Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brandon Allen per ESPN

Started by Abominable Hillbilly, February 23, 2015, 10:36:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Abominable Hillbilly

Has him listed #7 going into next season.  I think with the replacement of Chaney Allen will be much better.

"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

Abominable Hillbilly

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=98311&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FsFwJh1sEtK%22%7D
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

bigdaddyhawg

I was kind of peeved when I saw the title here, but after I saw his list I think it's pretty fair.

I think maybe AU's Johnson might be high, as he's unproven for the most part, but he's certainly got the talent.

TAMU's Allen would be the only one I'd definitely put behind BA at this point.  I'll be shocked if he lives up to his hype.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HF#1

I still think Allen is a better QB than Mauk.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Smokehouse

I'd rather have Allen than Mauk or Towles. For just this season I'd take him over Allen and Johnson just because of experience. I expect Allen to continue to progress and with the returning o-line and running backs I think having a fifth-year senior will pay dividends.

Overall a pretty fair ranking, though.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on February 23, 2015, 10:36:05 am
Has him listed #7 going into next season.  I think with the replacement of Chaney Allen will be much better.

who is Chaney Allen? and when did we replace him?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Paul

I think the list is pretty fair.  Johnson, Towles & Kyle Allen have great arms but I hope they lack the decision making skills.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Paul on February 23, 2015, 02:23:07 pm
I think the list is pretty fair.  Johnson, Towles & Kyle Allen have great arms but I hope they lack the decision making skills.
your in luck, they do. They all three make worse decisions than BA.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

LRrazorback

The others mentioned may not be fifth yr seniors so some decision making may be weaker but I bet they're not near as frail.  I'm scared anytime Allen leaves the pocket, although I wish he did it more.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HF#1 on February 23, 2015, 01:49:42 pm
I still think Allen is a better QB than Mauk.

I agree for he most part. Allen's ratios are better even their yards per game isn't really a significance difference (remember Mizz played an extra game).

The only thing I would give Mauk an edge in is I have seen him make game winning plays in 50-50 type games.

redeye

Greg McElroy was never a playmaker and he led Alabama to a national championship.  As an Alabama alum, you'd think Scarborough would know better.

HF#1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 23, 2015, 03:43:45 pm
I agree for he most part. Allen's ratios are better even their yards per game isn't really a significance difference (remember Mizz played an extra game).

The only thing I would give Mauk an edge in is I have seen him make game winning plays in 50-50 type games.

Mauk had playmakers and a play caller that would trust him to make those plays in a 50/50 game.  We didn't have that with Chaney and BA didn't have the playmakers on the outside.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

hawginbigd1

I wouldn't put K Allen or towels in front of BA, or LSU in front of anybody at QB. I am making the prediction right now AU's QB will be SEC POY, that dude is the real deal, think Winston only better.

pigbacon

TeedupHigh

Finally a quarterback thread about Brandon Allen/1  It's about time we did one of these.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on February 23, 2015, 10:36:05 am
Has him listed #7 going into next season.  I think with the replacement of Chaney, Allen will be much better.

I hope so. I also hope our receivers get better as well.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

ThisTeetsTaken

Bottom line on BA is we will never know how good he is if he can't stay healthy for an entire year. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HF#1 on February 23, 2015, 04:25:37 pm
Mauk had playmakers and a play caller that would trust him to make those plays in a 50/50 game.  We didn't have that with Chaney and BA didn't have the playmakers on the outside.

I can agree with that for the most part. But under throwing a fade route when Wilson has the DB beat at Miss State was on Allen.

Pigsknuckles

Peavey? ESPN needs to keep up. HV had Rafe as the next big name Razorback transfer.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Buff

I'm just hoping the new playcaller doesn't put Allen in so many "roll out and throw it in the stands" situations.

popcornhog

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 23, 2015, 02:11:36 pm
I'd rather have Allen than Mauk or Towles. For just this season I'd take him over Allen and Johnson just because of experience. I expect Allen to continue to progress and with the returning o-line and running backs I think having a fifth-year senior will pay dividends.

