs Collins needs to be fully developed. Otherwise competing coaches are going to be telling Arkansas' targets in Florida, You want to be another Alex Collins? Go to Arkansas where you can be pretty good but not great.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 27, 2015, 07:25:58 am
Almost every coaching staff I've ever been around has anywhere from two to five bird dog-type recruiters. The other coaches get help from the bird dogs.

Bielema said yesterday that he doesn't require his coordinators to be elite recruiters. If they are good at it (like Robb Smith) he considers it a bonus. With position coaches he said if they aren't really good recruiters then they'd better be outstanding at developing players or they won't remain on the staff.

Watching some mic'd up video of Singleton from an OSU practice it's obvious that he's got a solid "keep it light/time to get serious" approach when working with his backs. He knows what he's doing.

Regardless of what you guys say about Thomas the issue wasn't recruiting with him. He had an Alex Collins problem. Bielema believes that Collins regressed a bit last year and that is unacceptable to him. The two suspensions Collins had was also an issue, an issue laid partially at Thomas' feet (he's your guy, get him straight).

Thomas wasn't fired. He wasn't encouraged to leave. But he knew if Collins didn't have an outstanding junior year he might be without a job come January. So he did what Chaney did. He got himself another job.

With regard to recruiting Singleton will work Oklahoma and parts of Texas & Louisiana. It won't be up to him alone to bring in an elite replacement for J-Will & Collins. He will get plenty of help from the bird dogs on the staff.

His main job this season will be getting Collins focused to become one of the top running backs in college football. Pretty good is not what Bielema wants from that kid. If they're going to go back into Florida for future big time running backs Collins needs to be fully developed. Otherwise competing coaches are going to be telling Arkansas' targets in Florida, You want to be another Alex Collins? Go to Arkansas where you can be pretty good but not great.

as usual, thanks for the insight Mike!  For me, fills in the blanks for questions I had regarding Thomas' departure as well as Bielema's expectations of his coaches.  Good stuff!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

PorkRinds

There is some truth here.  It should also be pointed out that Collins wasn't a huge fan of Thomas and his style of coaching.  He just didn't mesh with Thomas.  Hopefully the new guy can work better with him than Thomas. 

Cinco de Hogo

While the RB position is important I believe a lot of people could coach two 1000 yd performers in BB's system.  I'm gonna be looking for improvement on special teams this year as one of the areas that could improve enough to get us a couple wins that were losses last season.

wholehog92

Great prospective and fills in some gaps for me.

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 27, 2015, 08:41:43 am
While the RB position is important I believe a lot of people could coach two 1000 yd performers in BB's system.  I'm gonna be looking for improvement on special teams this year as one of the areas that could improve enough to get us a couple wins that were losses last season.

You may be disappointed.  I doubt much changes in practice on special teams.  I can add 2 and 2 to come up with 4 here.

Look at the situation with a title only co-coordinator at texass and pay attention to where they stole him from and what is happening with the buyout.  Serious power struggle over money in okie light.  We are just smarter than texass on how we do business.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 27, 2015, 10:36:50 am
Great prospective and fills in some gaps for me.

You may be disappointed.  I doubt much changes in practice on special teams.  I can add 2 and 2 to come up with 4 here.

Look at the situation with a title only co-coordinator at texass and pay attention to where they stole him from and what is happening with the buyout.  Serious power struggle over money in okie light.  We are just smarter than texass on how we do business.

You lost me, my post was just a simple statement that I hope he helps improve ST's since that is in his job discription. 

Pork Twain

Thanks for the solid info Mike.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 27, 2015, 08:41:33 am
There is some truth here. It should also be pointed out that Collins wasn't a huge fan of Thomas and his style of coaching. He just didn't mesh with Thomas.  Hopefully the new guy can work better with him than Thomas.
You are correct and it went beyond that. Collins' HS coach wasn't happy with Collins lack of development under Thomas.

It's a fine line. You can't let players and their HS coaches dictate the coaches you have on your staff but at the same time Bielema cannot afford to have recruiting issues in Florida.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a big change in Collins starting this spring. He's never been a trouble maker but he hasn't been focused. It's Singleton's job to change that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 27, 2015, 01:53:55 pm
You are correct and it went beyond that. Collins' HS coach wasn't happy with Collins lack of development under Thomas.

It's a fine line. You can't let players and their HS coaches dictate the coaches you have on your staff but at the same time Bielema cannot afford to have recruiting issues in Florida.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a big change in Collins starting this spring. He's never been a trouble maker but he hasn't been focused. It's Singleton's job to change that.

Yeah, there were some dynamics going on there that made it a situation where multiple folks weren't happy.

NVRyield

That's the first I've heard that.  Are there any specifics you can share that's fit for public knowledge Mike?  Or that might already be public? 
Thanks

Mike Irwin

Quote from: NVRyield on February 27, 2015, 03:23:55 pm
That's the first I've heard that.  Are there any specifics you can share that's fit for public knowledge Mike?  Or that might already be public? 
Thanks
We're not talking bad blood in practice or a game. No incidents between the two.
Collins didn't like Thomas' approach to coaching running backs and he didn't feel like he was making progress.

I assume at some point he shared his concerns with his HS coach who backed Collins. I wasn't told if this reached Bielema but I do know that Bielema is getting tired of all these little issues that are leading to suspensions. Missing class, missing or showing up late to a weight room session, etc.

Collins was suspended twice last year and Bielema wanted Thomas to correct the problem. There is a belief that Collins will be much happier under Singleton and the suspension problem is over.

We'll see.

Wooderson

The FIRST thing coach Singleton and B need to do is show Alex a highlight video of leveon Bell this year versus others. Leveon got serious about his conditioning and became the best back in football.  Maybe that will get Alex away from the nightlife and poor eating/work habits.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Inhogswetrust

If an Air Force Academy graduate and former officer in the military can't get a player focused then that make one start to wonder.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LJHOG

AFA.  Good enough for me.

LZH

Another bad hire for BB.  He can't spot talent, his assistants are generics, he doesn't know how to run a program, etc., etc., etc......
FYI....I think I'm contractually obligated to say that since I rattled off those exact words when Smith was hired as DC.

Sincerely,
Chef of Crow
WMFPS

NVRyield

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 27, 2015, 03:54:11 pm
We're not talking bad blood in practice or a game. No incidents between the two.
Collins didn't like Thomas' approach to coaching running backs and he didn't feel like he was making progress.

I assume at some point he shared his concerns with his HS coach who backed Collins. I wasn't told if this reached Bielema but I do know that Bielema is getting tired of all these little issues that are leading to suspensions. Missing class, missing or showing up late to a weight room session, etc.

Collins was suspended twice last year and Bielema wanted Thomas to correct the problem. There is a belief that Collins will be much happier under Singleton and the suspension problem is over.

We'll see.

I hope we see great things from both going forward.  Thanks for the clarification Mike.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LJHOG on February 27, 2015, 06:51:57 pm
AFA.  Good enough for me.

We hired a head coach from there one time as well. He did pretty good also.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Quote from: LZH on February 27, 2015, 07:07:54 pm
Another bad hire for BB.  He can't spot talent, his assistants are generics, he doesn't know how to run a program, etc., etc., etc......
FYI....I think I'm contractually obligated to say that since I rattled off those exact words when Smith was hired as DC.

Sincerely,
Chef of Crow
WMFPS

Nice, LZ.  :)

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on February 27, 2015, 07:07:54 pm

Sincerely,
Chef of Crow
WMFPS
There's something to be said for consistency. " GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

We'll see.

So you are saying that, "there is a new Marshall in town"? ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

We'll see.

If it reached you, it reached Coach Bielema. Come on.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 28, 2015, 08:22:38 am
If it reached you, it reached Coach Bielema. Come on.

He said that he didn't know if it reached Bielema or not. If he doesn't know, what else is he supposed to say? But then again, you can assume that it did, without actual knowledge of whether it did or didn't, which is what you are doing.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: steefhog on February 28, 2015, 07:34:33 am
Nice, LZ.  :)

Hey, a little cumin and hot sauce, and Crow ain't so bad............:P

Theolesnort

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 25, 2015, 03:31:39 pm
South of the border ? Mexico has 4 star RB'S ? He must be using the OBAMA plan .lol Or was you talking about Taco Bell  Having 4 star RB'S
For us dyed in the wool southerners the border is the Mason Dickson Line. ;D
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on February 28, 2015, 07:47:03 am
There's something to be said for consistency. " GO HOGS "
I appreciate his consistency. Read what he posts and know that he's certainly wrong, regardless of the subject. Heck, I use him as a source sometimes for that reason. :)

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: HoopS on March 01, 2015, 11:36:00 am
I appreciate his consistency. Read what he posts and know that he's certainly wrong, regardless of the subject. Heck, I use him as a source sometimes for that reason. :)

He manned up...you're feet in the sand with a beer cold drink in your hand and takin' in the sun must do that to you. 8)
We could use some sun, fun and sand here in NWA today...too much winter.

" GO HOGS "

LZH

Quote from: HoopS on March 01, 2015, 11:36:00 am

Is that a jab or a compliment?  I can't tell the difference anymore.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 25, 2015, 03:31:39 pm
South of the border ? Mexico has 4 star RB'S ? He must be using the OBAMA plan .lol Or was you talking about Taco Bell  Having 4 star RB'S

C'mon top.. That's too easy...  Kinda like picking on Corky because he smiles alkot...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jrhardy88

Sounds like an awesome hire.Nothing but respect for an academy graduate,that would speak volumes on it's own but career following seems very solid too.Class act.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

HoopS

Quote from: LZH on March 01, 2015, 02:56:15 pm
Is that a jab or a compliment?  I can't tell the difference anymore.
yes