Overall a pretty fair ranking, though.

Agreed over Mauk. Towles is the real deal imho.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: redeye on February 23, 2015, 03:48:22 pm
Greg McElroy was never a playmaker and he led Alabama to a national championship.  As an Alabama alum, you'd think Scarborough would know better.

He had an incredible amount of talent around him though. BA would have to play very, very well and become a big time play make for us to win the NC next year. He's got talent around him, but not to the level that McEloroy had.

WPS

ChicoHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 23, 2015, 01:14:01 pm
I was kind of peeved when I saw the title here, but after I saw his list I think it's pretty fair.

I think maybe AU's Johnson might be high, as he's unproven for the most part, but he's certainly got the talent.

TAMU's Allen would be the only one I'd definitely put behind BA at this point.  I'll be shocked if he lives up to his hype.
I'd say just the opposite.  I agree with Prescott #1 but Dobbs#2?  Don't see it.  I would put Kyle Allen, Towles, Mauk then Dobbs, Brandon Allen, Johnson and the rest.  And there is very little difference between them as of now.  Next season's play will separate the men from the boys. 

hoghiker

Quote from: popcornhog on February 23, 2015, 08:27:08 pm
He had an incredible amount of talent around him though. BA would have to play very, very well and become a big time play make for us to win the NC next year. He's got talent around him, but not to the level that McEloroy had.

Allen's a decent quarterback. McEloroy was solid all around and could make game winning plays. It's Allen's year to prove he can make the plays that change games. We'll see.

TeufelHog

Get ready folks.  Enos is going to get things out of BA on the field that even BA didn't know he could deliver.  I just have a feeling the Hogs are going to surprise the livin' "Shiite" out of teams in the SEC this year!

We all knew there was some chemistry missing between CBB and Chaney.  Gonna be fun watching the Offensive and Defensive Staff take the Hogs to the next level.

lefty08

Quote from: Buff on February 23, 2015, 08:14:35 pm
I'm just hoping the new playcaller doesn't put Allen in so many "roll out and throw it in the stands" situations.

Yep, we would all rather see the ole roll out and throw into coverage play
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Buff

Stfu. Problem with Chaney's roll out plays was only one receiver on that side of the field. They were literally throw-away plays.

WardamnHOGGLE

I thought BA grew as the year went on.  I didn't like his play early, but he got better and I'm looking forward to him running the show.

Abominable Hillbilly

BA is very accurate normally.  I hope he can learn to look around and not stare down the receiver he has predetermined to throw to.  He missed some wide open receivers this past season that he didn't see

PorkSoda

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on February 24, 2015, 07:07:55 am
I thought BA grew as the year went on.  I didn't like his play early, but he got better and I'm looking forward to him running the show.
I agree, I expect him to be solid as senior this coming season.  he has improved each year and each season as it progresses.  He also made quite a few clutch third down throws.  he is definitely a late bloomer, but now that he is a senior, that should work in our favor.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Andrew Fabacher

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on February 24, 2015, 12:29:16 pm
BA is very accurate normally.  I hope he can learn to look around and not stare down the receiver he has predetermined to throw to.  He missed some wide open receivers this past season that he didn't see

There's no doubt BA missed seeing open guys. And yes, sometimes it was due to him locking onto a particular guy. However, as someone who (years ago) played QB in college (although nowhere near the D-1 level) I can tell you that things look mighty different from the field. There are bodies flying around everywhere and, unless you are 6'6" or better you're looking through lanes. Even a QB with superior peripheral vision will seldom be able to see more than two receivers at a time. It's unusual to have enough time to "look around" for more than three receivers. It's not unusual to look toward a receiver, anticipating where he will be at that point of the play, and not see him at all. A D-lineman might have a hand up, blocking your view. An O-lineman might have given a little extra ground, changing the angle of your viewing lane. A linebacker (or D-lineman) may have dropped deeper than normal or may not have dropped as deep as normal.
The bottom line is that just because we can see it in the stands or on TV, doesn't mean the QB (regardless of who he is) can see it on the field. (Hint:Why do we put coaches in the press box? So they can SEE what other coaches can't see on the field.)
I understand that many think BA makes too many pre-snap determinations regarding where he will throw. I personally don't agree with that assessment. I understand that there are those frustrated with the fact that he throws so many balls away. Doesn't bother me a bit. To play 13 games  against (mostly) quality opponents and throw 20 TD's & only 5 picks is good. Very good.
BA's not perfect. But anyone who can't see that he is a good QB either doesn't understand the game or has an anti-BA (or pro-someone else) agenda.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on February 24, 2015, 12:29:16 pm
BA is very accurate normally. 

Okay, I love how BA finished the year, and it gives me great hope for 2015.

But I don't see how in the world you can make the above statement.  Accuracy is almost undoubtedly his biggest downfall, or has been.

Like I say, he had a great bowl game and if he plays that way this fall we are going to have a very, VERY good offense led by Mr. Allen, so don't take it that I'm ragging on him.

Also, don't tell WilsonHog I even made this post, please.  Thank you.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

pigture perfect

BA is usually accurate when throwing to an actual receiver. I think he gives up too early on some plays and throws out of bounds before necessary.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: Andrew Fabacher on February 24, 2015, 01:05:27 pm
To play 13 games  against (mostly) quality opponents and throw 20 TD's & only 5 picks is good. Very good.
BA's not perfect. But anyone who can't see that he is a good QB either doesn't understand the game or has an anti-BA (or pro-someone else) agenda.
well said. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 24, 2015, 01:52:01 pm
BA is usually accurate when throwing to an actual receiver. I think he gives up too early on some plays and throws out of bounds before necessary.

For the majority of his first two years as a starter he was accurate about 50% of the time.  I don't consider that "usually accurate".

I predict he will break that mold this fall.  I'm predicting 60+% for him this fall.

Abominable Hillbilly

I feel he is accurate when actually throwing to a receiver. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on February 24, 2015, 03:29:30 pm
I feel he is accurate when actually throwing to a receiver. 

I think he's accurate when he throws the ball and it hits the receiver in the hands.  Otherwise, not so much.

Sportster365

this is not a favorable ranking at all. The only true returning starter he's ranked ahead of is Brandon Jennings and he's 8th. That alone says it all. Allen's a 5th year senior with 2 starting seasons under his belt, should've been ranked higher

swinemaster

There's no doubt BA missed seeing open guys. And yes, sometimes it was due to him locking onto a particular guy. However, as someone who (years ago) played QB in college (although nowhere near the D-1 level) I can tell you that things look mighty different from the field. There are bodies flying around everywhere and, unless you are 6'6" or better you're looking through lanes. Even a QB with superior peripheral vision will seldom be able to see more than two receivers at a time. It's unusual to have enough time to "look around" for more than three receivers. It's not unusual to look toward a receiver, anticipating where he will be at that point of the play, and not see him at all. A D-lineman might have a hand up, blocking your view. An O-lineman might have given a little extra ground, changing the angle of your viewing lane. A linebacker (or D-lineman) may have dropped deeper than normal or may not have dropped as deep as normal.
The bottom line is that just because we can see it in the stands or on TV, doesn't mean the QB (regardless of who he is) can see it on the field. (Hint:Why do we put coaches in the press box? So they can SEE what other coaches can't see on the field.)
I understand that many think BA makes too many pre-snap determinations regarding where he will throw. I personally don't agree with that assessment. I understand that there are those frustrated with the fact that he throws so many balls away. Doesn't bother me a bit. To play 13 games  against (mostly) quality opponents and throw 20 TD's & only 5 picks is good. Very good.

This is EXACTLY what separates the average to poor QBs from the great ones.  Pocket presence and the ability to find the open man is what it's all about.

See 6'0" Drew Brees. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Finally, some reason.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Tyro3

Hogville, reason? what planet are you from?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Tyro3 on February 24, 2015, 04:57:06 pm
Hogville, reason? what planet are you from?

Thus, the ''Finally''.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

redeye

Quote from: popcornhog on February 23, 2015, 08:27:08 pm

Yea, good point.

bigdaddyhawg

There's a lot of quality in this post, and some questionable stuff as well.

No QB hits every open receiver, for a number of reasons.  But I think the allegation of Brandon missing open guys came more from the perspective that "his receivers don't get open".

Last year Brandon was very inconsistent, and that's my biggest criticism of him.  He would show flashes during a game, then have key series when he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

But the biggest problem I have with your post is the reference to an "agenda", which is code word on here among many that any criticism of Brandon is considered hating or bashing or going after a good kid.

And that is a falsehood for the most overwhelming percentage who post on here.

PorkSoda

Quote from: swinemaster on February 24, 2015, 04:20:59 pm
This is EXACTLY what separates the average to poor QBs from the great ones.  Pocket presence and the ability to find the open man is what it's all about.

See 6'0" Drew Brees. 
well, let me know when we recruit the next drew brees

Andrew Fabacher

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 24, 2015, 05:05:41 pm
But the biggest problem I have with your post is the reference to an "agenda", which is code word on here among many that any criticism of Brandon is considered hating or bashing or going after a good kid.

And that is a falsehood for the most overwhelming percentage who post on here.

The "agenda" statement was tied to the "BA is not a good QB" statement. I certainly understand that being critical of a QB doesn't mean a person has an agenda. Although I hardly ever post, I have spent a lot of time here reading over the past several years. It's obvious that there are agendas, although I would agree that does not appear to be true of many (most) posters. For me, perspective is important.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Andrew Fabacher on February 24, 2015, 06:17:46 pm
The "agenda" statement was tied to the "BA is not a good QB" statement. I certainly understand that being critical of a QB doesn't mean a person has an agenda. Although I hardly ever post, I have spent a lot of time here reading over the past several years. It's obvious that there are agendas, although I would agree that does not appear to be true of many (most) posters. For me, perspective is important.
an agenda implies some sort of perceived gain by the poster.  I think its more that people have an opinion, and that opinion colors all future observations.  ie, they perceive BA as a choker in one game, and every game they see after that only reinforces that opinion because the only tend to notice when something supports their preconceived idea.  for instance, they see him throw the ball away 5 times in one game, yet don't give him credit for the third and longs he converts.

If they had an 'agenda' it would mean for instance, that they have a cousin who is a back up QB, and they bad mouth BA in an attempt to get him benched so that their cousin can start at QB.

I doubt the latter happens as much as the former.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Andrew Fabacher on February 24, 2015, 06:17:46 pm

Agree, but my perspective my differ from yours.

Almost every time I've been critical of BA, I've been labeled as a hater or a basher, when that is not the case.  I root for Brandon.  I see his potential, and I think it is largely on him that he really hasn't come close to fulfilling the potential I see, bowl game excepted.

But I don't have any emotional ties to Brandon like many on here.  I like him, he seems like a nice kid, and I want him to be an Arkansas hero -- a local boy leading the Hogs to great victories.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 25, 2015, 10:00:15 am
Agree, but my perspective my differ from yours.

Almost every time I've been critical of BA, I've been labeled as a hater or a basher, when that is not the case.  I root for Brandon.  I see his potential, and I think it is largely on him that he really hasn't come close to fulfilling the potential I see, bowl game excepted.

But I don't have any emotional ties to Brandon like many on here.  I like him, he seems like a nice kid, and I want him to be an Arkansas hero -- a local boy leading the Hogs to great victories.
Bigdaddy I think you are definitely bringing it in this thread, as i feel almost exactly the way you do. I get accused of having an agenda (which i actually do, i want the Hogs to win every game), or bashing BA, which I am not. I am pointing out his weaknesses which are: he loves HH way too much, he pre-snap determines where he is going with the ball too often (many times to HH), he stares down his receivers too often and doesn't come off initial target or go through his progression, and lastly he has a footwork weakness ( he does not set his feet too many times and he misses his target). That is not bashing or an agenda, it is what happens that keeps him and the team from being able to be as succesful as they could be.